Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

redbackground posted:

If I was just trying to get a hold of simple reprints of Conan the Barbarain 23 & 24 (Red Sonja's first appearances) (which are not surprisingly very expensive), where could I find them?

Essentials Conan vol. 1 covers #s 1-25, if you don't mind black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If you want color, Dark Horse's The Chronicles of Conan: Vol. 4, The Song of Red Sonja and Other Stories has 23-26 and Savage Tales 2-3. (Dark Horse has the reprint rights to the old Marvel comics now thanks to licensing them from the Howard estate.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I believe they have the rights to publish any appearances by Sonja in the Conan books in exchange for the Red Sonja people being able to use the Conan setting in their stuff.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Selachian posted:

Essentials Conan vol. 1 covers #s 1-25, if you don't mind black and white.

This has been out of print since like 2000 and is actually an expensive collector's item now.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If you want color, Dark Horse's The Chronicles of Conan: Vol. 4, The Song of Red Sonja and Other Stories has 23-26 and Savage Tales 2-3. (Dark Horse has the reprint rights to the old Marvel comics now thanks to licensing them from the Howard estate.)

Tom Scioli points out that the computer coloring in the early Chronicles of Conan is a dealbreaker, it absolutely fucks the art up. The hardcover Barry Windsor Smith Archives Dark Horse put out have fixed this problem. I think Vol 2 has the Red Sonja issues but you should double check.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks for all the info, guys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

If I was just trying to get a hold of simple reprints of Conan the Barbarain 23 & 24 (Red Sonja's first appearances) (which are not surprisingly very expensive), where could I find them?

I checked one of my last remaining comic shops with a decent back issue selection. Lots of Conans, but guess which two were missing (probably due to the Sonja appearances). Sorry!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Just found originals for $20 and $15, respectively. Lemme know!

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Oh wow I know the exact mini you're talking about but I also can't remember the ending. I think Magneto kills him? It's called Magneto: Not A Hero, IIRC.

Nah, Joseph is still alive at the end of it. Magneto apprehends him and says he's going to turn him over to the Avengers. He hasn't shown up since, as far as I know.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I'm kind of a fan of comedians writing comics, even though the results are often uneven. I liked Bill Hader and Seth Meyers' Spider-Man: The Short Halloween (which was helped by Kevin Maguire's art), thought Patton Oswalt's JLA: Welcome to the Working Week was just okay, but LOVED Patton's pitch for a villain-centric Batman graphic novel based on the Fritz Lang film M.
(See http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=153 )

I see that Scott Aukerman has written a few Marvel books, although it looks like shorter stories in comics I normally wouldn't collect or even read (mostly Deadpool). I'm a huge fan of his from Comedy Bang Bang, and love his weird sense of humor, but does anyone have any opinion on any of these comics?

June 2015:
Deadpool (2013) #45 - 'The Death Of Deadpool'

September 2015:
Secret Wars Journal (2015) #3

August 2016:
Spider-Man/Deadpool (2016) #6 - 'Number One on the Maul Sheet!'

January 2017:
Marvel Tag Gratis-Exemplar (2017) nn - 'Spider-Man/Deadpool'

(From http://comicbookdb.com/creator_chron.php?ID=47319 )

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You'd probably like Brian Poeshn's Deadpool run which it sounds like you haven't read

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Secret Wars Journal was good. I didn't even realise Scott Aukerman wrote it. It's not really a comedy issue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

You'd probably like Brian Poeshn's Deadpool run which it sounds like you haven't read

I read the first TPB and just couldn't get into it. I wanted to like it, I really did, but Deadpool just doesn't do it for me (aside from the movie). I'm also not that familiar with Posehn as a stand-up comic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I read the first TPB and just couldn't get into it. I wanted to like it, I really did, but Deadpool just doesn't do it for me (aside from the movie). I'm also not that familiar with Posehn as a stand-up comic.

It gets much better. The first storyline is basically establishing a baseline, the silly monkey cheese Deadpool schtick. Following stories build on that by adding some surprisingly genuine pathos and a good roster of support characters for Wade.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also go watch The Fartist on Netflix

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think John Cleese is funny and all, but Superman True Brit was total garbage. I assume he wrote the outline and a few jokes, and the guy who did all the Monty Python guides did the heavily lifting and considering it's latter day John Byrne it's badness is his fault

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You might like spider-man and the x-men

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
That's true in almost any context, unless you're talking to someone who hates Spider-Man, the X-Men, and fun, and why would you do that?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

You might like spider-man and the x-men

Elliot Kalan is very funny, loves Spider-Man, and writes one hell of a comic book. Everyone should read Spider-Man and the X-Men (and listen to the Flop House but that's only if you like ding-dong related podcasts)

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
On that note, Deadpool v Gambit by Acker and Blacker is also a good mini by comedy writers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Here's a dumb question that all of a sudden I want to know the answer to: When did Marvel and/or DC first utilize the wraparound cover for a standard monthly comic?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I can't say the first time it happened but the Marvel Presents (Short Stories from various heroes but always a Wolverine story) had the wrap arounds in 1988

Constantly making people think Wolverine was going to team up with Man Thing and it never happens

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Here's a question, why was Wolverine so fuckin cool in the 80s

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Claremont and because he either killed dudes or he didn't kill dudes. He wasn't exclusive to either and he had catchphrases.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also because the orange and brown costume is the best one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because he's the best there is at what he does and what he does is be cool. Remember when smoking was cool? Wolverine smoked all the goddamned time.

Gambit also smoked but he was not as cool.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Wolverine also has cool powers. He's just better at stuff like smelling, and he heals from injury and he's got unbreakable bones. It's somehow more satisfying to imagine yourself being like that than, say, being able to make it rain in Africa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

While it's not quite Emma Frost bad, the idea of a guy who can smell what you've been up to unless you shower twice before hanging out with him makes me uncomfortable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have any powers and I'm confident I can do that with 75% accuracy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

While it's not quite Emma Frost bad, the idea of a guy who can smell what you've been up to unless you shower twice before hanging out with him makes me uncomfortable.

Hmm. Sounds like something a dumpster diver would say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Hmm. Sounds like something a dumpster diver would say.

I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do is nobody's business.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wolverine was in a team with Colossus and Cyclops. The smell of lonely night tugs probably doesn't even register for him anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He was also a huge mystery for a long, long time. Mysterious is sexy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Because he's the best there is at what he does and what he does is be cool. Remember when smoking was cool? Wolverine smoked all the goddamned time.

Gambit also smoked but he was not as cool.

Lots of the X-Men smoked. I'm hugely anti-tobacco but it's always seemed like a great bit of characterization for a guy like Wolverine, who doesn't have to worry about things like lung cancer or cirrhosis, to smoke like a chimney and drink gallons of beer at a time. He's been around for God knows how long, his entire job is essentially getting the poo poo beat out of him, he doesn't even know who he really is, and he's constantly dealing with hosed up poo poo like his friends dying and coming back and getting replaced with future dopplegangers or cyborgs or something. At the very least he's going to treat himself to a cigar and some brew.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

My favorite thing about Claremont in the Wolverine is the best character era is that Magneto is naked every other issue, mostly sleeping in the nude or gazing out a window

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you consider that comics (especially back then) were written for young teenage males Wolverine being awesome makes sense. He is a loner, has knives that pop out of his wrists, has a mysterious past, is a gruff no nonsense warrior with a heart of gold. What there isn't there to love (or want to be) for a 13 year kid?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madkal posted:

If you consider that comics (especially back then) were written for young teenage males Wolverine being awesome makes sense. He is a loner, has knives that pop out of his wrists, has a mysterious past, is a gruff no nonsense warrior with a heart of gold. What there isn't there to love (or want to be) for a 13 year kid?

He also has a healing factor so even if the jocks beat him up in the playground during recess he just gets better so he never has to deal with his mother demanding to know who hit him and then calling their parents and making things even worse for you the next day

wait am I projecting again

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Also, he spent a good portion of the decade fighting ninjas. In the '80s, putting ninjas in your story was like printing money.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
It's the catchphrase. Kids can't get enough blank verse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wolverine also had that really cool one Barry Windsor-Smith illustrated where he fights Lady Deathstrike the Reavers in Central Park during a snowstorm, which was on a whole other level compared to a lot of X-Men stuff that came before and after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I tend to think that one of the reasons Wolverine is popular, subtext-wise, is because like Captain America, he's close enough to just being a badass soldier that we can appreciate as him being street level whilst having pretty fantastic abilities. Basically, he hits the sweet spot in between "out there enough to be interesting" and "down to earth enough that readers either relate on some level or respect what he is".

It helps that that North American society has always taught people that soldiers, which is essentially what Wolverine is, and I cannot stress that enough, are to be respected and revered.