Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
hmmm guess I need to keep up with posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MooselanderII posted:

Aren't you the guy who couldn't wrap his mind around the phrase "Medicare for all"?

I think he's the dude who said money in politics was a positive thing

Or that might've been Iron Rose, the Hillary sell outs all seem to blur into one horrible toxic sludge monster

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
oh cool binow found the same boston globe article i did so i can just quote this bit i found hilarious

quote:

Ian Carleton, the chairman of the Vermont Democratic Party, said the party's efforts to secure the nomination for Sanders is a concession to political reality: Polls indicate that Sanders is so popular in Vermont that no Democrat has a real chance of beating him.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My argument was that nationalized healthcare won't look like medicare so why call it that.

Awww, baby's first political campaign slogan.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't hate Bernie at all. Just pointing you guys come up with poo poo but never seem to care if Bernie broke or breaks them so long as you can complain about "Centrists" or "Clintons" or someone you disagree with.

I already said we should use him.

Good. Should we use him by endorsing the policies he endorses?

And if not, why?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh cool binow found the same boston globe article i did so i can just quote this bit i found hilarious

:eyepop:

Bernie owns

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I think he's the dude who said money in politics was a positive thing

Or that might've been Iron Rose, the Hillary sell outs all seem to blur into one horrible toxic sludge monster

I think money in politics is a bad thing. Keep tilting at those windmills bro.

MooselanderII posted:

Awww, baby's first political campaign slogan.

It's a dumb slogan because it promises something it's not; but whatever you want to call it fine I am not going to waste time trying to argue over it.

Ze Pollack posted:

Good. Should we use him by endorsing the policies he endorses?

And if not, why?

I don't no why you think I am going to say no this given my response to the first.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait, wouldn't this be a good thing? It's an opportunity for a centrist - a Clinton, no less - to lose to a leftist in a hilarious, humiliating fashion. The party can run Chelsea, and the party can support Chelsea, but ultimately it's up to the voters to decide who wins. And if the left can't even overcome a political nobody running entirely on the strength of their (widely-unpopular) name and connections in a safe blue district, there's not much hope for the revolution.

ahahahahaha jesus christ can you even imagine the white hot ball of rage if the Bernie Bros backed a candidate to the left of Chelsea in a contested election?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

ahahahahaha jesus christ can you even imagine the white hot ball of rage if the Bernie Bros backed a candidate to the left of Chelsea in a contested election?

p sure we just got done living through it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its not like he carpetbagged his way to a hilariously safe Senate seat like some people

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's a dumb slogan because it promises something it's not; but whatever you want to call it fine I am not going to waste time trying to argue over it.

Make America Great Again - a dumb slogan that promises something it's not

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

would jefferson clay freak out if he ever had to go to vermont? sounds like it's a state full of berniecrats. they even vote for bernie over real democrats

a state full of backstabbers

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
This is... not what you claimed at all:

quote:

Ian Carleton, the chairman of the Vermont Democratic Party, said the party's efforts to secure the nomination for Sanders is a concession to political reality: Polls indicate that Sanders is so popular in Vermont that no Democrat has a real chance of beating him.
Yeah, we know they didn't run another Democrat in his place after he turned down the nomination to run as a Democrat, because they didn't want to split the ticket. I've said in the past that I think it's stupid that he does this, but you keep trying to draw comparisons between this and what the DNC did for Hillary and what people here are worried they will do for Chelsea. It doesn't hold water.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think money in politics is a bad thing. Keep tilting at those windmills bro.

I don't no why you think I am going to say no this given my response to the first.

If you think money in politics is a bad thing then why did you back the candidate and continue to defend the party that represents above all else, money in politics? 🤔

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its not like he carpetbagged his way to a hilariously safe Senate seat like some people

2000 senate seat in NY wasn't exactly safe.

icantfindaname posted:

Make America Great Again - a dumb slogan that promises something it's not

My point was there's no reason to promise something it's not when you can just say exactly what it is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

p sure we just got done living through it

it'd make the presidential primary look like nothing, only excepting the slight importance of the seat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kilroy posted:

Yeah, we know they didn't run another Democrat in his place after he turned down the nomination to run as a Democrat, because they didn't want to split the ticket. I've said in the past that I think it's stupid that he does this, but you keep trying to draw comparisons between this and what the DNC did for Hillary and what people here are worried they will do for Chelsea. It doesn't hold water.

i think the article was written before the primary election but bernie won as the democrat candidate, declined it, and thus no one else could run as a democrat in the general

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

would jefferson clay freak out if he ever had to go to vermont? sounds like it's a state full of berniecrats. they even vote for bernie over real democrats

a state full of backstabbers

The original racesexist state. All led by that tyrant sexist King Bernard

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kilroy posted:

That's literally what clearing the field means in most races. I am not at all endorsing them doing it for Hillary in the presidential primary, just pointing out that they did it for Bernie (which they did.)

I don't even care that they did, but y'all have these weird ideas that Bernie is some kind of politician that is "above" the game, when he's not at all.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

If you think money in politics is a bad thing then why did you back the candidate and continue to defend the party that represents above all else, money in politics? 🤔

Because I don't think that's what either Hillary or the DNC represent?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think the article was written before the primary election but bernie won as the democrat candidate, declined it, and thus no one else could run as a democrat in the general

Yes, and Schumer who was DSCC at the time, and Reid as leader, both tactically endorsed that plan because they were busy fighting other fires and figured that Sanders was better than splitting a vote and letting some rear end in a top hat Republican take the seat.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I guess I can put myself in a Hillary supporters shoes-

I'd be pretty pissed if i learned that my opponent in the primary was the most popular and beloved politician in North and South America

And my abuela was back to giving paid speeches :allears:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bernie-san.. shinjirarenai....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's literally what clearing the field means in most races. I am not at all endorsing them doing it for Hillary in the presidential primary, just pointing out that they did it for Bernie (which they did.)

Not the same. Hillary was eminently beatable in 2016. Bernie was not.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Excellent. So you're in agreement that Bernie's policies are the way forward.

What, in that case, are you here to argue, beyond your personal distaste for the people who have been saying so longer than you?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't even care that they did, but y'all have these weird ideas that Bernie is some kind of politician that is "above" the game, when he's not at all.

Because I don't think that's what either Hillary or the DNC represent?

Yes, and Schumer who was DSCC at the time, and Reid as leader, both tactically endorsed that plan because they were busy fighting other fires and figured that Sanders was better than splitting a vote and letting some rear end in a top hat Republican take the seat.

Tell me in one sentence what do the Clintons represent?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

2000 senate seat in NY wasn't exactly safe.

When's the last time the dems haven't had at least a 10 point lead? Nixon?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Not the same. Hillary was eminently beatable in 2016. Bernie was not.

That's not what I said dude. I said they cleared the field for him in a senate race. Which they did. It happens. It's part of politics.

Ze Pollack posted:

Excellent. So you're in agreement that Bernie's policies are the way forward.

What, in that case, are you here to argue, beyond your personal distaste for the people who have been saying so longer than you?

I don't think all of his policies or strategies are the way forward.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

clinton was hilariously unpopular throughout the race. she started off hated and ended up loathed.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah I noticed that and what I gather is that Sanders announced he would run as an independent, and the Democrats in Vermont were like "gently caress" because they don't want to split the ticket but they also can't just not run anyone. So they convinced Sanders to run in the Democratic primary and pinky-swore that if he won and then declined the nomination to run as an independent, they wouldn't run someone else in his place. Like I've said I think this is all pretty dumb, but on the other hand he ran in the primary and even if didn't have the (D) next to his name on the ballot, the fact remains he was the guy Vermont Democratic primary voters wanted on it. I don't see the problem here.

And of course it completely blows out of the water BI NOW GAY LATER's claim that there were some heavy-hitting Vermont Democrats who were totally going to take that seat from Bernie, but chose not to because the DNC asked them for a favor. So thanks for posting that BI NOW GAY LATER!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

When's the last time the dems haven't had at least a 10 point lead? Nixon?

In 1998 Patacki had just won something like every county in New York in the governor's race and Rudy Guliani was a still fairly popular figure. Both of them would have likely tossed their hat into that senate seat race if HRC hadn't.

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I noticed that and what I gather is that Sanders announced he would run as an independent, and the Democrats in Vermont were like "gently caress" because they don't want to split the ticket but they also can't just not run anyone. So they convinced Sanders to run in the Democratic primary and pinky-swore that if he won and then declined the nomination to run as an independent, they wouldn't run someone else in his place. Like I've said I think this is all pretty dumb, but on the other hand he ran in the primary and even if didn't have the (D) next to his name on the ballot, the fact remains he was the guy Vermont Democratic primary voters wanted on it. I don't see the problem here.

And of course it completely blows out of the water BI NOW GAY LATER's claim that there were some heavy-hitting Vermont Democrats who were totally going to take that seat from Bernie, but chose not to because the DNC asked them for a favor. So thanks for posting that BI NOW GAY LATER!

That's again, not what I said. I said there were people who would have ran. Is it this hard for you to admit Bernie isn't perfect and has been the beneficiary of the same party politics you hate so much?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

clinton was hilariously unpopular throughout the race. she started off hated and ended up loathed.

Everyone loates mealy mouthed corporate welfare policies and wage slavery for everyone else, who woulda thought

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's really not and anyone could have run in that primary against Bernie if they'd wanted. There is nothing in your article to indicate that Vermont Democrats, or national Democrats, were keeping people off the primary ballot in favor of Bernie - there was simply no one who could have won the primary against Bernie.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In 1998 Patacki had just won something like every county in New York in the governor's race and Rudy Guliani was a still fairly popular figure. Both of them would have likely tossed their hat into that senate seat race if HRC hadn't.

Giulani didn't run because his campaign was crashing and burning hard and would have been a complete shitshow if he'd actually gone the whole nine yards, not because he was being nice and fair-play. He was in the middle of a divorce by the time he withdrew.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kilroy posted:

It's really not and anyone could have run in that primary against Bernie if they'd wanted. There is nothing in your article to indicate that Vermont Democrats, or national Democrats, were keeping people off the primary ballot in favor of Bernie - there was simply no one who could have won the primary against Bernie.

They didn't because Schumer and Reid made it clear that he was their preferred candidate.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Giulani didn't run because his campaign was crashing and burning hard and would have been a complete shitshow if he'd actually gone the whole nine yards, not because he was being nice and fair-play.

That wasn't my implication. Only that there was more than enough reason for Dems to be concerned about that seat at the time she announced she was running for it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not what I said dude. I said they cleared the field for him in a senate race. Which they did. It happens. It's part of politics.

The part where he has any, at all, does appear to be a sticking point with most centrists, yes.

Look at it this way. Sometimes- and I know this is hard for Hillary supporters to hear- you have to do things you find personally distasteful in the name of winning elections.

Right now, one of those things is "listen when the most popular politician in America talks."

Your way was tried. It was a failure so abject that it made Donald Trump the President of the United States. A little self-doubt is probably in your best interests right now, strategically speaking.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's again, not what I said. I said there were people who would have ran. Is it this hard for you to admit Bernie isn't perfect and has been the beneficiary of the same party politics you hate so much?
In the primary? Who was going to run in the primary but didn't because the Democratic party asked nicely? The very article you posted claimed there were no Vermont Democrats capable of defeating Bernie.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They didn't because Schumer and Reid made it clear that he was their preferred candidate.
WHO?

Note that I'm not talking about whatever Democrat would have run in the general had Bernie not participated in the Democratic primary. I'm asking specifically for the name of this mystery person who totes would have beaten Bernie and secured the nomination for the general, but didn't because the DNC Reid and Schumer, apparently, asked them not to.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 20, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But they did it because they didn't think they could beat him.

Kilroy posted:

In the primary? Who was going to run in the primary but didn't because the Democratic party asked nicely? The very article you posted claimed there were no Vermont Democrats capable of defeating Bernie.

Biden, Brown Warren all probably beat her.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

But they did it because they didn't think they could beat him.

Guess why no one ran against Hillary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you know who would've really won though.....

bernie sanders

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

The part where he has any, at all, does appear to be a sticking point with most centrists, yes.

Look at it this way. Sometimes- and I know this is hard for Hillary supporters to hear- you have to do things you find personally distasteful in the name of winning elections.

Right now, one of those things is "listen when the most popular politician in America talks."

Your way was tried. It was a failure so abject that it made Donald Trump the President of the United States. A little self-doubt is probably in your best interests right now, strategically speaking.

I am not a "centrist."

Kilroy posted:

WHO?

Note that I'm not talking about whatever Democrat would have run in the general had Bernie not participated in the Democratic primary. I'm asking specifically for the name of this mystery person who totes would have beaten Bernie and secured the nomination for the general, but didn't because the DNC Reid and Schumer, apparently, asked them not to.

You're like talking to a log. Like Bernie benefited from the political system of power and money to have an easier road to his senate seat. This isn't difficult to imagine, but apparently impossible for you to even consider without a written note from Chuck Schumer saying they didn't want a contested primary in Vermont and were perfectly fine letting Bernie do his thing if it meant getting a senate seat.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not a "centrist."

Lmao at this

• Locked thread