Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

facialimpediment posted:

Right now, there's still a full-cloture requirement on Supreme Court nominees, so 60 votes are needed to break it (all Republicans +8 Democrats). Mitch McConnell (R-turtle) has basically suggested that he will kill that requirement if Democrats put up a roadblock and knock the cloture rule down to a majority-cloture requirement (just needs Republicans). It has already been done for Federal Judges, just not Supreme Court Justices.

Hard-left Democrats think that McConnell is bluffing and he won't actually kill the filibuster. There's *some* evidence that he really doesn't want to do it, but there's just as much evidence that he would. Also, there has been some noise from Republican Senators that they don't want the OVERALL filibuster touched, because if it gets knocked down to a majority requirement, that diminishes the power of single Senators. That said, some of those same Republican Senators only care about keeping the normal filibuster for FULL legislation, NOT Supreme Court Justices.

So Democrats are kind of in a bind because Gorsuch isn't *that* terrible, other than beliefs. Do you go all-out and call McConnell's bluff? Do you hold back, knowing that Donnie's next pick *could* be worse? Do you say gently caress all that and just let Gorsuch sail through and hit Donnie about all of his other bullshit to slow that all down? Do you think the 60-vote filibuster is already gonna be dead so what the gently caress why not deny 60 votes?

Or, do you go FULL nuclear and deny unanimous consent on everything in the Senate, basically killing anything in the interest of stalling for time on literally every single vote, including putting the Senate into session?

Sort of a hard decision.

I don't know, it seems worthwhile to watch the current administration step on its own dick to death so that Dems don't have to deal with accusations of being obstructionist in 2/4 years. That matters too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I know that states seem to flip for very different reasons than that but whatever

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zeris posted:

I don't know, it seems worthwhile to watch the current administration step on its own dick to death so that Dems don't have to deal with accusations of being obstructionist in 2/4 years. That matters too right?

Hard to know, since Republicans blocked literally loving everything and got rewarded with control of everything federal and a ton of state seats all over the place. Democrats got power in 2006 by basically saying "Republicans are corrupt as hell, we'll fix that" and it worked, because Democrats like functional government, Republicans don't much care.

Then again, the energy on the Democratic side is for scorched-earth, no cooperation, gently caress Donnie forever tactics.

So who knows? :confused:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Smiling Jack posted:

I've posted it before this scene loving owns

Completely historically inaccurate but hey it's Oliver Stone

I couldn't remember who posted it, it was the reason I decided to watch it.

Is it inaccurate? How do you know the CIA didn't whack Kennedy then threaten to do it to all subsequent Presidents to keep them in line? :tinfoil:

Spooks are scary yo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im kinda shocked the dems havent tried to hold up the nomination until after the russia investigation is done

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im kinda shocked the dems havent tried to hold up the nomination until after the russia investigation is done

With everything that's been publicly shown so far, Pence seems clean on the Russian bullshit. Flynn wouldn't have lied to him if Pence was in on the deal. He didn't lie to Trump, after all. So in the case that the Russia investigation does oust Trump, there's nothing to indicate at the moment that Pence would nominate someone different than Gorsuch. If Pence gets tossed out with Trump, we have President Ryan choosing Scalia's replacement.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

With everything that's been publicly shown so far, Pence seems clean on the Russian bullshit. Flynn wouldn't have lied to him if Pence was in on the deal. He didn't lie to Trump, after all. So in the case that the Russia investigation does oust Trump, there's nothing to indicate at the moment that Pence would nominate someone different than Gorsuch. If Pence gets tossed out with Trump, we have President Ryan choosing Scalia's replacement.

No, we'd have to hold it off until someone gets elected at the top of the ticket. If Obama's nomination wasn't legit with over a year to go then there is no way some line of succession goober gets a nomination

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The safest thing for the Dems to do regarding Gorsuch is delay until May. R's really want him confirmed by Easter, so that would gently caress with their plans, but it might not be extreme enough to force the nuclear option.

Between the budget, ACHCcaaaa or whatever the gently caress, and this the senate could be really busy for for the next few months.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

At first, racists killed the not-muslim brown people, thinking they were the muslim brown people. Then they started killing the muslim brown people, but very stupidly.

https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/843956865889452034

Now they're hedging their bets.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 21, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Please check one: muslim or hindu

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Regarding Dems and the conundrum of Gorsuch not being a complete rubber stamp for the Trump administration, they should just let their coworkers across the aisle know that, independent of Gorsuch's qualifications, they're going to delay a vote on him for one year. The GOP has set the precedent, and, by their own actions, have shown that it is an acceptable tactic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Office Pig posted:

At first, racists killed the not-muslim brown people, thinking they were the muslim brown people. Then they started killing the muslim brown people, but very stupidly.

Please See: The Marine Reservist who attacked a Greek Orthodox priest who asked him for directions with a tire iron.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Office Pig posted:

stabbing a priest during lent? hes gonna have to say a shitload of hail marys

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

stabbing a priest during lent? hes gonna have to say a shitload of hail marys

It's all in the plan.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

thats the thing. If donnie fucks up constantly for four years (and he will) but democrats are being obstructionists on everything, then come election time its gonna be blamed on the democrats

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

thats the thing. If donnie fucks up constantly for four years (and he will) but democrats are being obstructionists on everything, then come election time its gonna be blamed on the democrats

True, but if the democrats allow the raping and pillaging to continue unabated for four years, god alone knows what kind of state your country will be in.

What a hell of a loving choice to have to make.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

I thought this way too until the Obama administration happened. Turns out most people think the president is in charge of the economy and all laws, and everything for better or worse is the president's fault. The only people informed enough to recognize obstruction probably already have a political preference so they won't change their votes based on it. There's no price for it. 2/3 of America is blind to it and 1/3 of America won't care.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Best Friends posted:

I thought this way too until the Obama administration happened. Turns out most people think the president is in charge of the economy and all laws, and everything for better or worse is the president's fault. The only people informed enough to recognize obstruction probably already have a political preference so they won't change their votes based on it. There's no price for it. 2/3 of America is blind to it and 1/3 of America won't care.

And 6/3s don't vote? :confused:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Reverand maynard posted:

We're very specifically not getting a functional government under the orange hate goblin anyway. If dems cock block everything Trump does and scream about it the whole time the base would be energized by seeing them grow a loving spine for the first time in decades. Fighting awful, repugnant poo poo is what they want after seeing what the turd-in-chief wants to do.

Take a page from the bullshit the GOP pulled for eight years of a black man and blame any damage on the other guys. They'd have the advantage of the truth this time instead of whipping up bullshit hysteria about Jade Helm operatives concealing the birth certificate. Throw in a dash of giving a gently caress about anyone who makes less than a half million a year and you have a recipe for complete turn around of elections across huge swaths of the country.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
On the other hand, the article posted last week where the coal miner said under trump he would continue to have a job for fifteen more years instead of five.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

We're very specifically not getting a functional government under the orange hate goblin anyway. If dems cock block everything Trump does and scream about it the whole time the base would be energized by seeing them grow a loving spine for the first time in decades. Fighting awful, repugnant poo poo is what they want after seeing what the turd-in-chief wants to do.

Take a page from the bullshit the GOP pulled for eight years of a black man and blame any damage on the other guys. They'd have the advantage of the truth this time instead of whipping up bullshit hysteria about Jade Helm operatives concealing the birth certificate. Throw in a dash of giving a gently caress about anyone who makes less than a half million a year and you have a recipe for complete turn around of elections across huge swaths of the country.

I am convinced that all of your hate and concerns about Trump are exactly how republican voters felt about Obama. And as strongly as you feel that all of the bullshit about Trump is true (and I'm right there with you), the republican base felt the exact same way about Obama.

For example: Trump is a Russia plant? Well Obama was an Isis plant (or founded Isis, depending on semantics I guess).

As right as you feel is as right as they feel. So any facts you may have 100% do not matter.

Pretty sure Trump could bang his daughter in the White House front lawn and a good portion of his base would say they wish their daughters were that hot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Throw in a dash of giving a gently caress about anyone who makes less than a half million a year

Lmao

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

And 6/3s don't vote? :confused:

More like 3/5's.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TBeats posted:

I am convinced that all of your hate and concerns about Trump are exactly how republican voters felt about Obama. And as strongly as you feel that all of the bullshit about Trump is true (and I'm right there with you), the republican base felt the exact same way about Obama.

For example: Trump is a Russia plant? Well Obama was an Isis plant (or founded Isis, depending on semantics I guess).

As right as you feel is as right as they feel. So any facts you may have 100% do not matter.

Pretty sure Trump could bang his daughter in the White House front lawn and a good portion of his base would say they wish their daughters were that hot.

And this is what I just can't understand for the life of me. How in the gently caress did we get to the point where provable facts don't loving matter?

Oh wait Nixon won a landslide even while Watergate was breaking haha it's always been that way

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I don't care about the feelings or beliefs of a bunch of delusional assholes, and neither should the Democrats.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Two Finger posted:

And this is what I just can't understand for the life of me. How in the gently caress did we get to the point where provable facts don't loving matter?

Oh wait Nixon won a landslide even while Watergate was breaking haha it's always been that way

Poor white people in the US vote based upon emotion, not logic. And having highly educated white people tell them why they're wrong just makes them dig their heels in further.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I don't care about the feelings or beliefs of a bunch of delusional assholes, and neither should the Democrats.

I hesitantly say this because of the conversation it will inevitably lead to, but caring/not caring about poor delusional assholes is why we are in the current situation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/844136433547907072

From what I understand you have to check it if it's bigger than a cell phone.

quote:

The U.S. officials said intelligence "indicates terrorist groups continue to target commercial aviation" by "smuggling explosive devices in various consumer items." The officials declined to provide specific information on the threat or why these particular airports were selected.

Also don't international travel rules say something like you have to carry lithium ion battery devices into the cabin anyway?

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TBeats posted:

Also don't international travel rules say something like you have to carry lithium ion battery devices into the cabin anyway?

Domestic ones too. Spare lithium ion batteries in the cabin. Devices in the hold.

This sounds spectacularly dumb. Now all they need is a timer? Or a cell phone sized device with transmit capability to remote detonate?

Clearly beyond the capabilities of terrorist science.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
That's so weird....why would they do that? It's not like airlines have been targeted recently. That poo poo stopped in the late 70s or early 80s.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Two Finger posted:

Hey, Nixon was corruption you could trust. The damage he did to the image of politics in this country though, I'm partly convinced that's why we'll never the beancounters or intelligent seeming types back at the front of the Republican party. Bush 41 was the last I think. Bush 43 definitely changed his brand from when he was running for Texas compared to POTUS, a lot more Alfred E Newman in the latter.

McGovern had to deal with the cognitive dissonance of being against a war his party started, it didn't go well for him. I mean gently caress, the funding cutoff he was threatening the military with probably fostered the "are troops" poo poo and gave ammo to the other side. Though he was probably on the nose with calling out South Vietnam's VP on selling drugs to troops.

I've got a Mazelow-ian heirarchy rant about this but I'm really tired and don't want to type it out. Don't ship your base's jobs overseas then call them names when they're unhappy that they're out of work.

Also kinda mad the Republican party went form the party of nature conservation and the EPA to a Reagan worshiping doomsday cult of FYGM.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/202446/20170321/stephen-hawking-raises-concerns-over-trump-s-environmental-policy.htm

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TBeats posted:

gently caress this is going to make travel for my job so much more of a pain in the rear end

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

I hesitantly say this because of the conversation it will inevitably lead to, but caring/not caring about poor delusional assholes is why we are in the current situation.

The problem is this:

psydude posted:

Poor white people in the US vote based upon emotion, not logic. And having highly educated white people tell them why they're wrong just makes them dig their heels in further.

We have a voting bloc that is blind to reason and facts. You say that ignoring them is why we're in this situation, but a non-trivial number of these voters won't be swayed regardless.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

TBeats posted:

Those rules have never prohibited checking laptops or ipads

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 21, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nixon and Bush Senior were the last non-big business Republicans. The EPA would have never flown under Reagan because it's bad for business' bottom lines.

Trying to compare the parties of today to the parties of the LBJ/Nixon/Goldwater/McGovern era is like trying to compare Pink Floyd between the Syd Barrett/Roger Waters eras: They're entirely different animals with different focuses and lunatics in charge.

Goldwater stirred up enough conservatism within the Republican party to make Nixon look liberal by comparison, and even Goldwater was appalled at how quickly the Republicans embraced the holy roller Jesus warriors and started waging culture wars. The failure of McGovern was the end of liberal politics in the Democratic party until the current era, because that was the catalyst that gave rise to the Democrats being Republican-lite.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Domestic ones too. Spare lithium ion batteries in the cabin. Devices in the hold.

This sounds spectacularly dumb. Now all they need is a timer? Or a cell phone sized device with transmit capability to remote detonate?

Clearly beyond the capabilities of terrorist science.

I think their search machines for checked bags are more extensive, whereas with carryon and passengers they're compromising between quicker searching that doesn't enrage passengers or airlines, and deeper searching to match what the latest THREAT ALERTS are saying (ie pat down 50 random grandmas per week).

It's also a pretty straightforward vote of confidence against the security systems in place at those airports.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Zeris posted:

I think their search machines for checked bags are more extensive, whereas with carryon and passengers they're compromising between quicker searching that doesn't enrage passengers or airlines, and deeper searching to match what the latest THREAT ALERTS are saying (ie pat down 50 random grandmas per week).

It's also a pretty straightforward vote of confidence against the security systems in place at those airports.

They've done that before. I remember in 2012-ish, airports in the US had signs everywhere that any passengers from Venezuela (or some other South American country) had to be thoroughly rescreened in the US because they couldn't verify that people were being screened.

This looks more like a routine "Welp, we can't verify their security systems" thing and I expect that any attempt to fight this in court will go nowhere.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In non-scaldingly-hot Phoenix news:

This billboard went up down there last Friday, and it's staying until Trump's out of office:

:lol:

http://www.12news.com/news/politics/owner-of-phoenix-trump-billboard-it-will-stay-up-as-long-as-trump-is-president/423507653

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm not used to porn this early.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/844181263741280256

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/844185550106058752

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/844186322885660672

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/844187174820106242

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/844187233259311105

Dirty, dirty stuff.