Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of Nier/Horizon/Zelda I think I am most excited to play Nier, but given that I'm conditioned to never ever pay full price/$60 for a video game at this point and I already of course have plenty on my plate I can already tell it's going to be like 2018 before I get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lurdiak posted:

The list of bugs and design issues keeps shrinking, but there are still some outstanding big ones....

What are big ones to look out for before buying now?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The list of bugs and design issues keeps shrinking, but there are still some outstanding big ones....

"Fixed excessive AI "back-off" Holy gently caress thank God. This poo poo pissed me off SO badly.

BexGu posted:

Well, not telling you what a single loving item does before you buy it is a glaring omission, but luckily you can alt-shift out of steam and see the guides for all that right there.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Of Nier/Horizon/Zelda I think I am most excited to play Nier, but given that I'm conditioned to never ever pay full price/$60 for a video game at this point and I already of course have plenty on my plate I can already tell it's going to be like 2018 before I get around to it.

If you have Amazon prime, you should still be able to get the 20% discount on a physical copy until tomorrow...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

If you have Amazon prime, you should still be able to get the 20% discount on a physical copy until tomorrow...
20% is not exactly breaking the bank when you're starting from $60, but even with Prime it still says like $57.49 when I add it to my cart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I have a relatively new PC with a bigdeal slammin' video card. What are some games that'll showcase the technical power of a PC but also be fun? New tomb raider was okay and overwatch is cool but what else is there? Is witcher 3 as good as everyone says? I have it but couldn't really bring myself to even fire it up after the underwhelming and boring/tedious experience I had with the first 3-5 hours of witcher 2.

The Witcher 3 is massively improved over the previous two.

My advice: don't get bogged down in either the main story or side quests, if you play it. What I mean is, don't feel like you have to blitz either. Take your time and only do the things you find fun in the moment. It's easy to burn out on such a big game if you feel like you need to chase down every single side quests. Side quests don't even give very much XP in Witcher 3--most of your XP comes from the main quest.

That said, the side quests and the DLC are often where the best stories are, too. The Witcher shines best as a concept and setting when it's small-scale, and the Hearts of Stone expansion is probably one of the best-written stories I've ever seen in a game.

Also the game is significantly harder when you start out than it will ever be again, until you get a hang of dodging and blocking when you need to, and using bombs and signs all the time. Feel free to turn down the difficulty at the start if you find it frustrating--it isn't the most fluid combat system, in my opinion--because you can always turn it back up later when you start to get really powerful and versatile.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BexGu posted:

The major issues right now are the way the AI works, which is overly defensive and tends to force you to focus on hit and run tactics and has a bit too much input reading in the late game, and the fact that some of the combo strings on 2 of the 8 playable characters are busted.

Here's an example of a busted string:

https://vimeo.com/205798237

That kick just refuses to connect half the time, and when it does, the enemies don't stay stunned long enough for the elbow to land. That's not me trying anything fancy, it's one of the character's built-in dial-a-combos, so there's no way this sort of thing should be happening.

Aside from that, all the major bugs have been fixed. The only ones that remain are really situational C-class stuff like screen transitions knocking you down if you run into them under very specific conditions, or this hat going batshit insane:

https://vimeo.com/206370203

MinibarMatchman posted:

"Fixed excessive AI "back-off" Holy gently caress thank God. This poo poo pissed me off SO badly.

They still do it more than I'd like, but sometimes they'll just stand there and take it instead, so it's progress. More AI fixes are coming, so hopefully enemies will be reading inputs a bit less in the late game in future patches.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the problem is if you make the ai too good then it becomes self aware. dangerous tightrope to walk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I have a relatively new PC with a bigdeal slammin' video card. What are some games that'll showcase the technical power of a PC but also be fun? New tomb raider was okay and overwatch is cool but what else is there? Is witcher 3 as good as everyone says? I have it but couldn't really bring myself to even fire it up after the underwhelming and boring/tedious experience I had with the first 3-5 hours of witcher 2.

For pure graphics, Battlefield One is probably the single best looking game out there, though it's definitely a Battlefield game when it comes to the gameplay. Other, unmentioned lookers I can think of include Forza Horizon 3, Shadow Warrior 2, Deus Ex MD, Elite Dangerous, and, uh, Brigador.

OK, Brigador isn't actually a technical powerhouse but everyone should play it regardless.

E: Oh, how could I forget about Mad Max!

EE: Oh yeah, and Total Warhammer, check that one out for the scale of it.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 21, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Hell if i know, it's one of the most critically beloved manga and anime series around. I think there's a problematic teacher-student crush or something?
sakura has a crush on a teacher but it isn't really ever taken that seriously, and syaoran's cousin wants to marry him but they're chinese nobility and also the whole arc there is her realizing that he doesn't feel that way about her and going 'yeah it was just a childish crush anyway' so neither is that big a deal

not to mention in both cases they're, like, 12, and 12 year old girls get weird unsustainable crushes all the time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also total war warhammer is very good

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Do you like strategy games? The Total War series is a good technical showpiece. Shogun 2 still looks great and is heavily discounted during Steam sales.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

total war warhammer looks fantastic but I think its more CPU intensive so if you are like me and got a great card and only a decent CPU you wont be able to max everything out. still looks pretty great though

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I dunno if I've got some graphics settings wrong in Total Warhams or not, but there's something off about the color when I'm zooomed out, like it seems like there's fog or something making all the unit's color palettes really dull, and hard to identify visually. Looks fine zoomed in though?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/843734149894758401?s=09

That's a lot of question marks.

E: and exclamation points.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

look if i wanted to consume media both about and targeted to 12 year olds i'd play videogames

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a kitten posted:

isn't that westerado

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

look if i wanted to consume media both about and targeted to 12 year olds i'd play videogames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP65T4maF6s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was cool at AGDQ this year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best cardcaptor sakura game is the one where you play as sakura's best friend trying to take pictures of her magical girl adventures and it just plays like pokemon snap

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

I'd like to recommend bigMooney06 on YouTube as he has a series of "kill EVERYONE" challenges in Hitman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2LKI6fiFY8

Hopefully you don't mind angry Scottish(?) commentary

Malek fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 21, 2017

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The new Story of Seasons is so much better than the last one. It's Harvest Moon under a new name so if you like those games definitely give it a shot. My only complaint as always is that the characters all look super young but are supposed to be in their 20s, I'm guessing that's just an anime thing though since the ones I've played in the series have always been that way.

There's a lot less running everywhere, farming feels much simpler, although I did like the gimmick in the last one where you competed for different fields.

I have a llama that looks like Elvis with his silly pompadour. :3: good relaxing game

I also picked up Soda Dungeon, free on steam. It's basically a skinner box but you're not bothered to pay for poo poo. You hire adventurers from a tavern, upgrade the tavern to attract better adventurers, and dungeon crawl for gear and money. Good way to kill time, but if you're looking for quality, Darkest Dungeon does the same thing but better.

Oh yeah last thing I got recently is an app for smartphones, it's called Habitica. It's a to-do list with a little game attached. If you're like me and tend to forget the million tiny things you gotta do, I recommend giving it a shot. I've been using it to divvy up my spring cleaning projects into smaller, more manageable goals.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 21, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

Like, eventually? 90+%. There's almost no game I start that I won't get to the end of. The exceptions are anything just egregiously bad (Paper Sorcerer, Tales of Zestiria) or if I run into bugs that straight up prevent me from progressing even if I like the game (Voidspire Tactics, Paper Sorcerer), or I'm just incompatible as a player with the way the game is designed (Darkest Dungeon, Dark Souls ..., paper sorcerer).

If something doesn't fall under those umbrellas, there's a good chance that I'll get around to seeing the ending, even if it takes a year or two.

What I'm gathering here is that Paper Sorcerer is a great game everybody should play and finish.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

The new Story of Seasons is so much better than the last one. It's Harvest Moon under a new name so if you like those games definitely give it a shot. My only complaint as always is that the characters all look super young but are supposed to be in their 20s, I'm guessing that's just an anime thing though since the ones I've played in the series have always been that way.

What's this, Trio of Towns?

I've been meaning to go back to HM: A New Beginning, but I got burned out by the first Spring. I got the blacksmith, and then that's it. I know it's supposed to get better, but I just haven't gotten back to it.

I just want a remastered HM64 with a few new things added.

Majora's Mask 3D is great. I thought Odolwa was creepier on the N64. I'm working on getting the Goron mask now.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faf9hMAqCfs

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

What I'm gathering here is that Paper Sorcerer is a great game everybody should play and finish.

It's an average rpg with mad style. Fun concept(i personally love playing as monsters), neat art direction, and pretty good music.
https://youtu.be/GUnLxr_28rs

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

What's this, Trio of Towns?

I've been meaning to go back to HM: A New Beginning, but I got burned out by the first Spring. I got the blacksmith, and then that's it. I know it's supposed to get better, but I just haven't gotten back to it.

I just want a remastered HM64 with a few new things added.

Majora's Mask 3D is great. I thought Odolwa was creepier on the N64. I'm working on getting the Goron mask now.

Yeah! I didn't play the 64 one so I can't compare unfortunately. Like the name suggests, this one has three towns in it, and you work on raising your relationship with the towns while doing normal HM stuff. The towns are bizarre parodies. There's an American town with a bald eagle that walks on the ground, which is normal in the US for sure, a Japanese town with a bucktoothed dude running it (wtf Japan lol), and a general Hawaii/Indian esque town that also has elephants instead of a horse drawn carriage for some reason, once you unlock fast travel.

I thought all of the marriage candidates had much more interesting dialogue and back stories this time. You still can't marry your own sex but you can cross dress if you want to get gay married.

Oh and there's a gently caress ton of dogs both around the map and ones that you can buy. You can have a whole lot of dogs if you want. So many.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

Yeah! I didn't play the 64 one so I can't compare unfortunately. Like the name suggests, this one has three towns in it, and you work on raising your relationship with the towns while doing normal HM stuff. The towns are bizarre parodies. There's an American town with a bald eagle that walks on the ground, which is normal in the US for sure, a Japanese town with a bucktoothed dude running it (wtf Japan lol), and a general Hawaii/Indian esque town that also has elephants instead of a horse drawn carriage for some reason, once you unlock fast travel.

I thought all of the marriage candidates had much more interesting dialogue and back stories this time. You still can't marry your own sex but you can cross dress if you want to get gay married.

Oh and there's a gently caress ton of dogs both around the map and ones that you can buy. You can have a whole lot of dogs if you want. So many.

The only HM like 64 is Back To Nature/Friends of Mineral Town.

HM64's "gimmick" was that it was in 3D on the 64.

It gave you 4 years to make your farm great. Beyond that, it was mostly hands-on learning-by-doing. Everyone is praising Breath of the Wild right now for going back to the "learning by doing" style of the original Zelda, which was the charm of HM64.

Most of the "innovations" of the series has really just bogged it down by complicating what made it fun in the first place: farming, making friends with the townspeople and earning events, getting married, upgrading your farm, etc.

I want a HM that keeps the simple play style of 64, but with a bunch of events I can earn through multiple replays, a bunch of animals, a bunch of plants, some secret areas, etc. I don't want to fight in dungeons to grow the best fruit in five towns to make the goddess of the island happy so the tree will grow.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm back from vacation and I've given up on reading through all the posts from the last week. Are games still good/bad? Is everyone doing alright? Is anime still blood?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm back from vacation and I've given up on reading through all the posts from the last week. Are games still good/bad? Is everyone doing alright? Is anime still blood?

Anime is more of a lifestyle than anything else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Games are blood and anime is good/bad.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ah I gotcha. I dunno if you'd like this one then, I mean there's no combat at all (I didn't know any of them had that!) but it's more complex than I think you're looking for. Maybe read about it online or watch a video and see. There is a new game + mode but I don't think it changes anything, you just get more starting options.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Games right now are really good

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Games right now are really good

Heck, I agree

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Spider Covets posted:

Ah I gotcha. I dunno if you'd like this one then, I mean there's no combat at all (I didn't know any of them had that!) but it's more complex than I think you're looking for. Maybe read about it online or watch a video and see. There is a new game + mode but I don't think it changes anything, you just get more starting options.

The Harvest Moon team created Rune Factory, which is basically Harvest Moon with RPG dungeons. They've gotten rave reviews, but I haven't been pulled in by them.

Since the teams have split up, they may be going back to basics, so it may be good. A New Beginning wasn't bad, the tutorial season was just monotonous.

You should really try to find a way to play HM64, though. It's held up very well.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Good to hear. I left my Vita at home and only had my iPad for games while I was away (which is good; I've spent too many vacations with my nose in a handheld). I downloaded Ticket To Earth for the trip home and it was a real good way to spend the time. It's a puzzle RPG about moving your character to match tiles to boost your attack and activate special abilities. Aside from one mission at the start of the second chapter, nothing seemed too unfair and failing a mission wasn't a big loss. It's $4 at the moment and it's secured a cozy spot next to Steamworld Heist in my tablet's library.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far I'm enjoying Andromeda way more than I thought I would. It does take quite a bit from Inquisition and apply it to ME - but in a good way; for example loot is back, and if you find new guns/armor in the wild you can immediately equip them which makes the lack of in-mission gear-switching not quite so bad, though it's still a weird decision to take that away. The main hub has a lot of sidequesting and exploration much like ME1's opening. There are lots of people to talk to if that's your thing, some of them are funny and some are "funny". A woman just now said "His heart broke before it exploded" which was, kinda lol

The tutorial mission though, it is really good so I'm kinda surprised that people were lukewarm on the 10 hour trial dealio. It's pretty long but not in a bad way, just a bunch of optional exploring you can do for XP/loot and to have you dad say "Holy poo poo, you did your job for once" which, gently caress you dad

The combat is fuckin' good

The multiplayer is just like ME3 maybe a little too much with enemy units that are extremely similar to ME3MP units but it is just as fun for sure

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ilikesomegames/status/843833314624651264

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

I was going to post the actual poster for Rolling Thunder in solidarity, but then I found this and :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh jeez.

• Locked thread