Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My favourite part of Q&A is when the right wing person from the audience ask their dumb gotcha question with a grin on their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't realise Q and A still had viewership due to it being interminable trash.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Watching ABC 24 during lunch. Good news racism is back on. Now we can do racist cartoons and be all "nah it was just a joke".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They should do a Q&A with Gabe Newell, and all the questions will be about Half Life 3.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I agree with Lionhat I'm so confused.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
18c doesn't stand a chance against these dank memes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The most surprising thing is that you can access Liveleak on government networks. What the actual gently caress is that about?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

So are they not even going to try to convince Xenaphon or what?

What is the point of any of this.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/844007151211171840

:stare:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

So... they don't have the numbers?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/GrahamPerrettMP/status/843944413269172224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

18D also clarifies it to the point that it's meaningless. Gotta whistle out to them dogs though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Backpfeifengesicht is the watch word

https://twitter.com/mearesy/status/844011511605485568

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It's easy to lose sight of the little things when such matters of importance as 18c are being discussed but it should be noted that the NSW Transport Minister thinks apps will replace public transport in the next decade.

The AFR posted:

NSW Transport and Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance has claimed advances in technology, such as autonomous vehicles and artificial intelligence, will mean governments will soon cease to provide commuter transport services.

The Minister said on-demand services, and big data powered private enterprises would mean the abolition of time-tabled services and the end of government-supplied vehicles within the next 10-15 years.

Mr Constance was talking to The Australian Financial Review to update his plans for NSW to become recognised as a global leader in technology-led transport solutions, which he showcased last year with a high-profile conference featuring Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

In a future vision, which will cause many to question logistical feasibility, he said recently changed regulations, making it easier for point to point transport providers like Uber to thrive in NSW, would soon be augmented by autonomous vehicles, intelligent big data systems and privately run on-demand buses and trains.

"They will be all private. In 10 to 15 years' time government will not be in the provision of transport services, it will be all on demand, private sector driven, underpinned by innovation in technology," the Minister said.

"Already every new train that we are bringing online now, whether it is the Metro train or light rail, are all private sector partnerships."

The NSW government is already in the market for delivery of on-demand buses, which can be booked for vehicles with fewer than 12 passengers, and Mr Constance said he expected commuters, particularly in inner city areas, to be using subscription, automated vehicles within 10 years.

Mr Constance said an earlier move to open up transport data to private developers via APIs meant it was receiving many innovative pitches, which would change the way people looked to commute in the near future.

He has previously exchanged barbs with the government-owned State Transit Authority (STA), which provides some of the state's buses, claiming private operators provide better, more reliable services.

This has led to the Rail, Tram and Bus Union accusing the government of working to totally privatise public transport, something the Minister now appears to be confirming.

"There is always going to be the responsibility of government to deliver community safety in and around transport, and that will become a role of compliance and increasingly contract management may underpin it," Mr Constance said.

Behind much of Mr Constance's plans is an increased use of so-called big data analytics to take advantage of the huge volume of information related to transport in order to tailor services and provide real time information to commuters.

Transport For New South Wales has worked with tech giants including US firm Salesforce which has provided it with a platform to capture all customer feedback in real time across its transport services from online and mobile apps.

The Minister said it was now able to respond much more effectively to customer complaints about network performance, and make better informed plans for future changes.

Free Wi-Fi for all

Mr Constance also said he expected commuters to have access to free Wi-Fi on trains in the near future, following a successful trial of ad-supported services on selected Sydney bus routes.

He said that while the trial had not yet finished, it was likely to be rolled out across the bus and rail network in future.

"Into the future I expect this to be available on trains as well [because] mobile blackspots alongside train lines is something Canberra really needs to rectify," Mr Constance said.

"We are running the bus Wi-Fi trials through the STA at the moment and it is not costing the tax payer anything because we are dealing with a company where they are utilising the provision of free Wi-Fi services in exchange for advertising space."

Please note that anytime someone says 'big data' they are talking right out of their arse. In fact it is quite possible that anyone who seriously talks about big data to be entirely composed of arse.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FPotM

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fart

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bogan King posted:

It's easy to lose sight of the little things when such matters of importance as 18c are being discussed but it should be noted that the NSW Transport Minister thinks apps will replace public transport in the next decade.

Please note that anytime someone says 'big data' they are talking right out of their arse. In fact it is quite possible that anyone who seriously talks about big data to be entirely composed of arse.

"What about poor people who rely on public transport?"

"Who gives a poo poo? BIG DATAAAAAAAAAA!"

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"What about poor people who rely on public transport?"

"Who gives a poo poo? BIG DATAAAAAAAAAA!"

I want to know how they plan to safeguard the transport history data of the entire population.

J/k they don't plan do to anything that might interfere with private profits innovation

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Urcher posted:

I want to know how they plan to safeguard the transport history data of the entire population.

J/k they don't plan do to anything that might interfere with private profits innovation

Of course they'll store it all on IBM Cloud Servers, and if it gets hacked, so what? If you weren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide!

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Of course they'll store it all on IBM Cloud Servers, and if it gets hacked, so what? If you weren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide!

I'm only sightly concerned about "hackers". The bigger problem is the companies with the data using it for shady purposes like Uber's god view and walks of glory, selling the data to affiliates, and not requiring due process before giving data to law enforcement.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

is there a single thing turnbull championed before he became leader which he has not caved to the right on

one single thing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

I'm only sightly concerned about "hackers". The bigger problem is the companies with the data using it for shady purposes like Uber's god view and walks of glory, selling the data to affiliates, and not requiring due process before giving data to law enforcement.

What is Uber's God view? I only take transport to my house from getting drunk/high so I don't understand the wider implications and bows that can be drawn.

e: Outside of them watching you go to Marxism 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/JuliaGillard/status/844005135948771328

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

What is Uber's God view? I only take transport to my house from getting drunk/high so I don't understand the wider implications and bows that can be drawn.

Uber has used their data to track journalists who have been critical of them and stalk a bunch of women. Hackers finding out my mums maiden name is way less creepy than that poo poo.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

JBP posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/10/03/god-view-uber-allegedly-stalked-users-for-party-goers-viewing-pleasure/#38d1575c3141

Uber employees can get the real time location of everyone using uber (possibly just with the app installed, not necessarily currently in an Uber vehicle). Sometimes they do it to see why people are running late for a meeting. Sometimes they do it at parties to show off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What did Uber do to them once they tracked them?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

JBP posted:

What did Uber do to them once they tracked them?

Gave their location out to all the party goers.

Uber employees also use it to stalk their exes. http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...dbe2a90cfe56c66

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Anyway fears of an Uber future could be unfounded as they could be going under. Their CEO just jumped ship.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

Gave their location out to all the party goers.

Uber employees also use it to stalk their exes. http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...dbe2a90cfe56c66

Ah well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/JamesMcGrathLNP/posts/1287467034674621

Sounds reasonable until he sounds like a four year old in the last line.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Ora Tzo posted:

Anyway fears of an Uber future could be unfounded as they could be going under. Their CEO just jumped ship.

It was their president and their head of maps, the CEO (who is the shithead) is still their. The other two jumped ship because the culture at Uber is so toxic they couldn't work there anymore and didn't think it could be fixed.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Oh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

It was their president and their head of maps, the CEO (who is the shithead) is still their. The other two jumped ship because the culture at Uber is so toxic they couldn't work there anymore and didn't think it could be fixed.

The company is under siege externally as well.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I fully expect there to be mass automated uber esque transport replacing private cars but he be high as gently caress if he thinks it will ever replace public transport let alone in ten years.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Howdy D&D

Vote for my dog as best dog so the RSPCA and the Animal Shelter I got him in gets goon money.

Also Rusty is a good dog.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

"Speak for yourself"

Ludlam is that you :swoon:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hiddenmovement posted:

I fully expect there to be mass automated uber esque transport replacing private cars but he be high as gently caress if he thinks it will ever replace public transport let alone in ten years.

When cars drive themselves and I am not responsible for them in any way, I will be high 24/7. The future is now for the Minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

Howdy D&D

Vote for my dog as best dog so the RSPCA and the Animal Shelter I got him in gets goon money.

Also Rusty is a good dog.

Deffo voting for retrogame dogge.

• Locked thread