Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

Well, time for about 16 uninterrupted hours of people calling Cole (well, his actor) a killer.

They're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

Man Wild Force is such a wet fart after Time Force

It's got Forever Red and Reinforcements though, at least.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sockser posted:

Man Wld Force is such a wet fart after Time Force
The tine bits and scraps I have seen from it make it look okay, but Time Force was excellent so it will be a meh followup.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I remember liking Wild Force as a kid.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MorphinTime MURDER RANGERS FLYING HIGHER, GO MorphinTime MURDER FORCE RUNNING FASTER, MorphinTime MURDER FORCE POWER RANGERS STICK TOGETHER, GO MorphinTime WE WILL MURDER OUR ROOMATES MorphinTime

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Super curious about this unused Wild Force theme.
Sounds like some bad late 90s altpop. Like Sugar Ray or something. Chat's loving MurderRed here.

"They're not sending their best rangers"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

"The only real samurai ranger" Wow, that is cold chat; bravo. :prepop:
FYI: The murder/manslaughter was with a samurai sword or similar weapon. and played a villain in PR:Samurai

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Power Rangers: Wild Force (2002)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Worst morpher.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Worst morpher.

Yeah we got a uhhhhhhh flip phone that turns into a lion that turns into a little man sorta and then you jump through it and that's how it works

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It's got Forever Red and Reinforcements though, at least.

I should rewatch Reinforcements since the new context of it makes it sound a lot more interesting. Also, RIP the Org costumes they were planning on using then.

This is also the first Sentai-like role call I've seen in PR it looks like or as close as it can get.

This is also the first Sentai that did the modular collectibles and iirc, they went went pretty all in on it in this one and Ninja Storm

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sockser posted:

Yeah we got a uhhhhhhh flip phone that turns into a lion that turns into a little man sorta and then you jump through it and that's how it works

And the toy version couldn't even turn into all the animals

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

This is also the first Sentai that did the modular collectibles and iirc, they went went pretty all in on it in this one and Ninja Storm

Yeah, this was really the kickoff of collectible gimmicks, wasn't it?
Ninja Storm had the balls, Dino Thunder had the morpher faceplates,I guess they took a couple years off from that til, what, Samurai?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Xelkelvos posted:

I should rewatch Reinforcements since the new context of it makes it sound a lot more interesting. Also, RIP the Org costumes they were planning on using then.

This is also the first Sentai-like role call I've seen in PR it looks like or as close as it can get.

It feels like a sentai roll-call because that's litteraly what it is. Wild Force is almost literally a translation of Gaoranger.

GAAAAAAOOOO!!!!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sucks that Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai couldn't get adapted.

Seeing Big One would've been something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Chat the moment they combined the weapons into a big sword: :stare:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

I love how modular the Zord formations are in this.

This season should have been my favorite as a kid because the zords were my favorite part of any episode (probably to the point where I didn't give that much of a poo poo about the rangers) yet this is the season that I distinctly remember not watching because it was boring as poo poo (and I guess I also became a teenager who slept until noon on Saturdays around this time).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This man killed someone with a sword

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

This season should have been my favorite as a kid because the zords were my favorite part of any episode (probably to the point where I didn't give that much of a poo poo about the rangers) yet this is the season that I distinctly remember not watching because it was boring as poo poo (and I guess I also became a teenager who slept until noon on Saturdays around this time).
After like 9 seasons of this you probably aged out to the point that you saw the 20 animal zords as blatantly toyetic crap.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I really like Wild Force on its own merits. They have a great team dynamic. Coming after Time Force (which is arguably one of the best PR seasons ever) was a tough act to follow. I love the characters and the zords, too. Gaoranger is really good, too, with a fun OP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zedd posted:

Chat the moment they combined the weapons into a big sword: :stare:

Cole could probably kill a roommate in a different house with that thing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jindrax and Toxica are two of the best minion characters in the franchise.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Jindrax and Toxica are two of the best minion characters in the franchise.

Their Sentai counterparts more delightful, and I didn't even think that was possible. Everybody should watch Gaoranger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

After like 9 seasons of this you probably aged out to the point that you saw the 20 animal zords as blatantly toyetic crap.

Maybe, but you're talking to the chump kid who bought the Astro Galactic Megazord without realizing it was a recolor, so if I'd just been a couple of years younger (and therefore back in Wild Force's target demographic) I would have snapped up all those stupid zords.

jivjov posted:

Cole could probably kill a roommate in a different house with that thing

I feel so guilty for finding jokes like this hilarious.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 21, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I know violence isn't your first choice, Cole.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

I feel so guilty for finding jokes like this hilarious.

Saaaaaame. I don't condone these jokes, but I won't stop laughing.

I didn't really like the zords this season either, felt like it devalued the whole "new zord upgrade" stuff, and I couldn't keep track of all the zords for some reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's not like past shows put much meaning into a new zord showing up.

There'd be some talk about a character puttering in a lab or yet another ancient thingamajig waiting to be discovered and then it'd pop out of the ether.

And that's if it didn't already come with a character's powers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, it's not like past shows put much meaning into a new zord showing up.

There'd be some talk about a character puttering in a lab or yet another ancient thingamajig waiting to be discovered and then it'd pop out of the ether.

And that's if it didn't already come with a character's powers.

Here's the difference

When old Zords were introduced, they were important. They were events. They changed the game a bit and were Unique. Season 3 had three different sets of Zords, and each one took up a giant chunk of screen time and were super important. Zeo used its plentiful zords excellently.

Here we have 20+ zords, most of which barely ever get used. It devalues how important they are and turns them into "Collect them All!" fodder that would feed into Sentai and Rider to this day.

Adding so many is just silly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have no problem with bunches of zords so long as it's not Bunches Of Megazords. Add-on zords to give you different finishers than the same sword slash every day are fine.

I think this goes down as my least favorite cast. At least Gaoranger has the Black & Blue Bromance.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wild Force has a Giraffe Zord which is arguably one of the best Zords in the series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It didn't feel to me like they were "game changers", though. At best it was matched against the arrival of a new super special bad guy who either underwent villain decay immediately after or died. And then the zords went to being treated like a standard part of the arsenal.

The carriers' massive size especially falls victim to this. There's never any real sense of power and impact for their size, until like, the base transforming in SPD. For at least half of its existence the zords are the least interesting part of Power Rangers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Maan, forever red and reinforcements are gonna be on at like 2 am or something, aren't they?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Good news for me, I don't miss the premier of ninja storm.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Here's the difference

When old Zords were introduced, they were important. They were events. They changed the game a bit and were Unique. Season 3 had three different sets of Zords, and each one took up a giant chunk of screen time and were super important. Zeo used its plentiful zords excellently.

Here we have 20+ zords, most of which barely ever get used. It devalues how important they are and turns them into "Collect them All!" fodder that would feed into Sentai and Rider to this day.

Adding so many is just silly.

Gokaiger and Go-Busters did a 180 on that at least in their own way (and it's part of why they're good seasons in a small way). Gokaiger went back to upgrades being events though they were largely just more finishers. All of the energy towards collectibles went into the Ranger Keys (which has basically become a license to print collectibles money by Toei now) instead. For Go-Busters, they largely just dropped the collectible thing and is probably the big reason why it was financially unsuccessful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

The carriers' massive size especially falls victim to this. There's never any real sense of power and impact for their size, until like, the base transforming in SPD. For at least half of its existence the zords are the least interesting part of Power Rangers.

You're telling me you don't appreciate Artillatron from Turbo? The zord whose only purpose in existence is to pass the Rescue Megazord its finisher? :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

You're telling me you don't appreciate Artillatron from Turbo? The zord whose only purpose in existence is to pass the Rescue Megazord its finisher? :v:

Argh

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Going from the TIme Force finale to this is really quite shocking, like it's just...really bad?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PurplieNurplie posted:

Going from the TIme Force finale to this is really quite shocking, like it's just...really bad?

judd lynn left

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Great, I spend my day at work and I managed to miss all of time force. screw this, im hitting netflix. wild force is horseshit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also this was The Transition Season

This is the one where Disney owned the brand and were getting things ready to move everyone over to Kiwi Country. So not a lot of care was put into the actual, you know, story.

Add that to the increased Bandai presence through way more toys to shill, including that loving motorcycle, and there you have it. Wild Force.

Not unlike Samurai as it turns out.