Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

The secret is to just roll with it and get real weird.

"Sir, while we are in the hyper-enlightened future, Wendy's would prefer that your penis remain out of sight in this establishment, until we can prove or disprove that this is a simulation" is something you'd probably hear a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sash! posted:

"Sir, while we are in the hyper-enlightened future, Wendy's would prefer that your penis remain out of sight in this establishment, until we can prove or disprove that this is a simulation" is something you'd probably hear a lot

Computer, delete manager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like everyone in the federation would carry around a holoscrambler.

Of course in a sim it'd be a holographic holoscrambler.

Fine, a scrambler with a secret call-response code.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Holodeck timeline never made since to me, in TNG they act like its a new crazy thing, but in DS9 Bashier and Obrien talk about playing holoprograms as children, Itchy hit a bone twice and got two different sounds am I supposed to believe this is a magic xylophone?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

socialsecurity posted:

Holodeck timeline never made since to me, in TNG they act like its a new crazy thing, but in DS9 Bashier and Obrien talk about playing holoprograms as children, Itchy hit a bone twice and got two different sounds am I supposed to believe this is a magic xylophone?

Maybe the holodeck is a new development that allows larger-scale programs with more participants, but it's existed in smaller forms (like holosuites) for quite some time. Also I think there's been some mention that the Galaxy-class was the first ship to be equipped with a holodeck, so maybe before that, they didn't have holo technology on ships, just on stations and planetary facilities, so maybe that part was what was so novel to them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think they had holographic characters and environments and poo poo from way back but TNG S1 was when immersive could-be-reality can't tell the difference holodecks were introduced, and then the Bynar upgrade was when could-be-real characters were introduced.

Then that tech rolled out everywhere crazy fast because of loving course. And a few years later holoaddiction was a major thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

they had that holo-planet back in TOS as well

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

I think they had holographic characters and environments and poo poo from way back but TNG S1 was when immersive could-be-reality can't tell the difference holodecks were introduced, and then the Bynar upgrade was when could-be-real characters were introduced.

Then that tech rolled out everywhere crazy fast because of loving course. And a few years later holoaddiction was a major thing.

No one ever gets addicted to things that aren't completely realistic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You could use a totem like in "Inception."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That one race on Enterprise with the date-rapist Chief Engineer lady had the holodeck technology, and they were within easy Warp 5 travel of earth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

vermin posted:

The red flag for me is them making Sarek a big deal. That's something Blizzard Entertainment does all the time and they're great at squandering good ideas.

Take a bit character from a beloved intellectual property, bring them into the plot no matter how forced, give them a lot of mystical unforeseen importance, and have otherwise serviceable stories and characters shackle themselves to how cool the chosen one character is.

Adding Sarek to the cast is a little irritating, but far from the worst idea we've heard come out of preproduction. As a prequel set so close to TOS, you had to assume CBS would want a "classic" character to show up sooner or later. If that's the case, I'd much rather see someone like Sarek (who we've seen relatively little of) than young Spock or young Scotty, etc. And it's not as if it flies in the face of established lore; Sarek is an accomplished Federation ambassador. Early rumors and casting details have suggested some kind of major diplomatic mission involving the Klingons. It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Sarek would be involved.

I'm fully prepared for it to be awful fanwanky poo poo though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fanwanky is fine as long as it's done well (Rogue One). But I have zero faith that CBS can do anything remotely like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sarek is actually moonlighting as the ship's DJ on this show.

His beats are absolutely filthy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

they had that holo-planet back in TOS as well

That wasn't holograms, that was just robots.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

VitalSigns posted:

That one race on Enterprise with the date-rapist Chief Engineer lady had the holodeck technology, and they were within easy Warp 5 travel of earth.

When they shared it with the klingons using their maps, one of them says "I can see my house from here!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was a holodeck-in-everything-but-name in TAS ('Practical Joker'), and that's good enough for me!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

VitalSigns posted:

I just finished that one DS9 episode where Section 31 secretly beamed Bashir into a holodeck simulation so they could find out if the Dominion had Geordie'd him into being their unwitting agent.

I don't know if I could live in the Federation, I feel like I and everyone else would be in a constant state of existential crisis, always quizzing my friends and checking little nuances to make sure someone didn't sneak me into a simulation. Every time I find my keys behind some crap on the hallway table instead of on the hook where I could swear to God I hung them last night I'd be all "oh gently caress is this someone's programming oversight, did they sneak me into a holodeck to find out some secret or get naked pictures of me"

Considering the kind of psychiatric counseling we can expect in the future, it sounds like schizophrenia's going to get a lot worse. Holodeck psychosis is going to be a thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

vermin posted:

Considering the kind of psychiatric counseling we can expect in the future, it sounds like schizophrenia's going to get a lot worse. Holodeck psychosis is going to be a thing.

"What if I'm just a hologram programmed to think he's real?! :aaaaa:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drone posted:

done well (Rogue One).

lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skooma512 posted:

Wouldn't be a Star Trek reboot without it being a mess. It's almost tradition.

The only real hurdle they had while making '09 was that the Writers' Guild went on strike right before filming started, and since Abrams is a WGA member, he couldn't come up with new or altered dialogue on the set. Other than that, by all accounts it was a tremendously smooth production.

That being said, the creator and executive producer of the show getting pushed out the airlock several months before production even begins is unprecedented even for Trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Timby posted:

The only real hurdle they had while making '09 was that the Writers' Guild went on strike right before filming started, and since Abrams is a WGA member, he couldn't come up with new or altered dialogue on the set. Other than that, by all accounts it was a tremendously smooth production.

That being said, the creator and executive producer of the show getting pushed out the airlock several months before production even begins is unprecedented even for Trek.
So how did they do any dialogue adjustments? Would the WGA rules have allowed, for instance, the actors to ad-lib lines, perhaps with coughs and glances from Abrams or some other director, if refinements were needed?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Nessus posted:

So how did they do any dialogue adjustments? Would the WGA rules have allowed, for instance, the actors to ad-lib lines, perhaps with coughs and glances from Abrams or some other director, if refinements were needed?

I believe they said in interviews they more or less did this. Abrams could OK changes in his capacity as a director but could not do things that would be considered writing new material.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

Fanwanky is fine as long as it's done well (Rogue One). But I have zero faith that CBS can do anything remotely like that.

Since the Rogue One "fanwankery" actually deconstructs the original movie in contemporary political terms, yes it's good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

Pretty much. Orci and Kurtzman were on the set as well because they were executive producers, and so they'd do exaggerated gestures to suggest that a scene needed to be played in a different way, or they wanted inflections done differently, things like that. But otherwise, the only thing they could do was wait for the strike to be over and re-do dialogue in ADR.

Abrams did get a special dispensation from the WGA to rewrite one scene -- the bit where Kirk and Spock board the Narada and start dueling with Romulans. Originally it was going to be another fistfight sort of deal, but Abrams felt they'd gone to the brawling well too many times already since Kirk and Nero were going to eventually have fisticuffs as well -- so he went to the WGA board, made his case that he needed to change it because by the time the strike was over, it would be too late to get everyone back on the set and re-shoot it, and so they let him rewrite it to be a phaser battle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Since the Rogue One "fanwankery" actually deconstructs the original movie in contemporary political terms, yes it's good.
How do you mean? I didn't really get much novel commentary out of the movie.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nessus posted:

About the only thing novel I got was the (very brief look at) how rebellions tend to attract people from a wide range of different ideologies (ie: Mon Mothma was all snippety about Forrest Whittaker's rebel cell being extremists who commit warcrimes). But it was incredibly superficial.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just watched 'The Magnificent Ferengi' on the plane home. What a unexpectedly great episode! Funny, and both well-plotted and well-acted. I tend not to look at the guest star credits, so it was bothering me all episode who this fun new Vorta was.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The_Doctor posted:

Just watched 'The Magnificent Ferengi' on the plane home. What a unexpectedly great episode! Funny, and both well-plotted and well-acted. I tend not to look at the guest star credits, so it was bothering me all episode who this fun new Vorta was.

Wait, Kevan? Or Iggy Pop Vorta?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PassTheRemote posted:

Wait, Kevan? Or Iggy Pop Vorta?

Iggy Pop!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I went to the Air and Space Museum today. It had something that I liked.

I'd post the ones with me in them, but I'd have to crop out my erection. By the way, it lights up for 10 minutes 3 times a day, but sadly I had just missed the last one for the day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, a garbage scow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nessus posted:

The familiar, culturally-ingrained and appropriated imagery of the original movie is juxtaposed with extremely obvious Middle East and terrorism allegories (among others) in order to ground, frame, and humanize the story. Just about every time something morally gray or even horrendous happens, a reference to the old standby imagery is inserted--seemingly clumsily, but actually in a way that is darkly hilarious. For example, this reframes Luke's heroic journey alongside the outwardly selfless and heroic rebellion. It turns out that they are all realpolitik bureaucrats buying and selling human lives, and would prefer a brokered political solution that allowed them to continue their way of life to a strategically hopeless holy war.

According to Rogue One, we were the real dupes in Star Wars, not C-3PO--oblivious to what is actually going on in Star Wars, as far as the humanitarian and political calculus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

The familiar, culturally-ingrained and appropriated imagery of the original movie is juxtaposed with extremely obvious Middle East and terrorism allegories (among others) in order to ground, frame, and humanize the story. Just about every time something morally gray or even horrendous happens, a reference to the old standby imagery is inserted--seemingly clumsily, but actually in a way that is darkly hilarious. For example, this reframes Luke's heroic journey alongside the outwardly selfless and heroic rebellion. It turns out that they are all realpolitik bureaucrats buying and selling human lives, and would prefer a brokered political solution that allowed them to continue their way of life to a strategically hopeless holy war.

According to Rogue One, we were the real dupes in Star Wars, not C-3PO--oblivious to what is actually going on in Star Wars, as far as the humanitarian and political calculus.
Well this does clarify why there were significant segments of the film I appreciated, but I did not enjoy the overall "experience" much.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mike the TV posted:

I went to the Air and Space Museum today. It had something that I liked.

I'd post the ones with me in them, but I'd have to crop out my erection. By the way, it lights up for 10 minutes 3 times a day, but sadly I had just missed the last one for the day.

I like the new restoration. I last saw the model some time ago when it was down in the gift shop and still sporting the paint job it got in the early 90s:

Can't deny that the guy who did that paint job does great work, but he added WAY too much detail that was just never there in the first place. The fans unanimously hated it, and he got a bit peeved about that as the years dragged on:

""(...) When I first started to read this topic, I had thought I was going to read something interesting. I really didn't expect my work to be described as "BUTCHERY". It has been now over 15 years since I performed the restoration, (without the aid of all the knowledge that has been acquired in those 15 years), and I have to endure in all that time since, nothing but jabs and barbs of criticism from over-opinionated fans who now have access to that knowledge. I have yet to read one compliment... any compliment, on any forum, about any aspect of my restoration. Now after all this time, I refuse to let such a "drive-by" insult such as yours go unanswered(...)"" -Ed Miarecki

Source.

Anyway, irrespective of all that, I'm glad the new restoration has put it back how it should be.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Adding Sarek to the cast is a little irritating, but far from the worst idea we've heard come out of preproduction. As a prequel set so close to TOS, you had to assume CBS would want a "classic" character to show up sooner or later. If that's the case, I'd much rather see someone like Sarek (who we've seen relatively little of) than young Spock or young Scotty, etc. And it's not as if it flies in the face of established lore; Sarek is an accomplished Federation ambassador. Early rumors and casting details have suggested some kind of major diplomatic mission involving the Klingons. It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Sarek would be involved.

I'm fully prepared for it to be awful fanwanky poo poo though.

Well since it's set 10 years before TOS and a few decades after Enterprise, it would be a stretch for some characters to not make an appearance, or at least be name dropped. Sarek is a pretty big player. I'd expect to see T'Pau if we ever go to Vulcan. T'Pol should still be alive. Shran may be. Robert April should be a Commodore/Ambassador. John GIll the historian is alive and non-Nazi at this point. A number of prominent officers from TOS should be serving as well, some in lower ranks than we saw them later--Pike, Number One, Spock, Doctors Boyce and Piper, Garth of Izar, future "Commander of Starfleet" Henry Morrow, future Admiral Cartwright, Admiral Marcus from the JJverse, future Commodores like Stone, Mendez, Wesley, Matt Decker. Like it or not, Kirk is an active officer, either in the Academy or on the Farragut depending on the exact year of the show.

I'm probably leaving a few out, but we should really see some of these folks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shall we start a betting pool on references to the Enterprise slash it cameoing?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Astroman posted:

Well since it's set 10 years before TOS and a few decades after Enterprise, it would be a stretch for some characters to not make an appearance, or at least be name dropped. Sarek is a pretty big player. I'd expect to see T'Pau if we ever go to Vulcan. T'Pol should still be alive. Shran may be. Robert April should be a Commodore/Ambassador. John GIll the historian is alive and non-Nazi at this point. A number of prominent officers from TOS should be serving as well, some in lower ranks than we saw them later--Pike, Number One, Spock, Doctors Boyce and Piper, Garth of Izar, future "Commander of Starfleet" Henry Morrow, future Admiral Cartwright, Admiral Marcus from the JJverse, future Commodores like Stone, Mendez, Wesley, Matt Decker. Like it or not, Kirk is an active officer, either in the Academy or on the Farragut depending on the exact year of the show.

I'm probably leaving a few out, but we should really see some of these folks.

We absolutely shouldn't. A slavish insistence on callbacks to characters/events from other series just makes the universe feel smaller.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tsaedje posted:

We absolutely shouldn't. A slavish insistence on callbacks to characters/events from other series just makes the universe feel smaller.

Yeah, but these are all pretty big wheels. I mean, there's 12 Constitution Class starships in the 2250s, and they are commanded (more than likely) by Pike, Decker, Wesley, and Garth of Izar. This isn't the same Starfleet as we know in TNG where there's hundreds of ships. There's probably less than 100 Starships all told.

It would be like if you had a show about the US military in Korea and then did a prequel in WWII but didn't show MacArthur, Truman, Eisenhower, etc.

Also, this is pretty much what you get when you do a prequel. :shrug: That was their choice.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

Continuity is great when it's used to effectively tell an interesting story or when it's something like the 30th anniversary of your shows and you want to do something special in an era before massive shared theatrical universes were the norm.

Somehow I don't think think the ST:D people are going to find the line between aggressive pandering and exhausting ignorance of the source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

socialsecurity posted:

Bashir, at least, would have been 22 or so when the Enterprise-D launched, so it makes sense that he could have played with one at Zek-E-Cheese or wherever and still have it be hot poo poo around Farpoint.