Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hope that money won't flow freely between the UK and the EU and they lose all these money laundering schemes that strengthens their financial system artificially:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/20/how-dirty-money-from-russia-flooded-into-the-uk-and-where-it-went?CMP=twt_gu

Who am I kidding, everything that regards rich corrupt people will stay the same, only the poor will get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey Euro Goons, can you reassure me that Le Pen probably won't win?
All the polling says she'll lose, and not by a narrow margin.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Highly likely to make the second round but won't go all the way. As the poster above says she could lose the second round by an awful lot.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The real tragedy at this point is that she's going to get pounded into the ground by a neoliberal empty suit because he's going to pick up the very serious right wingers who are rapidly dropping Fillon like a hot potato.

But yeah, her ceiling is still lower than Trump's floor ever reached.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Philippot nodding every time Le Pen says a word is hilarious.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If Mélanchon started his campaign earlier he would be doing better. He should have started well before the PS primary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thank You very much.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

LemonDrizzle posted:

where did I hear this before

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

caps on caps on caps posted:

I assume France doesn't have a retarded system like the Electoral College to gently caress everything up.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Hillarymen were saying Trump would lose by wide margins even when they were polling neck and neck.

Le Pen never hit 40% of the vote.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like I want to say it's not another Trump situation because it isn't.....and yet. It's less likely to happen for sure but the chance is still greater than zero...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The national polling for Hillary/Trump was right, the EC hosed it all up.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

julian assflange posted:

If Mélanchon started his campaign earlier he would be doing better. He should have started well before the PS primary.

...he did, though

I'm saddened by his final statement because I heard something that sounded really bad when taken out of context, when he talked about "rendre la France aux Français" - which obviously meant restoring control to the citizens and not to the Powers That Be, but the wording, ugh

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh I thought he was simply holding meetings/events for a while before really declaring

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Oh I thought he was simply holding meetings/events for a while before really declaring

The movement La France Insoumise started in february of last year, and L'Avenir en Commun was published in its final form in december, well before the PS primary. The online campaign took off in september/october. And so on.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

...he did, though

I'm saddened by his final statement because I heard something that sounded really bad when taken out of context, when he talked about "rendre la France aux Français" - which obviously meant restoring control to the citizens and not to the Powers That Be, but the wording, ugh

Andreas Papandreou, founder of PASOK, had similarly made a "Greece for the Greeks" statement, so it's not unprecedented as a leftie slogan. It's definitely a wording that has different connotations in today's context than it did in the '80s, however.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's clumsy given you could say "to the citizens".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

That's clumsy given you could say "to the citizens".
"to the citizens" is just racism and ethnicism with a civic veneer.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^^Spend enough time forced to listen to their nonsense, you will realize how it's some kind of genius speech from a wise (wo)man living amongst fools.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nope, nothing is 100% assured. Also we can both be killed by random meteorites 10ks of kilometer apart from each other while walking the streets tomorrow. The polls say she won't but "98% chance Hillary wins" guys. Also all rely on macron being reliable. And there is a Audiard quote about confience*. On the other hand, i think it's the cycle, she may realize she will never be elected president. The FN strategy may change soon toward a more parliamentary strategy. Not sure it's a good thing. Also who the gently caress want to be president without the parliament it's loving stupid, who want a golden cage, except stupidly greedy people with an ego problem.

I bet they trained that routine because some research show 66% of the (quite idiotic) human population are more incline to agree with you when a dead eye guy near you nod repeatedly as you say the most stupid things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwjytrqEBDI

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 21, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Show me your map

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I'm glad somebody else noticed! He's like a racist dipping bird.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of bad people with wrong opinions, there's a new study. They're looking at links between the muslim faith and a tendancy towards extremism.

quote:

L’étude souligne que 32% des jeunes musulmans ont une vision absolutiste de la religion (ils valident ces deux affirmations : "il n’y a qu’une seule vraie religion", et "la religion a raison contre la science") contre 10.7% du panel de jeunes sélectionnés, et qu’ŕ 33%, ils affichent un degré élevé de tolérance ŕ la violence et ŕ la déviance (trouver acceptable de voler un scooter, tricher, conduire sans permis, agir violemment pour ses idées, dealer, affronter la police…), contre 25% dans le panel et seulement 8% parmi l’échantillon représentatif de jeunes Français du męme âge sondés en parallčle par l’institut OpinionWay

"The study outlines that 32% of the young muslims have an absolutist(tr?) view of religion. (They agree with both statements: "There's only one true religion" and "religion trumps science") against 10.7% from the study's panel, and 33% have an elevated tolerance towards violence and deviant behavior (stealing, cheating, [..] dealing drugs..) against 25% in the panel and 8% in the representative sample polled by OpinionWay"
(The authors insist their sample isn't representative of French youth)

quote:

Contre toute évidence sociologique, l’origine sociale et le niveau scolaire ne semblent pas contre-balancer l’effet de l’appartenance religieuse. Autrement dit, quelles que soient ses performances ŕ l'école et la profession de ses parents, un jeune musulman du panel a quatre fois plus de chances qu’un jeune chrétien d’adhérer ŕ des idées radicales. .

"Against all sociological logic, social origin and education level don't balance the effect of religious belonging. That is, whatever the academical performance and parent's activity, a young muslim from the sample is 4 times more likely than a christian to adhere to extremist ideas."

e: CNRS blog entry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^^^Spend enough time forced to listen to their nonsense, you will realize how it's some kind of genius speech from a wise (wo)man living amongst fools.

Nope, nothing is 100% assured. Also we can both be killed by random meteorites 10ks of kilometer apart from each other while walking the streets tomorrow. The polls say she won't but "98% chance Hillary wins" guys. Also all rely on macron being reliable. And there is a Audiard quote about confience*. On the other hand, i think it's the cycle, she may realize she will never be elected president. The FN strategy may change soon toward a more parliamentary strategy. Not sure it's a good thing. Also who the gently caress want to be president without the parliament it's loving stupid, who want a golden cage, except stupidly greedy people with an ego problem.
I have no idea what she really wants. Her parliamentary ceiling is obviously much higher. But I think she believes that she can eventually win, and I'm pretty certain that it's a personal thing for her.

"...aux employés de cette administration que le monde entier nous envie, j'ai nommé les PTT"
Man, times have changed, and so have the French people's opinion of their administrations.

*massive sigh*

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 21, 2017

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010
Méluche's performs really good in debates, or at least he is the only one not stumbling around (Macron, Hamon) or rabidly barking after the EU / the muslims (la marine, of course). And drat, did they dose Fillon on prozac before sending him on stage ?
That said, while he did deny being Putin's friend, I would find his line about "redefining/renegociating borders" slightly worrying if I were living in Ukraine or the baltics. And what's this obsession about beeing dragged in NATO's wars ? I'm pretty sure we went into Lybia, Mali and Syria/Iraq without anyone having to invoke article 5.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"...aux employés de cette administration que le monde entier nous envie, j'ai nommé les PTT"
Man, times have changed, and so have the French people's opinion of their administrations.

Yeah, after all the medias have been bought by rich guys, they've been bombarded for 40 years with "il y a trop de fonctionnaires" every day non stop.

BobMorane posted:

That said, while he did deny being Putin's friend, I would find his line about "redefining/renegociating borders" slightly worrying if I were living in Ukraine or the baltics. And what's this obsession about beeing dragged in NATO's wars ? I'm pretty sure we went into Lybia, Mali and Syria/Iraq without anyone having to invoke article 5.

The only "Article 5 war" so far has been Afghanistan.

Libya (not lybia, lybia are cute little crabs), Mali, and the anti-Daesh operations in Syria and Iraq are technically not NATO operations.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 21, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Last night, French media (not the Canard Enchainé, surprisingly) revealed that the minister of the interior had given his two daughter part-time jobs as parliamentary assistants for years, starting when they were 15 and 16. 24 part-time contracts between the two of them, paid 55,000 euros in total.

https://twitter.com/bengrosso/status/844144215365959680

He's going to announce his resignation this afternoon.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

German debt was not wiped out, it was just restructured, mostly because the Western powers had not interest in impoverishing West Germany, their front line against communism, which coincidentally didn't elect politicians whose explicit goal it was to destroy/change the power structure and ideological orthodoxy of NATO.

That's what you've been told the whole time. The refusal of the EU to negotiate with the Greek government on debt had nothing to do with anything but ideological hatred towards Syriza from the neoliberal ruling elite. There was no other reason, you disingenious twathead. But I guess it's nice to see you admit the fact now, years down the line.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

Last night, French media (not the Canard Enchainé, surprisingly) revealed that the minister of the interior had given his two daughter part-time jobs as parliamentary assistants for years, starting when they were 15 and 16. 24 part-time contracts between the two of them, paid 55,000 euros in total.

How much is that in Pelenopes

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lollontee posted:

That's what you've been told the whole time. The refusal of the EU to negotiate with the Greek government on debt had nothing to do with anything but ideological hatred towards Syriza from the neoliberal ruling elite. There was no other reason, you disingenious twathead. But I guess it's nice to see you admit the fact now, years down the line.

I don't see how that would be controversial at all. If they had just concluded the second review as planned in early-mid 2015, they would have gotten some debt restructuring and access to the money faucet that is QE - but Varoufakis and Tsipras ruined it all by being stupid.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

https://twitter.com/bengrosso/status/844144215365959680

He's going to announce his resignation this afternoon.

The PS continues slowly dying both metaphorically and literally (RIP Henri Emmanuelli).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

lollontee posted:

The refusal of the EU to negotiate with the Greek government on debt had nothing to do with anything but ideological hatred towards Syriza from the neoliberal ruling elite.
This is completely incorrect - there was a strong negative public reaction against any suggestion of going easy on Greece in several northern and eastern european countries.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not Fillon money, seems to be approximately the SMIC (total/24/3 summer months) but this practice needs to be stamped out.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unpacked robinhood posted:

About 0.07 Penelopes. She was paid 800,000 euros for her "work".

julian assflange posted:

It's not Fillon money, seems to be approximately the SMIC (total/24/3 summer months) but this practice needs to be stamped out.

Yeah. It's about the nepotism, not the money.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 21, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kassad posted:

About 0.07 Penelopes.
Or just over 4 suit allowances provided by mystery benefactors!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

julian assflange posted:

It's worrying that we needed the main right wing candidate during election time blabbing about work and morality for the whole lovely scheme to be exposed.
They probably all hate his guts for indirectly spilling the beans.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slightly below one decipenelope.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's worrying that we needed the main right wing candidate during election time blabbing about work and morality for the whole lovely scheme to be exposed.
They probably all hate his guts for indirectly spilling the beans.

It's one of many things like it so I'm sure as long as they divert all attention to this it will keep all the other dubious benefits out of the public eye for a while

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

not remotely the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is completely incorrect - there was a strong negative public reaction against any suggestion of going easy on Greece in several northern and eastern european countries.
I wonder why that was