Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Weather is pretty nice out, so I'm out on the patio with my laptop. And I'm quickly discovering that there's gotta be a wasp nest somewhere nearby. :argh:

jammyozzy posted:

Finally made it back "home" to Indy after 10 days on the road in Florida. I slept properly maybe one night in that, and that was after closing out two bars in Clearwater. I've not been this happy to sit on my arse and vegetate on the sofa in a long time.

I also flew out on my birthday, so I had a couple of presents waiting in the office from my boyfriend when I got in today. Kinda glad I didn't open them in the office...

:nws: if you're easily offended: http://i.imgur.com/QPek4mQ.jpg

I'm gonna have to see if I can find the pictures of what I sent Motronic for AI:SS one year. :v: Well, one item in particular.

e: :saddowns: can't find the pics

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, Taschen, always a reliable source of "It's art, ok?".

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Ah, Taschen, always a reliable source of "It's art, ok?".

Having flicked through it, I can't even try and argue that it's art.

On Thursday at Sebring I kind of accidentally on purpose found myself somewhere I wasn't supposed to be and got to hang out there for like 15 mins until being challenged. In my lousy defence I had my camera on my arm and got waved in there. Some snaps:

I've watched it on TV for years, but it doesn't do any justice to just how bumpy this track is. I never got a good shot of it, but even the prototypes are so close to picking up the inside front wheel over one of the bumps in T1:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Weird.. just saw a beat to poo poo mid 00s Altima (complete with mismatched bumpers) roll+creak through my parking lot...

Outfitted with the license plate camera setup that I've seen in some neighboring cities. 4 cameras total on the roof. Looked brand new, and definitely the same camera setup I've seen on marked police cars.

e: guessing a skip tracer, but that camera setup is worth more than the car is worth. He's been driving through my apartment complex for the past 15 minutes, and occasionally getting out to look inside cars

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'll have about five hours to kill at the Stockholm Arlanda airport on Wednesday. What's worth seeing / doing within reasonable travel time of there?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Weird.. just saw a beat to poo poo mid 00s Altima (complete with mismatched bumpers) roll+creak through my parking lot...

Outfitted with the license plate camera setup that I've seen in some neighboring cities. 4 cameras total on the roof. Looked brand new, and definitely the same camera setup I've seen on marked police cars.

fake edit: looks like it's driving through the entire property, so probably a repo guy or skip tracer. I'll see if I can snag a pic next time he passes my building.

I saw something similar to this, but I can't really remember what it was. The difference was it actually had a city logo and "registration enforcement" on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No logo on this, and I doubt the city, as lovely as it is, would have such a beat up car. Plus the city can't enforce registration laws in a parking lot. I talked to the city already, they said it definitely does not belong to them.

I snagged a couple of pics as he went across the street to the other phase of my apt complex.

e: city took it pretty seriously and sent 4 cops (3 squads), guy drove right past them and got lit up. Turns out it's a repo guy. Just amazed how much money they spent on a camera setup for such a beat up car, cops said they see skip tracers driving total shitboxes all the time... they just tend to be a bit more discreet with the cameras.

At least I know not to call the city about that particular car now. The cops said they appreciated someone actually looking out around here, since this isn't a great part of town. I don't bother them around here unless I hear screaming, gunshots, or see something that really stands out as weird (like a car crawling through the entire complex several times). He's still driving through the area.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 21, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wow that's one beat Altima. It would be slightly less conspicuous on an old vehicle with a roof rack.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I could see that being useful for a repo guy or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah exactly. I was listening to the police scanner when they called in the tags... it's a 2004. That has to be one of maybe a dozen early QR25s still running.

There's a city I drive through quite a bit that has a Ford Escape with the same camera setup, except it's black, with a roof rack, and the wires actually run through grommets in the body instead of through the doors. You don't notice the cameras unless you're right behind it or next to it; they use it mostly to catch expired registrations with street-parked vehicles :rolleyes:

Powershift posted:

I could see that being useful for a repo guy or something.

Yeah definitely, if the person avoiding repo hasn't swapped plates. Easy red flag is if someone printed off 7 day temporary tags, you see that on something matching your repo list and you just hop out and check the VIN.

I would think it'd be more useful for a dedicated skip tracer though, instead of one repo outfit - #1, because that's one hell of an expensive setup, and #2, one skip tracer could probably find multiple cars for multiple companies per day (they're usually paid by the car, right? not by the hour?). I would imagine repo is hell in this neighborhood, it's all apartments with a ton of parking. My apartment complex alone is around 850 apartments.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 21, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's probably so when he steals a car legally and the fuckbag deadbeat comes out and makes up a big plate of lies about how he beat them up, he has evidence to show the cops.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The cameras on that car don't do video, IIRC they're not "cameras" in the traditional sense. If you're gonna do that, just do what RepoNut on Youtube does and clip a bunch of GoPros everywhere (including wearing one).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, a tow truck is now doing the slow roll through the parking lot. Guess the skip tracer found a car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Weirdly I saw a car with that stuff on it the other day, forgot about it til now. Was an old red 3rd-gen Camaro with tinted windows, the cameras looked super out of place and I kinda went WTF as I passed it (he was chilling at 5 under on the highway). Guess now I know what was up with it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah if it had blacked out windows and was on the highway with that setup, you can pretty much count on that being a cop or parking enforcement or something along those lines - I know the city my parents live in have a few cars with the same setup, and they claim they use it to catch stolen vehicles. I've seen cops use some weird as hell unmarked vehicles... I've been stopped by an 80s Aerostar (in the 2000s) that was more bare metal than paint before (blacked out windows and red/blues behind them, and a uniformed officer that I'd seen before).

This was the first time I'd seen that license plate reader setup in a non-law enforcement role.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's the deal with rental cars and California's toll system? Dollar said that the transceiver is activated as you leave the lot? It felt like the kind of thing where they could have it activated on all cars and just try to get people to buy into the system. Driving between LA and SF and around there, I didn't see a single toll, but didn't know what to look for.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just got new tires on my truck, Destination LEs. It rides a ton better than it did on three worn out tires and a spare :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah if it had blacked out windows and was on the highway with that setup, you can pretty much count on that being a cop or parking enforcement or something along those lines - I know the city my parents live in have a few cars with the same setup, and they claim they use it to catch stolen vehicles. I've seen cops use some weird as hell unmarked vehicles... I've been stopped by an 80s Aerostar (in the 2000s) that was more bare metal than paint before (blacked out windows and red/blues behind them, and a uniformed officer that I'd seen before).

This was the first time I'd seen that license plate reader setup in a non-law enforcement role.

I'm work-friends with a couple of the local PD guys. They have four 2010ish Altimas they use for undercover/sting work, all limo-tinted but different colors. Apparently they were staking out a stolen car parked on a street, waiting for someone to come pick it up. They had four officers in the Altimas parked within eyesight, covering the different exits. Around 3AM a car comes creeping down the street real slow, with the windows down. They watched the driver look at each of the four Altimas with great interest, then drive casually away.

:v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mam I know I'm fat, but apparently "medically normal" weight for someone my 6'5" height is 150 to 200lb? I'm pretty sure I'd look like a stick figure at that weight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Mam I know I'm fat, but apparently "medically normal" weight for someone my 6'5" height is 150 to 200lb? I'm pretty sure I'd look like a stick figure at that weight.

I'm 5'8" and currently hovering around 200lbs and the Doc said I'm 30lbs overweight,

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm 6'9 and 420lbs

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I snagged the Forza 3 Horizon PC demo.

...... my PC seems really lovely now. I can play the demo, but it struggles to maintain 30 FPS. :sigh: I think my CPU (i5-2500k @ 4.2 GHz) is enough (even though their spec page says it's not); pretty sure it's my GTX 650 Ti SSC that's holding it back. Had CoreTemp and an EVGA utility running on the second screen, CPU temps didn't go up much (and load never really got past 40%), but the GPU temps skyrocketed. Video card fan sounded like my hairdryer after a few minutes.

Rhyno posted:

I'm 5'8" and currently hovering around 200lbs and the Doc said I'm 30lbs overweight,

Subtract an inch, but I'm around 200 myself... doctor says 30-40 pounds over.

I mean... I'd love to be about 165-170. 160 seems a bit on the skinny side for me, personally. I'm in a 34" waist (down from 40!), I wouldn't mind being back down to 30. My dad, on the other hand, claims he weighs more than he has in his entire life, at 70 years old. He's 5'10 and 170, and I'd say he's very physically active for a 70 year old (far more active than I am, by a few times). I definitely got my mother's metabolism instead of his.. and going by my latest round of bloodwork, I also got my mother's thyroid (numbers are at the extreme low end of "normal", which is kinda unusual for my age) :sigh:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm 6'9 and 420lbs

so whatcha doin after work? :wmwink:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 21, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, it's the 650. I have a 970 (next step up) and it struggles a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My little brother is 5'7" and like 140lbs. He's horrifyingly skinny but he's totally healthy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm 6'5" and 350, it's almost funny seeing people quibble over 5 pounds here and there when I could drop 100 and still technically be obese.

I'm reasonably active though (walking all over a spread out campus helps) and my blood pressure dropped to like 125/75 since starting depression/anxiety meds recently, so... :shrug:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, that's poo poo is loving bullshit. I don't think it scales well for height or anyone with any muscle mass.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

I'll have about five hours to kill at the Stockholm Arlanda airport on Wednesday. What's worth seeing / doing within reasonable travel time of there?

Stockholm is a great walking city. If I just had a few hours there and my starting place was the central station (where you'd get off from the bus after a 20-30 minute ride), City Hall is right there and is really stunning, and after that I'd walk to Gamla Stan and just have a cup of coffee somewhere. If you're big on touring things or museums Riddarholmen church is awesome (might not be open right now though), as are the museums in the royal palace. I thought the Nobel museum was pretty boring though.

e: If you like government stuff touring parliament is p cool.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 21, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I do a lot of bike riding and racing, so being a few pounds lighter does make a difference going up those hills. I'm about 6'2, and before I got into it I was creeping up on 215, and that was definitely getting chubby. Now I'm generally in the 175 range, but would like to be 165 or less once mtb race season gets going.

Of course, if I drank less beer it would be easier, but that would take out a lot of the fun of riding bikes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

At 6'9, when i first got sick i dropped to 240lbs, and was nothing but skin and bones, but still "overweight' according to BMI.

to break into the "normal" range on BMI, i would have to be dead and be missing a leg. The bottom end of "normal" at 6'9 is 175lbs which is loving hilarious.

I'm about 265 right now, and if i went in and told a doctor i wanted to lose 90lbs, they would send me to a therapist.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I definitely need to lose about thirty or forty pounds... I've basically just maintained the same weight for months, ughhh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Real talk, weight charts are massive bullshit, especially for young adults who don't know poo poo. Back in 2012 when I was sticking to a workout, I got down to about 265, 36in pants and could wear medium shirts. I had decent muscle mass, if still a bit squishy over top. Because I was still "obese" I thought I had to lose another 40lb and get to like 10% body fat to actually be healthy.

I look back at pics from those years and it's like HOLY gently caress THAT WAS THE PRIME OF MY LIFE AND I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT. I legitimately didn't feel any better than I do now, partly due to untreated brain problems but still. I honestly looked good and I couldn't even enjoy it.

Man, this got angsty fast. Time to try and go to sleep so I can survive my drat morning lecture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm back on the fitness wagon having completely changed my diet, cut all sugars and hit the elliptical as often as I can. Hell I'd be on it right now if any of my workout gear wasn't sopping wet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I'm 260 and 5;10. I was 240lbs in the 6th grade. I was over 300 before I left my ex for the first time. I got down to 190 to join the Army, but that included a no-poo poo 17lb weight loss the night before spending the entire day in a sauna, a hot tub, and taking laxatives. My piss had viscosity then.

I was 274lbs right before this breakup, though, so I'm feeling better. 15 lbs in just over a month.

In lighter news, my patches came in, but I couldn't find my sewing kit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been trying to gain weight, loving crohns disease would wither me away if I let it :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've been trying to gain weight, loving crohns disease would wither me away if I let it :(

Uh huh.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
5'8" and 155lb in your weird units, I'm happier floating around 150lb but have been drinking too many beers since christmas

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I've got Crohn's, this is not my experience. I'm sorry it's got you bad though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sinestro posted:

I've got Crohn's, this is not my experience. I'm sorry it's got you bad though.

I can't complain too much, there are people that have it a lot worse than me. I'm 6 foot, used to average about 165, and went as low as 148 when I was first diagnosed, and now I can keep it around 155. If I eat a poo poo ton and lift weights I can stay around 160 but it's a lot of work. Especially with low energy issues, pain, and just not wanting to eat in general cuz of the disease.

I just saw a medical marijuana doctor recently and I'm waiting on my card so hopefully that will help :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keep fighting. I've been battling UC, completely off meds, the remicade quit working, and the only alternate suggested by the doctor is surgery.

They're really close to pinpointing the causes, and solutions. in UC and moreso in chron's, there's significantly lower diversity in the gut biome. They can basically tell with almost absolute certainty by looking at the population of bacteria in your colon whether you're healthy, have UC, or chron's. Interestingly, they can tell with around 90% certainly if you're obese just by looking at your gut bacteria, although they're not sure if it's cause or effect. In trials with rats, they could take a clean mouse, and populate it's gut with the fecal bacteria of an obese person and without any other change of environment, the mouse would become obese. They could populate the gut of a clean mouse genetically pre-disposed to colitis with the fecal bacteria of someone with colitis, and it would form in the mouse.

Fecal transplant will likely be the cure, but the FDA is trying to say that for it to be a treatment it has to be produced in the same sterile environment as pharmaceutical biologics, which is impossible. it's only approved right now for treatment of recurring C. Diff infections where anti-biotics have failed. It seems to be a lot more complicated than a single healthy donor to someone with disbiosis, the C. Diff patients they usually use a combination from 7 or 8 healthy donors to increase the chances of a healthy population of microbes growing.

It's interesting what could be connected. Diabetes and obesity through insulin resistance, cholesterol and heart disease through triggers caused by unprocessed bile acids, most auto-immune disease from eczema to arthritis or chron's, and even possibly things like rett's disease, depression, or alzheimers. The next decade of medicine could be entirely "eat poo poo and live", and in 20 years people could be horrified that we used broad spectrum anti-biotics not because of superbugs and the like, but because of the destruction it causes within the gut, which has far more to do with every other part of the body's function than we ever thought.

The big problem is all of the research is academic and non-profit, because you can't patent poop.

it's completely painful to think back at the treatments i've gone through for this, and how they basically did the worst things they could possibly do at every step of the way. If antibiotics cleared it up in a week, why would they then not treat it as an infection? why would they treat what acts like an infection with immune suppresants? Why would they use anti-biotics to clear the gut flora, and then do nothing to healthily re-populate it? Just kill everything and then straight to garbage half cooked hospital food. With science clearly moving quickly towards a solution, why are they still removing people's loving organs forever denying them a chance at a cure?

I can't complain too much, there are people that have it a lot worse than me. I'm 6 foot, used to average about 165, and went as low as 148 when I was first diagnosed, and now I can keep it around 155. If I eat a poo poo ton and lift weights I can stay around 160 but it's a lot of work. Especially with low energy issues, pain, and just not wanting to eat in general cuz of the disease.

I just saw a medical marijuana doctor recently and I'm waiting on my card so hopefully that will help :)

That's because the traditional treatments, immune suppressants, only treat 1 symptom, which is the immune system attacking the bacteria, and damaging the GI tract in the process. They don't even begin to address other issues caused by disbiosis like the depression that comes from a lack of serotonin production in the gut and potential insulin resistance leading to fatigue. They don't consider those problems as being part of it because they don't yet have an answer for them. They think if you're not on the toilet 20 times a day it's under control, and then going 5 days at a time without sleep is a different doctor's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's 1:30AM and I'm stuck in a Dennys watching the numbers go down on a grease soaked freezer. Holy poo poo do they need a steam cleaning crew in here.

Refrigeration is fuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn

• Locked thread