Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Wasn't there talk of a sub-chip being in the game that would let you parry like in Revengeance, or did I imagine that? Is that a thing that's in the game?

counter is parry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Even with speed salve and capped speed chips I'm not going anywhere near as fast as the guys in these videos, is there something I'm missing for this?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Nuebot posted:

How do you do this race bullshit. No matter how fast I go he always gets there like a second before I do.

Hit him with the slow pod program at the beginning of the race, and in the final race get your best overclock chip, run down the path toward the enemies, perfect dodge, then while time is slowed book it to the finish.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

InnercityGriot posted:

Hit him with the slow pod program at the beginning of the race, and in the final race get your best overclock chip, run down the path toward the enemies, perfect dodge, then while time is slowed book it to the finish.

I don't have either of these things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait... Overclock doesn't slow time for the player character? That explains how it would be useful...

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Overclock replicates the effects of Bayonetta's Witch Time. It's very useful when you can get it, but I wasn't able to get it until relatively late.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Snak posted:

Wait... Overclock doesn't slow time for the player character? That explains how it would be useful...

Overclock = Bayonetta
Counter = Revengence
Pod Wire = DMC4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the heck is a pod wire? I want a pod wire, whatever it is.

I just re-unlocked fast travel in route B, so maybe i'm just not far enough.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nuebot posted:

I don't have either of these things.

Then go get em.

Anyway I beat speedstar with just maxed movespeed (+8 or 20%) and some evade boosts, no salves or pod powers or slow-mo dodge.

Took the left path around, avoided anything that could slow or trip, cut corners as close as possible.

When jumping off the first building I dodged partway down, held jump for a pod float for a second then another dodge. There's probably a better way to do that but the point is you want to hit the ground running.

It was a photo finish, like tenth of a second but it can be done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alright I need someone to tell where these desert relics are and since I'm here can I find the parade robots here?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

a kitten posted:

What the heck is a pod wire? I want a pod wire, whatever it is.

I just re-unlocked fast travel in route B, so maybe i'm just not far enough.

It's a sidequest that you should actually have access to now.

the large multi-level building that you arrived in the city on top of/climbed up to get to the flight units during the goliath attack. It's on the third or fourth floor, take the stairs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe if you all could stop acting like everyone​ had a ps3 and played every platinum game before this, it would seem a lot less condiscending.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mgr is on pc, bayonetta is on 360 and wii u, and dmc4 is on xbox and pc. you don't need a ps3 to play those games and they're pretty well known; it's a safe assumption to make

I don't think it's condescending, especially not in a thread about a game developed by platinum

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The message that I have set to be left when I die is "[Caim] [never stopped smiling] [at a blood-soaked battlefield]"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Route B: DO YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE? HACKING.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

mgr is on pc, bayonetta is on 360 and wii u, and dmc4 is on xbox and pc. you don't need a ps3 to play those games and they're pretty well known; it's a safe assumption to make

I keep forgetting that Bayonetta made it to 360. I really need to pick it up.

More questions:

So, is the difference between weapons of the same class mainly cosmetic? Or are the effects listed really important?

What is "robot discount"? All the machine weapons have it...

Does Phoenix Sword's atk speed up make for the fact that it does 100 less damage than Beastlord?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Anyone ever notice that the two pods are 042 and 153? Zero, one, two, three, four, five.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there 3 pods?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

select a weapon and hit details to see what the effects do. the ones you unlock at lvl 4 can make a huge difference

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Aren't there 3 pods?

there are 3 pod types for attacking but he's referring to the pods that 2b and 9s own. 2b's is 042 (the guy voiced pod) and 9s' is 153 (the girl pod)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/UltimaBlues/status/843906346273689601

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Snak posted:

I keep forgetting that Bayonetta made it to 360. I really need to pick it up.

More questions:

So, is the difference between weapons of the same class mainly cosmetic? Or are the effects listed really important?

What is "robot discount"? All the machine weapons have it...

Does Phoenix Sword's atk speed up make for the fact that it does 100 less damage than Beastlord?

besides damage numbers and stuff, mostly yeah I think. Although the bonuses do actually get pretty important. Like there's some that do crazy special attacks, there's a spear that will randomly convert a hit enemy to fight for you, and so on.

the discounts (there's another weapon with a yorha discount or something) mean you get, well, a discount at the appropriate vendors. So machine vendors cost less.

I'm... not sure. My guess is it depends on the situation, but mostly it doesn't matter? If you're on normal you shouldn't need to worry about min-maxing. Otherwise, it's like... does the speed boost allow you get an attack off that you otherwise wouldn't have? Does this happen often enough to make up for doing less damage? Impossible to say. Personally the attack speed boost didn't seem that noticeable to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

select a weapon and hit details to see what the effects do. the ones you unlock at lvl 4 can make a huge difference

Ah, you have to go to the Weapons % option to see that. I assume the robot discount is only while equipped?

Edit: this game is so Japanese, I keep trying to use O to confirm in menus...

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 21, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah it's while equipped. it's substantial too, like 30% off

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tarezax posted:

Gold enemies need to be hacked to damage them appreciably.

Expanding on this, gold enemies are special challenges. Killing one gold set will cause another set to appear elsewhere in the world and the order of their appearance follows the mission critical path of Route B. Defeating each set nets large amounts of XP plus a high chance of high level weapon upgrade mats. Plus you get some weird chronology breaking dialogue that probably doesn't actually mean anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I actually didn't know that about the gold enemies; that's pretty cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Guys this game is so good. I just beat Horizon and I was on such a feels gaming kick that I did Ending E again but chickened out at the end instead of nuking my save :negative:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ok route C is different

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man when you're just doing the mission critical path things go a lot quicker, huh? Pretty close to beating Route B, kind of excited to get into Route C since I hear that is when things go full Taro Yoko. Will probably clean up some outstanding sidequests before doing so, even though I know I could come back and do them later.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Route C is quite easily one of my favorite portions of any video game ever. Starts strong, runs strong, ends even stronger.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Vermain posted:

Route C is quite easily one of my favorite portions of any video game ever. Starts strong, runs strong, ends even stronger.

I was about to say exactly this. Route A and B are about as good as most other "good" videogames, but C is beyond even that. I basically played the whole thing through to full completion in one sitting it was so good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So far, B is a lot better than A.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Good lord. Just finished route C. Was already loving this game but that whole route really felt like exactly what I wanted when I heard the initial pitch of Platinum does Taro Yoko.

What a good loving game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The aesthetic of this game reminds me so much of some old games like Super Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda: OOT. The way things feel so... sparse, but not empty. The buildings in city ruins feel incredibly ominous to me, almost oppressive. And then later in the desert it was like WHOAH.

Those games are just a few of a whole lot of totally different games that I feel like this game has drawn from artistically.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game definitely has a unique aesthetic. Like, even though they stress very clearly that this takes place on Earth I can't fully reconcile that even when they mention actual place names

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The buildings in the city ruins do a good job of looming over you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ok, so what stuff should I generally be holding on to and what should I be selling at vendors? Ores seem to be worth a pretty penny but don't want to screw myself over for later on.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Augus posted:

Ok, so what stuff should I generally be holding on to and what should I be selling at vendors? Ores seem to be worth a pretty penny but don't want to screw myself over for later on.

Sell basically everything that says you can sell for money.

Also, Sell Chips that you are never going to use.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

keep in mind that you can combine like chips into higher tier versions, so don't sell anything like that if you like what it does

only sell things that say they sell for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OneDeadman posted:

Sell basically everything that says you can sell for money.

Also, Sell Chips that you are never going to use.

Manatee Cannon posted:

keep in mind that you can combine like chips into higher tier versions, so don't sell anything like that if you like what it does

only sell things that say they sell for money

gotcha, simple enough