Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

if you told me this was [insert any 80s hair rock guys here] i'd be like : "Yah i know obviously, i know who that guy is:ninja:" Jeebus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

I was initially interested based on the cast but it's a David E. Kelley show and he isn't really good anymore and reviews all said the cast was the only good thing

The performances elevate the script to the point where the writing kind of doesn't matter -- which sounds totally dumb but when you've got Reese Witherspoon doing a Reese Witherspoon character turned up to eleven and Nicole Kidman with her emotionless face somehow showing thirteen discrete emotions at once, it really is true. And the editing and directing are fantastic, especially in this last episode which had some excellent jarring moments.

Given it takes a few episodes to get going though I can see why you'd not want to bother. It's definitely my "kind" of show though, so I was willing to get through the somewhat clunky first ep to get to the meaty stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What kind of show would you say it is? I'm interested for sure, but notice the director hasn't done much I liked either :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

UKS is basically why I said only nearly all of them sucked.

And that was basically an NBC show that Netflix bought after they changed their minds on it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
For all the poo poo that you people have been piling on the Marvel Netflix shows, why the hell did you vote them so drat high in the TVIV viewers poll?

Speaking of Netflix credit sequences, on top of the already mentioned UKS titles, Love, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, The Get Down, BoJack Horseman, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lady Dynamite and Santa Clarita Diet all have good opening titles.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just gonna guess that different people like and dislike them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

What kind of show would you say it is? I'm interested for sure, but notice the director hasn't done much I liked either :(

If you never watched Picket Fences you are missing out my dude. It's like... it has the weirdo big cast of a Twin Peaks or Northern Exposure but it tackles more grounded small town issues and oh god it's so good.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Someone mentioned ages ago that openings should have their own award category in the Emmy's and they really should. In Netflix, I loved the Jessica Jones opening theme jingle and nothing beats the foreboding Dexter and most American Horror Story openings did.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

If you never watched Picket Fences you are missing out my dude. It's like... it has the weirdo big cast of a Twin Peaks or Northern Exposure but it tackles more grounded small town issues and oh god it's so good.

I only remember one thing about Picket Fences: Fyvush Motherfucking Finkel.

🎶"He touched meeee..."🎶

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Man I loved this show, and literally NONE of my friends watched it. They just saw it as "some other grown up show". Is it streaming somewhere?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

Someone mentioned ages ago that openings should have their own award category in the Emmy's and they really should. In Netflix, I loved the Jessica Jones opening theme jingle and nothing beats the foreboding Dexter and most American Horror Story openings did.

Pretty sure they do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually would anyone be interested in a General 90s Important Show thread? Lotta great shows that have become mostly forgotten for various reasons - stuff like My So-Called Life (which is on Hulu), The Real World (most of it is on Hulu I think), Northern Exposure (hard to find outside YouTube because of music rights), Picket Fences, and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Basically it would be a catchall forum for us old people to discuss how issues like LGBT rights, the environment, race, etc. rose sharply to prominence (both critically and commercially) in that period, and a way for younger people to discover these shows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looten Plunder posted:

For all the poo poo that you people have been piling on the Marvel Netflix shows, why the hell did you vote them so drat high in the TVIV viewers poll?

The whiners post much more often.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Man I loved this show, and literally NONE of my friends watched it. They just saw it as "some other grown up show". Is it streaming somewhere?

Looks like seasons of it are on Amazon for $10 each, well worth the price.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Actually would anyone be interested in a General 90s Important Show thread? Lotta great shows that have become mostly forgotten for various reasons - stuff like My So-Called Life (which is on Hulu), The Real World (most of it is on Hulu I think), Northern Exposure (hard to find outside YouTube because of music rights), Picket Fences, and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Basically it would be a catchall forum for us old people to discuss how issues like LGBT rights, the environment, race, etc. rose sharply to prominence (both critically and commercially) in that period, and a way for younger people to discover these shows.

As long as we talk about the two god drat best 90s shows.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pretty sure they do

Holy poo poo, wow. I should have done a quick Google search. There's even a Wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Main_Title_Design

I know Main Title has nothing to do with the quality of a show, but I need to watch The Man in the High Castle.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

That might be interesting! I don't know how often I'd post in it, but if you're willing to put in the effort, I'd love to read that OP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So this week's episode of Making History had very little time travel but it was probably the best of the three that have aired so far.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

For me, the "kind" of show it is is a show about rich neurotic mothers who project their insecurities onto their children and have fraught political entanglements with other mothers. Which is mostly Reese Witherspoon's character, but it's also got some great examination of trauma in there. But I love that whole genre. I actually watch it with my mum every week and it's a lot of fun.

I don't love the director's other stuff much, but he definitely provides a cohesive vision for the show that just looks great.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gluten Freeman posted:

For me, the "kind" of show it is is a show about rich neurotic mothers who project their insecurities onto their children and have fraught political entanglements with other mothers. Which is mostly Reese Witherspoon's character, but it's also got some great examination of trauma in there. But I love that whole genre. I actually watch it with my mum every week and it's a lot of fun.

I don't love the director's other stuff much, but he definitely provides a cohesive vision for the show that just looks great.

Yeah, rich rear end in a top hat helicopter parents with a side of intrigue since the season is built around figuring out which of the main characters shot another person. It's a slow burn but it's well acted, the cinematography is gorgeous and the plot with Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgard's characters is one of the more sobering portrayals of an abusive relationship I've seen in a while.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looten Plunder posted:

Because nobody who actually values their time would waste god knows how long doing exhaustive rankings of shows and writing persuasive essays about their greatness for an internet forum award, especially one that only like a dozen people even read or care about.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Because nobody who actually values their time would waste god knows how long doing exhaustive rankings of shows and writing persuasive essays about their greatness for an internet forum award, especially one that only like a dozen people even read or care about.

Says Something Awful Internet Poster Guy Mann who has nearly 5 thousand posts in the last year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

As long as we talk about the two god drat best 90s shows.

Profit was dark as gently caress, one of the darkest strangest network shows that wasn't topped for several years. I remeber getting the DVDs from Netflix on a whim and being completely drawn in. Its like some bizarre early 90s tech executive Mad Men fever dream with constant betrayal and murder.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

Profit was dark as gently caress, one of the darkest strangest network shows that wasn't topped for several years. I remeber getting the DVDs from Netflix on a whim and being completely drawn in. Its like some bizarre early 90s tech executive Mad Men fever dream with constant betrayal and murder.

And very 90s computer hacking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, it did get weird and silly a lot, but that was the charm. Fyvush Finkel is so good in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure it shares the same universe as Ally McBeal and The Practice, which is a show where a serial killer dressed up as a nun.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Picket Fences was also supposed to have a crossover with the X-Files until CBS nixed it. Both shows still made episodes with similar plots (X-Files' Red Museum).
It was peak David E. Kelley before he became too David E. Kelley. Crazy stuff happened (e.g. the discovery of the Catholic priest's fetish/collection of women's shoes), but the stories resolved in a grounded way. Fyvush Finkel was great, especially with Judge Henry Bone.

Then it got replaced by American Gothic. That was great too, except CBS aired the eps way out of order.

A while later came Now & Again in that late Friday CBS slot. It was great and I'm still mad at the cliffhanger ending of its first and only season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now & Again had potential but the main plot was a mess.

I spent the afternoon wrapping up Iron Fist (which isn't anywhere close to as bad as people said) so I spent the evening catching up on shows from last week. I'm watching the second episode of the new Samurai Jack and rather than doing the smart thing and barely using Aku since his original voice actor Mako passed away, they instead opened the episode with a ton of Aku dialogue and the guy who replaced Mako is terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I spent the afternoon wrapping up Iron Fist (which isn't anywhere close to as bad as people said) so I spent the evening catching up on shows from last week. I'm watching the second episode of the new Samurai Jack and rather than doing the smart thing and barely using Aku since his original voice actor Mako passed away, they instead opened the episode with a ton of Aku dialogue and the guy who replaced Mako is terrible.

:goonsay:

He was fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having just rewatched the entire original series I must strongly disagree.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, rich rear end in a top hat helicopter parents with a side of intrigue since the season is built around figuring out which of the main characters shot another person. It's a slow burn but it's well acted, the cinematography is gorgeous and the plot with Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgard's characters is one of the more sobering portrayals of an abusive relationship I've seen in a while.

Yep, Skarsgard is terrifying and Kidman's acting as this woman who just does not want to believe the stuff that is happening is so, so good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Once I found a copy of the 1910 Encyclopedia Brittanica featured in the episode of Picket Fences about the child who gets in trouble for quoting the section about comparative brain sizes of various races and Crikey it really was that bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching the second episode of the new Samurai Jack and rather than doing the smart thing and barely using Aku since his original voice actor Mako passed away, they instead opened the episode with a ton of Aku dialogue and the guy who replaced Mako is terrible.

Yeah well, Mako was up there with Tony Jay for being inimitable, anyone trying to replace him is gonna sound like poo poo in comparison.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rome, Wisconsin is an extremely tiny unincorporated craphole in the middle of nowhere.

My gfs family live there. They feed deer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Being able to feed deer isn't really a telling metric for middle of nowhere. Deer are everywhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No, but when you have to drive an hour of 1 lane back roads just to get to her folks house, yes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On a near weekly basis in the summer I wake up to a deer on my lawn eating my garden.

Those fuckers are not only everywhere but they don't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybe he meant they feed deer out of their hands, which only happens if you're so far out there that the deer don't fear humans and the humans don't think deer are giant tickbag car-destroying vermin.

• Locked thread