Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Today's lesson: terraforming cures pre-sentients

And other empires don't seem to notice/care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If it's anything like when I did it you'll actually still have the planet modifier, just no tiles of them.

Where did they go? :iiam:

e: oh you said pre-sentients, n/m.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You just killed off a bunch of dolphins. I mean, maybe some people will feebly protest that, but don't think any country would consider it an atrocity worthy of going to war over or anything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And I'm sure there are a bunch of conservation enthusiasts beavering around trying to save or document all the unique lifeforms before your terraforming machines vaporize it all.

Hmm, that could make for a fun event.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't terraform anymore because I feel bad about the fictional, not even represented in game animals. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the new terraforming candidate mechanic. I'm hoping there'll be "Oh shoot there's life there after all!" events.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can murder all the gorillas and dolphins I like but god forbid I force a landing and rescue some actual sentients from bronze age poverty - oh no, that's TOO FAR :mad:

I don't entirely understand why the first and third options are even displayed.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Am I the only one who's bugged by sci-fi writers not knowing the difference between "sentient" (your dog) and "sapient" (you)?

Probably.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tulul posted:

Am I the only one who's bugged by sci-fi writers not knowing the difference between "sentient" (your dog) and "sapient" (you)?

Probably.

Can aliens truly be sapient, though? My gross xenophobic mollusks certainly don't think so.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wiz said people like sentient more

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tulul posted:

Probably.

It's not just the writers. Brandon Sanderson had to write a blog post explaing that difference and why he used the terms correctly in his (fantasy) books.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GlyphGryph posted:

We would be happy to share this information for the small sum of one hundred million credits.

Hmm. The Curators already use that one in full as one of their opening lines, though. Keep it up and everyone will be using it and it loses all impact.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. The Curators already use that one in full as one of their opening lines, though. Keep it up and everyone will be using it and it loses all impact.

Its just me making the same Star Control reference in a far more accurate context, anything post SC2 is of diminished impact anyway on this front :P

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

How did a loving science pun start this godawful ship design chat again

This guy comes into the thread about once a month complaining about detailed discussions being too much for him to handle. He can also only manage one line posts.

Hey bro sometimes people will talk about stuff you don't like, maybe you can take this show back on the road?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rakthar posted:

This guy comes into the thread about once a month complaining about detailed discussions being too much for him to handle. He can also only manage one line posts.

Hey bro sometimes people will talk about stuff you don't like, maybe you can take this show back on the road?

lol

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

rather read that dudes one line than a novel about how wiz should use machine learning.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys build multiple wormhole stations in a single system? In my last game i noticed that i started to have some congestion issues during hectic wars with offensive, defensive and reinforcing fleets farting all over the place.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys build multiple wormhole stations in a single system? In my last game i noticed that i started to have some congestion issues during hectic wars with offensive, defensive and reinforcing fleets farting all over the place.

I played wormhole once only and hated it, but what I did was to put wormhole stations in my inhabited systems and then to put redundant wormholes in systems with no colonies and also even no resources if I could avoid it.

...never been so happy to scan debris and get Jump Drive.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I like wormholes, except for the congestion thing i mentioned and also the only time i played a game long enough to reach a "critical event" or whatever it's called. I noticed that everyone opened borders to me as a not so subtle "hey player, jump across the galaxy and deal with this lol" nudge. But i couldn't actually do that cause i was neither allowed to build wormhole stations or use theirs if they had any in their space :v:

edit: lmao i just discovered a giant fossilized poo poo in space, +3 society research

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wormhole stations are great for deep striking and complimenting allied fleets using other methods... until your fleet gets stuck when the war ends and you have to beg for establishing wormhole stations in other empires. :argh: :bang: :mad:

Still, my last big game was wormhole and I don't regret using it. Never done a hyperlane game til the late game, what few games I've tried of it I got hemmed into a tiny corner very quickly. :smith:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

SOTS handled the congestion better. The size of your gate network added to the max transport size, and then you upgraded to cruiser gate ships which added more per gate. So it was critical to pepper all your systems and allies with gates, if they'd let you.

E: Then when you were done with them you jumped massive fleets straight to your "allies" core worlds. :black101:

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jigoku San posted:

SOTS handled the congestion better. The size of your gate network added to the max transport size, and then you upgraded to cruiser gate ships which added more per gate. So it was critical to pepper all your systems and allies with gates, if they'd let you.

E: Then when you were done with them you jumped massive fleets straight to your "allies" core worlds. :black101:
That game really, really nailed assymetrical poo poo in a way no other game really has; it isn't really fair to compare it to Stellaris on that front because it does its thang so much better while being way, way older

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

is sots the one where you could build massive space stations to hold a single giant gently caress off gun to shell planets half way across the galaxy? cause that was pretty rad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dongattack posted:

Generally not, but I usually don't have tons of fleets zipping all over the place either. Generally just one big doomstack, or if two stacks, they're usually on different sides of my space and don't interfere with each other. On the off chance I'm operating in close proximity with multiple fleets, I'll just manually route them through different wormhole stations.

Thyrork posted:

Wormhole stations are great for deep striking and complimenting allied fleets using other methods... until your fleet gets stuck when the war ends and you have to beg for establishing wormhole stations in other empires. :argh: :bang: :mad:

Still, my last big game was wormhole and I don't regret using it. Never done a hyperlane game til the late game, what few games I've tried of it I got hemmed into a tiny corner very quickly. :smith:

If you get a fleet lost outside the network, hit the Return button or whatever it's called and your fleet will go MIA then re-appear at your closest planet in a couple months.

I've tried Hyperlane a couple times and find it unbearable, just because everything feels like it's moving so slowly.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 21, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

PittTheElder posted:

I've tried Hyperlane a couple times and find it unbearable, just because everything feels like it's moving so slowly.

Hyperspace lost a lot of its charm with the patch that forced them to the solar system's edge like every other kind of FTL. Earlier than that you could enter the hyperlanes from where ever in the system and saved days/weeks doing it.

I still think hyperspace only games have a fun element to them, but I'd never choose hyperspace in a game where warp or wormholes are an option.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Roobanguy posted:

is sots the one where you could build massive space stations to hold a single giant gently caress off gun to shell planets half way across the galaxy? cause that was pretty rad.

That sounds suspiciously like the kind of shenanigans you could get upto in Star Ruler 2.

Or Sins of a Solar Empire. The Traders had that as a super weapon.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Thyrork posted:

That sounds suspiciously like the kind of shenanigans you could get upto in Star Ruler 2.

Or Sins of a Solar Empire. The Traders had that as a super weapon.

i'm definitely thinking of sins of a solar empire.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

This reminds me that Sins had actually useful space stations that could even travel around the gravity well (1 faction only though) and minefields :saddowns:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dwesa posted:

This reminds me that Sins had actually useful space stations that could even travel around the gravity well (1 faction only though) and minefields :saddowns:

Most of Sins was pretty eh, in my opinion, but Entrenchment was a legit good expansion with legit good ideas. I know that fortifications in space is a pretty stupid idea from any realistic standpoint, but if you're gonna do it, might as well go all in.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

Sword of the Stars did not have that (I think?) but did have a gigantic space revolver that fired asteroids into planets. You needed to bring it into the system though then guard it as the defender presumably threw their entire fleet at the thing in a desperate attempt to prevent it from dinosauring them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tulul posted:

Probably.

Nah, you're not alone. It bugged me so much I made a little mod changing all instances of incorrect terminology. (Well, the ones I caught, at least. :v: )

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod or something to only show the habitability ratings of your own race on colonizable planets? I noticed a perfect fringe world and shat out a colony ship post-haste only to discover it was perfect for my dinky slaves!

edit: on the galaxy map that is, i know about the expansion planner

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 22, 2017

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
No but if you hover over the green habitable icon it will break down the compatibility ratings for all races in your empire so you can check

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Colonise from the planet menu, rather than building colony ships at the shipyard.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

dPB posted:

No but if you hover over the green habitable icon it will break down the compatibility ratings for all races in your empire so you can check

On the galaxy map? The tooltip does not say anything like that on my end just: Name of planet, type, size and habitability.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Open the planet's window, mouse over the habitability on the first tab.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Construction ribot - the animation for this one was extremely fussy, but I think it's alright in the end!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Brb making a race of uplifted forklifts and earthmovers

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Dog Kisser posted:

Construction ribot - the animation for this one was extremely fussy, but I think it's alright in the end!

IT IS MY CHILD. I LOVE IT SO.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Please tell me you named them the Ton'ka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Korgan posted:

Please tell me you named them the Ton'ka.

I mean, they're just portraits, but now I strongly want to make em' a prescribed species.

• Locked thread