Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

bean_shadow posted:

Ventriloquism is obnoxious. I would say that this isn't an unpopular opinion but it's disturbing how famous Jeff Dunham is. A FB friend of mine went to one of his shows recently. I just thought to myself, "WHY?!"

And some ventriloquists (maybe all of them, I don't know) are just downright creepy about their dummies. Edgar Bergen had an entire bedroom for Charlie McCarthy and, according to his daughter Candice Bergen, the dummy had a bigger wardrobe than she did.

It would be wrong not to bring up 1978's Magic with Anthony Hopkins as Corky, and his dummy Fats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzrduy5h3G0

Charlie was making more money than she was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's still pretty inconsiderate because when (not if) your cat darts out in front of my car I'll have to deal with your weepy rear end demanding me to buy you a new cat and trying to get the cops to arrest me. It just seems conflicting sometimes - people keep saying how much they love their cat and will be destroyed if it dies, but at the same time will let it loose in high traffic areas or in places where predators like coyotes are active. Where I grew up you probably saw coyotes every couple days or so, yet people still let their cats out and act like they couldn't have seen it coming when the cat goes missing.

Anyway, non-pet opinion: I don't like "al dente" pasta. I like it cooked a little more than that. I know it's technically wrong and basically any chef would disagree with me, but I just don't like almost-crunchy pasta. Also I can barely tell the difference between fresh pasta and premade/frozen so I don't really care what the restaurant uses, but this one may be because I've destroyed my palate with alcohol.

Also, idiots who let their dogs off the leash in the front yard or wherever. The stupid thing will inevitably bolt off after a person/dog/anything and the moron owners will chase after all apologetic. That's not only rude and a hassle for passers-by but dangerous for the dog. My aunt's will do this at least a few times a week. Worse is when the owner just ineffectually stands there yelling while the dog ignores them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Live music is disappointing about 90% of the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Live music is disappointing about 90% of the time.

I have yet to go to a concert where the band was actually sober and ready to perform on time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My unpopular opinion is that I believe that Germany unreasonably hates us despite publicly being one of our strongest allies. I have lived here for almost 2 years and I have never felt less welcome while just existing. In switzerland there was some mild anti-americanism but it went away the second you talked to them in their language and made it known you're not just a stereotypical fanny packed american tourist, but even among my coworkers in germany I sense a deep loathing of america.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i don't think it's ok to harass companies into firing workers because their workers say stupid things online. doxxing people is also a very bad thing to do, and if you do it, you should not be allowed to have internet access.

My unpopular opinion is that I believe that Germany unreasonably hates us despite publicly being one of our strongest allies. I have lived here for almost 2 years and I have never felt less welcome while just existing. In switzerland there was some mild anti-americanism but it went away the second you talked to them in their language and made it known you're not just a stereotypical fanny packed american tourist, but even among my coworkers in germany I sense a deep loathing of america.

it's because americans are nazis now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's certainly not fair to loathe you as an American, but in a wider political sense America the country is loathed because, for example, it elects presidents like Bush junior and Trump, and all that goes with that. All the while trumpeting it is the greatest and most free, god bless America.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also the German left eats up russian propaganda big time

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The US is the hands down best place to get hot dogs and chili. I'll loving stand by that.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

It's certainly not fair to loathe you as an American, but in a wider political sense America the country is loathed because, for example, it elects presidents like Bush junior and Trump, and all that goes with that. All the while trumpeting it is the greatest and most free, god bless America.

PHUO: the gently caress is America the country and who is trumpeting that?

Trump lost the popular vote. Most americans are in favour of universal health care and not droning anyone.

The loving number one consumers of "MURIKKKA" jokes are americans.

Americans have a bad government and many are in lovely spots. As a whole however they are in the same place as the rest of "western civilization," but with ideals stronger than "our country is cute and we are so accepting, goodbye nazis hello Geert!!"

I'mma lol when Murikkka saves Europe from another fascist takeover.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

vintagepurple posted:

PHUO: the gently caress is America the country and who is trumpeting that?

Trump lost the popular vote. Most americans are in favour of universal health care and not droning anyone.

The loving number one consumers of "MURIKKKA" jokes are americans.

Americans have a bad government and many are in lovely spots. As a whole however they are in the same place as the rest of "western civilization." I'mma lol when Murikkka saves Europe from another fascist takeover.

The best way to stop a bad fascist country with an army is with a good fascist country with an army!

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best way to stop a bad fascist country with an army is with a good fascist country with an army!

Unironically agreed.

My grandpa fled East Prussia in bestial frenzy because his number one desire circa 1945 was to surrender to the yanks and not the russians. There's a reason he and many other fascist footsoldiers felt that way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was describing why Germans might exude a hate for America, not any objective truth. However let it be said, that the fact the majority of Americans are against Trump and his ideals, yet he is the leader, is not a point in your favour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
lol if you think the current anti-American sentiments started with loving Trump. Try Bush.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did you literally just read the last post of the thread? Look up about 5 more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

My sister went to visit her in-laws there and got the same impression. She's very well-traveled and had always gotten on well in Europe, so she was kinda hurt with how coldly she was treated in Germany. Even with her husband being half-German, fluent in the language and having family there, she was treated as the stupid American tourist. Said it was one of the worst trips she's ever taken.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As an American, I feel nothing about Germany

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Most of my favorite bands are from Germany. :ohdear:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump and myself alike are literally a couple generations removed from being german.

Germans should either accept Trump as one of their own or forever accept that all their culture and history up to about 1850 is as american as it is german. Same goes for Bush, but replace german with english.

Y'all were genociding non-white peoples alongside us (your loyal colonists) for centuries before Trump's USA was an apple in his eye, and being born to the folks that stayed home absolves you of nothing.

vintagepurple has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Mar 25, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

Trump and myself alike are literally a couple generations removed from being german.

Germans should either accept Trump as one of their own or forever accept that all their culture and history up to about 1850 is as american as it is german.

What :confused: This seems like the ultimate non-sequitur.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

What :confused: This seems like the ultimate non-sequitur.

Sorry, daydrunk posting.

Point is I'm sick of my alsatian family lording Trump and Bush over us. You deserve no praise for being born on the "right" side of the atlantic and every bullshit thing about the US was bought and paid for by the same lovely white fucks that made lovely laws in Europe. We are the same. Brexit. Marine Le Pen. Cmon guys.

vintagepurple has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Mar 25, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

Sorry, daydrunk posting.

Point is I'm sick of my alsatian family lording Trump and Bush over us. You deserve no praise for being born on the "right" side of the atlantic and every bullshit thing about the US was bought and paid for by the same lovely white fucks that made lovely laws in Europe. We are the same.

The (anglophone) dudes who first colonized North America were literally the very worst white fucks Europe had to offer. They went to America because they weren't allowed to be as lovely as they wanted in England by the slightly less lovely law-makers there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

At least once Trump begins building ovens for Mexicans, the Germans can say "WE ALREADY TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK OUT YOU IDIOTS!"

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still remember the notorious anglo Hernan Cortez

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

I was describing why Germans might exude a hate for America, not any objective truth. However let it be said, that the fact the majority of Americans are against Trump and his ideals, yet he is the leader, is not a point in your favour.

I personally think the people who voted for Trump did so because they simply can't afford to be socially conscious. The bible belt is one of the least educated areas in the country. The Republicans has exploited their ignorance by plantinf seeds of fear and making promises of making things better for Them.

I don't blame people for voting for Trump if they truly believed it was in there best intrest. I certainly blame the GOP, however.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'd wager most of them voted Trump not because they genuinely thought he'd make their lives better. But because they know he'd make the lives of those they hate worse.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

I'd wager most of them voted Trump not because they genuinely thought he'd make their lives better. But because they know he'd make the lives of those they hate worse.

it's way too easy to assume the worst of people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

I still remember the notorious anglo Hernan Cortez

Yeah he sure colonized large swathes of North America.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think a lot of people voted for Trump because both the GOP and DNC were screaming the whole campaign that he wasn't a real candidate and the US, in general, is sick of our government's bullshit. The media and the established parties built him up as an outsider and the pissed off masses sick of "the same old same old" latched onto him.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
e; wrong thread.

Tarantula has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Mar 25, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

it's way too easy to assume the worst of people

This way I'm never let down, because I cannot be disappointed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aramek posted:

Well, one candidate was promising to shake poo poo up, and one candidate was promising literally 4 more years of the same.

If you're not happy with your current situation, you want to vote for the "shake poo poo up" candidate.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

WampaLord posted:

Well, one candidate was promising to shake poo poo up, and one candidate was promising literally 4 more years of the same.

If you're not happy with your current situation, you want to vote for the "shake poo poo up" candidate.

I like how this post can apply to both Trump and Obama.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
or you don't want to vote at all because you're either voting for the reason benghazi happened, or you're voting for a man that starts a sentence without an idea of how he'll end it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I can't understand not voting, so I'm all for making it mandatory.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aramek posted:

I can't understand not voting, so I'm all for making it mandatory.

Fuuuuuuuck that.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of non-voters would vote for the worst candidate every time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
step 1: make voting mandatory
step 2: don't do anything to make voting easier
step 3: profit from fining poor people who didn't vote

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

step 1: make voting mandatory
step 2: don't do anything to make voting easier
step 3: profit from jailing poor people who didn't vote

Fixed that. Poor people can't really be fined.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

or you don't want to vote at all because you're either voting for the reason benghazi happened, or you're voting for a man that starts a sentence without an idea of how he'll end it.

Its more that people are voting for the person who at least acknowledged their struggles, despite how clearly bs it was. Idk, I just think its wrong to judge someone because they can't afford to have principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free basket of chips posted:

Its more that people are voting for the person who at least acknowledged their struggles, despite how clearly bs it was. Idk, I just think its wrong to judge someone because they can't afford to have principles.

Actually they can't afford to not have principles. (Bernie would have won.)