Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

Wow I'm glad to hear you've got it all figured out!

So can you tell me your thoughts on the usage rates of radiological imaging in the US when compared to the overall OECD average?

Do you think the switch over to ICD10 will even out the epidemiological differences between the US and other Western nations?

Care to share your thoughts on HL7 and any expected changes?

In other words: gently caress off with your stupid simplistic bullshit.

If the solution was so goddamn simple it would have been solved already.

Or as even Trump found out healthcare is complicated!

Since he found that out a couple a weeks before you that makes him smarter than you. Stop and think on that for a minute.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that the real solution was to unskew the liberal medical statistics industry.

How about this: gently caress all the stuff you talked about, let's try literally any other system at random, they're all better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

evilweasel posted:

:eng101: Obamacare attacked that problem as well! One of its major goals was to "bend the cost curve", adjusting the incentives in the medical system to encourage better and more efficient results.

Its also one of the things the AMA is dead set on getting killed no matter what else.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast-tag/bad-medicine/

TL;DR: One of the problems with the American Healthcare system is that Doctors are still viewed as unerring Demigods who can't be judged by mere mortals.

call to action posted:

Interesting, I hadn't heard that the real solution was to unskew the liberal medical statistics industry.

How about this: gently caress all the stuff you talked about, let's try literally any other system at random, they're all better.

I was hoping you would bother to google a few of those things and in doing so you would find out a huge part of the reason why Healthcare is more expensive in the US. Instead you took the stupid and lazy way out. My hopes were dashed, but somehow I'm not surprised.

Xae fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 20, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
"Sure, we have literal MSF-style medical encampments in the poorest areas of the US where people don't have access to even basic medical or dental services, and people break down crying when they get a $100 treatment for free, but in reality ICD10 and MRIs means this doesn't happen"

liberal propaganda:

loving MRIs killing our children! liberal CDC is agenda 21!!!

call to action fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 20, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Twerk from Home posted:

I see a larger risk in a public/private hybrid system for the states to gently caress things up. I'd be thrilled if we had Obamacare with full 50-state medicaid expansion, but instead we have a situation where a Texas family with $5k in income last year makes too much money to qualify for Medicaid and too little money to get any ACA subsidies.

Well that and, if we don't commit to a fully public program we will always be living on a knife-edge of the GOP deregulating the poo poo out of whatever public-private symbiosis foisted upon us and we spiral into the loving profit-driven thunderdome hellscape we currently inhabit.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 20, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

SousaphoneColossus posted:

One thing that has always struck me as weird is that the left in the US is so narrowly focused on single payer to the exclusion of other models. Lots of countries are not strictly speaking single payer UHC but their systems work well, and some would probably argue better than Canada or the UK.

It kinda reminds me how people in Seattle were stuck for years and years on the idea of monorails, to the exclusion of all other grade-separated rail, for expanding public transit.

Perfect is the enemy of good just like gently caress you is the enemy of poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

call to action posted:

"Sure, we have literal MSF-style medical encampments in the poorest areas of the US where people don't have access to even basic medical or dental services, and people break down crying when they get a $100 treatment for free, but in reality ICD10 and MRIs means this doesn't happen"

liberal propaganda:

the basic point here is you think this is a simple problem because you are too ignorant and stupid to realize what's difficult about the problem so you have no useful things to say, hence your trumpposting about how simple it all is

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

:eng101: Obamacare attacked that problem as well! One of its major goals was to "bend the cost curve", adjusting the incentives in the medical system to encourage better and more efficient results.

So to continue the trend of reducing inefficiency, what about a modest proposal of gradually lower the age in which Americans become eligible for Medicare while also encouraging supplier competition?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evilweasel posted:

the basic point here is you think this is a simple problem because you are too ignorant and stupid to realize what's difficult about the problem so you have no useful things to say, hence your trumpposting about how simple it all is

I've got one big savings immediately: allow providers to bulk-import drugs from Canada and align our FDA requirements so that if it's fine in Canada it's fine here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Well that and, if we don't commit to a fully public program we will always be living on a knife-edge of the GOP deregulating the poo poo out of whatever public-private symbiosis foisted upon us and we spiral into the loving profit-driven thunderdome hellscape we currently inhabit.

You can always privatize anything, if you really want. As a practical matter though it's not politically possible to abolish private health insurance without the public getting plenty of exposure to your new plan and switching over to it over time. Too many voters have good enough health insurance and (reasonably, given how important it is) fear the unknown of being put onto an unproven plan. The backlash would make the backlash to Obamacare look like a minor objection.

It's not the best place to end up, but that's the reality of where you can go from here. People just aren't going to be ok with being moved to UHC before its been proven, so a public-private thing is a necessary intermediate step.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got one big savings immediately: allow providers to bulk-import drugs from Canada and align our FDA requirements so that if it's fine in Canada it's fine here.

That's a backdoor way to accomplish what's much better off done through the front door. What you want is price caps on drugs along the lines of Canada's. So just legislate those caps, either explicitly or through allowing medicare to negotiate drug prices. If you only legalize drug importation from Canada there's too many avenues for drug companies to throw sand in the gears - supplying Canada with only enough for Canada, supplying it only under contracts that prohibit export, etc. And you're not going to face significantly less opposition since the drug companies know whats up, so they'll fight both proposals just about as hard.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

call to action posted:

liberal propaganda:

In all seriousness: Lurk More. You are clearly passionate about our healthcare system being a steaming pile of poo poo for many who must rely on it, but you seem to have bought the line that literally any other (first - world system) would be better and the only thing preventing that is politicians are too dumb/corrupt/selfish to propose it.

Many Americans believe we need to make changes to better handle healthcare for others in the country. What literally every effort at reform runs into, though, is that somewhere north of 60% of insured Americans rate their coverage as "good" or "excellent". Many of these people are eager for reforms, even if it means paying more, for those who are currently underserved. A sort of regulatory NIMBYism takes over when you ask these (if my math is right) 100m+ people to change the health care they and their family rely on.

You've stumbled into a rare d&d thread featuring people who know what the gently caress they're talking about (and also people who fantasybook the legislative process). You can read the thread to become more educated about a topic you clearly care about... or you can continue angrily flailing your way into a fuckbarreling.

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're referring to the Sanders/Klobuchar amendment from January, I'll note that Paul, Lee, and Cruz all crossed the aisle to support it. Generally, any time that trio is together on a bill/amendment with bipartisan opposition - especially as it relates to government regulation and consumer protection - Americans are about to get hosed for the benefit of "overregulated" corporations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SousaphoneColossus posted:

It kinda reminds me how people in Seattle were stuck for years and years on the idea of monorails, to the exclusion of all other grade-separated rail, for expanding public transit.
As a Seattlite, I can say that we'll be damned if we let those fuckers in Shelbyville have one and not us!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Confounding Factor posted:

I can agree with that and one of the problems I see in healthcare debates is that its so focused on "who pays?" rather than focusing on why healthcare costs so much in America. We spend the most per capita and get the least benefit, in fact we spend far and away more than other developed countries.

Not really the point of the thread, but how the gently caress is Spain so far above the curve? The only place I've seen that's more in love with smoking tobacco is Cuba.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PT6A posted:

Not really the point of the thread, but how the gently caress is Spain so far above the curve? The only place I've seen that's more in love with smoking tobacco is Cuba.
Look at the surrounding countries like Italy, Portugal and Greece.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The problem with adopting that diet in America is you need to also adopt their culture ie it's impossible.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The changes are here, folks! http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-bill-changes-236278

quote:

The amendment would establish a reserve fund of at least $75 billion for tax credits to help the core constituency that propelled Trump to the White House: Americans between 50 and 64, who would see their premiums skyrocket under the current repeal plan. But the amendment would not set up the tax credits – it would instruct the Senate to do so, forcing House Republicans to take a vote on something the upper chamber would do later.

Lmao. Looks like they finally found a strategy: pass a bill that makes other people come up with the actual "replace" part.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The problem with adopting that diet in America is you need to also adopt their culture ie it's impossible.

Then the UK is doing pretty well with a national diet nearly as bad as the USA.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

This is continuing to look more and more like a game of "I didn't kill the bill, you guys did!" hot potato among GOP lawmakers/politicians.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Paul Ryan sends a bill to Mitch McConnell with the text "I.O.U."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

The changes are here, folks! http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-bill-changes-236278

Lmao. Looks like they finally found a strategy: pass a bill that makes other people come up with the actual "replace" part.

It's the same "repeal and replace, write your own replace in your imagination and vote on the assumption we do that!" tack.

Also what the hell is this:

quote:

There is also a targeted change to Medicaid funding that’s specifically designed to garner support from New York’s delegation. It would attempt to transfer more Medicaid spending from counties to the state, by blocking New York from obtaining federal reimbursements for payments made by counties.

Rep. Chris Collins and other New York Republicans have been pushing leaders to add the amendment. Rep. Claudia Tenney told local reporters that the inclusion of the amendment would be essential to win her support for the whole repeal bill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Actually I assume the ambiguity of the $75b reserve fund is to make it completely impossible to score or predict what effect it will have on any one particular person, so AARP can't explain to their members how poo poo it is.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarianElephant posted:

Then the UK is doing pretty well with a national diet nearly as bad as the USA.
I can't think of a more sedentary, alientated, more chronically stressed with access to cheap carb-heavy calories country than the good ol' USA. There's more serious underlying problems with healthcare in the USA and they have little to do with diet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Phase 2 and 3 will fix this bill so good; you won't believe it!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

It's the same "repeal and replace, write your own replace in your imagination and vote on the assumption we do that!" tack.

Also what the hell is this:

I can't tell. Maybe Republicans don't like the county governments in New York and want to give more power to Cuomo? So glad NY State has such a great governor :shepface:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm not sure they are entirely wrong. If UHC got passed, I can't see employers saying "Since we don't need to pay for your healthcare any more, here's a $1,000 a month pay rise."

UHC of course isn't likely but there is no way it would happen withought deliberately capturing all the existing healthcare income streams one way or another. And one reason that's necessary is the size of healthcare. Nearly 20% of the economy can't be changed or cost reduced overnight.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have to appreciate the cynicism of setting up a 75 billion dollar subsidy reserve fund for old white people, but then also forcing the senate to come up with the actual mechanics of how that fund would work. :golfclap:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 21, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Phase 2 and 3 will fix this bill so good; you won't believe it!

I think they basically just added prong 1.5 now too

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Paracaidas posted:

The GOP can still escape this by following the Cruz path and having Pence overrule the parliamentarian about whether or not their other prongs can be passed via reconciliation. That broadens what they can put in to appease both wings in the house, but risks a pretty epic revolt in the Senate. There's also the chance that the parliamentarian rolls over if this becomes a real threat, to avoid the destruction of the office.

This will have serious and far-reaching consequences. If Pence, a de facto member of the executive branch, decides to interfere in the internal procedures of the Senate in this way, it would be a massive power transfer to the executive branch from the legislative. I can see some Senate Republicans blocking this to preserve the power of the Senate as an institution, and a bill passes as a result of this, the judiciary may even set aside the enrolled bill rule and review it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

UHC countries tend to spend less on drugs, because larger purchasers can negotiate better prices.

UHC countries tend to spend much less on administrative overhead, because everyone being covered under the same system simplifies administration.

It's not the size that results in lower drug prices. ESI negotiates with the purchasing power of like 100 million members

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'd actually say adopting the culture around food (not eating so loving much, and eating slower in general) is the most important change that could be made. God knows the French aren't avoiding butter or cream, and the Spanish are not avoiding red meats and/or cured meats, as we are commonly advised -- they just eat far less of it.

The only other thing I notice is that Europe is much less fond of putting sugar in loving everything. Why do American breads and bagels taste like cake? It's gross as gently caress to me, even though Canadian bread is still well higher in sugar than most European bread.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'd actually say adopting the culture around food (not eating so loving much, and eating slower in general) is the most important change that could be made. God knows the French aren't avoiding butter or cream, and the Spanish are not avoiding red meats and/or cured meats, as we are commonly advised -- they just eat far less of it.

The only other thing I notice is that Europe is much less fond of putting sugar in loving everything. Why do American breads and bagels taste like cake? It's gross as gently caress to me, even though Canadian bread is still well higher in sugar than most European bread.

there is a long version of this story, and a short version of this story, and one of the two of them is "corn subsidies".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

there is a long version of this story, and a short version of this story, and one of the two of them is "corn subsidies".

See, I don't understand that. Sure, corn syrup is cheap as gently caress, but it's still more expensive than not putting corn syrup in at all.

Unless they're literally being paid to add corn syrup to things?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

In all seriousness: Lurk More. You are clearly passionate about our healthcare system being a steaming pile of poo poo for many who must rely on it, but you seem to have bought the line that literally any other (first - world system) would be better and the only thing preventing that is politicians are too dumb/corrupt/selfish to propose it.

This isn't an unfair criticism at all, and the lovely incrementalism the Democrats tried that coincidentally happened to enrich a bunch of their donors has still left a lot of a people screwed and suffering for the foreseeable future, and is likely to be eroded anyway?

I'd be curious to read about how the UK/Canada/whatever went from laissez-faire healthcare to the NHS/province provided healthcare/etc. ?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I'm pretty sure the NHS was created almost immediately after the U.K. was bombed to poo poo during WW2.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

tekz posted:

This isn't an unfair criticism at all, and the lovely incrementalism the Democrats tried that coincidentally happened to enrich a bunch of their donors has still left a lot of a people screwed and suffering for the foreseeable future, and is likely to be eroded anyway?

I'd be curious to read about how the UK/Canada/whatever went from laissez-faire healthcare to the NHS/province provided healthcare/etc. ?

Fun fact: Literally any policy enacted by the Democrats will enrich a bunch of their donors, thanks to how campaign finance works in the US. May as well complain about them groveling at the demands of their oxygen breathing base. :argh:Big O2:argh:

You blame lovely incrementalism, I blame the specific portion of the base who stayed home in 2010 and the Supreme Court. I've also yet to see a credible proposal for reorganizing 20% of the economy and the majority of well-regarded current coverage into a single payer system: The AHSA (2013 model) was riddled with showstopping problems, Green Mountain Care was a nice idea (and not Single Payer) that proved unworkable in the best of circumstances, and Colorado saw their single payer plan lose 80-20 despite seeing Clinton and Bennett victories and majorities for the expansion of marijuana and hiking the minimum wage.

In the meantime, Republicans control both chambers and the White House and are struggling mightily to replace Obamacare despite it being the keystone of their platform for the last 6 years. Right now the smart money is still that they're unable to make substantial changes. The changes they do make will continue to screw people over. Generally, though, I'd chalk up survival under Endured rather than Eroded.

There remain flaws in the ACA that screw segments of the population and allow them to fall through the cracks. A public option gets part of the way to resolving that. Funding the risk corridors, (despite *enriching donors*) gets part of the way there. Rewriting the language of the Medicaid Expansion to survive Roberts gets part of the way there. If you have any content to contribute about how we can convince people to risk the coverage they currently enjoy and enact Single Payer or about ways to move towards UHC under the ACA, I'm all ears. If you'd prefer to whinge about the self-evident corruption of Democrats, I'll direct you to either of our subforums (depending on the flavor of your complaint) or nearly any other thread in this forum.

skull mask mcgee posted:

I'm pretty sure the NHS was created almost immediately after the U.K. was bombed to poo poo during WW2.

They were well down the road during the war, though it wasn't implemented until after. The Brits also "enriched their donors" (or rather, bribed the opposition) to help get it through, but I'll tap out here since I'm far from an expert on the topic. His legacy among the current Left (to the extent that we count Corbyn voters in Labour as the Left) has suffered a bit though-despite building much of what Thatcher aimed to destroy, only 43% named him one of their favorite Labour leaders (choosing up to 3), compared to 65% for Jeremy.

daydrinking is fun
Dec 1, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

There remain flaws in the ACA that screw segments of the population and allow them to fall through the cracks. A public option gets part of the way to resolving that. Funding the risk corridors, (despite *enriching donors*) gets part of the way there. Rewriting the language of the Medicaid Expansion to survive Roberts gets part of the way there. If you have any content to contribute about how we can convince people to risk the coverage they currently enjoy and enact Single Payer or about ways to move towards UHC under the ACA, I'm all ears. If you'd prefer to whinge about the self-evident corruption of Democrats, I'll direct you to either of our subforums (depending on the flavor of your complaint) or nearly any other thread in this forum.

When Democrats retake the Senate and house (whenever that happens) I'm sure they'll try to enact reforms like this, resulting in healthcare costs only growing by a few percentage points for a few years, and then it'll all be torn away by the next Republican administration. Meanwhile, millions of Americans will still be without healthcare, American healthcare costs will still be the highest in the world, and people will continue to wear bracelets with poo poo like "i'm too poor, don't call an ambulance" written on them. Liberal incrementalism has failed, you might as well go for broke and push for single payer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3Px11xN-0

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tekz posted:

that is exactly an unfair criticism and "lovely incrementalism" is basically a way to whine that other people realize that reality sometimes places constraints on what you can do

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

It'd be great if there was a party like this on the side pushing for UHC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tekz posted:

It'd be great if there was a party like this on the side pushing for UHC.

We will use the splintered bones of our enemies to write the Universal Healthcare Legislation IN BLOOD!!!