Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
In DA2 Legacy, you see an imprint of your father in a rather well done sequence that fleshes out some back story.

In Andromeda the illegal ai your dad created shows you a memory where your mother reveals her terminal illness and your father replies "not on my watch". The AI tells you to get more memories and advance as a Pathfinder to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I told my therapist in our last session that everything was good and we could move to monthly sessions instead of weekly but GUESS WHAT NAOMI, FREE UP YOUR SCHEDULE FOR A WHILE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alain Post posted:

I actually liked Zevran the most because he was a loving rear end in a top hat, which is not really a role gay characters are "allowed" to play a lot in fiction.

"Gay murderer" is actaully kind of a harmful cliche in itself but Zevran being a killer didn't seem like it stemmed from him being gay, if that makes sense.

yea I actually think they were very good about avoiding the 'gay killer' trope with Zevran, since usually that stems from 'the killer's pretty much one trait is LOOK HOW GAY HE IS' while Zevran was a pretty fleshed out guy who happened to go both ways and also murder people

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sombrerotron posted:

In these modern, post-20th-century times, there is no appreciable spectrum of quality - everything is either unreservedly good or unreservedly bad, and it is vital that people point out as much as humanly possible which of the two any given object or subject is.

Sombrero, you having a good time with the game?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nazzadan posted:

I'm going off the evidence I've seen in ME:A which is that they portray a trans woman extremely poorly. Like, so poorly they have a spotlight shining down on them and they have TRANS tattoo'd on their forehead ala Leto's Joker.

That is either horrendous writing or pandering.

And the new squaddie from ME 3 which if you are even slightly nice to him as MaleShep he goes "MY HUSBAND IS DEAD, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SLEEP WITH ME? HAVE I MENTIONED I AM GAY?"

Are you talking about the pilot guy? I've only played as femshep, but are you saying that guy was a ROMANCEABLE character?!?! HAhaha lol, here I was just thinking he was a pretty cool dude. Man, that sucks.

Rest in Peace Bioware, I guess. Maybe Spiders' dream of being as good as bioware wasn't ever going to mean they'd rise to a higher quality, but that Bioware would simply sink down to theirs. Technomancer 2 will definitely be as good as a Bioware game, I am assured to say.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why is there no Chuck Tingle Mass Effect literature.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The best thing Andromeda has done is it's let me be upfront with all goons that I actually liked Dragon Age 2.

Thank you Andromeda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I actually think they were very good about avoiding the 'gay killer' trope with Zevran, since usually that stems from 'the killer's pretty much one trait is LOOK HOW GAY HE IS' while Zevran was a pretty fleshed out guy who happened to go both ways and also murder people

I think the key for those kinds of characters is that their lack of morality shouldn't come across like it stems from their "perversion"

(see: the killers in 007: Diamonds are Forever, or Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alain Post posted:

I actually liked Zevran the most because he was a loving rear end in a top hat, which is not really a role gay characters are "allowed" to play a lot in fiction.

"Gay murderer" is actaully kind of a harmful cliche in itself but Zevran being a killer didn't seem like it stemmed from him being gay, if that makes sense.

i'll be patheticaly honest. i never got to far into origins. the game play wasn't my thing and i had the console version.

i'll say that bioware can be hamfisted with their progressive ideals sometimes, but i don't believe its in bad faith. bioware isn't Paul Feig, they don't use social progressiveness as a blanket to shield themselves criticism and i hope it stays that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I think weve said all there is to say about mass effect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alain Post posted:

I think the key for those kinds of characters is that their lack of morality shouldn't come across like it stems from their "perversion"

(see: the killers in 007: Diamonds are Forever, or Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs)

yea exactly, when it looks like the train of thought is 'well right obviously someone who's hosed up enough to be gay would be hosed up enough to kill' that's a pretty big problem. When it's 'this guy is hosed up, he's hosed up enough to kill even. Also he likes dick.' you actually have the frame of a real character to work on.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

GET MY BELT SON posted:

How to play the different me3 dlcs on the xbone using backward compatibility?

If you've already got them, just put in the disk and while it's installing go find it in your games and apps and download everything available.

Otherwise just get them through the store I guess?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Drifter posted:

Are you talking about the pilot guy? I've only played as femshep, but are you saying that guy was a ROMANCEABLE character?!?! HAhaha lol, here I was just thinking he was a pretty cool dude. Man, that sucks.

Yeah pilot dude was gay-only which is completely fine they just handled it very poorly. His romance arc seemed to be unusually fast, like within 2 times of talking to him with the nice option he drops that his husband is dead and he is single and ready to mingle.

But yeah I also agree this sums up almost every romancable Bioware character ever.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kirios posted:

Friendly reminder that this game is scoring lower than Dragon Age II.

This is the new worst Bioware game.

DA2's scores were massively inflated by the much stronger publisher/reviewer relationship at the start of the decade. That poo poo would be scoring -7s these days.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Well I think weve said all there is to say about mass effect.

Mass Effect A dlc will allow you to gently caress an elcor.

...but you can only do it dressed as a cowboy, with assless chaps, top-hat helmet, and a space-lasso.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to put Andromeda on my video game shelf right next to my other favorite Bioware RPG

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You people straight up turned this into the BioWare Social Network forums in here.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The most offensive thing about the inclusion and depiction of a trans character is that her introduction seems lifted from Technobabylon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

You people straight up turned this into the BioWare Social Network forums in here.

This was Bioware. Bioware did this to us.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

Mass Effect A dlc will allow you to gently caress an elcor.

...but you can only do it dressed as a cowboy, with assless chaps, top-hat helmet, and a space-lasso.

all is forgiven!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

That many people working on the game for 5 years and this is the result? Development must've been plagued by a Chris Roberts level of management

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I have a confession to make

I am actually Stanley Woo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Please dont make fun of our bad game here is a picture of all the people who made this:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but author intent rarely matters as much as audience perception. It doesn't matter what you meant to say if people take it a different way

Yeah but I'm only asking because he brought up authorial intent.

And then a bunch of people assumed I was talking about the trans character in Andromeda, which I have not even played. I was talking of the cool and good gay people in ME3/DA:I mostly.

And then Alain said that Dorian having a genuine real-life type conflict with his family about his sexuality was obvious pandering or whatever and I'm done, back to posting about how I'm really looking forward to playing the Deluxe Edition of Mass Effect: Andromeda on my PS4 later tonight!

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you have such terrible opinions.

EA is paying me to have these terrible opinions.

Wait no, hold on, is it really that controversial to say that ME1 was at best a 7/10? The combat is flat-out bad and it's janky as gently caress. I still love it, because I am not a broken person who thinks every game has to be THE BEST or THE WORST thing ever.

They're just toys. I don't get mad when I buy a LEGO set that ends up being unfun to build.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Grey Fox posted:

The most offensive thing about the inclusion and depiction of a trans character is that her introduction seems lifted from Technobabylon.

Actually I'm pretty offended that I can't tell the trans character that I don't give a poo poo what he identifies as or what pronouns he likes, which is discriminatory against me, so

"drat, how am I going to gently caress this thing and not ruin my genitals"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nazzadan posted:

I have a confession to make

I am actually Stanley Woo

This is probably the best place to say who I really am since it'd get buried in minutes but I've already gotten enough death threats for my Zelda review.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Why did you cut off the "Oh gently caress I left the oven on" option at the bottom?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is it me or are the pistols significantly more punchy than the Rifles on this game?
Or maybe I havn't gotten a good rifle yet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Slim Killington posted:

There's a pretty good grief support network going on over there for all the jilted Jaal fans (Jaalted?), this thread could take a leaf out of their book tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

And then Alain said that Dorian having a genuine real-life type conflict with his family about his sexuality was obvious pandering or whatever and I'm done, back to posting about how I'm really looking forward to playing the Deluxe Edition of Mass Effect: Andromeda on my PS4 later tonight!

It's not that it's pandering, it's that it's pathetic that that's the best loving thing they can come up with for a gay character. It's exactly like how every gay character in a movie since the 90s had to either get brutally beaten up by bullies or die of AIDS, because, well, geez, that's all we can think of.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, the Angaran's use thermal clips for their weapons too? What are the actual odds that a species in an entirely different galaxy would develop the exact tech Reapers/Geth inspired?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

precision posted:

Wait no, hold on, is it really that controversial to say that ME1 was at best a 7/10? The combat is flat-out bad and it's janky as gently caress. I still love it, because I am not a broken person who thinks every game has to be THE BEST or THE WORST thing ever.

Oh man, the combat is the thing I really like. The weapons definately need more oomph, an issue directly inhereted from the older games Shields/armour system where knockback type effects don't work properly while a protective layer is up, but drat do I love airdashing and grabbing people and throwing and charging. It's a superbly mobile scifi superhero fight and I'm having a blast with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

I'm glad this bad game takes place in a different galaxy, so it doesn't retrospectively taint Mass Effect 3!

I hope the next Mass Effect has to move back to the Milky Way to escape the fallout from Andromeda, but mostly I hope they never make another Mass Effect game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

looks like he is gonna loving shiv her and then proceed eat her organs while she lays dying while he mumbles "i love you".

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Rinkles posted:

Sombrero, you having a good time with the game?
I've only played the demo so far - being in Europe and having shelled out for a physical copy because it was 10 euros cheaper than getting it via Origin meaning I won't be playing any more 'till Thursday - but I found it pretty enjoyable. The environments look real nice, I always enjoy exploring, the combat is good once you adjust to the fact that it's not really a cover shooter anymore, I'm interested to see where the story goes and the alien squaddies that were briefly introduced seem fun to me. There's many minor-to-medium issues with the game in terms of presentation, mechanics, and writing though. Judged entirely on its own merits, I'd consider it a perfectly decent game so far, but an entry into the ME series shouldn't really have all these problems.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order, but if there's any other big titles you'd like to play right now and you're not a real ME junkie, I'd hold off for now.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Arglebargle III posted:

Why is there no Chuck Tingle Mass Effect literature.

Pounded In The rear end By Bioware By The Lack Of Gay Cat Alien Pounding In Bioware's Mass Effect: Andromeda

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'll be patheticaly honest. i never got to far into origins. the game play wasn't my thing and i had the console version.

i'll say that bioware can be hamfisted with their progressive ideals sometimes, but i don't believe its in bad faith. bioware isn't Paul Feig, they don't use social progressiveness as a blanket to shield themselves criticism and i hope it stays that way.

Haha no, Bioware was deflecting criticism of ME3 because people must not like gay romance (even though Dragon Age Origins had gay romance, and I think Jade Empire did too.)

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah pilot dude was gay-only which is completely fine they just handled it very poorly. His romance arc seemed to be unusually fast, like within 2 times of talking to him with the nice option he drops that his husband is dead and he is single and ready to mingle.

But yeah I also agree this sums up almost every romancable Bioware character ever.

STEVE!!! had a nice arc if you just were his friend, you helped him get over the death of his husband in a semi-respectful way.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
wait is it true that Jaal really was supposed to be bi and the content was made but got cut out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

monster on a stick posted:

STEVE!!! had a nice arc if you just were his friend, you helped him get over the death of his husband in a semi-respectful way.

Maybe I was just TOO nice then. I guess the options were: Mean, Nice, and Nice (gay)