Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cant you just price match Cleveland Plasma? That's where a few of us got that tv for well below 3k around 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My experience is that Best Buy isn't going to pricematch anything that doesn't have a "Checkout" button next to it and says "In Stock and Shipping Now."

With Cleveland Plasma, you have to get a price quote from them and most stores aren't going to take it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Best Buy matched my email from one of those sites last week, on a KS8000

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The problem with describing what Best Buy will or won't do is that it's going to be dependent entirely on the specific associate (and likely manager) that you talk to.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hmm okay, I read on some other sites in the meanwhile that some people had been able to get like 10% off in some cases by asking them to like beat Amazon's price or finding a scratched box or something, but I guess it just depends on the manager?

What about that eBay deal for the E6P, my understanding is that as long as they are selling an item at a fixed price and I e-mail them to get rid of the bundle and just sell me a single TV, my credit card should be willing to price rewind that $2800 into the $2300 from another site, right?

Does anyone know if the Citi price rewind will work using an ebay listing? If I can buy from Best Buy and just get $500 back from the price rewind instead of buying off ebay that would be cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

The problem with describing what Best Buy will or won't do is that it's going to be dependent entirely on the specific associate (and likely manager) that you talk to.

Yup. When I got them to match my W900A with Frys, the manager was VERY reluctant to do so. He collected a ton of different documentation about the sale including calling to see if they had stock. He was complaining that they could get into some big trouble with Sony if they didn't do things right.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

hitachi posted:

Does anyone know if the Citi price rewind will work using an ebay listing? If I can buy from Best Buy and just get $500 back from the price rewind instead of buying off ebay that would be cool.

I don't think they will do that, BUT 2-3 people on another AV forum that I found no google reported being able to buy an item off ebay and price rewind that item to one of the scummy sites as long as the ebay item wasn't an auction. They all were able to price rewind the iElectrica deals, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this listing last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172451922133

And submitted the paperwork for it to be price rewinded to this ad:

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/LG_E6_...Qb60aAurE8P8HAQ

We'll see what happens!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rtings reviewed the Sony X900, gave it a good score. That said at only $300 less than the B-series LG OLED at 55" it's iffy. It will probably become a better deal as it gets cheaper.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't think they will do that, BUT 2-3 people on another AV forum that I found no google reported being able to buy an item off ebay and price rewind that item to one of the scummy sites as long as the ebay item wasn't an auction. They all were able to price rewind the iElectrica deals, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this listing last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172451922133

And submitted the paperwork for it to be price rewinded to this ad:

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/LG_E6_...Qb60aAurE8P8HAQ

We'll see what happens!

Awesome, let me know if it works because I will hop right on that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

My experience is that Best Buy isn't going to pricematch anything that doesn't have a "Checkout" button next to it and says "In Stock and Shipping Now."

With Cleveland Plasma, you have to get a price quote from them and most stores aren't going to take it.

i meant his credit card company

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
When are we likely to see TV sets that incorporate hdmi 2.1?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

2018 at the earliest and quite possibly later as the improvements aren't all that relevant for TV for a long time.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Trying to decide between a Sony x850d and Samsung KS8000.

I know the thread generally recommends the KS8000 but I wasn't sure if that was best bang for the buck or just straight up the KS8000 is preferred. Looks like both are on sale for similar prices at Best Buy.

edit: Nevermind I was looking at the wrong Sony model. Just gonna get the KS8000.

hitachi fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 25, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oddly specific question, I know - but what are some good choices of model for a 40" Vizio TV? For my parents, to replace their crusty old E371VA.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Got my LG OLED set up, it rules! Although it really makes the input from my digital cable STB (standard Time Warner basic networks only) feed look like total poo poo, like worse than I expected. Like, for instance some of the small print at the bottom of car ads is unreadable because there's kinda like the text is being cut off almost at the tops and bottoms of the letters? Hard to describe, I'll try to get a picture sometime.

I'm using all the settings from here apart from the white balance settings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6/settings

One other bug that apparently a lot of people have, I can't enable HDR on my PS4 pro, it says HDR not supported on this TV. I haven't messed around with settings yet though, may be able to fix that.

Overall I watched some poo poo on Netflix through the PS4 and it looked great, dunno if it would be any better/worse to watch it from Netflix from the TV's built in app.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Turn on HDMI Deep Color. It's buried in the general settings menu.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Stefan Prodan posted:

One other bug that apparently a lot of people have, I can't enable HDR on my PS4 pro, it says HDR not supported on this TV. I haven't messed around with settings yet though, may be able to fix that.

Two additional things to try/note:
If you have PSVR, the pass through box doesn't support HDR. You'll need to go directly from the PS4 to the TV because Sony are loving idiots and didn't build HDR passthrough in the breakout box.
Try a newer HDMI cable, if you still have some super old 1.1 ones they won't support HDR

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Turn on HDMI Deep Color. It's buried in the general settings menu.

This fixed it, still can't figure out why the signal from my cable box is so bad on some channels though, I mean I'm only looking at the major networks since that's all I have, I figured it should still look like normal 1080i or whatever, so like the text from my example should still be plenty readable and all

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Make sure every box in the chain is set to "just view" or "dot for dot" or whatever for picture size/ratio/zoom mode.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The NCAA tournament "wide game playing" shots looked exceptionally lovely this year on TBS/TNT through Dish HD on the 55" Sony XBR930D I got a few weeks ago. It seems all the broadcasts use lovely cameras for the whole court action shots since for closeups and stopped action shots it looked great. Sports are supposed to kick rear end on this tv but if the signal is going to be poo poo for the foreseeable future I'm not sure it's worth it.

I don't remember the games looking so bad on the Samsung J6300 50" I had last year. My parents are over the moon with that TV now since I gave it to them to replace their 2003 era bank vault sized Mitsubishi projector tv. Also....do RTINGS ratings go down after a tv ages? I swear the J6300 had much better scores last February when I researched/bought it than what they are showing now.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 28, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Time Warner is awful and the compression on some of the channels is just awful.

I use my Xbox to blend my antenna and DirecTV into one guide. My antenna's picture is always great.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah is antenna a better signal/less compressed? I might go back to that but I had a hard time with my Mohu leaf getting good signal all the time which is why I'm paying for Time Warner's basic networks thing for NFL games.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah is antenna a better signal/less compressed? I might go back to that but I had a hard time with my Mohu leaf getting good signal all the time which is why I'm paying for Time Warner's basic networks thing for NFL games.

Depends on what the broadcasters send.

Usually ota will be better even with multiple channels on one frequency as they usually don't cram multiple HD channels on one frequency but ymmv

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's night and day difference for me given my location in los angeles, ca with a mohu leaf wired into my closet

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hm I can try to set my leaf up again and try to find a good spot for it. Hope the E6P has a signal meter mode.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It doesn't that I know of

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Was totally ready to buy the E70-E3 from Sam's Club for 978....

CNET gave it decent reviews based on price, but a ton of reviewers said it died right after the 1 year warranty.

CNET gave the Vizio M65-D0 a much better video quality rating but the comments are full of people hating on the stupid tablet remote... That goes for around 1200 here.

Basically what is the best TV for dark blacks, preferably not smart, that is 65 or 70 inches and won't die in a single drat year? Chromecasts are 35 dollars and if they break you replace them. I'd rather not have a failable motherboard in my TV although I suspect it's no longer an option.

It is going to face sunny windows but its one of those half basements where only the windows are above the ground and they have wooden slats and do a good job of blocking most of the light...

I will spend over 1200 if there is one that's much better for a few hundred more but that's really the limit.

Sorry for not reading the entire thread but it is huge and I thought I'd just toss a question.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 29, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Every tv worth a poo poo is smart in tyool 2017, deal with it.

There is no guarantee the Vizio will break and plenty of people here have them and love them.

If you are super concerned get the Costco squaretrade warranty as it'll cover it for like 5 years, or 4 if you buy the tv elsewhere.

People tend to like Sony in this thread. Samsung, less so, but an option. No sure either are going to be as cheap as the Vizio (it's cheap so don't expect incredible)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

It doesn't that I know of

Man my panasonic had that and it was super useful, wonder why more TVs dont

I guess it's not used very often lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I was able to enable HDR on the PS4 with the E6P but now occasionally it like just goes to black? And at one point while I was playing it just went to black and stayed that way until I turned HDR off so uhhh I guess that scene was very dark indeed!

Hopefully that's just a bug that gets patched out sometime

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Here's how I got it working on my C6, I turned to a channel and moved antenna to make it smooth. Then I checked the other channels and adjusted. Took like 5 minutes.

Also I have 0 issues with HDR on my Xbox one S.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Here's how I got it working on my C6, I turned to a channel and moved antenna to make it smooth. Then I checked the other channels and adjusted. Took like 5 minutes.

Also I have 0 issues with HDR on my Xbox one S.

Yeah, I mean that's fine and all but since it's digital it's not like you can really judge by the picture whether you're getting good signal or not, 70% might look the same as 100% except that if you start to get weather or something, the 70% placement will start dropping out and the 100% placement will drop to 80% and be fine.

That's been my experience anyway, I have two Mohus, one upstairs on a Samsung with no signal meter and one was downstairs on the old Viera with a signal meter, and I really liked having the meter.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Well, I was able to enable HDR on the PS4 with the E6P but now occasionally it like just goes to black? And at one point while I was playing it just went to black and stayed that way until I turned HDR off so uhhh I guess that scene was very dark indeed!

Hopefully that's just a bug that gets patched out sometime

I think there is a handshaking bug. I turned off HDCP handshake in the PS4 options menu as soon as I got my C6 based on stuff I read on the internet. No issues for me. I don't watch media on my PS4 so hdcp isn't needed for my uses.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is HDCP the thing that lets me control the PS4 with the TV remote? drat I found that pretty useful, so I just have to choose between HDR and that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, that's HDMI-CEC. HDCP is the copyright encryption protocol for HD video.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh ok cool so I can just disable that and it sounds like it won't affect anything? Or is that a requirement for like some video apps?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Every tv worth a poo poo is smart in tyool 2017, deal with it.

There is no guarantee the Vizio will break and plenty of people here have them and love them.

If you are super concerned get the Costco squaretrade warranty as it'll cover it for like 5 years, or 4 if you buy the tv elsewhere.

People tend to like Sony in this thread. Samsung, less so, but an option. No sure either are going to be as cheap as the Vizio (it's cheap so don't expect incredible)

I mean, that's fine, about the squaretrade, but I've read a ton of reviews from costco people that bought vizios saying they got replaced with smaller or shitter tvs because they no longer had "parts" to repair the unit in question. I think I'll just be going for a smaller more expensive Sony, LG or Samsung.

I'm glad you mentioned Sony that wasn't even on my radar.

[edit] poo poo they don't even sell Sony tvs at samsclub or costco.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wendigee posted:

I mean, that's fine, about the squaretrade, but I've read a ton of reviews from costco people that bought vizios saying they got replaced with smaller or shitter tvs because they no longer had "parts" to repair the unit in question. I think I'll just be going for a smaller more expensive Sony, LG or Samsung.

I'm glad you mentioned Sony that wasn't even on my radar.

[edit] poo poo they don't even sell Sony tvs at samsclub or costco.

Vizio's are perfectly fine and are basically the best value tv out there. We've bought tons for work and they have all been great. Don't listen to lovely online reviews.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I really want to buy the Vizio E70-E3 at samsclub for 970 dollars. It doesn't have that stupid android tablet remote... but it only has "12" LED zones.

The newer model 65 inch M65-D0 has "64" LED zones for black levels and that seems like a huge improvement, but it requires the stupid tablet remote. It is also ~1200 dollars instead of 970. I'm not sure I'd even notice personally. I'm not a huge video or audio guy. I have heard terrible things about the android tablet controller but that might just be people not knowing android.

The higher class of M70-D3 is the fancier 70 inch... it seems to be the same as the 65 but another 300 dollars at about 1500 which is more than I want to spend but would if anyone has a good reason why its better... technology wise. It does add the 64 LED ranges to the older E70-E3 model bringing it up from 12 ranges. I am not sure what that means but I assume it has to do with number of squares on the screen that can change the backlight. The more the better. My basement is one of those halve basements with windows that point directly at the sun until it sets. The latest P model Vizios have, I beleive, 128 zones, but they cost as much as a fancy name brand.

Thoughts?

As a non-audio visual guy maybe I should just get the loving E70-E3 that CNET rated really nice in 2015 and take my chance that it will not break or that I'll notice the LED zones. I don't think I will notice the zones and if it breaks in a year ill be employed and be able to buy something nicer. *shrug*

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wendigee posted:

I really want to buy the Vizio E70-E3 at samsclub for 970 dollars. It doesn't have that stupid android tablet remote... but it only has "12" LED zones.

The newer model 65 inch M65-D0 has "64" LED zones for black levels and that seems like a huge improvement, but it requires the stupid tablet remote. It is also ~1200 dollars instead of 970. I'm not sure I'd even notice personally. I'm not a huge video or audio guy. I have heard terrible things about the android tablet controller but that might just be people not knowing android.

The higher class of M70-D3 is the fancier 70 inch... it seems to be the same as the 65 but another 300 dollars at about 1500 which is more than I want to spend but would if anyone has a good reason why its better... technology wise. It does add the 64 LED ranges to the older E70-E3 model bringing it up from 12 ranges. I am not sure what that means but I assume it has to do with number of squares on the screen that can change the backlight. The more the better. My basement is one of those halve basements with windows that point directly at the sun until it sets. The latest P model Vizios have, I beleive, 128 zones, but they cost as much as a fancy name brand.

Thoughts?

As a non-audio visual guy maybe I should just get the loving E70-E3 that CNET rated really nice in 2015 and take my chance that it will not break or that I'll notice the LED zones. I don't think I will notice the zones and if it breaks in a year ill be employed and be able to buy something nicer. *shrug*

Yeah I'd get either that E series or the M65. As a non-AV guy you're really not gonna notice and neither of those TVs are "premium black level" tvs anyway.

What's gonna happen is you're gonna buy it, worry about black levels, maybe feel they aren't quite what you want, and then forget about it all and just be enjoying your new TV within a week anyway!