Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: Square literally added a note after you beat Nier 2 for the first time that tells you to keep playing. They Missy have been scared people would think they just got a really short game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

:lol: Square literally added a note after you beat Nier 2 for the first time that tells you to keep playing. They Missy have been scared people would think they just got a really short game

It made me laugh it's like "look idiot this is one of them weird games that bucks convention just keep playing alright?"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they have stats that show way too many people stopped playing after getting the first ending in the first Nier and Drakengard 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could check trophy % to check yourself, didn't they patch in that feature back into the PS3? Or am I making that up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

You could check trophy % to check yourself, didn't they patch in that feature back into the PS3? Or am I making that up

According to the stats on psn there's like an 8% difference between ending a and b in Drakengard 3 and about a 10% difference in Nier so since people did stop after beating the game once but not that many.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to thank Sapienza for teaching me how to play Hitman: the objective is not to stealth around the level and use quicksaves/loads to get myself out of scrapes, the objective is to have fun, and if that means taking potshots at everyone I meet with bricks, and learning how to escape from all of the guards in a level....then it's working!

...So I just went back to Paris and had a ball pulling off the challenge where I shoot the target while he's on the runway, and the one where I snap the lady's neck while she's fixing her laptop. I actually did it without much in the way of savescumming and it was fun and arghh I love this game!

The scoring system is the absolute worst part of Hitman because it encourages the player to be really boring and precise. Hitman is best when you're pushing the silly world to its limit and seeing how many people you can brain with a baseball bat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PantsBandit posted:

The scoring system is the absolute worst part of Hitman because it encourages the player to be really boring and precise. Hitman is best when you're pushing the silly world to its limit and seeing how many people you can brain with a baseball bat.

You're right, but also wrong: using a shovel is FAR more satisfying. That meaty clong when you take out anyone and everyone you want... :allears:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It definitely has some grade-a sound design and physics for the melee takedowns. I hit a guy in the back of the head while he was standing in front of a granite sink and as he went down his jaw snapped into the granite. Have fun at the dentist tomorrow, buddy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like this is relevant to the Hitman discussion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Help, I can't stop laughing

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Propaganda Hour posted:

I got a hankering for a good city building game. Was Anno 2205 really bad? I feel like no one talks about it at all.

Sometime in the summer Kingdoms & Castles is coming out, which looks like a neat little indie medieval city builder. I wish more builder games got made, I love the genre but it's pretty sparse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help, I can't stop laughing

I am trying to find a Hitman video I once saw where Agent 47 electrocuted someone in a puddle, and then when someone came over to investigate, he would electrocute them too, until there was just a big pile of 20 bodies yet people kept coming over to investigate, it was the most hilarious thing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am trying to find a Hitman video I once saw where Agent 47 electrocuted someone in a puddle, and then when someone came over to investigate, he would electrocute them too, until there was just a big pile of 20 bodies yet people kept coming over to investigate, it was the most hilarious thing

This video was noteworthy enough that the developers included a line of NPC dialogue referring to it in a later episode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

One more question from the miserly Hitman shopper: could I get away with grabbing Marrakesh and Hokkaido and skipping Bangkok and Colorado until the next sale? I'm more interested in high tech AI hospital and busy marketplace than a hotel and not-Metal Gear Solid. Will I miss anything important plot-wise (should I pay attention to the plot?) or mechanics-wise?

I don't think I will, but better to ask on the off-chance that there's something amazing in Bangkok that I should see before Hokkaido.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bangkok and Colorado aren't quite as tight as the other levels but they're still fun.

Bangkok's problem is that it basically has two halves that hardly interact. In Colorado, the entire area is hostile until you find a disguise, and even then there are four or five discreet areas that require a particular uniform to walk through unmolested. But I would recommend both, because they each have plenty of great moments. (Watch Agent 47 play drums for his victim in Bangkok, gently caress with an OCD target in Colorado by ruining his perfect row of pencils he keeps on his desk.)

As for plot, Colorado has a few moments that feel like plot bombs but he'll if I know what any of it means.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, let me be more clear: I can't comfortably afford two extra missions, so I'm nailing down which two I grab now, and come for the rest next sale.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65IPyQBgbF8

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I have a relatively new PC with a bigdeal slammin' video card. What are some games that'll showcase the technical power of a PC but also be fun? New tomb raider was okay and overwatch is cool but what else is there? Is witcher 3 as good as everyone says? I have it but couldn't really bring myself to even fire it up after the underwhelming and boring/tedious experience I had with the first 3-5 hours of witcher 2.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah, let me be more clear: I can't comfortably afford two extra missions, so I'm nailing down which two I grab now, and come for the rest next sale.

Then yeah, Hokkaido and Marrakech are probably my third and fourth favourite, respectively.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Avian: Do you want to be medieval batman? Witcher 3 is fun for its sidequests and goofy investigations.

Jay Rust: Thanks! Indecision cured, but now I'm curious: what's your top two favorite levels? Sapienza and....?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hitman tier list:

Sapienza
Paris
Hokkaido
Bangkok (this is top of the bottom half solely because of 47 being a drum god)
Colorado
Marrakesh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I have a relatively new PC with a bigdeal slammin' video card. What are some games that'll showcase the technical power of a PC but also be fun? New tomb raider was okay and overwatch is cool but what else is there? Is witcher 3 as good as everyone says? I have it but couldn't really bring myself to even fire it up after the underwhelming and boring/tedious experience I had with the first 3-5 hours of witcher 2.
Doom, Battlefield 1, DIshonoured 2, Witcher 3.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Avian: Do you want to be medieval batman? Witcher 3 is fun for its sidequests and goofy investigations.

Jay Rust: Thanks! Indecision cured, but now I'm curious: what's your top two favorite levels? Sapienza and....?

Paris!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haha, okay, shoulda seen that coming. Paris feels a little bit cramped to me, but on the other hand you can drop chandeliers on the targets, so I can see that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalyjFKBHvI

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hitman tier list:

Sapienza
Paris
Hokkaido
Bangkok (this is top of the bottom half solely because of 47 being a drum god)
Colorado
Marrakesh

What's wrong with Marrakesh to warrant it landing at the bottom of the pile?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with Marrakesh to warrant it landing at the bottom of the pile?

Something has to be at the bottom of the list! I guess I can't think of any cool gameplay moments or hilarious characters or kills on that map. The masseur, I guess?

The big crowds may seem cool but they are almost entirely window dressing, they don't lend themselves to cool interactions. This map is also the map I would say suffers the most from "two halves that don't interact at all" with the army base and the consulate

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Help I can't stop laughing again, why is this game so funny

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Something has to be at the bottom of the list! I guess I can't think of any cool gameplay moments or hilarious characters or kills on that map. The masseur, I guess?

The big crowds may seem cool but they are almost entirely window dressing, they don't lend themselves to cool interactions. This map is also the map I would say suffers the most from "two halves that don't interact at all" with the army base and the consulate

Oh I see! Fair enough, fair enough. ... I'll probably still grab it and Hokkaido just so I can pretend to play the game in order from Sapienza to Marrakesh then jump ahead. :v:

Note to past-me: you shoulda bought the whole pack when you had the chance. Papers Please is great, but I'm already putting more hours into Hitman. Ah well, it's a good problem to have~

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I completely bounced off Witcher 1 and 2, and I loved Witcher 3. So your previous experience may have no bearing on things. As for graphical showcase well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsS1EMGsDHU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help I can't stop laughing again, why is this game so funny

Agent 47 is the ultimate straightman for the absurd farce that is life. Also hitting people with fire extinguishers makes a funny sound.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

And now Windows 10 wants to update. :negative:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

IMO Witcher 3 is as good as everybody says and improves on 2 as much as 2 improved on 1.

Doom, Titanfall 2, Hitman 2016, Battlefield 1 (it has singleplayer), Far Cry 4/Primal, Dying Light and Crysis 3 still look great.

Also check out Reshade - it's a very easy to use post-processing software that will improve how realistic games look (it doesn't really work well on more stylized games). You can download presets depending on a game but just turning on Luma Sharpen, High Pass Sharpen and Clarity will make games look crisper without really interfering with their designed look.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Avian Pneumonia posted:

TW3 is good and looks great of course but you kind of have to set aside all your other games to make room as it moves very, very slowly and it's easy to lose momentum if you're not fully engaged in the story. DOOM with Vulkan enabled is the smoothest looking thing I've ever played on PC, play DOOM. If you liked the newest Tomb Raider then TR2013 still looks really good even 4 years later.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Jay Rust posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's approximate game completion percentage, i.e. how often do you finish a game you start? (I guess being "finished" with a game is also pretty subjective and often dependant on what kind of game it is, but I dunno, make something up)

80-90% on stuff i actually buy so not including ps+ games or whatever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's approximate game completion percentage, i.e. how often do you finish a game you start? (I guess being "finished" with a game is also pretty subjective and often dependant on what kind of game it is, but I dunno, make something up)

Like, eventually? 90+%. There's almost no game I start that I won't get to the end of. The exceptions are anything just egregiously bad (Paper Sorcerer, Tales of Zestiria) or if I run into bugs that straight up prevent me from progressing even if I like the game (Voidspire Tactics, Paper Sorcerer), or I'm just incompatible as a player with the way the game is designed (Darkest Dungeon, Dark Souls ..., paper sorcerer).

If something doesn't fall under those umbrellas, there's a good chance that I'll get around to seeing the ending, even if it takes a year or two.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My goodness the Hokkaido level is both big and hard. I did a dumb preliminary run and followed a dude who wants to be Helmut Kruger around before stabbing the Yakuza lady's guard with scissors and getting gunned down. A promising start - and I'll come back to it later, because I need to build up my skills and go through more of Sapienza and Marrakesh and the rest - but I like what I see, and can't wait to get into dissecting that level! :D

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Finally came back to Zelda and beat it. 96 shrines completed, clocked in at 75 hours. I'll be coming to clean up the remaining shrines sometime. I'd give the game a G4F5.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is there a general stupid computer questions megathread? Google sheets is kicking my rear end at something as simple as adding hh:mm durations together :saddowns:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure there's one in SH/SC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RCRU patch 6 notes posted:

Added a cool-down for tutorial pop-ups so they aren't inadvertently skipped
Added visual indicators when a vending machine is empty and when you have extracted all of its available contents
Fixed a possible loss of control bug with the lift to Merv Tower
Fixed a bug where the final boss could flip its body
Fixed enemies spawning too close to players when they transition into a level
Fixed issue where Tex could fall into water when fleeing
Fixed Cliffhanger achievement not triggering
Fixed excessive AI "back-off"
Fixed some hidden objects still retaining physics properties even when invisible
Fixed sound effect issues when multiple identical sounds trigger at the same time (i.e. when defeating multiple enemies at once)
Added a command line option to disable flashing effects that can negatively affect some players (use --noflash)
Added a command line option to override the port the game listens on, to work around port forwarding issues reported by some players (use --port X, where X is the desired port number)

The list of bugs and design issues keeps shrinking, but there are still some outstanding big ones....

• Locked thread