Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Always pull five or you're wasting orbs. Every hero is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Every hero is good.

Not really

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The tier list doesn't go lower than C. C is a passing grade!

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Always pull five or you're wasting orbs. Every hero is good.

In an infinite universe sure. In the world we live in where I have more than one Takumi, I don't need to get a Rebecca.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

There are definitely a couple of stinkers in the pool, but I'd argue 5 pulls are the way to go. Pulling good units for inheritance is almost as important as pulling good base units.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

akulanization posted:

If that doesn't happen then you cannot distinguish a difference between the rate not resetting because none of the orbs had a 5* vs none of the orbs you picked having a 5*.

Do you have a mage, preferably red or blue? The infantry one should be fairly easy since you can bring dancers, mages, and even healers if you need them.

Nino is my best mage. Trouble with her is she can't kill fast reds. And neither can Sharena apparently. I wonder if it'd be worth it to level up my 4* Oboro or something. Somebody who could at least tank a hit to save her life.

Elyv posted:

Some thoughts and questions on the training training tower quests:

I'm at 8/15 on the armor quest with a level 40 5 star Effie, a level 37 4 star Draug, and level 29 and level 3 3 Star Gwendolyns. All I do is wait for the tower to show me a 3 unit team of exclusively blue melee, reds, and healers and let Effie solo that; even Draug doesn't really do much other than provide Ward Armor.

I'm doing something similar with fliers (10/15), not as extreme because my 5 star Minerva can't really solo maps, but her supporting cast of 4 star Camilla, Sheena, and Cordelia is able to actually pitch in, unlike the crap Effie has to carry, so they can do more difficult maps. Basically, if you're having trouble with these quests, cherrypick hard.

However, I just have no idea what to do with cavalry. I have no 5 star to carry me there and every time I've tried to use the same technique with my team of 4 stars they've been absolutely destroyed. Do I have to, like, wait to see 3 red units and then send in 4 mounted blues? Is there any other way of doing it short of 5 starring one of these mediocre cavalry (which is probably not worth it)?

Do you think the armor one would work with a 4* Effie? I have a 4* but not nearly enough feathers to blow on her. I'd sooner promote my second Nino or even Anna or Sharena over her.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just getting into this game. I have like 140 orbs just sitting around after castle upgrades. Is it worth it to do a whole bunch of summons so I can level up easy during the 1.5x xp event or better to wait until a focus list with better heroes?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Clarste posted:

Well, maybe I'm wrong but I remember seeing it happen like that. My assumption was that no one else noticed because they don't bother checking their rates between each and every pull.

Are you sure you didn't check a different banner? The bonus rates follow the banner unfortunately.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Getting close to promoting another unit to 5* and need some opinions on my options:

A. Promote 4* Eirika to 5* so she can be even better friends with my 4* Nino, who will get bumped to 5* next.
B. See A, but Nino first, then Eirika.

Leaning towards A, because I feel like giving Eirika the ability to double-buff Nino via Sieglinde, as well as increase her general combat viability is a bigger power increase than just bumping Nino to 5*; I mean Nino at 4* is doing well enough on my sub-optimal team of Lyn/Nino/Olivia/X as it is.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

eggrolled posted:

Getting close to promoting another unit to 5* and need some opinions on my options:

A. Promote 4* Eirika to 5* so she can be even better friends with my 4* Nino, who will get bumped to 5* next.
B. See A, but Nino first, then Eirika.

Leaning towards A, because I feel like giving Eirika the ability to double-buff Nino via Sieglinde, as well as increase her general combat viability is a bigger power increase than just bumping Nino to 5*; I mean Nino at 4* is doing well enough on my sub-optimal team of Lyn/Nino/Olivia/X as it is.

You have access to Hone atk on this team already with Olivia, so the buff from Sieglinde is nice to have but not a game changer (these buffs don't stack).
I would personally promote Nino first because the added damage/spd of a 5* weapon and stats is more significant on the character who is actually killing most of the enemies

PS: Consider taking the time to promote your Sharena as she is another excellent buffer who would balance your team color wise

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 21, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Silver Falcon posted:

Nino is my best mage. Trouble with her is she can't kill fast reds. And neither can Sharena apparently. I wonder if it'd be worth it to level up my 4* Oboro or something. Somebody who could at least tank a hit to save her life.

I just gave someone Swordbreaker to deal with fast reds. Now, fast reds with Swordbreaker are another matter entirely.

Rascyc posted:

Are you sure you didn't check a different banner? The bonus rates follow the banner unfortunately.

At this point I'm guessing that I was just seeing things. Or maybe I saw it jump to 4.0 and was only looking at the rightmost digit, or something stupid like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Do you think the armor one would work with a 4* Effie? I have a 4* but not nearly enough feathers to blow on her. I'd sooner promote my second Nino or even Anna or Sharena over her.

If you're thinking of levelling up another lance user consider using those feathers on Sharena instead. Because my 5 star Sharena has had absolutely no problems with any reds. Unless she already is 5 stars and you're just facing some seriously buffed up units or something.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Just getting into this game. I have like 140 orbs just sitting around after castle upgrades. Is it worth it to do a whole bunch of summons so I can level up easy during the 1.5x xp event or better to wait until a focus list with better heroes?

I really feel like you should wait because this banner is genuinely awful. Healers are the absolute last thing you want to roll for 5* and there's two of them. None of the other four are really top tier either.

Leveling up 5* is not that tough at all compared to rolling actual good characters.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Enemy tenth stratum training tower NPCs appear to me to me to be level 40 5 star units with extra abilities swapped onto them, so I don't think a 4 star Effie could solo a blue. If you see like, sword sword healer you might be able to pull it off, but it's going to be hard to get 15 of those, even with Light's Blessing.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

secret volcano lair posted:

You have access to Hone atk on this team already with Olivia, so the buff from Sieglinde is nice to have but not a game changer (these buffs don't stack).
I would personally promote Nino first because the added damage/spd of a 5* weapon and stats is more significant on the character who is actually killing most of the enemies

PS: Consider taking the time to promote your Sharena as she is another excellent buffer who would balance your team color wise

Whoops, thanks for pointing out Sieglinde's buff wouldn't stack with Hone Atk.

I had considered Sharena as well, but I've been running a 5* Effie as my Blue when I need one, so there's less of a sense of urgency to promote Sharena from 4* -> 5*. She's definitely getting 5* at some point though, because yeah, she would make Nino destroy stuff even more.

It looks like Nino wins this round of promotion, though. Thanks!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well, in lieu of any better ideas, looks like Anna is getting 5*'d. I have no Nino (and judging from the upcoming banners, won't for a long time), Azura and Nowi obsolete any possible need to promote Sharena, Erika and Sanaki do their red thing pretty well, and 4* Wrys chugs along as my arena healer just fine.

Also, I have no idea where to start with this inheritance madness beyond "grind hinata, stuff his fury into anna, profit".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Well, in lieu of any better ideas, looks like Anna is getting 5*'d. I have no Nino (and judging from the upcoming banners, won't for a long time), Azura and Nowi obsolete any possible need to promote Sharena, Erika and Sanaki do their red thing pretty well, and 4* Wrys chugs along as my arena healer just fine.

Also, I have no idea where to start with this inheritance madness beyond "grind hinata, stuff his fury into anna, profit".

You don't need to grind Hinata. Skills can be inherited without needing to be unlocked first.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Nino can be pulled at 3* and 4* so just look out for green pulls if you want her.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You don't need to grind Hinata. Skills can be inherited without needing to be unlocked first.

You need to grind his lovely 3 star rear end to 20 so you can promote him to 4 stars for fury 3.

2k feathers and a pile of stamina for each one sucks so I really hope it's worth it. Do the +3 stats count for nino's tome?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 21, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's not even 4*, he's 3. Or is that not an issue either?

See, this is why I've avoided this mechanic so far, I have a hard time even wrapping my mind around the basic concepts it works on.

EDIT: Yes, see, thank you, that's what I thought.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They probably mean grind him to 4*

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Shortest Path posted:

Do the +3 stats count for nino's tome?

No, they do not.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I just spend crystals on stuff i'm intending to feed. Grinding levels is actually important on inherit bases for the SPs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What happens when someone with desperation runs into someone with vantage?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rascyc posted:

What happens when someone with desperation runs into someone with vantage?

Vantage dude counters first.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

In regards to Anna, after Fury, invest in Ardent Sacrifice. I'd even consider getting it after Fury 2 but before Fury 3. She really wants to control her own HP and the faux-healing has saved my rear end a handful of times. After that, Glimmer is good because Astra rarely procs. Also, Threaten Defense might be a long-term goal to replace her res buffs, because Vantage-baiting someone with lowered Def is a good idea.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm thinking of setting up my Ninian with Lightning Breath and Bowbreaker (for Takumi) as well as Triangle Adept (for Swordlords). Is this a good idea or a terrible idea?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
what the heck I heard drag back was good on Eirika so I get ready to sacrifice a Donnel when I notice she only had a C skill slot and she already naturally has drag back and I learned it but never equipped it??? I'm not really seeing why it's good on her though. Am I confusing it with draw back?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drag Back is the one Eirika and Donnel get, it pulls the enemy back after an attack.

Draw Back is the command skill that lets you move another ally back, it's learned by Fae, Nino, and Sully.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Drag Back is the one Eirika and Donnel get, it pulls the enemy back after an attack.

Draw Back is the command skill that lets you move another ally back, it's learned by Fae, Nino, and Sully.

Yes I understand that they're 2 different skills, but why would drag back be good for her? Is it some weird pivot fuckery where I pivot over a unit from the side to pull them down? I can see why draw back would be good because I can snipe someone with Nino then move her back to safety but I'm just not seeing the merit of drag back (I am bad at this game)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Yes I understand that they're 2 different skills, but why would drag back be good for her? Is it some weird pivot fuckery where I pivot over a unit from the side to pull them down? I can see why draw back would be good because I can snipe someone with Nino then move her back to safety but I'm just not seeing the merit of drag back (I am bad at this game)

You can pull enemies to Nino so she can kill them safely

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

You can pull enemies to Nino so she can kill them safely

But if it's a melee unit, that means Eirika has to eat a counterattack and that puts me at risk of losing a unit on a later turn. I've just been using Olivia to get an extra Nino attack/retreat. I guess I can try it out since I have like 25 dueling crests anyway and if it works, I can replace Olivia with someone else with a higher BST to cover my weaknesses.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

The AI is pretty good at using Drag Back and it makes it a pest to take-on but the only utility I consistently used Drag Back for with Eirika is to retreat after KOing an enemy. Eirika will retreat a square regardless of their being someone to drag back or not, which is pretty helpful considering how squishy she is. Treat it like a hit-and-run. Also, pulling back people you can't finish off for a mage to kill is useful if you can get the positioning right. That being said, I did use past tense. I've since replaced it with Rally Defense to further super-power Nino and Ursula.

Speaking of, I already have a great core-group, so I decided to sacrifice an Odin and 20k feathers for a 5-star Ursula with Blarblade and Moonbow. She's not as powerful as my Nino is, but having a blue-coloured blade spell that can cover 3 squares is incredible. Forest tiles aren't that much of an obstacle given she can fire over them. It almost feels like I'm cheating here. It's like Eirika just sits there with a short-range thermo-nuke button on her left, and a long range mini-nuke on her right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

But if it's a melee unit, that means Eirika has to eat a counterattack and that puts me at risk of losing a unit on a later turn. I've just been using Olivia to get an extra Nino attack/retreat. I guess I can try it out since I have like 25 dueling crests anyway and if it works, I can replace Olivia with someone else with a higher BST to cover my weaknesses.

You want both a buffer and a Dancer for optimal Nino/Tharja teams anyway. Eirika has decent bulk so she can take the hit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I'm thinking of setting up my Ninian with Lightning Breath and Bowbreaker (for Takumi) as well as Triangle Adept (for Swordlords). Is this a good idea or a terrible idea?
Fury ends up being better than triangle adept IMO unless​ you can keep Ninian permanently buffed with speed some other way. The thing about Ninian is her speed allows her to avoid getting doubled by a lot until other units start inheriting fury themselves so you need fury yourself to keep up.

Lightning Breath is a cool idea IMO. Haven't tried it myself.

Bowbreaker is interesting. If you are using lightning breath+ on top of fury 3 then a neutral Ninian will just barely kill a neutral Takumio death with no outside buffs. A +Res Takumi would survive, or any sort of res buff. You could offset a res buff with your own atk buff or nature ofc.

If you are just gonna use the lower tier lightning breath then don't bother with bowbreaker, you will not ohko a Takumi so then what's the point really?

I am going fury/escape route on my Ninian fwiw. I'd like to slap lightning breath on her one day but SP is a bitch.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

The AI is pretty good at using Drag Back and it makes it a pest to take-on but the only utility I consistently used Drag Back for with Eirika is to retreat after KOing an enemy. Eirika will retreat a square regardless of their being someone to drag back or not, which is pretty helpful considering how squishy she is. Treat it like a hit-and-run. Also, pulling back people you can't finish off for a mage to kill is useful if you can get the positioning right.

I've been considering putting Drag Back on Minerva for exactly this reason, because she hits like a freight train but dies if anyone looks at her crosseyed.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

You want both a buffer and a Dancer for optimal Nino/Tharja teams anyway. Eirika has decent bulk so she can take the hit.

Oh that's good because I thought having -Atk/+Def IV for Eirika was a bad thing but I guess it's good if her purpose is to tank and buff. Would HP +5 be a good choice of an A skill to further increase her tankiness then? Are those specials that decrease damage taken from adjacent of enemies 2 spaces away good for her too?

My proposed arena team is Eirika, Sharena, Nino, and Olivia.

Nino is 5* with Fury 3 and Desperation 2 until I get enough SP for the final rank. She's my workhorse.
Olivia is 4* with Triangle Adept 2 and Armorslayer available but without enough SP to learn it. She's a buffer/dancer and back-up Hector contingency if I can even scrape together enough SP for armorslayer.
Sharena is 5* with 1370 SP and I have no idea what to put on her. I was thinking Fury but I've run out of Hinatas.
Eirika is 5* and I was using her as a buffer and... not much else. My other choices for a strong red were a +HP/-Def Roy, -Atk/+Spd Ogma, Neutral Marth, and 2 Lilinas with bad IVs (either -Atk or -Spd) so I just used her instead because she seemed like the best fit. I have a Camilla, Klein, and Effie at 5*, but they're all -Atk and a Takumi but Robins are everywhere and I'm just anticipating even more this week with more skills meant to counter him even harder.

Since I have a better idea of what Eirika is supposed to do now, my main problem is what to give Sharena. The aforementioned -Atk/+Spd Klein (come on what the heck is this) would be able to give her Quick Riposte 3 and Deathblow 3... is this a good idea?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Sharena would do well with Lancebreaker, but you can currently only get it from a 5* Arthur or a 4* Narcian. Desperation would be better for her because she has the speed to double with it and the bulk to take enough of a hit to activate it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Sharena would do well with Lancebreaker, but you can currently only get it from a 5* Arthur or a 4* Narcian. Desperation would be better for her because she has the speed to double with it and the bulk to take enough of a hit to activate it.

Unfortunately, I only had one Shanna and she was donated to help Nino do her best! Don't have any Karels either.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Use quick riposte on Sharena imo so you can actually double Lucina, the most popular red in the game. Desperation doesn't really help much.

I actually really regret desperation on my Ryoma. I wish I thought that one through a little more. I picked it to help with mirrors and maybe kill the odd blue here and there but it turned out the blues I cared about had too much def anyway and the reds I care about have enough speed to keep up rip

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 21, 2017