Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ungulateman posted:

in what way is this game better than hearthstone except 'has more anime tiddy'

it gives you just as many garbage bad cards to start with, except it has a single-player mode that puts you up against literally unbeatable decks, then stares at you until you give them money to buy better cards

the best part is that the literally unbeatable decks are unbeatable because of cards that are patently obviously unplayable against real decks (a 6 mana enchantment that makes minions into 5/5s? some janky 8/8 for 0?), so there's another layer of pay-to-win AFTER that

Nice copypasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Looking over the spoilers Baphomet looks fun. A 2 cost 2/1 with Fanfare "Put a random Bloodcraft follower with at least 5 attack from your deck into your hand. Enhance 5: then subtract 3 from it's cost." to tutor up Mastema as a finisher for Aggro Blood is kinda awesome.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BGrifter posted:

Looking over the spoilers Baphomet looks fun. A 2 cost 2/1 with Fanfare "Put a random Bloodcraft follower with at least 5 attack from your deck into your hand. Enhance 5: then subtract 3 from it's cost." to tutor up Mastema as a finisher for Aggro Blood is kinda awesome.

Turn 4 Blood Moon, turn 5 Maelstorm Serpent.

...Turn 6 Themis.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BGrifter posted:

Is mastema even good in aggro blood? Sure, she has stats but she has to wait a turn to go face just at the time when everybody is evolving.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

trucutru posted:

Is mastema even good in aggro blood? Sure, she has stats but she has to wait a turn to go face just at the time when everybody is evolving.

Right now probably not, too slow. But tutored up for free by your two drop in a slightly slower meta it seems possible? Or perhaps another five attack minion will need to come along.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BGrifter posted:

Right now probably not, too slow. But tutored up for free by your two drop in a slightly slower meta it seems possible? Or perhaps another five attack minion will need to come along.

So you're playing a 2/1 on five with aggro blood so that you can play a 2pp Mastema on six... so that maybe she can hit something on seven. It makes absolutely no sense.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

trucutru posted:

Nice copypasta

so there's no counterargument and the title is a filthy lie, much like the promise of enjoying this game? cool

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ungulateman posted:

so there's no counterargument and the title is a filthy lie, much like the promise of enjoying this game? cool

Yeah. Sorry about that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

trucutru posted:

So you're playing a 2/1 on five with aggro blood so that you can play a 2pp Mastema on six... so that maybe she can hit something on seven. It makes absolutely no sense.

No, you're playing a 2/1 on two with aggro blood so you can play a 5pp Masterma on five and either evo/smash a Ward or wait and hit face on turn six. Why would you wait for the Enhance?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The game gives you enough gold a day to get a free pack, which already makes it more generous than Hearthstone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BGrifter posted:

No, you're playing a 2/1 on two with aggro blood so you can play a 5pp Masterma on five and either evo/smash a Ward or wait and hit face on turn six. Why would you wait for the Enhance?

Because you can already play Mastema on five, everybody tried it when the expansion started, as we found out that she doesn't really fit the aggro gameplan so I thought you were trying to make her cheaper. There is just too much removal (and evos) at that point in the game for a single slow fat body to survive long enough to go face.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, Bloody Mary + Belphegor is a turn 9 auto-kill for Control Blood as long as you're not in Vengeance. Belphegor will try to damage you until you reach Vengeance, but all that damage goes to the opponent's face instead, so you never reach 10 HP and it never stops.

Did everyone else realize this already and I'm just slow?

Edit: It specifically says "deal damage to your leader until", not "deal X damage where X is your Defense- 10. Which implies to me that it keeps hitting you repeatedly for 1 or something, and is very similar to how the Deepwood Anomaly is worded. Then again, Wildfang Dragonewt + Dragonclaw Pendant didn't work out, so I guess the wording isn't the final word on how things work.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 21, 2017

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I feel like I'm just now realizing the true power of wolf bolt. Been too focused on the 18 damage double bolt dream when that's not exactly the easiest thing to set up. Last few games I've won have used a 0 cost bolt to fuel some absolutely ridiculous roach combo that deals like 26 damage in one turn.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Clarste posted:

Edit: It specifically says "deal damage to your leader until", not "deal X damage where X is your Defense- 10. Which implies to me that it keeps hitting you repeatedly for 1 or something, and is very similar to how the Deepwood Anomaly is worded. Then again, Wildfang Dragonewt + Dragonclaw Pendant didn't work out, so I guess the wording isn't the final word on how things work.

Wildfang Dragonewt was known to deal its total damage in one hit since Darkness Evolved, so it was clear it was going to be discard value + 1. She just works better with more granular discards with that combo. (Well, "better" since the combo isn't that reliable.)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

lil baby anime posted:

I feel like I'm just now realizing the true power of wolf bolt. Been too focused on the 18 damage double bolt dream when that's not exactly the easiest thing to set up. Last few games I've won have used a 0 cost bolt to fuel some absolutely ridiculous roach combo that deals like 26 damage in one turn.

Yup, it's not the whole 18 in one turn thing from two bolts that's hosed up, it's that it's a 0pp bolt in a class with roaches in it thats messed up

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Clarste posted:

Wait, Bloody Mary + Belphegor is a turn 9 auto-kill for Control Blood as long as you're not in Vengeance. Belphegor will try to damage you until you reach Vengeance, but all that damage goes to the opponent's face instead, so you never reach 10 HP and it never stops.

The japanese wording for both her and deepwood are alot better. There's no way they would let potential infinite damage through the game when a card like timeless witch exist so both her and deepwood are 99% likely going to be a one time damage

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ungulateman posted:

if you're having problems beating the AI i have doubts you ever played hearthstone, the story missions arent even hard let alone 'unbeatable'

maybe you should try opening the free packs you got and making a real deck with the cards instead of just using the premades

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

ungulateman posted:

That's the first time I've ever seen anyone complain about the single player decks that aren't the amazing gimmick decks like forest 10 boss, burglar etc or are actual hardish decks for newbie decks like rune 10 boss. The game's easy man, rerolling is a concept that exists and even if someone was too stubborn or proud to take advantage of it, the game throws dozens and dozens of packs for you to get started. It's objectively a better starting experience from hs by having so many packs you can reroll, and a ladder that never resets so the odds of someone with all complete tier 1 decks and the game experience to use them optimally camping in beginners is extremely low.

And when you actually want to spend money, sv gives more bang for your buck than hs because packs have better rates, you can buy them half priced if you're okay with only one a day, and prebuilt decks are amazing value. There's more but I would just repeating the op

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ah, owlcat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

The only OTK is to tutor Azazel with Baphomet and play Bloody Mary and reduce cost Azazel while you're at full hp.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So when's this expansion coming out? I've been sitting on coins to rack up new packs as soon as it drops.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So when's this expansion coming out? I've been sitting on coins to rack up new packs as soon as it drops.

March 30, I believe.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Coming from Hearthstone this game's pretty fun in constructed, but is it just me or is Take Two a really awful format?
Grabbing two cards at a time makes synergy basically impossible and it seems like half the games come down to "who drafted an insanely powerful legendary"

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

Coming from Hearthstone this game's pretty fun in constructed, but is it just me or is Take Two a really awful format?
Grabbing two cards at a time makes synergy basically impossible and it seems like half the games come down to "who drafted an insanely powerful legendary"

That's kind of a joke considering there's literally no synergy to Hearthstone drafting, you might be lucky to get two or three cards with any synergy at all in a deck, meanwhile in shadowverse entire classes are designed around synergy and like half the cards you draft will play into it in some way. Well, that may be a little exaggeration, but it's certainly a far more common occurrence than in HS where the only combos you were likely to get were 'my deck has more than 1 mech in it'

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

its that + Who Can Curve Out The Best, which is what HS arena has been for basically ever. I'm not sure what else it could be in a game like this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I'm of two minds on Take Two, I think it's consistent enough but only because the card pool is so small. Games do end way too often on "I played my bomb, if you can't answer you lose", but that could be me being garbage - which is always a probability. Now, Arena is a format where you only go for synergy if you're lucky enough to get it by chance in the first half of the draft, and I actually think Take Two is way more synergetic because Shadowverse is really heavy on class synergies anyway. It feels a lot more swing-based than HS Arena too, which is still very curve-based. You know when Rogue hits them combos and all of a sudden they have the board and you're hosed? Take Two gives me a LOT of those moments - again, might be because I still don't know what cards I should be playing around, but there's also more cards with that effect in it.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Indecisive posted:

That's kind of a joke considering there's literally no synergy to Hearthstone drafting, you might be lucky to get two or three cards with any synergy at all in a deck, meanwhile in shadowverse entire classes are designed around synergy and like half the cards you draft will play into it in some way. Well, that may be a little exaggeration, but it's certainly a far more common occurrence than in HS where the only combos you were likely to get were 'my deck has more than 1 mech in it'

I'm definitely not saying Hearthstone arena is good either! I hated it!
But with Take Two I do get frustrated more often because legendary cards show up way more commonly in the draft and on average have a much larger impact.
Many of the classes in Shadowverse feel completely reliant on having their synergies working properly to stand a chance of beating down an opponent before those insane late game bombs come out. Like Forestcraft just feels completely awful, all its combo mechanics and hand size stuff do basically nothing.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The trick to take 2 is to always hold on to a 'destroy a follower' card until you absolutely need it because the other guy is definitely holding on to his bahamut

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jimmy Hats posted:

The trick to take 2 is to always hold on to a 'destroy a follower' card until you absolutely need it because the other guy is definitely holding on to his bahamut

Oh God, hard removal is SO premium. Like, hard removal in HS Arena is premium now, but getting a Take Two draft with no hard removal feels like ABSOLUTE SUFFERING. I think I'd take a dud and an unconditional hard removal over two above-average cards from my experiences in Take Two.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm definitely not saying Hearthstone arena is good either! I hated it!
But with Take Two I do get frustrated more often because legendary cards show up way more commonly in the draft and on average have a much larger impact.
Many of the classes in Shadowverse feel completely reliant on having their synergies working properly to stand a chance of beating down an opponent before those insane late game bombs come out. Like Forestcraft just feels completely awful, all its combo mechanics and hand size stuff do basically nothing.

much like hearthstone, some classes are just Better in arena. Here Swordcraft is king by a mile, forest isn't the worst but yea you aren't gonna get to do much of the 'play 3 cards in a turn' stuff. You aren't wrong about the legendaries though, they show up decently often (most drafts will have at least 1) and they tend to be high impact.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I just started playing Bloodcraft, and my newly constructed deck has gone 5-0 in ranked! Accept your drat fate daria and/or swordcraft turdlords

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

http://www.pcgamer.com/take-a-first...uffer-pcgamertw :cthulhu:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Okay. What were they thinking for Dragonslayer's Price? The only way to be able to play this card and not just lose eventually from the card disadvantage is if you had rites in play.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

They wanted to dilute dragon's win rate in arena further by sabotaging their gold pool

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

They wanted to dilute dragon's win rate in arena further by sabotaging their gold pool

In the same vein that they're boosting Forest's by giving them Deepwood Anomaly?

It's more that the card has like.... such an insane cost to it that I have to wonder what they're thinking. I guess it works if you're in topdeck mode.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

They should just give discard dragon a break and give them a 3pp follower that searches for an amulet

And since pretty much almost all cards are revealed now, I'm a little sad they didn't give haven a countdown amulet that summons followers. I hate everything about haven except that part and it's the same part they won't be supporting for two expansions now in terms of more follower countdown amulets. Pretty much the last one they added was beastcall aria and it was OP as gently caress so they got spooked maybe?? Just don't add anymore 2pp amulets cmon

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Is there any 4-drop better than Righteous Devil? Because he is baller as gently caress.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Is there any 4-drop better than Righteous Devil? Because he is baller as gently caress.

He's pretty baller if you're in Vengeance. A lot of the good evolves are at 4pp, stuff like Floral Fencer, Priest of the Cudgel, Wardrobe Raider, etc.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
As a new player, is there anything in particular I should focus on doing? I've been saving my gold so far because there's a new expansion coming and the game's still occasionally giving my free boosters of the current sets. I'm working my way through the story mode battles right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Okay. What were they thinking for Dragonslayer's Price? The only way to be able to play this card and not just lose eventually from the card disadvantage is if you had rites in play.

It's just their weird hate-boner for discard dragon again. By this point is actually pretty funny to me.

Hyper Inferno posted:

As a new player, is there anything in particular I should focus on doing? I've been saving my gold so far because there's a new expansion coming and the game's still occasionally giving my free boosters of the current sets. I'm working my way through the story mode battles right now.

Finish the story battles, then finish the single-players battles against the elite 1&2 difficulties for lots of gold. Then figure out what kind of deck you want to play to get an idea of which packs you'll need to buy.

• Locked thread