Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Nolan Arenado posted:

So it sounds like Wichita State to the AAC is probably going to happen?

The membership timeline for the Missouri Valley is very sad, the teams just slowly and steadily get worse as the decades go on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference#Membership_timeline

Please welcome your newest member of the Big Ten, your Evansville Purple Aces.

Still more competitive than Rutgers.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

my midmajor is a steppig stone waka waka

They should bring Anthony Grant back. Or Capel! Or wait, like, two years and get Shaka!

Hmm good luck, LSU

Probably Magic posted:

UNI would be a legit upgrade over Rutgers in every major sport

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nolan Arenado posted:

So it sounds like Wichita State to the AAC is probably going to happen?

The membership timeline for the Missouri Valley is very sad, the teams just slowly and steadily get worse as the decades go on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference#Membership_timeline

The committee will never take them seriously as long as they're in the MVC, so they may as well move up if they get the chance.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Benne posted:

The committee will never take them seriously as long as they're in the MVC, so they may as well move up if they get the chance.

They won't be taken seriously in the AAC either.

That said, the conference does need a 12th basketball school or even an 11th if UConn leaves.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Korranus posted:

That said, the conference does need a 12th basketball school or even an 11th if UConn leaves.

Who else is leaving?

If Wichita St. were to join the AAC, I think it'd be a pretty strong basketball conference. Cincy, SMU, UConn, and Temple all have pretty good programs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
SMU being good is a very recent development. I don't know if they'll maintain it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

pubic works project posted:

Who else is leaving?

Everyone, if they could.

The American has 12 football teams but only 11 for other sports; Navy's other sports are I think in the Patriot League to be with Army. That would become ten if UConn leaves.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Korranus posted:

Everyone, if they could.

The American has 12 football teams but only 11 for other sports; Navy's other sports are I think in the Patriot League to be with Army. That would become ten if UConn

[quote="Korranus" post="470552008"]
Everyone, if they could.

The American has 12 football teams but only 11 for other sports; Navy's other sports are I think in the Patriot League to be with Army. That would become ten if UConn leaves.

I don't know if it's particularly likely that UConn leaves, given that we don't know exactly how The American would treat its football program and UConn doesn't seem terribly committed to dumping that quite yet.

I also am, frankly, a little concerned of adding non-football members to the conference, given how it worked out for UConn last time.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Democrazy posted:

I don't know if it's particularly likely that UConn leaves, given that we don't know exactly how The American would treat its football program and UConn doesn't seem terribly committed to dumping that quite yet.

I also am, frankly, a little concerned of adding non-football members to the conference, given how it worked out for UConn last time.

Wouldn't having Navy as a football-only member negate that though? It's basically using them as a stand-in for Wichita St.

I feel like the Big East would make more sense for Wichita St. Creighton is already there so geography isn't an issue. Maybe add them and Dayton. Or UConn I guess but they'd have a lot of football logistics to work through. Don't know if the Big East is even thinking about expanding though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Korranus posted:

Tulsa made the tournament last year based entirely on getting to play in the AAC against decent teams. They were a seed line or two lower than a 31-4 Wichita team was this year. It's a big boost.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm at work and phone posting. Who's the non-basketball school in the AAC? Navy?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UMass hired Winthrop's coach, that's a good get especially if he can build a staff that knows the Northeast.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I'm at work and phone posting. Who's the non-basketball school in the AAC? Navy?

Yeah, Navy plays football in the conference and is in the Patriot League for everything else.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Wouldn't having Navy as a football-only member negate that though? It's basically using them as a stand-in for Wichita St.

I feel like the Big East would make more sense for Wichita St. Creighton is already there so geography isn't an issue. Maybe add them and Dayton. Or UConn I guess but they'd have a lot of football logistics to work through. Don't know if the Big East is even thinking about expanding though.

Would the Big East take a public university though? All but Butler are Catholic- or Jesuit-affiliated on top of that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I haven't read any rumors about Big East expansion, but I think it'd be cool. It would be stupid to focus on schools that had a certain religious background. Was the old Big East like that?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't read any rumors about Big East expansion, but I think it'd be cool. It would be stupid to focus on schools that had a certain religious background. Was the old Big East like that?

No, it just had a bunch of Catholic schools because the northeast is hugely Catholic and those schools stuck around for the new conference because Catholic schools don't have big time football (except ND and BC).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

They should bring Anthony Grant back. Or Capel! Or wait, like, two years and get Shaka!

Hmm good luck, LSU

UNI would be a legit upgrade over Rutgers in every major sport

They'd be an upgrade over Iowa too :hf:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

They'd be an upgrade over Iowa too :hf:

Big Ten is too snobbish about academics (or pretends to be, anyway) to make any swaps.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Dango Bango posted:

Would the Big East take a public university though? All but Butler are Catholic- or Jesuit-affiliated on top of that.

Butler sets the precedent so I don't think that would be an issue. I think it's more just coincidence that the non-football playing schools of the old Big East just happened to be Jesuit schools.

I haven't seen or heard any rumblings of expansion for the Big East. Having 10 allows for a home-and-home round robin, and it's not like the league is lacking respect or quality teams, so there really is no reason to expand.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Butler is still a private school though.

I have heard that there is no way the Big East will expand soon, I think because of the tv contracts too, so I expect them to stay at 10 for awhile.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Probably Magic posted:

Hell loving yes! However Evansville doesn't have football or hockey so the B1G probably wouldn't take us. Their loss I guess.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Hell loving yes! However Evansville doesn't have football or hockey so the B1G probably wouldn't take us. Their loss I guess.

It's not like Purdue, Rutgers, or (until recently) Indiana really have football

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

elentar posted:

Big Ten is too snobbish about academics (or pretends to be, anyway) to make any swaps.
We were, but then we let in Nebraska

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Three Pitt players have transferred out in three weeks. Stallings was always a weird hire for them, looks to be playing out now.

gvibes posted:

We were, but then we let in Nebraska

Oddly enough, Nebraska is a huge hub for what I do. (Not corn-related in any way.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gottlieb didn't get the OSU job, he just joined Fox Sports.

Which means he'll be eating in the same lunchroom with me and easily triggered. Something something credit cards.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

elentar posted:

Three Pitt players have transferred out in three weeks. Stallings was always a weird hire for them, looks to be playing out now.

Oddly enough, Nebraska is a huge hub for what I do. (Not corn-related in any way.)
I think it's the only big ten university not in the AAU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of being in the AAU is how much research money you get and Nebraska misses mostly because the AAU largely doesn't count ag research money and, shockingly, the university of Nebraska has a big focus on agriculture. They also get dinged because the university of Nebraska med school is in Omaha instead of Lincoln so UNL can't count that. In most regards it's not a substantially worst school (particularly for undergrad) than most of the conference. Also the idea that lots of Big Ten fans have that the AAU is somehow like being in the Ivy League is really dumb.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanESPN

Oklahoma State will interview alum Doug Gottlieb tomorrow, sources told ESPN.

So I guess he has an escape clause with Fox.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Why would they want him anyway? Has he ever coached anywhere at any level?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

kiimo posted:

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanESPN

Oklahoma State will interview alum Doug Gottlieb tomorrow, sources told ESPN.
Tweets embed if you just link them now.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/844605303966466048

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope it happens because I want to watch him fail loving hard.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
Didn't Gottlieb throw a poo poo fit that they didn't interview him last time? Why yes Mr. Analyst with no coaching experience, you sure do deserve to jump right into a head coaching job.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Didn't Fred Hoiberg do the same thing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Not sure if he threw a fit, but he did lobby to get interviewed before ISU hired McDermott. We know how that turned out later on though.

I would say that Hoiberg had better credentials than Gottlieb does though. Hoiberg at least played in the NBA, and spent time in an NBA front office. Gottlieb never made it to the NBA and has been an analyst for a long time, which doesn't really mean poo poo.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like, there are definitely guys you can bring up to justify considering an ex player with no coaching experience (Hoiberg in college, Kerr in the NBA, though both had front office experience), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It would be great if Gottlieb didn't get the job and then also had to eat crow with Michael Porter Jr. going to Mizzou

quote:

Michael Porter Jr. asks out of National of Letter of Intent with Washington

Porter Jr. also confirmed his father had been offered a position on Cuonzo Martin’s staff at Missouri.

Because it's Mizzou and we can't have nice things, it probably won't happen, but still nice to think about.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's probably going to Mizzou but for what it's worth he like, JUST released four schools in the running: Oklahoma, Washington, Missouri, Virginia.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/michael-porter-jr-washington-release-recruiting#sthash.2HLWhS4L.uxfs

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia? Isn't he a one-and-done?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

He's probably going to Mizzou but for what it's worth he like, JUST released four schools in the running: Oklahoma, Washington, Missouri, Virginia.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/michael-porter-jr-washington-release-recruiting#sthash.2HLWhS4L.uxfs

If I were guessing I'd think OU if he doesn't go to Mizzou, he's got a buddy going there he'd like to play with I think I read somewhere.

It's super weird even being in this discussion by the way, let alone being the odds on favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Virginia? Isn't he a one-and-done?

He's the best player in the class so yes unless something goes terribly wrong. Why would that stop him from going to UVA?

• Locked thread