Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love it when they comically fly out of the frame. At least he was wearing the mask!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why, though? Does that transformer contain a crapload of potassium for some reason?

Could be the camera CCD picking up too much IR.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I love it when they comically fly out of the frame. At least he was wearing the mask!

In some movie universes whatever is out of frame doesn't exist that includes stuff that just left the frame. Not in the picture doesn't exist. That's how you gotta watch the movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I remembered the wrench in this photo being larger than it is

I'm surprised you remembered there's a wrench in that picture.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He wears those trousers better than Jennifer Love-Hewitt though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GotLag posted:

Could be the camera CCD picking up too much IR.

The guy who posted the video says that it was that colour to the naked eye too, not just on camera.

I think the colour might be because it was just that hot. Remember that this isn't a normal fire, there's a bunch of extra energy being dumped in by the arcs.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 20, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I could use a man like him to properly​ screw my nuts .

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

The guy who posted the video says that it was that colour to the naked eye too, not just on camera.

I think the colour might be because it was just that hot. Remember that this isn't a normal fire, there's a bunch of extra energy being dumped in by the arcs.

That colour of purple is essentially the same as you get from a sustained electrical arc in air (I've done some pretty OSHA things with a CRT flyback transformer) so my guess is there is a bunch of scary arcing going on as a result of damage.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
It's due to air molecules being split apart and recombining, right? Nitrogen would be the primary source of the color in that case.

Lightning does the same thing, producing other chemicals like N2O when the radicals recombine. I wonder if electric arcs can produce a toxic atmosphere as well. Ozone, certainly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

I wonder if electric arcs can produce a toxic atmosphere as well. Ozone, certainly.

Absolutely. Let it arc long enough and you won't want to breathe the resulting atmosphere (even after it cools down).

SillyOldBag
Nov 6, 2009

if it aint swole then punch the tip and twist it

The Lone Badger posted:

Absolutely. Let it arc long enough and you won't want to breathe the resulting atmosphere (even after it cools down).

I think it's ozone plasma being generated by arcing. Ozone is created when the air reaches breakdown voltage and an arc passes through, and ozone plasma glows purple.

e: Can't be an EE without loving the smell of ozone, mmmmm.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

lurklurklurk posted:

I think it's ozone plasma being generated by arcing. Ozone is created when the air reaches breakdown voltage and an arc passes through, and ozone plasma glows purple.

e: Can't be an EE without loving the smell of ozone, mmmmm.

You are now entering the O-zone (OSHA zone)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

You are now entering the O-zone (OSHA zone)

One might even say that the zone will be one of danger.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An area of peril, if you like.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

solarNativity posted:

But how would you phrase it?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Like.. Like we're on the Autobahn to the Hazard Area?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

solarNativity posted:

Prepare to enter.... the Scary Door.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

OOOOoooooohhh, look at that weird mirror!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Great, now we're all secretly Hitler.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

wyoming posted:

Found some pre-OSHA fun.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Finally, something PETA can be happy with.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

BattleMaster posted:

That colour of purple is essentially the same as you get from a sustained electrical arc in air (I've done some pretty OSHA things with a CRT flyback transformer) so my guess is there is a bunch of scary arcing going on as a result of damage.

Potassium Nitrate, which is used in molten salt baths for transformers, also burns with a violet flame.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tiger Crushed by Excavator in Horrific End to Human–Wildlife Conflict

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Tiger wasn't wearing an approved high-vis garment at the time in an obvious works zone.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would have put money down on the Tiger winning. I don't know why it didn't eat the highly visible meat bags instead of having canned food.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Are they not in possession of tranquilizer dart technology?

I'd have preferred to see the Tiger eat those idiots if thats the best they can do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vanagoon posted:

I'd have preferred to see the Tiger eat those idiots if thats the best they can do.

The article says they tranquilized the tiger first. Tranquilizers don't always work consistently or quickly.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Vanagoon posted:

And why dont we launch our garbage into the sun? And whats the deal with...

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Imagine the fuckin' guy's bones all feeble and brittle because he doesn't understand the SHEER GODDAMNED VALUE of drinking milk regularly, to fortify your most powerful hidden weapon and ally: Your fuckin' skelebones. You got this guy twisting in the wind, he doesn't know why he's like this! Nobody does! He can barely wobble away as his particle board skeletal structure fractures and splits under the impact pressure of a light gust. Three days later he wakes up in a hospital bed, his skeleton replaced by a series of pneumatic bladders, his life a new fresh hell.

Drink your drat milk you ignominious loving scoundrels.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e:f;b

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 21, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

that looks like the range on blue diamond road. the last time i was there it was simply "here's the gun, here's the bullets, you're on number 2"

They demonstrated how to shoot the mac 10 and the gun felt like it was going to fall apart and touching the trigger once unloaded the whole magazine immediately. i would imagine if someone wasn't holding it properly it would spin through the air as it unloaded itself.

the one on flamingo was like 50 bucks for 12 bullets for the revolver. this one was $20 for a box of ammo that by the time i was done, i really didn't want to shoot anymore because the gun was a little too small for my hands.

so OSHA as hell, but much cheaper so that's probably the one i'd go back to. You might die but $20 is $20.

I met some of my buddies from back home in Vegas and it took about five tries to find a place that would let us shoot our own 223. All they seemed interested in was renting machine guns and .22.

The place we did find was nice though and had a competent range officer at hand and pretty reasonably priced.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rear end-Haggis posted:

his skeleton replaced by a series of pneumatic bladders, his life a new fresh hell.
Kif?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese Building Demolishing Job, Safety is #1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a5_1490075725

:nws: cause liveleak.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

They broke my watch.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

Chinese Building Demolishing Job, Safety is #1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a5_1490075725

:nws: cause liveleak.

I'm impressed that the impact from dropping that section didn't just pancake the floor underneath and take everything with it.

Obviously the reason they're demolishing the thing is because someone messed up and used actual concrete and rebar when the design clearly called for plaster over sand and garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I used to live in China, and one of the local coworkers told me that the main reason for all the new construction was because a large number of Chinese people would prefer not to live in a house or apartment that has ever been lived in before. Something about energies or feng shui. So an apartment building will go up, everybody moves in, and then as people move out the apartments sit empty until the whole thing is abandoned, where they tear it down and rebuild a new one in its place so it can fill up again.

With that construction cycle, it doesn't really make sense to build something to last more than five years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The japanese detached housing market is pretty much like that. Large apartments and such are built to last (although are all generally extremely ugly, seriously japan has some of the worst just don't give a gently caress architecture) but detached houses are mostly built to just last for how ever long the family lives there. Regardless of the condition people will often tear down a house they bought then throw up a new one because otherwise ewww you're living in someone else's house that's like wearing 2nd hand underwear.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

The japanese detached housing market is pretty much like that. Large apartments and such are built to last (although are all generally extremely ugly, seriously japan has some of the worst just don't give a gently caress architecture) but detached houses are mostly built to just last for how ever long the family lives there. Regardless of the condition people will often tear down a house they bought then throw up a new one because otherwise ewww you're living in someone else's house that's like wearing 2nd hand underwear.

Zoning laws in Japan are also *much* simpler than they are in the USA, so builders have a lot more flexibility.

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html
https://www.ft.com/content/023562e2-54a6-11e6-befd-2fc0c26b3c60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baronjutter posted:

That sounds like a mind boggling waste of time and resources :psyduck: