Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Is the Banshee like the Unicorn/Z/ZZ/nu/etc in that Riddhe is the only one who can unlock his potential or can I toss any newtype I want in there?

Banshee and Unicorn have a combo attack only available if Riddhe is piloting. Otherwise anyone can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stat-wise she's inferior of course but Ple can use the Nu's all-range attack. She doesn't say "Funnel! No wait, fin funnel!" anymore though which disappointed me.

I think All-Range is open but there's another, stronger one that's Amuro only.

If it wasn't for that I'd say Kincaid was perfect for the Zeta because the Zeta is a weirdly heavy Gundam in this game, relatively speaking, and Mr. Nau's got a weird but matching combination of nearly equal melee/ranged and Prevail.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

I think All-Range is open but there's another, stronger one that's Amuro only.
Oh yeah, now I remember that from Z3-2. At the time I attributed it to them going "ok let's finally unlock the all-range attack...wait, we did that in the last game already, so let's call this one all-range attack S".

The Nu Gundam has maybe in too many SRW games in a row.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah, now I remember that from Z3-2. At the time I attributed it to them going "ok let's finally unlock the all-range attack...wait, we did that in the last game already, so let's call this one all-range attack S".

I'm trying to focus on units/pilots that I'm not already tired of so I'm leaving out Nu and Daitarn most of the time with great stress.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's the Nu. It's probably easier to list the SRW games it hasn't been in.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Supremezero posted:

It's the Nu. It's probably easier to list the SRW games it hasn't been in.
They should just make the Re-GZ or Dijeh cool and make that Amuro's unit for at least one whole game someday.

edit: How many SRW games have started with him showing up in one of those and then immediately hearing that the Nu is in the shop and by stage ten he's back in it?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 20, 2017

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Samurai Sanders posted:

They should have just called it "Nu Last Shooting" like in the Gundam Versus games. That's the last part of that attack anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe they just shouldn't put universal century in the next srw game, at all :twisted:

seriously this game at least brought back zz and crossbone, which was fresh, but i really hope they aren't in the next one. Or that they do like, Victory and G-Saviour or something.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There was a time when all I knew about Victory was what I could suss out from playing Alpha with a dim grasp of Japanese.

So, the theme song.

It didn't end well, broadly speaking.

Anyway if we're dreaming of a UC-less SRW I say we go on ahead and dream of a UC-less, SEED-less SRW, please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if the only SEED representation is stargazer

edit: actually stargazer would have fit really well into V, gently caress

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

what if the only SEED representation is stargazer

Sustained.

e: I'd also accept Astray, I guess, but if I had to pick I'd take Stargazer purely on musical grounds.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2017

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I just want a SRW with all Supers, as dumb as that would be. Reals (Gundams, let's be real) are totally lame compared to Getter, Mazinger, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

PurplieNurplie posted:

I just want a SRW with all Supers, as dumb as that would be. Reals (Gundams, let's be real) are totally lame compared to Getter, Mazinger, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Have you met NEO?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PurplieNurplie posted:

Not me; the interaction between them both gameplay and story wise is one reason I like SRW so much.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Has there ever been a SRW without gundams?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PurplieNurplie posted:

This, but the exact literal opposite of this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Closest we've gotten to that was NEO, where G Gundam was the sole Gundam series and was post plot with Domon and the God Gundam being the only thing from that series in the game

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm pretty sure there's no more money penalty for losing pilots. I haven't seen the window pop up that tells me how much I've lost. This makes sense-- Negotiator did the same thing in Z, so I suppose the devs just said, "gently caress it." I know that I've been a little less OCD about keeping my units alive and healthy since I first discovered the lack of a penalty.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This, but the exact literal opposite of this.

:same:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Closest we've gotten to that was NEO, where G Gundam was the sole Gundam series and was post plot with Domon and the God Gundam being the only thing from that series in the game

Devil Gundam was also in it which owned because you had DG-cell infected Gold Brothers from Iron Leaguer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

besides neo i think the srw with the least gundams is k, which just had SEED (and stargazer, but that's like a tiny spice on top of SEED and so barely counts)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The basic controls change so little from one SRW game to the next that there are some small things that have bugged me since the beginning of the Alpha series. In a few scenarios in every game one of your carriers can't move, and if you push R1 or L1, to cycle to the next unit it will select that carrier next every single time when there's nothing it can do. Why is that anyway?

Maybe you had useable units docked in the carriers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The basic controls change so little from one SRW game to the next that there are some small things that have bugged me since the beginning of the Alpha series. In a few scenarios in every game one of your carriers can't move, and if you push R1 or L1, to cycle to the next unit it will select that carrier next every single time when there's nothing it can do. Why is that anyway?

Because while the carrier can't move it can still use spirits and attack and therefore counts as an active unit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Because while the carrier can't move it can still use spirits and attack and therefore counts as an active unit.
I know why it's part of the rotation, I just don't know why often you enter a situation where both r1 and l1 rotate to it (and it isn't the only other unit that hasn't acted or anything) when they are supposed to rotate in the opposite direction of each other...right?

Or did I completely misunderstand how such a basic thing works for a decade of playing a game? I guess it wouldn't be the first time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 20, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is there a rhyme or reason to who gets useful midgame upgrades? Like besides the new suits, some side characters seem to get new attacks that keep them relevant even if they aren't quite as good as the main characters and some are just seem to get gently caress all.

Also jesus Ange share some of the attacks with the other people from your anime. I think you have twice the unique attacks of the rest combined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know why it's part of the rotation, I just don't know why often you enter a situation where both r1 and l1 rotate to it (and it isn't the only other unit that hasn't acted or anything) when they are supposed to rotate in the opposite direction of each other...right?

Or did I completely misunderstand how such a basic thing works for a decade of playing a game? I guess it wouldn't be the first time.

I admit I'm not sure what you mean.It may be something I'm missing.

Zore posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to who gets useful midgame upgrades? Like besides the new suits, some side characters seem to get new attacks that keep them relevant even if they aren't quite as good as the main characters and some are just seem to get gently caress all.

Also jesus Ange share some of the attacks with the other people from your anime. I think you have twice the unique attacks of the rest combined.

A major thing to understand is that this stuff is based off the actual animes involved which rarely share upgrades. They try somewhat to balance units but it's impossible to get around the fact that, for example, The Methuss ain't ever getting poo poo.

They do try to fudge it sometimes (Asuka for example gets Beast Mode Eva-02 which is something Eva-02 did but never while Asuka piloted it) but it's pretty rare for them to make something up whole-cloth which limits their options.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 20, 2017

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I'm not sure what you mean.It may be something I'm missing.

When you use the left or right bumpers to try to scroll through your units, they usually send you back to your carriers first. It's usually not that bad, because you could just move said battleship, but is a giant pain when it's unable to act because of whatever plot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Irisize posted:

When you use the left or right bumpers to try to scroll through your units, they usually send you back to your carriers first. It's usually not that bad, because you could just move said battleship, but is a giant pain when it's unable to act because of whatever plot.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. It seems that carriers are always next no matter which direction you go around in the rotation. Even when it's not doing the stupid things that I'm talking about, there are many other situations where you want the carrier to act last, so it's a weird decision.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Endorph posted:

besides neo i think the srw with the least gundams is k, which just had SEED (and stargazer, but that's like a tiny spice on top of SEED and so barely counts)

Yeah but it had ALL the Seeds. Kira, Cagalli, Athrun, Shinn, Lunamaria, Lacus, Waltfeld, Yzak, Dearka, Hilda, and Heine, Stella, and Ray as secrets. Then you get Stargazer and the Strike Noir as well.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
UC Gundams would probably be less boring if it basically weren't just the usual Z/CCA and now Unicorn combo all the time.

Even OYW would be more exciting considering how rarely SRW uses it which is an ironic contrast to the usual Gundam treatment where OYW gets a ridiculous amount of focus in all other Gundam related games.

There's also a bit of power creep going on - Funnel units used to be like top tiers as reals go which made it exciting when you acquired one, but now they're usually just kinda "usable by the extremely low standards of SRW main character units"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
V was probably UC's best showing in a while solely because they reined themselves in and focused on retelling a single series instead of all of them simultaneously, so I'm down with UC getting sent to the retirement home after this game.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

The GIG posted:

V was probably UC's best showing in a while solely because they reined themselves in and focused on retelling a single series instead of all of them simultaneously, so I'm down with UC getting sent to the retirement home after this game.

Except that one series was Unicorn, which hasn't exactly lacked for representation lately.

Meanwhile, they brought ZZ and Crossbone back for the first time in ages and completely squander them. The fact that Desert loving Rommel shows up as an enemy and that they bothered to animate and voice several Crossbone grunts despite it not having a plot makes me think that those two series are refugees from a game that never happened (and that I desperately want). Or perhaps cut series from Jigoku-hen or Tengoku-hen.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They just need to look at it like curating a better story rather than shoving in All Your Favorites & trying to work backwards. I think it's more than okay for Unicorn to supplant CCA completely.

Amuro & Char can sit out a few games before coming roaring back with The Origin in tow. Ideally the OG crossover story would find a way to justify a route split with Origin story on one side, Thunderbolt on the other, with War in the Pocket straddling the line. And that'd be it. Three series, arranged for maximum impact.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HitTheTargets posted:

They just need to look at it like curating a better story rather than shoving in All Your Favorites & trying to work backwards. I think it's more than okay for Unicorn to supplant CCA completely.

Amuro & Char can sit out a few games before coming roaring back with The Origin in tow. Ideally the OG crossover story would find a way to justify a route split with Origin story on one side, Thunderbolt on the other, with War in the Pocket straddling the line. And that'd be it. Three series, arranged for maximum impact.

I... I think that's completely contrary to the idea of SRW.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like at this point the last barrier SRW has to overcome is getting Transformers in

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Supremezero posted:

SRW occasionally does a really good massive crossover event. It just also often does really :effort: crossover events. I can't think of any big trash fires offhand other than what they tried to do with Chronos in Z.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like at this point the last barrier SRW has to overcome is getting Transformers in

Nah, it's Sentai. You get ranges for both the zords and Kame Riders power suits like the Tekkaman guys.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Supremezero posted:

I mean, that's what V did with Unicorn. It just had a bunch of post-plot UC Gundam series hanging around waving their dicks in the wind too. If it helps, there's plenty of non-UC series waiting in the wings.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blockhouse posted:

megas xlr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kitfox88 posted:

megas xlr

okay, correction: the last barrier that is actually a thing that might happen

• Locked thread