Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The non-security network admin in my office just went home to India for a month long vacation and apparently did CEH in his spare time in two weeks while there. Not sure what this adds to the conversation but I guess there's one data point for how approachable it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Spambort posted:

hmm, so if I have some decent helpdesk experience and a CCNA R&S cert, it wouldnt be a bad idea to pad it with an A+ or N+ cert to land interviews? I was looking forward at doing a MSCA 2008 stuff but thats down the line looking at networking / jr admin stuff. most already require citrix,vpn,voip stuff (any suggestions on learning/proving i learn those things?)

If you already have an IT job and your CCNA, the A+ and N+ are a complete waste of time. They're more entry level than the skills you've already demonstrated. Job descriptions are a wishlist and almost no one ticks every box. If a job looks interesting to you and you can do many but not all of the "requirements", just apply.

What do you want to do? If you want to get into server admin, sure, head for MCSA or RHCSA. If you are digging networking, keep doing it and start on the CCNP. Or another CCNA in security or voip. It's time to start specializing a bit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've got my A+ and am about to get my Network+. Looking for getting some sort of database cert next.

Can someone either explain to me how exactly the SQL and Oracle certs work, or point me to a site that does it well? The Microsoft and Oracle sites aren't really clear about what's what; like, for SQL, should I be looking at the MTA, or should I be skipping straight towards the MCSA?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Since noone answered my query about the quality of the Cisco Press Odom CCENT/CCNA prep books, I just wanted to throw this out there. I went through about half the CCENT material in the Lammle book before switching to the Odom. The Odom book has waaaaaaaay better materials included in it. The book is dryer and longer but ultimately seems to get the concepts across better. Lammle gives you access to the Sybex/Wiley online test banks which suck really hard for a multitude of reasons I've already bitched about. I haven't played with the attached simulators for either yet, but just speaking from chapters/practice questions, Odom is the superior product. I hope this helps someone that may have been wondering. I'm sure the Lammle book has worked for some but I've seen several people on tech exam forums complaining that they wished they had skipped it and gone straight to the Cisco Press stuff.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

CEH is like OSCP-lite with a bunch of Sec+ stuff thrown in.

Is CEH worth it to get started in the security field? I thought OSCP was regarded highly?

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

Docjowles posted:

If you already have an IT job and your CCNA, the A+ and N+ are a complete waste of time. They're more entry level than the skills you've already demonstrated. Job descriptions are a wishlist and almost no one ticks every box. If a job looks interesting to you and you can do many but not all of the "requirements", just apply.

What do you want to do? If you want to get into server admin, sure, head for MCSA or RHCSA. If you are digging networking, keep doing it and start on the CCNP. Or another CCNA in security or voip. It's time to start specializing a bit.
I should not i'm not currently employed, just have a good amount of experience. & i'm unsure if I'd want to focus on network or server administration, I'm pretty experienced/comfortable with networking & I think server stuff is cool but i think i'd have to experience a bad day to see if i'd still enjoy it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

Is CEH worth it to get started in the security field? I thought OSCP was regarded highly?
Worth is relative. I passed my CEH exam this morning and without the printout even giving a score other than "Pass" to know how I did, I felt it was relatively straightforward. It's essentially a small step above Sec+ with a lot more focus on individual tools like NMAP and things like knowing what Maltego or Nessus are used for. You should also be prepared to look at screen output and determine what is going on, type of attack, type of scan etc.. I read the Sybex study guide once but most of the material I'd say I already knew.

Getting the cert serves two purposes that I can tell, HR/recruiter keyword filter once you throw it up on LinkedIn as plenty of infosec postings list it among their "desired" certifications along with CISSP, CISA, GCIH, et al. The second is why my job is paying for it since they bid on DoD contracts and any "Network Defense" role in DoD essentially requires it, per 8570. I wouldn't pay the $800 for this myself but taking a relatively easy cert for free with potential job hunting benefits down the line is definitely worth it.

OSCP is probably not in the same stratosphere as you don't actually need the knowledge to root servers for the CEH.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Diva Cupcake posted:

OSCP is probably not in the same stratosphere as you don't actually need the knowledge to root servers for the CEH.

Agree. CEH only proves that you have heard of a thing and can talk about it. OSCP proves that you can do a thing, and have done it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tiny posted:

Agree. CEH only proves that you have heard of a thing and can talk about it. OSCP proves that you can do a thing, and have done it.

Yeah basically.

I don't think CEH is worth it unless you're being required to get it for a current position or your employer/school is paying for it. Security+ will do the same thing for you.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Since noone answered my query about the quality of the Cisco Press Odom CCENT/CCNA prep books...

I posted a bit about it back in December. I found both books were pretty necessary, but I used very little of the extra side content. I mostly used my own lab task flashcards and practiced a lot in GNS3/Packet Tracer.

ErIog posted:

Yes, that's the right book, and as a recent buyer of his 200-105 book due to getting real skittish about the exam content I have to say that it's well worth the money. He goes into detail about stuff Odom doesn't bother to touch while collapsing other content that Odom spends way too much time on.

I can't complain enough about Odom's OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6 chapters where he appears to have written it targeting people who don't know what a router is. So you comb through all this loving OSPF and EIGRP info that's the same as their IPv4 counterparts and come away with a list of like 5 major differences for both. I hope he steps on a Lego.

I'm sure everything will be better in another year or so when there's more updated study materials, but everything about all the new CCNA R/S v3 content just feels shaky.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

I posted a bit about it back in December. I found both books were pretty necessary, but I used very little of the extra side content. I mostly used my own lab task flashcards and practiced a lot in GNS3/Packet Tracer.

Right on, I appreciate you reiterating that for me. I will keep your advice in mind.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I have virtually no security expertise and ended up in an IAM/PKI environment so I'd like to get some entry level knowledge first.

Employer is paying for CEH, I understand it's just theory and just shows I've read/memorized some stuff. I'd love to do OSCP but I think that's a bit further down the line.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tiny posted:

.. and CISSP proves that you are high enough in your company that someone is willing to pay for your bootcamp.

:whatup:

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Martytoof posted:

.. and CISSP proves that you are high enough in your company that someone is willing to pay for your bootcamp.

I wish they would have sent me to a bootcamp! Once I get CISSP, my work has said they'll start sending me to SANS courses so at least that's something.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Martytoof posted:

Truth.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Solaron posted:

I wish they would have sent me to a bootcamp! Once I get CISSP, my work has said they'll start sending me to SANS courses so at least that's something.

That would definitely be motivation enough for me to get CISSP. My current boss says he doesn't really care one way or the other so I get much more interesting training choices.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Realized I've been studying for 200-105 for over a month! Still so much to go.

I've been making my own Anki deck as I go along, does anybody know of a good resource with premade decks? I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

Also how important are knowing acronyms on these test? I feel like half my deck is just remembering what stuff stands for

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Welp. Scheduled my CISSP exam for the 28th.

Full reads on the Sybex 7th Ed, Conrad 11th Hour, watched the Cybrary video series, and I'm currently testing in the low-mid 80s on the Sybex Official Practice book questions and the CCCure test engine.

If I cant pass by now I might as well kill myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Full reads on the Sybex 7th Ed, Conrad 11th Hour, watched the Cybrary video series, and I'm currently testing in the low-mid 80s on the Sybex Official Practice book questions and the CCCure test engine.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. 11th Hour seemed to cover most everything I remember on my exam.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I feel the need to bring my Windows certs back up to date, starting from scratch just for my own knowledge and in the event that I need to find a new job in the next couple years. Is the current iteration of MCSA fairly standard again and most people still work toward the MCSE?

I was working toward MCSE in the past but stopped at MCSA because it was all I needed for what I've been doing for a long time (I wasn't required to get the MCSE so didn't see the point in the extra time and cost). What am I getting myself into, time wise, for self study assuming I'm working with Windows 10/Server 2012 R2 on a daily basis and I've been doing this for a while? What's the recommended line of books for these exams?

For people working as sys admins/managers in Microsoft environments, anything else you'd recommend? My CCNA lapsed but I work with Cisco products everyday and it wouldn't be hard for me to refresh myself so that I could get a pretty good score on a skills exam.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 21, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Getting ready for my first test in the CCNP Collaboration. The testing centers near me helpfully have open hours only between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm Monday through Thursday.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Came here to post something similar! I'm scheduled for my CISSP exam on 4/11.

I've read Sybex 7th ed, taken 1 Transcender exam (76%), read back up on where I was weak, took my first ISC2 practice exam (80%) and I'm in the process of taking the 100 question domain specific questions in the book now, before I take the 2nd practice exam. I have 11th Hour that I read once, at the very beginning, and I will read again before the test. I'm not sure where I should be testing before I feel any actual amount of comfort. Mostly it's anxiety right now, since if I don't pass I eat that $600 bucks.

I bought the ExamCram book on CISSP as well. Not sure how valuable it is, but I'm trying to cover all my bases and read everything I can that won't put me to sleep like Shon Harris does.

Good luck on your exam! Let us know how you do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I feel the need to bring my Windows certs back up to date, starting from scratch just for my own knowledge and in the event that I need to find a new job in the next couple years. Is the current iteration of MCSA fairly standard again and most people still work toward the MCSE?

I was working toward MCSE in the past but stopped at MCSA because it was all I needed for what I've been doing for a long time (I wasn't required to get the MCSE so didn't see the point in the extra time and cost). What am I getting myself into, time wise, for self study assuming I'm working with Windows 10/Server 2012 R2 on a daily basis and I've been doing this for a while? What's the recommended line of books for these exams?

For people working as sys admins/managers in Microsoft environments, anything else you'd recommend? My CCNA lapsed but I work with Cisco products everyday and it wouldn't be hard for me to refresh myself so that I could get a pretty good score on a skills exam.

I've seen some of the stuff they tested for the 2012 MCSE. It serves you well to get the MCSE if you're in a pure Microsoft environment, at least if my exposure to the server admin track has shown. The MCSE components are all SCVMM and Hyper-V all the way up and down the stack.

I don't think it'd be bad to have the MCSE but I found that I benefited more from the VCP-DCV510 for virtualization and the MCSA for 2012.

I'm presently studying for the 2016 MCSA and I can confirm that it's more of the same. Cloud, cloud, cloud. Hyper-convergence is now more possible and doable on a Microsoft stack but it's full of things that probably won't happen outside of giant companies or cloud providers. Plus the idea of running Docker in Windows is probably something that's going to flummox everyone who would probably otherwise use Docker.

I used the MS Press book to upgrade my 2008R2 MCSA to 2012 before R2 dropped, and the 70-417 book did a very good job of teaching the entirety of the content that was tested. I can't say the same for the 2016 book - there's too many "this is covered in this Technet article" rather than putting it in the book, because the book is based on 2016 Technical Preview 5 rather than RTM. That plus a lot of spelling and grammar errors make the book look rushed out the door, which is probably the case.

If you're not at 2012 MCSA, do the upgrade. If you're already 2012/2012R2, hold off until better prep materials come along or until 2016R2 prep materials come out.

Get on the Stanly VCP waitlist if you intend to take the VCP exams. If nothing else, successfully completing the course opens up the option to take the exams down the road. https://www.stanly.edu/future-students/continuing-education/technology-courses/vmware-vsphere-install-configure-manage

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

Getting ready for my first test in the CCNP Collaboration. The testing centers near me helpfully have open hours only between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm Monday through Thursday.

Do you have regular CCNP R&S? I am studying SWITCH right now, I have INE, Chris Bryants video and the OSG.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Do you have regular CCNP R&S? I am studying SWITCH right now, I have INE, Chris Bryants video and the OSG.

I do not, I do basically zero R&S at this point in time other than stuff like Call Manager Express.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

I do not, I do basically zero R&S at this point in time other than stuff like Call Manager Express.

Wow, I thought the R&S track would be the bread and butter before going sideways!

I have CCNA R&S and CCNA Data Center, DC can go gently caress itself right off though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Well I have CCNA R&S of course but I barely use it at all as I am 100% collaboration voip focused. CCENT is a prereq for any other CCNA track including voice/collab.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done the Microsoft exams where you take it in your own location with your own gear?

I'm iffy about it because with the at-home method, you can't take notes, whereas test centers allow a whiteboard. It's handy to just dump down a list of ports that you cribbed just before going in so you have some basics, if needed.

Gonna have to do some weird scheduling because all the NYC test centers seem to only do AM hours, yay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

Gonna have to do some weird scheduling because all the NYC test centers seem to only do AM hours, yay.

That's whack. I know they're hard to schedule in the afternoon because they give you what, 3 or 3 1/2 hours for the exam, so if the join closes at 5 the latest you could schedule is like 1:30. I try to schedule mine around 10 or 11, as I'm not a morning person.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Picked up Project+ today. Pure vocabulary, abbreviations, and processes of "what would you do FIRST or NEXT??" Still a hard test though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Picked up Project+ today. Pure vocabulary, abbreviations, and processes of "what would you do FIRST or NEXT??" Still a hard test though.

I think I forgot everything I learned for that exam as soon as I passed it. Needed it for WGU though.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skipdogg posted:

Needed it for WGU though.

Same. Though I do run a lot of projects now so knowing what goes into a charter is a great way to intimidate people to back down on their "simple requests".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone take the Server 2016 tests yet? What's the general feeling on them?

I hated the 2012 tests. Are 2016 more of the same?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone take the Server 2016 tests yet? What's the general feeling on them?

I hated the 2012 tests. Are 2016 more of the same?

There's lots of Powershell to know but I'm hoping it's just a matter of understanding what the new nouns are and when to use add/set/invoke as the verb.

Big new features in the Network Controller feature, expansions to remote access (which will probably never be seen in the real world), and Docker seem to be really big in the 2016 book.

Hold out for better prep books unless your company is paying for the official MS course.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
What's the go-to for simulators for Cisco certs? I know Boson is used quite a bit, are the Pearson products any good?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

beepsandboops posted:

What's the go-to for simulators for Cisco certs? I know Boson is used quite a bit, are the Pearson products any good?

If you have access to IOS images, GNS3 is free and very good, you just need a chunk of CPU and RAM adequate for it.

If you take Cisco Academy classes, you'll use a program called Packet Tracer that is a simulator good enough for CCNA level stuff.

Cisco also sells time on a web-accessed simulator called Cisco Learning Labs that comes with exercises and such.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You can actually (legally!) just get Packet Tracer for free now by signing up for some dumb free tutorial.

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. 11th Hour seemed to cover most everything I remember on my exam.

Solaron posted:

Came here to post something similar! I'm scheduled for my CISSP exam on 4/11.

Good luck on your exam! Let us know how you do.
Passed CISSP today! :toot: Took about 4.5 hours with 1 snack break around halfway through and minimal review because I was just done with sitting there.

I don't think the questions were out of line with anything I saw on the official Sybex Practice Tests or on CCCure, which I did around 2000 questions on combined. I was testing in the 70s after just Conrad 11th Hour and in the low-mid 80s after the reading the Official Sybex. I brushed through the Sunflower cram sheet last night even though it's the old CBK. They dont tell you your score but I would assume I was somewhere in that low-80 range on the actual exam.

Think I'm going to start doing prep work on skills needed for OSCP now.

Good luck on yours, Solaron.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great job! When I walked out of the exam I was probably 50/50 on whether I passed and it wasn't until I saw the "Congratulations!" that I managed to breathe right.

Also my endorsement took about 40 days so you want to get that in ASAP.

I'm also starting OSCP although now work wants me to do CCSP in October so I'm thinking I may put OSCP off until next year to strategically stockpile CPEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Passed CISSP today! :toot: Took about 4.5 hours with 1 snack break around halfway through and minimal review because I was just done with sitting there.

I don't think the questions were out of line with anything I saw on the official Sybex Practice Tests or on CCCure, which I did around 2000 questions on combined. I was testing in the 70s after just Conrad 11th Hour and in the low-mid 80s after the reading the Official Sybex. I brushed through the Sunflower cram sheet last night even though it's the old CBK. They dont tell you your score but I would assume I was somewhere in that low-80 range on the actual exam.

Think I'm going to start doing prep work on skills needed for OSCP now.

Good luck on yours, Solaron.

Awesome - congratulations! I've been getting really anxious about it. I'm doing mid-80s on my Transcender exams and between 79-83 on my 2 Sybex exams, but some of the individual domain chapter tests have been in mid 70s. I read so many stories online about people who thought they were ready and failed it the first time (or two). I've been studying/testing/studying ~3 hours per day for the last week, but every time I get comfortable I come across a term or question that doesn't ring a bell. We'll see in a little less than 2 weeks!

I did grab the Sunflower sheets after seeing them mentioned here and I really like them for organizing some of these big concepts and breaking them out into the important stuf.f