Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

There's a pretty good grief support network going on over there for all the jilted Jaal fans (Jaalted?), this thread could take a leaf out of their book tbh

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Pounded In The rear end By Bioware By The Lack Of Gay Cat Alien Pounding In Bioware's Mass Effect: Andromeda

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

monster on a stick posted:

Haha no, Bioware was deflecting criticism of ME3 because people must not like gay romance (even though Dragon Age Origins had gay romance, and I think Jade Empire did too.)

STEVE!!! had a nice arc if you just were his friend, you helped him get over the death of his husband in a semi-respectful way.

did they. i know the games journos shrieked about how all gamers are evil and poo poo and gamer entitlement after people got pissed at the ending. i remember bioware dodging it mostly.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect Andromeda: forms a sad defacement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

did they. i know the games journos shrieked about how all gamers are evil and poo poo and gamer entitlement after people got pissed at the ending. i remember bioware dodging it mostly.

I remember EA doing something like this, but I don't think it was actually Bioware.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShineDog posted:

Oh man, the combat is the thing I really like. The weapons definately need more oomph, an issue directly inhereted from the older games Shields/armour system where knockback type effects don't work properly while a protective layer is up, but drat do I love airdashing and grabbing people and throwing and charging. It's a superbly mobile scifi superhero fight and I'm having a blast with it.

I have a confession:

I've never played Vanguard in ME1.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Turbl posted:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Thank you. The healing process will take a long time but it will eventually happen

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RottenK posted:

wait is it true that Jaal really was supposed to be bi and the content was made but got cut out?

I think that info was just wrong

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The amount of conversation this game has produced might mean that it's ....... good.

But
*Looks at Star citizen sub forums*

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
While I had a good laugh at that, do they not remember the same poo poo happened in ME all the time? ME2 was notorious for invisible characters, weird glitches where your squadmates would end up half on top of poo poo and missing objects - one of my favorites being the start of Miranda's loyalty mission and a good 60% of the time the weapons wouldn't show up so people were making pew-pew motions at enemies who then died.

In ME1 you'd get the glitch where your teammates would literally stick to your rear end when you went anywhere and Benezia could ragdoll you into the wall so thoroughly you died and that fight always started with you getting ragdolled. DAI had some hilarious glitches and bugs too.

Yeah, I mean they should and could do better but this ain't exactly a new thing for ME/Bioware.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

was the last line in english

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sombrerotron posted:

I've only played the demo so far - being in Europe and having shelled out for a physical copy because it was 10 euros cheaper than getting it via Origin meaning I won't be playing any more 'till Thursday - but I found it pretty enjoyable. The environments look real nice, I always enjoy exploring, the combat is good once you adjust to the fact that it's not really a cover shooter anymore, I'm interested to see where the story goes and the alien squaddies that were briefly introduced seem fun to me. There's many minor-to-medium issues with the game in terms of presentation, mechanics, and writing though. Judged entirely on its own merits, I'd consider it a perfectly decent game so far, but an entry into the ME series shouldn't really have all these problems.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order, but if there's any other big titles you'd like to play right now and you're not a real ME junkie, I'd hold off for now.

Thanks. That's more or less the picture I've gathered from reviews. Obviously not trash, with some strengths, but a let down in many ways following the previous heights of the series.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not even sure what's being communicated here.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 20, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I think it's kinda funny that the male model ryder is basically a bit perfect clone of his real life counterpart, but the female ryder was apparently only "inspired" by her real life counterpart.

Also, they photoshopper only "prettified" her in the sense that they made her look more like her human model.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alain Post posted:

I remember EA doing something like this, but I don't think it was actually Bioware.

yeah. EA has defiantly hid behind social progressivness to look better/moral high ground against legit critism. but bioware themselves havent. individual employees likemanveer heir have. but he got sacked quite.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Can't wait for the monstrosities this game will produce

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

precision posted:

I have a confession:

I've never played Vanguard in ME1.

Oh man, if you are just sat behind a wall plinking at people then it's going to be poo poo, yeah. Don't do that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

I think that info was just wrong

There's actually tons of flags still in the code that have been datamined, for mRyder/Jaal. MRyder's actor, Tom Taylorson, was apparently also telling fans he recorded romance dialogue for Jaal.

They just pussied out (no pun intended) and removed the romance later. Didn't that happen in previous games for like Thane or someone?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

evilmiera posted:

Wait, the Angaran's use thermal clips for their weapons too? What are the actual odds that a species in an entirely different galaxy would develop the exact tech Reapers/Geth inspired?

Angarans use heleus tech which is recharge based with heat seeking plasma (!) unless you mod it to use thermal clips.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hedrigall posted:

There's actually tons of flags still in the code that have been datamined, for mRyder/Jaal. MRyder's actor, Tom Taylorson, was apparently also telling fans he recorded romance dialogue for Jaal.

They just pussied out (no pun intended) and removed the romance later. Didn't that happen in previous games for like Thane or someone?

There were recorded lines for a gay Kaiden romance in 1, but IIRC someone said it was done for some weird technical reasons to have placeholder lines.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

Oh man, if you are just sat behind a wall plinking at people then it's going to be poo poo, yeah. Don't do that.

Vanguard in ME1 is so different from vanguard in ME2/3, like it's not even the same galaxy.

Vanguard ME1 just clumsily jogs towards people while you shoot at them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Bioware is EA.

I think this game gets below $30 and maybe below $20 during the summer. There will not be a long wait if you want to pay a lot less for it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Holy poo poo is multiplayer boring and dumb. I joined a game through one of those single player missions that you can either do on a timer or in multiplayer and one guys mic was loud as poo poo and he is just talking to his mom the whole time, possibly oblivious to it being on, and after 5 rounds I realized that the gameplay was the most boring multiplayer experience I have ever had in the past 5 years or so so I quit. I hope that I am missing something because I remember ME3's multiplayer being fun but this was loving terrible. And not just boring but the combat feels awful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hedrigall posted:

really? That's incredibly dumb.

Welp, guess I'm gonna play LadyRyder because I'm not NOT gettin down on Jaal

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So I might have to be a female Ryder and romance Vetra. I would do it as MRyder but at this point burn all heteros tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss Shotgun Sentinel in ME2, back before they nerfed the sentinel shield power in 3. I loving murdered the reaper room in Arrival, just constantly blowing and recharging my shield while shotgunning assholes at point-blank.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. That's more or less the picture I've gathered from reviews. Obviously not trash, with some strengths, but a let down in many ways following the previous heights of the series.

Tons of people playing it on twitch

I watched a half hour and it's basically a mixed quality game. Some things looks good to real good. Some things are laughable .

Is it fun ?? :iiam:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

Well I think weve said all there is to say about mass effect.

Yep. Any opinions on Witcher 3?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

There were recorded lines for a gay Kaiden romance in 1, but IIRC someone said it was done for some weird technical reasons to have placeholder lines.

Both male and female Shepard recorded lines for Kaidan and Ashley romances, probably just out of convenience as the script was already written and they were doing hundreds of lines a day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Correct, I think, it was an EA statement, not a Bioware statement. But it was pretty bad.

And hey look, I actually agree with you in general about portraying gay people with cliches (like Dorian's dad being a homophobe) but at least in that specific case, can't you see the value in putting in a thing that real actual gay people struggle with?

At some point if you try to stop using "cliches" you end up with nonsense. Would you say that Brokeback Mountain was pandering when it included scenes of homophobia and bisexual erasure? At a certain point it's better to assume good faith unless you want to argue about everything forever (which is some people's kink, I know)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

So I might have to be a female Ryder and romance Vetra. I would do it as MRyder but at this point burn all heteros tbh

Hey buddy, I'M a hetero, and I don't much care for all this talk about burning my kind...unless you cover me in chocolate and sandwich me between some tasty graham crackers.

The graham crackers being a metaphor for sexy Colombian women, of course.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it really likely that they "pussied out" on finishing an mRyder/Jaal romance when it's more likely they just didn't finish it given everything else about the game?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Hedrigall posted:

Both voice actors recorded the whole script, including romance plots, which was said to be a standard practice. Like Femshep had unused lines for the Tali romance in ME2 and so on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

Correct, I think, it was an EA statement, not a Bioware statement. But it was pretty bad.

And hey look, I actually agree with you in general about portraying gay people with cliches (like Dorian's dad being a homophobe) but at least in that specific case, can't you see the value in putting in a thing that real actual gay people struggle with?

At some point if you try to stop using "cliches" you end up with nonsense. Would you say that Brokeback Mountain was pandering when it included scenes of homophobia and bisexual erasure? At a certain point it's better to assume good faith unless you want to argue about everything forever (which is some people's kink, I know)

The issue isn't really with that single portrayal, it's more about the limited roles gay/queer characters are "allowed" to play in fiction. It's a systemic problem, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to roll my eyes every time it still pops up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Both voice actors recorded the whole script, including romance plots, which was said to be a standard practice. Like Femshep had unused lines for the Tali romance in ME2 and so on.

Were any of the unused lines "hey, you sorta feel like a giant bag of spiders, Tali?!?!" ?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Angarans use heleus tech which is recharge based with heat seeking plasma (!) unless you mod it to use thermal clips.

What does heat seeking plasma even mean? Wouldn't it just seek itself?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It would be nice if Bioware went beyond just "this character not interested in males, this character not interested in females." Like one who will only bang you if you are a redhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that being said. i HATE sera. like i don't hate sera because she is a lesbian, i hate because she is basically a lovely medieval fantasy equivalent to a online slactivist who rants about "punching down" and "loving up the big people" and also has lovely awful beliefs and is fine with ignoring real causes for her own petty ones that don't change anything really or make poo poo worse out of spite. i like to think this was intentional. but who knows.
You just described a list of character traits and don't seem to think it was intentional?