Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

wizard on a water slide posted:

Games are entertainment products foremost, "it's fun" is the highest level positive

imagine i found the lowest rated video game on metacritic and said that it is "fun" and therefore immune to criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Transplanting the series' mythos into a barren galaxy, was maybe an unnecessarily ambitious task for the first major project of the rookie team.

They really didn't have a choice with it if they were going to make a game in the ME universe. All AAA publishers are gun-shy of new IPs, and ME was written into a corner with the Reaper storyline. I guess they could have revisited Jade Empire, instead of ME:A for their first project with that team? They probably would have hosed that up too though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They could have always explored a side story, if post ME3 was definitively off the table.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Rinkles posted:

Transplanting the series' mythos into a barren galaxy, was maybe an unnecessarily ambitious task for the first major project of the rookie team.

As a metaphor though, quite wonderful.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the lack of gay cgi butt poundin reminds me of that comic connor wilumsen did about how marvel doesnt let anything that could be interpreted as anal sex thru https://medium.com/the-nib/penetrating-rule-b49becdbf706#.29qbarz6e

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

they could have done a story set in the two year time gap between ME1 and ME2, for example

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I agree, a game being fun does not matter at all

Games are art, after all and must strive to *faaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They could have also just said "this is how ME3 ended, deal with it" and despite all Bioware fan protests, as Andromeda has most definitely shown us, they'll buy anything with Mass Effect on the cover anyway.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

They could have also just said "this is how ME3 ended, deal with it" and despite all Bioware fan protests, as Andromeda has most definitely shown us, they'll buy anything with Mass Effect on the cover anyway.

i'm willing to bet more bioware fans would buy a good ME game that went with a canon ME3 ending than ones who'll buy a clunky mess that goes to absurd lengths to avoid it (it's another galaxy, in the future!)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Rinkles posted:

This, from a review, is the sort of thing a lot of us were afraid of (and saw in Dragon Age Inquisition):

"What's missing most of all from Andromeda, though, is any genuine sense of exploration. In Andromeda, there are no indifferent gods to be found over the next hill, only more waypoints. Consequently, there's no reason to set off into uncharted territory because you know that a mission will send you there anyway. Andromeda has so little faith that you'll explore on your own that anything worth seeing in its cosmic wilds is clearly marked and integrated into some kind of quest chain.

I don't really understand how you saw that in Inquisition, unless you're including the specifically completionist collection quests (shards and mosaics), which seems a bit unfair. You can go through all DAI without exploring many of the areas at all, and they each their own little stories and treasure areas if you do. The trouble is that the stories are told via codex. Even if you're tolerant of that enough to find them interesting once, they have no replay value.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Milky Moor posted:

i'm willing to bet more bioware fans would buy a good ME game that went with a canon ME3 ending than ones who'll buy a clunky mess that goes to absurd lengths to avoid it (it's another galaxy, in the future!)

I'm having a hard time imagining the same person who looks at face_tired_lady.gif and says "hm yes, this is good to me" would never ever buy an ME4 that chose Destroy as its canon ending when they picked Control.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

the lack of gay cgi butt poundin reminds me of that comic connor wilumsen did about how marvel doesnt let anything that could be interpreted as anal sex thru https://medium.com/the-nib/penetrating-rule-b49becdbf706#.29qbarz6e

lol imagine writing all this

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

imagine i found the lowest rated video game on metacritic and said that it is "fun" and therefore immune to criticism

They never implied that it was immune to criticism, literally nowhere in the comment was that even implied, they just disputed that "fun" is the lowest possible praise. Is your argument so weak that you need to put words in their mouth?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xmaspast posted:

They never implied that it was immune to criticism,

Actually, they did.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Clawtopsy posted:

lol imagine writing all this

hes a sensitive boy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining the same person who looks at face_tired_lady.gif and says "hm yes, this is good to me" would never ever buy an ME4 that chose Destroy as its canon ending when they picked Control.

All they'd have to do is make it fun good.

Which, of course, seems like it'd be a tall order.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*watches why Andromeda is not as good as it should be over and over like the Zapruder Film.* You see the animation falls apart when he moves back and to the left

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Why do the idiots at bioware make me leave the planet and suffer through 2 pointless sequences if I just want to sell some stuff and do a bit of research before continuing exploration? ffs

There are research stations on Eos. Not sure about merchants.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

doingitwrong posted:

There's at least one merchant too

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

There are a bunch after you set up the outpost, and even before that there's a guy in the old settlement who'll set up shop once you save him from the Kett. So far it seems like every planet has merchants, research stations, and outfit nodes. They only thing I think you have to leave the surface for is spending AVP.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Without a Pathfinder we were helpless at space sudoku and killing kett. Now, please Pathfinder, assign our elite kett killing team a mission and then talk to our super genius research team.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hm I haven't played this yet but I have a feeling that finishing horizon zero dawn right before it is going to influence my impressions for the worse

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pinely posted:

Without a Pathfinder we were helpless at space sudoku and killing kett. Now, please Pathfinder, assign our elite kett killing team a mission and then talk to our super genius research team.

While it doesn't explain why the Pathfinder is so special, the game does at least establish why nothing has gotten done until you show up. All of the Nexus' settlement efforts went bust. They were running off emergency power and low on supplies until ark Hyperion showed up to help out. That's why when you first arrive, all the lights are off and anyone who isn't mission critical is still in stasis.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 21, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also the space Sudoku is only solvable because you have an AI which is able to quickly find and interface with the consoles

Peebee had been researching those things for years and hadn't been able to get that far.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

True, though that's more of a justification for why SAM is special. If anything, he's the real protagonist, and you're just the fleshy exoskeleton that carts him from one objective to another. I wonder if the game will ever mention that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pathfinders aren't special. Ryderdad had authority but he still had to argue with the ships captain in the intro. They're just the spearhead... An elite crew used specifically for the andromeda project to map, explore and find worlds to live on. Obviously in that context they are very important

So far in the game no one has treated me like a special snowflake. Everyone is basically "I hope you get your poo poo together and DO YOUR JOB GOOD"

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

NeurosisHead posted:

For those of you using a VPN to play, what's the trick to getting Origin to work with you? I'm VPN'd through South Korea, and the game shows as launched in Origin. But the play button is still inactive. I've tried both the update game and repair options, but still nothing. What's the secret?

There's no secret, it just works. Must be an issue on your end.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

exquisite tea posted:

You two keep making this point and I don't get it at all.

What about ME:A's many obvious flaws get solved by setting the game in some cannon post ME 3 ending? Does it fix the animations? The fetch quests? The uneven writing? The janky crafting? The planet scanning?

What makes a game good is almost completely unrelated to the opening premise. And whatever happens, the starting point is a blank slate of some kind that ignores player choice in previous games so that writing for the next game can be manageable. So why are you so upset that ME:A decided to do its blank slate in a new galaxy for a new colonizing/exploration story?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For people that don't want to do scanning for crafting materials:

The general shop at the Docking Bay in the Nexus sells stacks of 100 of (I think) all of them. The shop will reset its stock if you leave the area. So you can buy them out, travel to another part of the Nexus, travel back and they'll be restocked.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Am I the only one who thinks the whole needing a world to settle on thing would be have been solved if they had scanned maybe more than 7 planets in the same part of Andromeda? Scan millions of planets and just keep on trucking till you find one that isn't covered in hostile aliens turning them into hell holes. Then once you are settled break the Shepard clone out of cryo and go collect some heads.

All in all it doesn't feel any better or worse than any other AAA title that has been hyped up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BigPaddy posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the whole needing a world to settle on thing would be have been solved if they had scanned maybe more than 7 planets in the same part of Andromeda? Scan millions of planets and just keep on trucking till you find one that isn't covered in hostile aliens turning them into hell holes. Then once you are settled break the Shepard clone out of cryo and go collect some heads.

They say in the game that the worlds looked fine when they did scan them, so why scan for other worlds? They found their golden worlds. Something seems to have happened in the 600 years between then and now though

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

They scanned a ton of planets before the initiative set out, the seven they flagged were the only ones in the region that looked to be livable.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

imagine buying someone else an avatar to show that someone else how little you care about something :captainpop:

sorry you like the bad game, mystery avatar buyer!!

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
For reference, I'm enjoying the game, I just also enjoy how awkward the game is.

I'm director of the Nexus and under my watch we've had a mutiny, lost a colony, and lost the krogan. But, oh man, I'm real mad about you being an inexperienced Pathfinder.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BigPaddy posted:

All in all it doesn't feel any better or worse than any other AAA title that has been hyped up.

That's the plot of the beginning.

They did scan all of the worlds in that cluster of the Galaxy. Those worlds are the only ones they found that were able to sustain life.

In the ~600 years between when they scanned to when they arrived poo poo changed. And those worlds became less inhabitable. Which is why they were surprised that the planet they arrived at first looked so different.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Calling that crazy black space spaghetti that hosed up the planet a "dark energy cloud" was real dumb, though. Like, at least open a Wikipedia article and find a term that doesn't sound quite so silly.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Milky Moor posted:

imagine buying someone else an avatar to show that someone else how little you care about something :captainpop:

sorry you like the bad game, mystery avatar buyer!!

the funny thing that "stop disliking what i like" is equally valid

people can like or dislike things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can someone in spoiler tags tell me what happens at the end of the game so ic an move on with my life. Tyia.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh. Pretty sure while being hosed up by said "dark energy cloud" the characters probably don't care(or know) about naming the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

euphronius posted:

Can someone in spoiler tags tell me what happens at the end of the game so ic an move on with my life. Tyia.

yr dad comes down from the clouds and takes u with him in2 the kingdom of heaven