Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man...I really curious and excited in thinking about how Genndy ties everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tunicate posted:

Neat little subtle thing - the dagger ramps up with repeated strikes against something. Just one or two taps isn't that much of a bang.

Jack tapped the wall like fifty times

Yeah I know, but that's my point.

Jack would never really have to enter a building with enemies waiting for him again, like in the Shinobi vs. Samurai fight. Just walk up to any wall, do a little rendition of "In the Air Tonight", and Blamo! No more Chinese Laundry problem.

Roobanguy posted:

he let go of the knife when he fell into the river, so i have a feeling we won't be seeing it again.

Oh he did? Well that probably solves that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He would also never just blow up a building in case there's an ambush.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Crain posted:

the Shinobi vs. Samurai fight

Still hands down my favourite straight up fight.

God, the visuals in that; the ever shifting shadows and time always on the edge of running out as the sun sets :allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Turtlicious posted:

He would also never just blow up a building in case there's an ambush.

Sure, not just on an off chance. That's why I mentioned the Shinobi fight, he knew the dude was in there explicitly for an advantage.

Also he kinda literally did just blow up a building to avoid an ambush in the last episode. It's just that the ambush had already been sprung.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

TV Zombie posted:

Man...I really curious and excited in thinking about how Genndy ties everything up.

There is a zero percent chance that Jack makes it out alive. Maybe, Ashi eventually takes up his magic sword and steps forth to oppose or maybe time gets set right. But I cannot see this going any other way for Jack.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, phone posting. Jack would never blow up a building without knowing what is inside specifically.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
A part of me wants to believe Jack is gonna have Aku to send him back in time because Aku is all "UGH FINE JUST END ME ALREADY I'M SO TIRED OF THIS."

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

IronSaber posted:

A part of me wants to believe Jack is gonna have Aku to send him back in time because Aku is all "UGH FINE JUST END ME ALREADY I'M SO TIRED OF THIS."

A case of mutual destruction back at the beginning?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Dazerbeams posted:

A case of mutual destruction back at the beginning?

Something like that. In any case, idle speculation is the only thing keeping me from going crazy waiting for the next episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

The wolf was just meant to parallel his situation.

The dagger was something he acquired in the last episode (first of the new season), from Scaramouche. It's a sonic thing. As mentioned, it causes the things it hits to explode.

The fireflies were attracted to living things, I think. The assassins, Jack, the roots of the tree.

I can only guess about why he didn't squash the firefly; perhaps he assumed that they already saw the light seeping through the cracks. To smash the bug would only confirm his presence. He only had to hope that they didn't see him, would write it off as nothing, or failing that wait until the last moment to strike as he ended up doing in the episode.

Aside from being a metaphor, I think the reason Jack didn't swat the firefly was pretty simple, if you swat a firefly a lot of the time it'll glow after it dies. Better, more tactical decision by Jack is to pray that it stops glowing or that it flies away rather than swatting it and definitely getting glowing bug juice right on his body.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

IronSaber posted:

I kind of want the opposite, where Jack just has to live in a post-Aku hellscape and figure out where to go from here like everyone else. Aku's damage can't be undone.

I don't mind if they don't do that, but it'd be interesting.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I kind of want Jack to be returned to a point in time just before he has his first confrontation with Aku and then have the show cut out. I don't want to see Aku be destroyed, but I also don't think Jack can get too much closure without at least implying he will be victorious.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Crain posted:

Also he kinda literally did just blow up a building to avoid an ambush in the last episode. It's just that the ambush had already been sprung.

Well sure, but he literally JUST got done getting stabbed in the abdomen by one of the same girls who had just beaten him to a bloody pulp minutes before. I'm guessing he might have been a wee bit more desperate here than he otherwise would have been under normal circumstances.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

There is a zero percent chance that Jack makes it out alive. Maybe, Ashi eventually takes up his magic sword and steps forth to oppose or maybe time gets set right. But I cannot see this going any other way for Jack.

What makes you say that? Just out of curiosity?

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Thought this was a really interesting interpretation of the wolf

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah in a world where reboots are committing character assassination left & right, its a blessing to see this show. The first two episodes had me riveted, I would be kind of blown away if they take a dive.

Genuinely wishing for Jack and the wolf to become homies. We don't need an incessant death march into sadness every second of the show, give him something to bond with and maybe not have every episode be him going like totally insane.

and then kill it :unsmigghh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bust Rodd posted:

Genuinely wishing for Jack and the wolf to become homies. We don't need an incessant death march into sadness every second of the show, give him something to bond with and maybe not have every episode be him going like totally insane.
Pretty sure the wolf is dead, man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm half sure the wolf is Jack's sword.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Pretty sure the wolf is dead, man.

The wolf is just as alive as jack.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm really glad that they shown restraint when making this. They could have gone nuts since it was on adult swim and added considerably more blood or other "adult" subject matter. Instead, no swearing. Only the bad guys even say the word die or death and even then it's quite sparingly. Jack doesn't even mention the word suicide( though we all know that's what he's thinking of). I'm especially glad with the blood. There really wasn't that much, just a quick slice of the neck and a small pool. It's still hits you like a ton of bricks. The restraint actually enhances the effect, in my opinion.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Monaghan posted:

I'm really glad that they shown restraint when making this. They could have gone nuts since it was on adult swim and added considerably more blood or other "adult" subject matter. Instead, no swearing. Only the bad guys even say the word die or death and even then it's quite sparingly. Jack doesn't even mention the word suicide( though we all know that's what he's thinking of). I'm especially glad with the blood. There really wasn't that much, just a quick slice of the neck and a small pool. It's still hits you like a ton of bricks. The restraint actually enhances the effect, in my opinion.

Yeah. I remember being nervous after seeing some of the advertisements (and listening to my mother whining for several hours) that Jack would go full M FOR MATURE,and it hasn't. Sure,I wish there was a tad less music,but otherwise it's been a blast so far.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jesus loving christ this episode. The instant his slash connected with the Daughter attacking him, my hand went straight to my mouth and I muttered, "Jack, NO."

The first time this show's shown any major amount of blood, and it was because Jack slit a teenaged assassin's throat. Just... Jesus loving christ. That's a hell of a way to clear that hurdle.

e: The worst part was the feeling of dread after his "just nuts and bolts" line. I knew it was coming up, I just didn't know if they'd have the guts to go through with it. Wow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously, for anyone who didn't watch the original series, it's hard to emphasize how much of an incredible pivot that was. A bright, heroic character we all grew up with, who 50 years ago (his time) would've turned all the daughters against Aku in one episode's worth of time and saved them, just slashed one of them across the throat after barely scraping together an escape. The first real human-on-human kill we see on the show, and it's a girl probably half his (frozen) age.

Fffffffffffffuck.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
That's why I think the wolf is more of the ideal we've had of Jack up until now. The Noble Warrior Hero, butchers a brainwashed girl. Something he can't undo even if he could return to the past, because she's gonna be there in his mind now. If he survives, oh god, are the Daughters going to be there now in his breakdowns.

But this is also where we have to wonder if Gendy can do it. Because he didn't just make a quick and dirty change where 50 years from now and Jack's just this Grim and Gritty Monster from the Dark Age of Comics. We're seeing that potential decent right here. At its most palpable moment. So far the plot of season 5 seems to be about the Fall of Jack. A situation in which his old self could have avoided this conflict without bloodshed, now likely irreversibly set on a destructive path for Jack whether or not he physically survives. No matter how violent Episode 3 gets, the real damage is going to scar what was his mind before the fight. The part that see's his parents, regular people, even himself, suffering and damning his failure to fulfill his purpose.

"I will give you a new choice. Leave here now and live - or stay here and face your destiny."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 21, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yeah; these girls are pretty deadly, and Jack's at a pretty low point in his career. I don't think he could've really helped it at this point.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who finds the contrast between Aku's buffoonery and how grim and dark everything else is to be hilarious? Like, the daughters are a horrifying metaphor for child abuse, Jack's already got one foot in the grave, the mother of the Daughters of Aku is all dark and evil...

And then there's this complete moron doing morning stretches, complaining about his vacuumed floors, talking to his shrink about how stressed he is, and talking like an old man with a speech impediment. It's like Aku himself isn't really the major problem in the show; all the REALLY awful stuff seems more like just the natural consequence of having an immortal, all-powerful dictator take over the world.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 21, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chokes McGee posted:

Seriously, for anyone who didn't watch the original series, it's hard to emphasize how much of an incredible pivot that was. A bright, heroic character we all grew up with, who 50 years ago (his time) would've turned all the daughters against Aku in one episode's worth of time and saved them, just slashed one of them across the throat after barely scraping together an escape. The first real human-on-human kill we see on the show, and it's a girl probably half his (frozen) age.

Fffffffffffffuck.

I wouldn't go that far. You do remember how Tale of X9 ended, don't you?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah; these girls are pretty deadly, and Jack's at a pretty low point in his career. I don't think he could've really helped it at this point.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who finds the contrast between Aku's buffoonery and how grim and dark everything else is to be hilarious? Like, the daughters are a horrifying metaphor for child abuse, Jack's already got one foot in the grave, the mother of the Daughters of Aku is all dark and evil...

And then there's this complete moron doing morning stretches, complaining about his vacuumed floors, talking to his shrink about how stressed he is, and talking like an old man with a speech impediment. It's like Aku himself isn't really the major problem in the show; all the REALLY awful stuff seems more like just the natural consequence of having an immortal, all-powerful dictator take over the world.

Aku almost seems to have removed himself from being the great shape-shifting Master of Darkness. The tribute and praise annoy him. The doctor's wheeling out their latest toy to eliminate his enemy probably smell of failure before they even clink out of the door. The 50 years of waiting for that final confrontation or victory over the Samurai never happening. Aku's evil without an adversary. A villain that no longer belongs in the story because its moved wildly out of control into something else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aku just wants his husband the FOOLISH SAMURAI to not go straight to the bar after work COME AND FIGHT THE SHOGUN OF SORROW, AKU, IN A FINAL BATTLE WHERE AKU MAY FINALLY PUT AN END TO THE PITIFUL SAMURAI JAAAAACK

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Funky Valentine posted:

Aku just wants his husband the FOOLISH SAMURAI to not go straight to the bar after work COME AND FIGHT THE SHOGUN OF SORROW, AKU, IN A FINAL BATTLE WHERE AKU MAY FINALLY PUT AN END TO THE PITIFUL SAMURAI JAAAAACK

"oooh and also pick up the EGGSSSS on the way home."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crabtree posted:

That's why I think the wolf is more of the ideal we've had of Jack up until now. The Noble Warrior Hero, butchers a brainwashed girl. Something he can't undo even if he could return to the past, because she's gonna be there in his mind now. If he survives, oh god, are the Daughters going to be there now in his breakdowns.

But this is also where we have to wonder if Gendy can do it. Because he didn't just make a quick and dirty change where 50 years from now and Jack's just this Grim and Gritty Monster from the Dark Age of Comics. We're seeing that potential decent right here. At its most palpable moment. So far the plot of season 5 seems to be about the Fall of Jack. A situation in which his old self could have avoided this conflict without bloodshed, now likely irreversibly set on a destructive path for Jack whether or not he physically survives. No matter how violent Episode 3 gets, the real damage is going to scar what was his mind before the fight. The part that see's his parents, regular people, even himself, suffering and damning his failure to fulfill his purpose.

"I will give you a new choice. Leave here now and live - or stay here and face your destiny."

Yeah that's why I kind of agree with whoever said Jack doesn't leave this show alive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he dies fighting Aku and Ashi takes up his sword to kill her father, then goes forward as the people's protector in Jack's name. That's it, no getting back, no undoing the damage. Just moving forward.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You guys are really down on Jack. He's going to get over this, beat Aku, go back in time, and beat Aku again.

It'll be great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aku will beat Jack, but then bring him back because his victory will be meaningless without the FOOLISH SAMURAI

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aku shows up outside whevere JAck's hiding out with a boombox.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think the series is going to be "Breaking Bad but with swords" dark, but things do seem building up to some sort of bittersweet ending. I'm thinking either Jack and Aku mutually destroy each other and/or Jack never makes it back home.

It's funny that the series might have had a happier ending if it ended when it was supposed to years ago. I originally wasn't into the jokes about Jack's guilt being over the death/cancelation of his series, but it was hard not to think of that when Young Jack talked about wanting just an ending, any ending, even suicide.

Edit: That said, Aku better be super loving dead by the end of this. People didn't wait over ten years for Jack to not beat Aku.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Since we're making bets on what's going to happen:

Last episode, Jack jumps through the portal and stabs Aku right in the face, ending their battle once and for all. And after that, he starts to fade away into dust. He was in the future so long that he's a full product of it. Without Aku's evil in the future Jack was flung to, the Jack we know now disappears.

Cut to young Jack stepping out of the portal to a futuristic utopia of his home, grown without Aku's influence. His battle is over before it ever begun, and he is home.

WHA-CHA!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah that's why I kind of agree with whoever said Jack doesn't leave this show alive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he dies fighting Aku and Ashi takes up his sword to kill her father, then goes forward as the people's protector in Jack's name. That's it, no getting back, no undoing the damage. Just moving forward.

I mean in the first series we saw future jack going through the portal, so...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lol if you think he's not gonna get back to the past. It's in the song.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i believe in jack going back to the past.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jack will go back to the past, realize the past was lame, and then go back to the sick-rear end future and hang out with Scotsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Funky Valentine posted:

Jack will go back to the past, realize the past was lame, and then go back to the sick-rear end future and hang out with Scotsman.

Ah, so the plot to Jak and Daxter 2.

• Locked thread