Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LupusAter posted:

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

Oh my gosh it's adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly for every poorly handled idea in uranium i could probably post a version from sage that actually does it well. like that dumb unicorn in uranium and its sonic-esque evolutions.

sage, for example, has:

koblin, a dark type pokemon that has two different evolutions, one of them being:

koberus, a dark/fire pokemon that is what koblin evolves into if it's outside at the time, or:

kobalt, a dark/steel pokemon which is the evolution if koblin is indoors when it happens

all 3 of these are loosely based on a mythical creature and the folklore surrounding it, the kobold. this line also happens to be one of my favorite overall designs in general, even when put against official pokemon.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'd share a blunt with Koblin.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kobalt is a solid Pokemon name pun.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

honestly for every poorly handled idea in uranium i could probably post a version from sage that actually does it well. like that dumb unicorn in uranium and its sonic-esque evolutions.

sage, for example, has:

koblin, a dark type pokemon that has two different evolutions, one of them being:

This is a real rear end pokemans as well. Someone better have gotten a job from Sage goddamn

the evolutions are kind of bad

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sage does a good job of mimicking the official pokemon art

this is not something that even most of the better uranium designs has managed, so good on sage for having decent artists

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

Herr Tog posted:

This is a real rear end pokemans as well. Someone better have gotten a job from Sage goddamn

the evolutions are kind of bad

Alrighty then, let's look at the Kertruffle line:

At level 30, it can evolve into one of three things depending on its status condition. Mosshroom if asleep:

Lumishroom if paralyzed:

Perishroom if fainted (which, while the concept is edgey, looks freaking hilarious):

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Those are some good shrooms.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CoffeeAvenger posted:

Perishroom if fainted (which, while the concept is edgey, looks freaking hilarious):

:3: the pokemon.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
The doofy face on the lower body is cute to start with and the OH NO mushroom heads seal the deal.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the best part about artifish, and i know we've moved past artifish, is that it's not actually even a real fish. it's normal-type. also, it is hug-type

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alopex posted:

The doofy face on the lower body is cute to start with and the OH NO mushroom heads seal the deal.

also since mushrooms kinda already have the whole 'death' thing commonly linked to them for multiple reasons the design is actually sorta funny

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh my god the one with the mushtache is amazing

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeAvenger posted:

Alrighty then, let's look at the Kertruffle line:

At level 30, it can evolve into one of three things depending on its status condition. Mosshroom if asleep:

Lumishroom if paralyzed:

These conditions are too complex, just make them stones but in regards to how good they look? Very good but not real rear end pokemans The starter reminds me of parasect too much. Give it the mustache and then we will talk

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think they can get away with some of their pokemon looking like official ones since Sage's pokedex is completely original and does not rely on official pokemon at all. Hell, the official pokedex has at least three different grass/something mushrooms across all seven generations.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

From what I've seen, Sage does some really weird stuff with it's evolutions. Like, branching evols determined by Ice Heal or Burn Heal. It's absurd, but the context and design make it understandable why they evolve that way. From a gameplay perspective, it is very awkward though. But again, this is one of those things that a canon game would never touch, so I'm pretty okay with a fanhack giving it a try.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FPzero posted:

I think they can get away with some of their pokemon looking like official ones since Sage's pokedex is completely original and does not rely on official pokemon at all. Hell, the official pokedex has at least three different grass/something mushrooms across all seven generations.

Four. Every odd numbered gen gets a new 'shroom 'mon. Always a grass type, and always a two stage evolution.

They've been pretty good about making each of them unique and stand out compared to the others though.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Arcade Rabbit posted:

From what I've seen, Sage does some really weird stuff with it's evolutions. Like, branching evols determined by Ice Heal or Burn Heal. It's absurd, but the context and design make it understandable why they evolve that way. From a gameplay perspective, it is very awkward though. But again, this is one of those things that a canon game would never touch, so I'm pretty okay with a fanhack giving it a try.

I agree. The unique take on some evolutions actually makes it interesting and adds more character to each pokemon design.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I think weird evolution conditions would work if the game hints at it well enough. Like, even just having an NPC saying something like, "Hey I heard that strong Kertruffles evolve into different pokemon depending on its status effect, but I can't test it out because I haven't caught one!" would go a long way to helping that sort of confusion ingame. In practice I imagine most people will probably just have the wiki open, but you always want to try and make the game stand on its own.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anything's better than trade evos. :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FPzero posted:

I think weird evolution conditions would work if the game hints at it well enough. Like, even just having an NPC saying something like, "Hey I heard that strong Kertruffles evolve into different pokemon depending on its status effect, but I can't test it out because I haven't caught one!" would go a long way to helping that sort of confusion ingame. In practice I imagine most people will probably just have the wiki open, but you always want to try and make the game stand on its own.

I mean we have an official pokemon that evolves by turning your DS upside down, so status effect and indoor/outdoor isn't too much of a stretch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I mean we have an official pokemon that evolves by turning your DS upside down, so status effect and indoor/outdoor isn't too much of a stretch.

Or Pancham evolving only if it levels up with a Dark type in the party. Weird level up conditions are fine so long as they're hinted at in some fashion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i'm not sure how much of sage is actually made so far, so it's hard to say whether or not it'll give adequate hints for alternate evolution methods

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Genocyber posted:

Or Pancham evolving only if it levels up with a Dark type in the party. Weird level up conditions are fine so long as they're hinted at in some fashion.

The evolution method for inkay > malamar is not hinted at all in XY. If it weren't in an official guide it would be the stuff of crazy playground rumors, but actually true.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How soon we forget "Piloswine only evolves if it levels up knowing a move completely unsuited for both its current and its new stats, that doesn't even match one of its types"? The only possible hint is that it learns that move by move tutor, but why would you ever take it, considering it can learn Rock Slide by TM?

I love Mamoswine, but "levels up while affected by a status" is at least something you could easily stumble onto by accident.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm not all that bothered by "How could I have possibly known to do that?" evolutions because nowadays we have stuff like serebii, gamefaqs, and bulbapedia. Some games are better off by being completely self contained and being able to logically puzzle everything out on your own, but others like Dark Souls and Pokemon are basically built on the idea of a community of players sharing information, trading, and cooperating and/or competing their way through the games.

Trade evos are stupid though, and I hate them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

How soon we forget "Piloswine only evolves if it levels up knowing a move completely unsuited for both its current and its new stats, that doesn't even match one of its types"? The only possible hint is that it learns that move by move tutor, but why would you ever take it, considering it can learn Rock Slide by TM?

I love Mamoswine, but "levels up while affected by a status" is at least something you could easily stumble onto by accident.

Tangela & Yanma both learn it naturally and if you see those evolve into a cave man and a meganula, you might be able to piece together that piloswine becomes a mammoth, see ancient power, and go "well..."
The fact it only gets it by breeding, move tutor or move reminder is dumb, though. None of the other pokemon that evolve by level up with move do this.

Inkay is absurd, but I will always point at Feebas for its specific brand of ridiculousness. Putting aside the nonsense involved in catching one, to evolve it you need to nearly max out its beauty stat. Which is annoying at a base level because it doesn't immediately stand out; even if you see Milotic you're probably more likely to think it evolves like Magikarp into Gyarados. Certainly not the beauty condition you may have never looked at. But then you need to be careful about it! If you don't have high enough quality stuff, its very easy to max out the amount of pokeblocks/poffins you can feed it, resulting in a feebas that can no longer evolve. And on top of that, if the nature isn't one that enjoys the blue pokeblock/poffins, it wont get as many beauty points, meaning its possible to just not get one at all.

Both of those last things have happened to me. Its a good change that ORAS made it so you can feed them as many as you want.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Robindaybird posted:

Indoor/Outdoor isn't even really all that different from day/night, on paper. It might be harder to pull off, but it's not like it's all that weird really.

Status Effect is weird though. Or at least the fainted one is; that's not something you can stumble upon by accident.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I am all-for ridiculous evolution conditions that I can conceivably achieve without finding some random, super-specialized item tucked away somewhere in a corner of the map.

Picking up an Ice/Burn Heal from the Pokemart, or even intentionally getting statused, is a flat improvement on figuring out which pokemon this gen has a 3% chance of holding the Razor Claw I need to evolve my Sneasel. Or even finding a second device to trade with, as trade evos continue to be the absolute worst. Well, besides the specific category of trade evos that also require a rare and limited hold item you have to hunt down.

Location-based evolutions can be hit or miss depending on the game's specific situation (leveling up in Mt. Coronet, the single largest geographical feature of the region, which contains a number of viable routes and caves? Fine. Leveling up in literally the final area of the main game? Less okay), but qualifications like "outside" or "indoors" are so broad that they're effectively just time-based branching evos that are more easily controlled. They're unusual, but the basic idea behind the evolution method is perfectly sound from a gameplay perspective.

I don't see any reason to hold to the sacred cows of the main games for the sake of authenticity when there's a more player friendly alternative. Sure, unusual evolution methods can be hard to guess, but the series itself has never been particularly transparent regarding what pokemon evolve or how they do so. At least, not within the bounds of the games themselves.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I got mad and shat out this Linkite redesign in like half an hour.

Voila. Still a sad pokemon ghost, still looks like a substitute doll, still bound to its pokeball. But hopefully cuter, better designed, and less Banksy. I turned the tears into markings on its cheeks a la Yamask, to make it Look Sad without necessarily having to be actually crying for every moment of its existence, and echoed that visual element elsewhere to unify the design.

GeminiSun fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 21, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's way better, holy poo poo. The cheek markings are really smart. It also looks kinda disdainful, what with the upward look.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GeminiSun posted:

Voila. Still a sad pokemon ghost, still looks like a substitute doll, still bound to its pokeball. But hopefully cuter, better designed, and less Banksy. I turned the tears into markings on its cheeks a la Yamask, to make it Look Sad without necessarily having to be actually crying for every moment of its existence, and echoed that visual element elsewhere to unify the design.
That's cute as gently caress.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

GeminiSun posted:

I like

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's really good, and you'd think that somewhere in the process someone might have looked at the pokemon and thought 'this looks like poo poo' and maybe spent like half an hour to make it look not like poo poo

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I feel like when people want dark and edgy, what they're actually looking for is atmospheric. A heavy atmosphere can stir up emotions subtly and make you feel uneasy without resorting to cringeworthy "mature" topics or some kind of deathmetal bloodfest. I think atmospheric games are what inspire these guys, but when you don't know how to interpret that you end up with the latter two.

Atmospheric is Ocarina of Time. Dark and edgy is Shadow the Hedgehog.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GeminiSun posted:

this thread is officially a goon project now. someone please redo the starters now thank you

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

GeminiSun posted:

Yup, much better like this. The chain was always a bit too heavy-handed, even if the concept itself is fine. Yours also manages to look more unique, rather than a recycled substitute sprite.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Yep, unsurprisingly dropping one of the conceptual gimmicks and reducing the prominence of another improves the design immensely. Neat little touches like the ghost bubbles at the bottom help too, really enhance the idea of it being a sort of innocent spirit. A perfect demonstration of why pulling off any idea is 95% in the actual execution.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

CoffeeAvenger posted:

This is a cute idea, but it also annoys me, because doesn't this mean they changed the rules of how evolution works? In the official games, if a Pokemon hits a level to evolve but then faints and isn't revived by the end of the battle, doesn't it just not evolve? Removing that limitation for the sake of a single Pokemon seems bizarre. Or am I just misremembering and complaining at this silly dead mushroom for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

LAY-ZX posted:

This is a cute idea, but it also annoys me, because doesn't this mean they changed the rules of how evolution works? In the official games, if a Pokemon hits a level to evolve but then faints and isn't revived by the end of the battle, doesn't it just not evolve? Removing that limitation for the sake of a single Pokemon seems bizarre. Or am I just misremembering and complaining at this silly dead mushroom for no reason?

No pokemon evolve even if they are fainted post battle. IIRC you can eve evolve fainted pokemon with stones if they are able.

• Locked thread