Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Forte is fine, but I wish they'd stop giving his character "Tandy pisses off (X), tries in vain to apologize for the entire episode" plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What happened with the drone storyline from last season? I don't remember them being able to hear a voice talking to them from the drone, but then again, I don't remember them holding up the "We're Nice!" signs, either. Melissa shot the drone with her shotgun at the end of the episode IIRC, and then what, did we just forget about it entirely after fleeing from whatsisname with the custom jeans?

Last season, there was the drone then 3 people show up in a boat with guns, 1 person gets shot, and 1 person gets run over by a car and left with the trash until he *mysteriously* disappears. Maybe Wiig's character has something to do with the boatguy/custom jeans guy disappearing? Maybe she ends up being freaked out by all of the messages on the walls written in fake blood.

I think Wiig's integration into the group could end up being pretty interesting.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

They need to quit messing around and make MacGruber 2 already.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The problem with Will Forte is that he is an SNL alum, which means that even if he has a funny idea he has been trained to think that it will only get funnier the louder and longer it is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, that was something.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I had a feeling Lewis wasn't going to make it, but man was that blunt.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

what the fuyck

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of guessed Lewis' character had a short expiration date, but I was kind of hoping he'd survive.

The bleak nature of regularly writing out characters (usually the more well-adjusted, less crazy "straight man" of the group), is a dark and cynical outlook I can get behind. But a part of me just thinks the high turnover of characters is happening only because they can only budget so many actors and give them the proper amount of screen time.

Like, having the community slowly grow despite all the death is another way to take the premise, but that direction isn't quite friendly to the constraints of this show.

Well, the death does add tension again. Fate isn't kind. The pregnancies are as much a threat as they are hope to the group.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I would have laughed more if it wasn't so blatantly telegraphed and inline with preventing the plot of progressing to more interesting places.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The only surprise was that he crashed straight after take-off where I expected him to crash when attempting to land but yeah, it was still well played and the gloominess of the cast is in itself somewhat refreshing.

Now we just need them to find out Gail's corpse in some in-opportune moment.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I do wonder how the rest of the world is doing now though. Australia might actually just be its usuall hellish self than post apocalyptic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Avalerion posted:

I do wonder how the rest of the world is doing now though. Australia might actually just be its usuall hellish self than post apocalyptic.

As the plague was hinted at having a silent gestation period and a 99.9%+ mortality rate it's safe to assume that the situation is pretty much the same globally, by the time authorities started responding to the threat it was already too late and people started dropping off like flies.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhh, did you see the end of the episode?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Uhh, did you see the end of the episode?

No :(

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
As a pilot, that was totally expected. Flying isn't something you pick up with a few hours in a simulator. Without an actual flight instructor I don't think it's possible to self-teach flying. Also after a few years all the internals of the plane are probably degraded, you definitely don't want to trust your life to a single engine plane that hasn't seen a mechanic in years.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only surprise was that he crashed straight after take-off where I expected him to crash when attempting to land but yeah, it was still well played and the gloominess of the cast is in itself somewhat refreshing.

I pictured the gang watching him fly a couple of loops around the airfield and cheering him on, thinking he's doing great. Then, just as they start unrolling a big banner that says "WELCOME HOME LEWIS" (as if his landing is a return from some major adventure), he flies straight into a hillside.

As for Gail...well, I'll admit I've lost track of how long she's been in there, in story time, but I'm not sure I want to assume there's a corpse just yet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I could have gotten behind this show being a bloodbath if it had happened sooner and they offed people quicker. Make it a little like the love boat or something, revolving door of guest stars.

I don't know about having people around for entire seasons and then killing them off; it's harder.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PostNouveau posted:

I could have gotten behind this show being a bloodbath if it had happened sooner and they offed people quicker. Make it a little like the love boat or something, revolving door of guest stars.

I don't know about having people around for entire seasons and then killing them off; it's harder.
Sometimes it feels like the writers are admitting that they don't know where to go with a character if they kill them off. I don't think Phil or Lewis' story arcs were finished, they just stopped. Mike had a nice sendoff, but ultimately, did he do anything for the story?

The show's a super mixed bag, but at least I did really laugh at this episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they killed off Lewis so they could pay for the Kristin Wiig episode, that's pretty lame.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Sometimes it feels like the writers are admitting that they don't know where to go with a character if they kill them off. I don't think Phil or Lewis' story arcs were finished, they just stopped. Mike had a nice sendoff, but ultimately, did he do anything for the story?

The show's a super mixed bag, but at least I did really laugh at this episode.

Maybe they're meta and saying that life after the apocalypse doesn't have a story arc, sometimes people just die.

Also, what do people mean by 'Did you see the end of the episode?' Last thing I recall was the building Gail was in lit up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hughlander posted:

Also, what do people mean by 'Did you see the end of the episode?' Last thing I recall was the building Gail was in lit up.

That wasn't the end of the episode. They kept zooming in and showed the elevator came back to life and opened on the next floor. They then showed Gail laying there and her finger twitched.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

What a bummer. I really liked Lewis, and it felt like he was just starting to gel with the group.

The newspapers were great. 'He made the front page two days in a row'.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

If they killed off Lewis so they could pay for the Kristin Wiig episode, that's pretty lame.

If the scuttlebutt that the reason why we don't get more standalone episodes is because they have to pay all the current cast members whether they're in an episode or not is true then I say turn the show into a bloodbath as quickly as possible.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I was sad when Lewis died but I enjoyed somber Sugar Ray so it was worth it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Taking a step back from the abyss was nice this week. Not a very funny episode, but at least not stressful. Actually now that I think about it, why am I still watching this show.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Because it's special.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

Taking a step back from the abyss was nice this week. Not a very funny episode, but at least not stressful. Actually now that I think about it, why am I still watching this show.

I ask myself every time I watch the show. The show misses way more often than it hits, but those few hits are always fantastic.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I can't really tell what Carol sees in the photo at the end. I assume it's a person but I'm not sure.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FrensaGeran posted:

I can't really tell what Carol sees in the photo at the end. I assume it's a person but I'm not sure.

It looked like a person in a gillie suit and Yoda mask, but it wasn't too clear. It could have been Pamela in her trash bag biohazard suit with a mask on.

I honestly wish a new male character would come around and actually stick around. Phil, Gordon, Mike, and Lewis all joined the group and then died off. I just realized that the survivor group is still just the original six. Maybe that's why the show seems like it spins its wheels sometimes. I get that shows have a core cast and all, but I'd like to see some deviation from what feels like 'back to status quo'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looked like yoda to me too

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Looked like a Napoleon hat to me.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It doesn't look like anything to me.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't even do the zoomed in one.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

It doesn't look like anything to me.

I get it. That line from Star Wars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looking closer, it seems like it is a full yoda costume.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So they are trying to say Yoda caused the virus that killed everyone? And now is back for the survivors?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This episode confirmed that the virus was engineered by extra-terrestrials to depopulate Earth.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Dagobah Swamp is the western USA after the virus, pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John F Bennett posted:

This episode confirmed that the virus was engineered by extra-terrestrials to depopulate Earth.

I'm still hoping that, when the series comes to an end, Tandy Phil wakes up and it was all a dream. He's a low level pencil-pusher at the CDC who hates his job. Walking back from the bathroom, he passes a vault labeled DANGER! BIOHAZARD!, pauses, and smiles...

• Locked thread