Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alain Post posted:

Mass Effect 2...... what a game. oh baby....

Yeah... a game for babies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

ME: Andromeda - Don't Play It, SAM

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Palpek posted:

I watched some of those romance videos and there's some dissonance about how Bioware depicts relationships. Like, on one had you have gay and trans characters which is cool but on the other hand those romantic situations are pretty creepy in their overuse of "Confused/stressed/vulnerable crew member? Don't worry, I'm your boss and I'm here to help you out with the power of sex". Like, come on.

Dude this is 100% Citadel DLC. That Freddy Prince Jr guy comes up to your room for specifically for career advice then says "thanks for the help, time for me to go" and you straight up say "let's bang."

It's so painfully awkward and lovely that it's like something out of the '90s sexual harassment videos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't get why the humans make such a big deal over religion in mass effect when the Asari and Hanar both are deeply spiritual. Why do humans never discuss belief with alien religious leaders?

The Codex actually mentions a little on that note, or at least a similar one.

Apparently, Buddhism has made some inroads into turian culture, similar to its coexistence with Shinto beliefs in Japan. It's kind of a nice touch.

Mass Effect was sometimes kind of clever, in the before-times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Bioware are not good with social issues, I loving hate the right wing "virtue signaling" poo poo but a lot of this poo poo clearly comes off as overly performative.

This is actually a really bad post and you should feel bad. It's regressive as gently caress to say "Yeah, you have prominent gay characters in a series that has a lot of fans who literally hate gay people but it's not good because you're :siren: virtue signaling :siren: "

Like even if you know for a fact what the authorial intent is, the net effect is still undeniably positive. Next tell me that Horizon shouldn't have bothered having a female protagonist.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Palpek posted:

I watched some of those romance videos and there's some dissonance about how Bioware depicts relationships. Like, on one had you have gay and trans characters which is cool but on the other hand those romantic situations are pretty creepy in their overuse of "Confused/stressed/vulnerable crew member? Don't worry, I'm your boss and I'm here to help you out with the power of sex". Like, come on.

I've seen flirting with Gil and Suvi now and in both cases they immediately assure you "we'll bang okay" in one way or another. There's no trepidation--you are immediately comforted by the object of your flirtation that they are totally into it. In Inquisition it seemed like romances were given a little time to breathe or had to be built up. Try to flirt with Cullen and he's initially put off, even embarrassed; flirt with Cassandra and she keeps up the tough exterior, unimpressed; flirt with Josephine and she just doesn't notice. Dorian flirts with anyone because he thinks it's all in good fun and likes to be assured of his good looks, but he only gets serious about men later. I'll admit I haven't seen all these flirt scenes, but they seem dead set to say "when you said you liked me that was good and I like you too! :haw:"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Even Gamestop is jumping on the dogpile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvB_iztUAc

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

precision posted:

This is actually a really bad post and you should feel bad. It's regressive as gently caress to say "Yeah, you have prominent gay characters in a series that has a lot of fans who literally hate gay people but it's not good because you're :siren: virtue signaling :siren: "

Like even if you know for a fact what the authorial intent is, the net effect is still undeniably positive. Next tell me that Horizon shouldn't have bothered having a female protagonist.

The net gain of "there is a trans character in the game" is not offset by "but they deadname themselves in the very beginning and announce they are trans."

Bioware is very bad at handling these kind of things past KOTOR. It is bad if you represent a group poorly just for the sake of being able to say you represented them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

That's how angry i am!!!!! ENOUGH TO BEND SPACE TIME

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

monster on a stick posted:

I'm sure glad the original Mass Effect didn't have the sidequests all take place in the same three maps

I never said ME1 was very good, it has things that are obviously bad (like the combat) and overall is at best a 7/10 (just like Andromeda!)

But the way they re-used dungeons in DA2 was egregious even in comparison because it was actively deceptive.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The 75% reviews are pretty much where I stand on it. It's absolutely not a trainwreck as a game, the facial animations are never good. It's occasionally really janky. It doesn't bug out constantly like the clips would make you think though. Most of the time it even feels pretty slick! I've certainly never seen a T pose model in a cutscene or anything close to that level of broken.

Outside of bad facial animations the worst bugs I've seen are PB doing a weird jig around a table, someone with their back to me in a conversation, and a badguy stuck in a rock. I've certainly never seen anything like the contorting necks in DA2 or ME3, frankly.

There are really bad decisions. Some of the writing is trainwreck bad. Most of it is.. decent? (I've never thought ME was particularly well written, it's on the level of the average) The menus indeed suck. The galaxy map is just shockingly, bewilderingly slow.

Combat is really fun though, and the general exploration theme is compelling even if it isn't handled elegantly in game. It's nice to have something that's not quite so much "Galaxy apocalypse" At least where I am it makes sense to be poking around rather than feeling like I'm ignoring satans coming. It's nice.

There's some serious hyperbole flying around, is all. Unless maybe I'm not far enough in to see the real shitshow begin at least.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 20, 2017

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

How to play the different me3 dlcs on the xbone using backward compatibility?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

I get pissed off when I see gay/queer characters in games where the intent was clearly to make the author feel like a good person. IDK what to tell you. This happens all the time in poo poo like comic books and bad TV series.

Nazzadan posted:

The net gain of "there is a trans character in the game" is not offset by "but they deadname themselves in the very beginning and announce they are trans."

Bioware is very bad at handling these kind of things past KOTOR. It is bad if you represent a group poorly just for the sake of being able to say you represented them.

yeah

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ShineDog posted:

The 75% reviews are pretty much where I stand on it. It's absolutely not a trainwreck as a game, the facial animations are never good. It's occasionally really janky.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Spiders' ME: Andromeda

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nazzadan posted:

Right, and you know that's what they're doing because...?

Like in the case of Dragon Age, we actually do know that David Gaider is very gay and was actively trying to push a progressive roster for good faith reasons. I don't think there's enough information out there to just pound the gavel on the ME games.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:(

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oh wait I just remembered there is Sodoku in it, gently caress this game actually.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ShineDog posted:

The 75% reviews are pretty much where I stand on it. It's absolutely not a trainwreck as a game, the facial animations are never good. It's occasionally really janky. It doesn't bug out constantly like the clips would make you think though. Most of the time it even feels pretty slick! I've certainly never seen a T pose model in a cutscene or anything close to that level of broken.

Outside of bad facial animations the worst bugs I've seen are PB doing a weird jig around a table, someone with their back to me in a conversation, and a badguy stuck in a rock. I've certainly never seen anything like the contorting necks in DA2 or ME3, frankly.

There are really bad decisions. Some of the writing is trainwreck bad. Most of it is.. decent? (I've never thought ME was particularly well written, it's on the level of the average) The menus indeed suck. The galaxy map is just shockingly, bewilderingly slow.

Combat is really fun though, and the general exploration theme is compelling even if it isn't handled elegantly in game. It's nice to have something that's not quite so much "Galaxy apocalypse" At least where I am it makes sense to be poking around rather than feeling like I'm ignoring satans coming. It's nice.

There's some serious hyperbole flying around

it feels like 90% of the conflict is between people who are very emotionally invested in this game either being basically GOTY perfection and how dare anyone besmirch such art or people who are equally emotionally invested in this game being maybe the worst game ever made and if you made it, play it, or even look at it too hard it probably gave you bone cancer.

Most of the reviews are just 'yea the gameplay is fun, the UI is stupidly designed, holy poo poo the animations are as bad as they look, and some lines are delivered poorly' which...is fine?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hate the internet -- but mostly just gamers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

Does Cora always have that :smug: look on her face?

every loving day. Every single loving day when i come home this little human just sits there and gives me this stupid look on her face. What should i do about her? Ideas?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

I get pissed off when I see gay/queer characters in games where the intent was clearly to make the author feel like a good person. IDK what to tell you.

Well, start by telling me how you know the authorial intent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

I never said ME1 was very good, it has things that are obviously bad (like the combat) and overall is at best a 7/10 (just like Andromeda!)

How do you have such terrible opinions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DA:I had a gay character and his sidequest was literally to confront his dad who didn't accept him being gay, because I guess that's the limit for roles gay characters can play in fiction. At least he didn't die of Darkspawn HIV.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Nazzadan posted:

When did that happen?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

Oh wait I just remembered there is Sodoku in it, gently caress this game actually.

It's not sudoku, it's space archeology.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

it feels like 90% of the conflict is between people who are very emotionally invested in this game either being basically GOTY perfection and how dare anyone besmirch such art or people who are equally emotionally invested in this game being maybe the worst game ever made and if you made it, play it, or even look at it too hard it probably gave you bone cancer.

Most of the reviews are just 'yea the gameplay is fun, the UI is stupidly designed, holy poo poo the animations are as bad as they look, and some lines are delivered poorly' which...is fine?

Well the blatant shitposting too, I mean, I don't think anyone is really that into it one way or the other but you gotta be edgy and post without caps or punctuation about how owned everyone else is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Dude

That does not sound like a good video game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Like in the case of Dragon Age, we actually do know that David Gaider is very gay and was actively trying to push a progressive roster for good faith reasons. I don't think there's enough information out there to just pound the gavel on the ME games.

Unless it's gay men kissing because ewwwwwww, apparently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alain Post posted:

Bioware are not good with social issues, I loving hate the right wing "virtue signaling" poo poo but a lot of this poo poo clearly comes off as overly performative.

ehhh. not really. sure sometimes, stuff like the trans shopkeeper who dead names herself to talk about how she is trans to a total stranger. yeah, its just there for them to look good and get a pat on the back and it shows since its so shittly/lazily done. but krem and dorian are good characters whos gender/sexual identities(respectively add and compliment their character.

that being said. i HATE sera. like i don't hate sera because she is a lesbian, i hate because she is basically a lovely medieval fantasy equivalent to a online slactivist who rants about "punching down" and "loving up the big people" and also has lovely awful beliefs and is fine with ignoring real causes for her own petty ones that don't change anything really or make poo poo worse out of spite. i like to think this was intentional. but who knows.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

Well, start by telling me how you know the authorial intent.

I don't. That's how it comes across, especially since most trans people I know don't go out and tell someone they have never met "Hi, I am trans, I was formerly known as "XXXXXX" and was a dude but I am not that anymore. How are you doing."

Like how does this not come across as a) a writer *really* wanted to hammer home that they put a trans character in a scene, and b) they know literally nothing about trans people

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

precision posted:

It's time to accept that ME2 was a fluke on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

ME2 is like that band's one album that has five #1 hits on it, even the filler is good, and nothing they've done before or since eve comes close.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

precision posted:

I don't think there's enough information out there to just pound the gavel on the ME games.

I'm going off the evidence I've seen in ME:A which is that they portray a trans woman extremely poorly. Like, so poorly they have a spotlight shining down on them and they have TRANS tattoo'd on their forehead ala Leto's Joker.

That is either horrendous writing or pandering.

And the new squaddie from ME 3 which if you are even slightly nice to him as MaleShep he goes "MY HUSBAND IS DEAD, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SLEEP WITH ME? HAVE I MENTIONED I AM GAY?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehhh. not really. sure sometimes, stuff like the trans shopkeeper who dead names herself to talk about how she is trans to a total stranger. yeah, its just there for them to look good and get a pat on the back and it shows since its so shittly done. but krem and dorian are good characters whos gender/sexual identities(respectively add and compliment their character.

that being said. i HATE sera. like i don't hate sera because she is a lesbian, i hate because she is basically a lovely medieval fantasy equivalent to a online slactivist who rants about "punching down" and "loving up the big people" and also has lovely awful beliefs and is fine with ignoring real causes for her own petty ones that don't change anything really or make poo poo worse out of spite. i like to think this was intentional. but who knows.

I actually liked Zevran the most because he was a loving rear end in a top hat, which is not really a role gay characters are "allowed" to play a lot in fiction.

"Gay murderer" is actaully kind of a harmful cliche in itself but Zevran being a killer didn't seem like it stemmed from him being gay, if that makes sense.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RottenK posted:

When did that happen?

literally the first time you see her (only? I think she's a minor NPC) you ask 'hey what brings you to a project like this' and her response is "WELL I WAS A SCIENTIST NAMED STEVE AND WASN'T HAPPY" and you go 'cool bye'. It's exactly as hamfisted and clumsy as it sounds.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well the blatant shitposting too, I mean, I don't think anyone is really that into it one way or the other but you gotta be edgy and post without caps or punctuation about how owned everyone else is.

yea that's why I focused on the actual conflict. Most of this thread is just shitposting about a game that hilariously stumbled over its own dick which is fine/good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nazzadan posted:

I'm going off the evidence I've seen in ME:A which is that they portray a trans woman extremely poorly. Like, so poorly they have a spotlight shining down on them and they have TRANS tattoo'd on their forehead ala Leto's Joker.

That is either horrendous writing or pandering.

And the new squaddie from ME 3 which if you are even slightly nice to him as MaleShep he goes "MY HUSBAND IS DEAD, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SLEEP WITH ME? HAVE I MENTIONED I AM GAY?"

heh. he never did that with me. then again i only talked to him like 3 times. i though anders was more annoying with that though. basicaly anything that wasnt sucking his or his war on Templars agenda dicks netted disapproval.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I just hate having all this hot gay stuff shoved right down my throat by Bioware.

Just really crammed in there. Deep.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

sexpig by night posted:

In these modern, post-20th-century times, there is no appreciable spectrum of quality - everything is either unreservedly good or unreservedly bad, and it is vital that people point out as much as humanly possible which of the two any given object or subject is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nazzadan posted:

To be fair everyone in Bioware games does that.

Like even the straight relationships if you are nice characters start sending out the "gently caress ME NOW" signs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but author intent rarely matters as much as audience perception. It doesn't matter what you meant to say if people take it a different way.

Of course with audiences as big as those for the average AAA game then people are going to take every scene in all sorts of different ways so there's no real consensus, but that trans line still clunks so hard I can feel it under my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

literally the first time you see her (only? I think she's a minor NPC) you ask 'hey what brings you to a project like this' and her response is "WELL I WAS A SCIENTIST NAMED STEVE AND WASN'T HAPPY" and you go 'cool bye'. It's exactly as hamfisted and clumsy as it sounds.

That sounds really terrible, actually.