Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I thought Paradox's four timeline games (CK, EU, Vicky, HoI) all went in some sort of strange cycle.

What I'm saying is that we'll get CK3 once Vicky 3 happens and barfs out like 8 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The billion DLC model only really started with CK2. I don't think we can argue from anything before that.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

spectralent posted:

It really is.

how can so many people be so wrong

Way of Life should have been a free update. I agree with Old Gods and Reapers Due on that list, but I'd have to say Charlemagne is also essential, if only just for the extra gameplay time and initial challenges.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
EUIV has a billion dlc despite being the fourth game in the series.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Migrations era game that can be converted to CK2 please

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With the change to make it so that the demon child event can spawn the Aztecs early, Sunset Invasion has gone from a fun DLC to the best DLC.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Migrations era game that can be converted to CK2 please

Pussy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

binge crotching posted:

With the change to make it so that the demon child event can spawn the Aztecs early, Sunset Invasion has gone from a fun DLC to the best DLC.

Eh, I prefer the Aztecs as a late game event. The super early invasion from Demon Child just makes it a random "Screw The West Coast" event

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing I dislike about Sunset Invasion is that it doesn't add an easy way to play as Aztecs like there is for the Mongols.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I would really love to see a Pdox game that covers from Alexander to Charlemagne.

E: or the first Peloponnesian War to Alexander.

E2: Nah gently caress that, the Persian War to Alexander, the second Persian war with Xerxes I mean.

Basically I want to play a buncha big sweaty Greeks and smash into Persians/Illyrians/Italians/Sicilians while cornholing my mates during peacetime.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 20, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Toadsniff posted:

I used dark healing to cure my incapable 30 martial Emperor after he got his block knocked off.

Wait he was beheaded and you could cure it? I used dark healing 5 times and it didn't cure incapable for me.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
There can't be much gas left in the CK2 money machine before they call it a day. I'm just hoping they use the time they have left to get real weird with it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I would really love to see a Pdox game that covers from Alexander to Charlemagne.

E2: Nah gently caress that, the Persian War to Alexander, the second Persian war with Xerxes I mean.

Basically I want to play a buncha big sweaty Greeks and smash into Persians/Illyrians/Italians/Sicilians while cornholing my mates during peacetime.

Give me a game about the Finno-Korean Hyper-war.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

You may enjoy the Hegemony series by Longbow Games. None have quite the scope you want: there's one that focusses on Italy prior to the rise of Rome, with assorted Gauls, Greeks, Etruscans, and Oscans (and an expansion that adds Sicily and the Carthaginians); one on Greece during Philip's war to unite the Greek city-states, with western Asia Minor under the Persians and the Thracian and Illyrian tribes to the north thrown in as well (and that one has an expansion pack focussing on the Peloponnesian War); and one on Caesar's conquest of Gaul, and they tend to stick pretty closely to those areas. But they're real time grand strategy games, and I enjoy them, so if you want the closest thing there is at the moment to what you just said that isn't EU:Rome (which I personally cannot stand playing), I'd say give them a go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

EUIV has a billion dlc despite being the fourth game in the series.

Yeah but it's the first game in the series to use that model (EU3 I think had two or three major expansions?). Paradox has yet to develop a sequel to a game that used the CK2/EU4 dlc model and I'm not really sure how they're going to - whatever they add in a sequel would have to be fundamentally different enough to justify making a full sequel and losing all the dlc content vs. just making more dlc. And if it's TOO different, people might prefer the original game to the new one. It's kind of the same problem the Sims games have.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

suburban virgin posted:

There can't be much gas left in the CK2 money machine before they call it a day. I'm just hoping they use the time they have left to get real weird with it.

After an expansion whose most realised feature was literal dark magic, I'm not sure how they could get much weirder!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
They've actually started doing the work that would be involved with a new game, what with all the quality of life changes they've been doing with recent patches.

There's a lotta jank in CK2 that has to be worked around (The reason why the pope never disappears lol) that could be removed for a new game. Some core engine improvements they've already started on with Rajas and other stuff that would be way easier to implement?

I mean, I'm only going off of stuff that I've read so who knows; I ain't no machine talker

funktopus posted:

Thanks for this. I had no idea that West African pagans could raid, that's definitely new to me. I think I may restart with that knowledge.
And you're right, I play Old Gods.
This is my first time really playing a tribal government. I used to hate the idea, but I'm really warming up to the play style. The toughest part, really, is figuring out when it's the right time to reform the religion and convert to feudalism.
That point is always tricky; do it too early and you're too weak against your enemies; do it it too late and you've suffered for being too weak for too long. For West Africans, a good point in Old Gods is once you've just finished breaking the Idrisids but also have a truce with the Ummayds; the African Muslims are less of a hassle and hopefully you'll weather the storm well enough.

West-Africans especially are very tricky because usually the advice is to stockpile enough cash (easy enough when you can raid) to hire mercs against inevitable rebellions/invasion to start with but you only have access to a grand total of 1 mercenary bands, which is quite frankly infuriating and something that often lead me to create the khanatae of Canarias just to generate merc bands for the religion

The most dangerous time really is the time between the reformation of the faith and the appearance of the holy order: if you don't have enough piety for them then you have to rely on the band and uhhh, that is not gonna end well. So my advice would be to not reform both the religion and into feudalism at the same time unless you have a truce with the Ummayds at least; after all, the reformation gets rid of the opinion maluses for high tribal organization so it lets you linger a bit easier.

Dallan Invictus posted:

After an expansion whose most realised feature was literal dark magic, I'm not sure how they could get much weirder!
I always was a sucker for a Darklands sorta expansion; where the nonsense medieval people believed was actually true.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They've actually started doing the work that would be involved with a new game, what with all the quality of life changes they've been doing with recent patches.

There's a lotta jank in CK2 that has to be worked around (The reason why the pope never disappears lol) that could be removed for a new game. Some core engine improvements they've already started on with Rajas and other stuff that would be way easier to implement?

I mean, I'm only going off of stuff that I've read so who knows; I ain't no machine talker

The thing about this is that I can totally see wanting to do that as a developer, but as a consumer players are going to need a difference they can SEE in order to justify the existence of a sequel. Like it's all fine and nice to say "We rebuilt the engine from scratch and fixed all the things that were making our lives difficult when designing content for CK2", but unless that translates to a bunch of new content right out of the gate, it's going to be meaningless to 90% of players.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even if its an expansion that takes 2 years of development and costs $40, CK2 desperately needs new bones because the old ones have been pulverized to fine goo and its just been dancing around on puppet strings since the course of efficiency patches. Its kind of sad their model is literally run it into the ground until profit on DLC stops but Conclave, Reaper's Due, and Monks and Mystics are definitely making the best of the twilight years.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about this is that I can totally see wanting to do that as a developer, but as a consumer players are going to need a difference they can SEE in order to justify the existence of a sequel. Like it's all fine and nice to say "We rebuilt the engine from scratch and fixed all the things that were making our lives difficult when designing content for CK2", but unless that translates to a bunch of new content right out of the gate, it's going to be meaningless to 90% of players.
That's why they should focus on reworking the engine, UI and other things; CK2 is my baby to be sure but it is unwieldy as gently caress and byzantine in a way that isn't always great. It's certainly improved a lot on this, but at this point you might as well start over with lessons learned.

If CK3 is way simpler to play, looks better and is more intuitive, people will go to it. I'm thinking of the difference between HOI3 and 4; I may not find everything about HOI4 great but it took an incredibly complicated game and made it intuitive to play. (Maybe too much so but ehhhh)

The only real DLCs I can think of that would have to be integrated from the start would be Way of Life and maaaybe Reapers Due if they're starting over back at the first startdate. But they could redesign with those mechanics (focuses, favours and maybe more detailed province development) from the start as core systems rather than something added later as modifiers.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Whoever said Lucifer's Own was overpowered a few pages ago wasn't kidding. I managed to use the powers of Satan to cure being infirm. They really need to do something like massively increase the dark powers cost because I still had plenty left over after curing being a god drat vegetable.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lucinice posted:

Whoever said Lucifer's Own was overpowered a few pages ago wasn't kidding. I managed to use the powers of Satan to cure being infirm. They really need to do something like massively increase the dark powers cost because I still had plenty left over after curing being a god drat vegetable.
I kinda completely disagree: I would wish that they rather increased the power of everyone else to create a new balance where you can get the Power of JESUS to heal your family by laying hands on people, let the Assassins drug and kidnap more people, the Benedictines or the whatevers do crazy cool stuff too.

Let everyone have the love that Satan brings to the table

because if you wanna nerf the Satanists, you just turn on the "Satanist Supernatural poo poo: off" tab and voila

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I kinda completely disagree: I would wish that they rather increased the power of everyone else to create a new balance where you can get the Power of JESUS to heal your family by laying hands on people, let the Assassins drug and kidnap more people, the Benedictines or the whatevers do crazy cool stuff too.

Let everyone have the love that Satan brings to the table

because if you wanna nerf the Satanists, you just turn on the "Satanist Supernatural poo poo: off" tab and voila

Yeah the problem isn't so much that the satanists have too much stuff as it is that the other societies don't have enough. They're mostly passive bonuses which are nice but not very interesting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a risk/reward with exposure as a satanist and the bad ends for hermetic events that isn't present to ask for the monastic orders to bring up to mechanical parity, but there's a missed chance for the monastic orders to be an old men's club where you just farm relationship with everyone and have events around passing around jesus' foreskin and you have a chance to pocket it and switch it for a fake. Turn it into the religious fraternity that it wasn't necessarily was but would be really easy to imagine it being and add hijinks and whatnot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wish that the secret religions had a title like the hermetics have with their "apprentice" one where you can pretty much just bring someone into the society easily.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Aztecs fired for me, but I didn't pay very close attention, being Norse, and somehow they ended up on the Eastern border of the Byzantine Empire, with no sign of how they got there.

They spread for a while, and next time I checked on them they had engulfed most of the Byzantine lands, but their rulers were culturally Greek, and Ethnically Armenian, with no Aztec religion, Culture, or Ethnicity left on the map. But the Empire was still gold colored and called Aztec Empire.

Later, and unrelated to the above, my wife 'vanished without a trace', but I didn't sacrifice her and she wasn't captured prior or anything. She went straight from hanging out in court to Vanished.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Kind of odd that Satan is the great healer, really. Healing is more traditionally associated with the good guys.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Annath posted:

Aztecs fired for me, but I didn't pay very close attention, being Norse, and somehow they ended up on the Eastern border of the Byzantine Empire, with no sign of how they got there.

They spread for a while, and next time I checked on them they had engulfed most of the Byzantine lands, but their rulers were culturally Greek, and Ethnically Armenian, with no Aztec religion, Culture, or Ethnicity left on the map. But the Empire was still gold colored and called Aztec Empire.

Later, and unrelated to the above, my wife 'vanished without a trace', but I didn't sacrifice her and she wasn't captured prior or anything. She went straight from hanging out in court to Vanished.

Speaking of. Can you be a Secret Aztec, and form a Secret Aztec Society if you reform it?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Strudel Man posted:

Kind of odd that Satan is the great healer, really. Healing is more traditionally associated with the good guys.

This seems like an interesting point and a way of balancing out Satanism's power. IMO it'd be interesting to have the Satanic line actually *shorten* your lifespan or come with penalties in exchange for having much more aggressive moves like abducting people or making others sick (as well as the church constantly gunning for Satanists, too). Meanwhile the monastic orders etc. should be about helping others before yourself (though there should definitely be benefits to yourself, too). Satan does always come for his souls, after all...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the problem isn't so much that the satanists have too much stuff as it is that the other societies don't have enough. They're mostly passive bonuses which are nice but not very interesting.

If the Satanists get to summon demons, sacrifice their kids to increase their lifespan, and regenerate their severed dicks, it's only fair that the forces of the Light get to counterbalance that. Let's go Old Testament with this poo poo, I want to summon floods and rains of fire and raise characters from the dead and single-handedly beat entire armies to death with a severed donkey jaw.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Find one of the trumpets from Jericho, as a leader it gives you +100% siege rate.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Narrator posted:

Find one of the trumpets from Jericho, as a leader it gives you +100% siege rate.

I would cheat this into Genghis Khan inventory and see what would happen.

Hopefully not them just dicking around like they sometimes do

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dallan Invictus posted:

They could have an expansion that gives West Africans content heyooooooooooooooooo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

1stGear posted:

They could have an expansion that gives West Africans content heyooooooooooooooooo

That will happen right after the China and Hellenic Paganism expansions.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Annath posted:

She might have been brazen bulled.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Do magnum opusus disappear after a few generations? I had one of my early guys make one and it was still there on succession but I eventually noticed that it disappeared somewhere down the line. I didn't have the event where your necronomican and magnum opus gets stolen either, that I think someone mentioned happened to them.

I think the only requirement it had was to be in the Hermetic Society, which I am.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For a CK3 they could probably get away with waiting a few years after the last CK2 DLC. It would give people time to get bored and move on to other things. Then CK3 arrives with new features and you think "Oh wow, I haven't played Ck2 in years, CK3 will be great!".

As for what they could have in it... I think they'd probably need to include Muslims and Pagans at launch but they might be able to leave a lot of the other stuff until later. They could design it from the ground up to support Republics and Mongols when they add them and they could have a more complex feudal/vassal system that was more like the real world (ie. William being King of England but also vassal of France or how the HRE really worked).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

You can already do that in CK2 though :confused:

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Zero One posted:

As for what they could have in it... I think they'd probably need to include Muslims and Pagans at launch but they might be able to leave a lot of the other stuff until later. They could design it from the ground up to support Republics and Mongols when they add them and they could have a more complex feudal/vassal system that was more like the real world (ie. William being King of England but also vassal of France or how the HRE really worked).

As a drat-near-professional Byzantophile, decent non-feudal realm mechanics would be pretty close to the top of my wishlist. It wasn't just the ERE that was non-feudal; the early caliphate was as well, and I think playing either realm and trying to stop the slide into feudalism (something that the vassal governors of both realms tried to push for pretty hard at times, and eventually largely succeeded in both) while avoiding being murdered by the army or by a palace coup would be a cool and fun twist on the vassal management game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Do magnum opusus disappear after a few generations? I had one of my early guys make one and it was still there on succession but I eventually noticed that it disappeared somewhere down the line. I didn't have the event where your necronomican and magnum opus gets stolen either, that I think someone mentioned happened to them.

I think the only requirement it had was to be in the Hermetic Society, which I am.

You can lose stuff of any type upon succession, I think. It's kind of a downer, and you don't even get a notification when it happens.

• Locked thread