Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

ImpAtom posted:

Very very frightening me.

GALILEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a question about NieR Automata, and I had originally asked in the games thread, but last I checked people were being bitchy at each other over if it was okay to not like the game because of the no save tutorial deal, so gently caress that thread. I'm not a fan of how the camera constantly switches out to a fixed point. It's not a huge deal, but I have a hard time seeing what my character is doing and at a lot of points it seemed like it switched almost to 2d side scrolling. I really enjoyed how the combat system felt, and the earlier posts about the dodging is what prompted this post. Is the camera thing really that bad? Like does it switch as often as it does in the tutorial zone? I just have a hard time understanding how people can talk about enjoying the combat system if it's constantly breaking up your flow like it was in the tutorial. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but it seemed like a neat game and I'm going to give it another good go after I beat Horizon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've got a question about NieR Automata, and I had originally asked in the games thread, but last I checked people were being bitchy at each other over if it was okay to not like the game because of the no save tutorial deal, so gently caress that thread. I'm not a fan of how the camera constantly switches out to a fixed point. It's not a huge deal, but I have a hard time seeing what my character is doing and at a lot of points it seemed like it switched almost to 2d side scrolling. I really enjoyed how the combat system felt, and the earlier posts about the dodging is what prompted this post. Is the camera thing really that bad? Like does it switch as often as it does in the tutorial zone? I just have a hard time understanding how people can talk about enjoying the combat system if it's constantly breaking up your flow like it was in the tutorial. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but it seemed like a neat game and I'm going to give it another good go after I beat Horizon.

Not as often as in the tutorial zone but it does it pretty often. I'm not a huge fan of the top-down segments either just because they make it really hard to see if something's about to hit you from just outside of the camera's range, but I love the side-scroller segments. Most areas have one or two spots that are side scrolling, I haven't run into any other top-down areas aside from one brief phase of a boss fight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Unsurprisingly, Paper Mario Color Splash has a dedicated nostalgia trip level. Surprisingly, though, it's not SMB 1-1!

It's based on the first world of SMB3. And it really rewards actually knowing that; just going through the areas normally won't get you anywhere. You have to get to the Warp Whistles, which are hidden exactly where they're supposed to be.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Those camera shifts are deliberate and intentional Drunk Driver Dad, it is supposed to be an emulation of a 2D sidescroller or a top down bullet hell simulation. I cannot speak to the frequency of which you will encounter these shifts in game play but they were in Nier the first and are quite intentional.

In asking a friend he says it does shift fair often into top down and sidescroller segments. Even a few bosses will be in the side scrolling method.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember some Goon saying that new Mad Max game should have had the Nemesis system in it and they were spot on. As much as I loved that game, thinking about some mad raider coming back all banged up and battered with false limbs and eyepatches from where I'd wrecked them previously makes my heart skip a beat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh god yes. That would have carried the game a lot better than the bog standard car upgrading system.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't played the game to know if it is relevant at all, but a driver who keeps dying while screaming "WITNESS ME" and then showing up in another car, with more scars and patch-ups from his last failed attempt, CONTINUALLY trying to kill you in a kamikaze attempt is perfection to me

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Those segments show up pretty often, but they're usually brief and often have some sort of point to them. The tutorial section has to lay them on thick and fast to make sure players are used to adjusting their controls on the fly- especially their shooting controls- but it starts to mellow out pretty nicely after that. They're mostly used for narrow hallway segments where normal cameras or controls would suffer, or out of the way gimmick areas, at least as far as I've seen.

The tutorial section and the first couple areas are the blandest and most cookie-cutter in the game. Hold out until you get through the desert (trust me, it's nowhere near as big as it looks). If the desert boss doesn't hook you, there's a real fuckin' jaw-dropper of an area after that, and by all accounts that's nothing compared to what's coming up.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

Unsurprisingly, Paper Mario Color Splash has a dedicated nostalgia trip level. Surprisingly, though, it's not SMB 1-1!

It's based on the first world of SMB3. And it really rewards actually knowing that; just going through the areas normally won't get you anywhere. You have to get to the Warp Whistles, which are hidden exactly where they're supposed to be.

I like how much more "fixed" Color Splash feels compared to Sticker Star. Also I love Shunned Guy, he is the best character in the game or maybe on par with Piper because he is such a cool guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

or maybe on par with Piper because he is such a cool guy.

Piper became amazing once I realized what his entire sidequest is in reference to.

It's the Jim Henson memorial special, with Piper as Jim Henson. Everyone's sharing tales about this guy while waiting for him to turn up, talking about how great a person he is, only for the last one to turn up and break the news that he died. It was probably a reference added in translation, because it doesn't quite follow, but it's pretty clearly the intention.

After all, someday they find it: The Rainbow Carnation.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Mar 21, 2017

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Drunken Baker posted:

I remember some Goon saying that new Mad Max game should have had the Nemesis system in it and they were spot on. As much as I loved that game, thinking about some mad raider coming back all banged up and battered with false limbs and eyepatches from where I'd wrecked them previously makes my heart skip a beat.

I've had the exact same thought, only it would apply not only to an individual raider, but to the band of pursuit vehicles they're in charge of. Destroy the group and when next you meet a nemesis their car is now cobbled together out of the remains of their previous band's vehicles. If the system was robust enough then you could with enough iterations meet some genuinely lethal results or maybe find them frantically kicking at a barely mobile scrap pile that wobbles about squirting flames.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Mad Max to me seems so worthy of a sequel. It's such a coherent world and they got all the basics operating correctly, they just need bigger, badder, and more varied objectives. Adding the nemesis system, motorcycles, more beard options, and iterating on the last games combat system and you'd have a drat fine game I would think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Piper became amazing once I realized what his entire sidequest is in reference to.

It's the Jim Henson memorial special, with Piper as Jim Henson. Everyone's sharing tales about this guy while waiting for him to turn up, talking about how great a person he is, only for the last one to turn up and break the news that he died. It was probably a reference added in translation, because it doesn't quite follow, but it's pretty clearly the intention.

After all, someday they find it: The Rainbow Carnation.

God drat :stare:.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
My favorite thing about the Piper side-quest is that you start out thinking the guy's a toad, but then the story starts getting weird like going into great detail how good of a plant he was at some play, or how he swallowed someone whole who was making fun of his friends.

Color Splash might not be as good as the first two Paper Mario imo - but it is a really good game on its own (and might actually be the funniest in the series) and I would honestly play another one, but I do hope next time they ease up on the Toads - the parts where your just chilling with enemies are probably some of my favorite parts in the game.

My personal favorite enemy moment is on the train you have a talk with a shy guy about how it sucks you guys have to be enemies. Then while going through the woods and beating up shy guys - and one of them turns out to be the shy guy from the train who is glad that he got to go out fighting you.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish Mad Max would have had a "Thunderdome" mode too, where you just fight dudes like in Batman. I loved how brutal the fighting in that game was. Going from Batman/Etzio/Not-Aragorn all being so fluid and stylish with their takedowns to Max just dumping Warboys on their heads and booting the poo poo out of them was great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunken Baker posted:

I wish Mad Max would have had a "Thunderdome" mode too, where you just fight dudes like in Batman. I loved how brutal the fighting in that game was. Going from Batman/Etzio/Not-Aragorn all being so fluid and stylish with their takedowns to Max just dumping Warboys on their heads and booting the poo poo out of them was great.

I just wish it had a New Game +

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is NieR open world? Skip this post I'm thinking about getting it but still not 100% sure I'd actually play it. If I pissed away $60 on a game I don't play I'd feel bad. I don't know anything about the series either. I'm looking for world adventure not hallways and one-way doors to traverse. I've been scratching at the surface of Shadow Warrior games for the funny protagonist but I'm not playing it that much because the world isn't that spectacular despite being oftentimes scenic it is held back by the conspicuous (in)visible walls and one way thresholds.

I understand NieR might be linear but so was rear end. Creed: the Pirate One and that game felt like a true adventure that gave me options that weren't advancing the story line such as dicking around, learning shanties and raising supplies to build an island whorehouse.

I guess what I'm asking is will this game feel like being on a railroad or open pirate seas? I crave adventure.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Sponge Baathist posted:

Is NieR open world? Skip this post I'm thinking about getting it but still not 100% sure I'd actually play it. If I pissed away $60 on a game I don't play I'd feel bad. I don't know anything about the series either. I'm looking for world adventure not hallways and one-way doors to traverse. I've been scratching at the surface of Shadow Warrior games for the funny protagonist but I'm not playing it that much because the world isn't that spectacular despite being oftentimes scenic it is held back by the conspicuous (in)visible walls and one way thresholds.

I understand NieR might be linear but so was rear end. Creed: the Pirate One and that game felt like a true adventure that gave me options that weren't advancing the story line such as dicking around, learning shanties and raising supplies to build an island whorehouse.

I guess what I'm asking is will this game feel like being on a railroad or open pirate seas? I crave adventure.

Its open world with some corridor missions.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Get the new Zelda adventure guy. Its the one true way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Saying that Mad Max would be better with the nemesis system is kind of cheating, since most open world games would be better with the nemesis system. Shadow of Mordor really nailed that concept, as barebones as the rest of the game was.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Feonir posted:

I wondered if the Orks themselves would go into other peoples games. You know those missions that say "Your friend was killed by this ork" missions that pop up so I painstakingly made a campaign where my only death would come at the hands of a hand tailored ork with as many packed on immunitys as I could find. Hours and hours and hours of engaging and retreating, doing various challenges by my own subordinates I would sabotage and of course much resting at towers to repopulate and get new orks to fling at him later my nemesis was in no particular order

Immune to burning
Enraged by burning
Immune to fear
Enraged by fear
Enraged by flies
Enraged by damage
Enraged by killing other orcs
immune to stealth finishers.
Immune to counters
immune to finishers
One hit kill to beasts
One hit kill to graugs
Immune to ranged
Poison Weapon
No last chance given
Was a metal shield and halberd weilding Ork

When I went to challenge him one last time to hopefully get him immunity to being grabbed...he got stumbled by an ork who had set itself on fire in the melee and walked the gently caress off the ocean fort's boundaries into the sea.

I'm shocked no one has quoted this. This might be the most effort someone's put into potentially griefing other people, and hats off to you for that. I love the idea of having put so much time into breeding this immortal orc on the off chance it's going to wind up in a friend's game and wreck them out of nowhere.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Sponge Baathist posted:

Nier's story is primarily told as corridor segments (you are free to wander around the limited areas, and there are branching rooms, but they have a definitive start and end, with a path inbetween). You go to place Y, fight some enemies, then you finish up and sidequests for that area unlock. Move on to the next zone, repeat. There is some back and forth between the zones. They're almost all fetch/kill quests, for what it's worth. Exploration of the zone is usually for the end of accessing the odd chest or really just doing the side quests.

E: I should note there are large open zones, but there are definite boundaries between zones.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Saying that Mad Max would be better with the nemesis system is kind of cheating, since most open world games would be better with the nemesis system. Shadow of Mordor really nailed that concept, as barebones as the rest of the game was.

Mad Max is frustrating because they're already halfway there with the different factions that have their own unique paint jobs and parts and headquarters and bosses, it would have made all the times when the game slams the breaks on the main plotline and makes you grind side missions for specific parts before you can continue a lot more tolerable if the nemesis system were there making it all more dynamic and proactive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

Mad Max is frustrating because they're already halfway there with the different factions that have their own unique paint jobs and parts and headquarters and bosses, it would have made all the times when the game slams the breaks on the main plotline and makes you grind side missions for specific parts before you can continue a lot more tolerable if the nemesis system were there making it all more dynamic and proactive.

To have a custom big bad out in the wasteland would be amazing :smith:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

In the original Sims it was a good idea to fill extra lots with eight person families with social skills, so your primary families could have friends. When creating eight random people for one house, two of the men ended up dressed in white shirts and ties with black pants.

When you started a new family, the game would send a few neighbors over so you would have a chance to make connections. For whatever reason, out of the dozens of available neighbors, the game always immediately sent the two guys with white shirts and ties over together. It looked like my neighborhood had an active Mormon missionary committee.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In the original Sims it was a good idea to fill extra lots with eight person families with social skills, so your primary families could have friends. When creating eight random people for one house, two of the men ended up dressed in white shirts and ties with black pants.

When you started a new family, the game would send a few neighbors over so you would have a chance to make connections. For whatever reason, out of the dozens of available neighbors, the game always immediately sent the two guys with white shirts and ties over together. It looked like my neighborhood had an active Mormon missionary committee.

The fact that the House Party expansion had Drew Carrey show up if your party lasted long enough with a high enough rating was the greatest thing when I was a teenager because I was a huge Whose Line dork. In retrospect it's great because it almost perfectly dates the game.

Also doing some wikidiving in the Thai release of the game they renamed the in-game character after a Thai comedian who resembled the Drew Carrey character model.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sponge Baathist posted:

Is NieR open world?

It's JRPG-style open world. Dark Souls open world. It's less about going into big structured plotty missions and more about quests that throw interesting combat/adventure encounters onto the board. And it genuinely feels like an adventure- I've yet to find a quest, even a basic fetch/clear quest, that didn't have a satisfyingly thick slab of plot or worldbuilding in it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

And it genuinely feels like an adventure- I've yet to find a quest, even a basic fetch/clear quest, that didn't have a satisfyingly thick slab of plot or worldbuilding in it.

The ones that didn't end in world building usually ended in me going :stare: at the screen. Some do both. I murdered that rear end in a top hat robot that tricked me into stealing the forest king's final memory and laughed about it. gently caress that guy. I got an achievement for it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Strife posted:

I'm shocked no one has quoted this. This might be the most effort someone's put into potentially griefing other people, and hats off to you for that. I love the idea of having put so much time into breeding this immortal orc on the off chance it's going to wind up in a friend's game and wreck them out of nowhere.

I feel like it's critically missing regeneration to make it even more of a pain to fight. But even with all of those strengths, it still has a big weakness, which I only figured out was a thing thanks to encountering a similar wall of advantages (including regeneration) at one point - the AoE slam special doesn't count as a finisher, so you just whittle them down with that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Somfin posted:

It's JRPG-style open world. Dark Souls open world. It's less about going into big structured plotty missions and more about quests that throw interesting combat/adventure encounters onto the board. And it genuinely feels like an adventure- I've yet to find a quest, even a basic fetch/clear quest, that didn't have a satisfyingly thick slab of plot or worldbuilding in it.

I'm torn about this. Yeah, it's a drat good open world, but the opening tutorial corridor is so riotously anime in scope and variety. Jumping back and forth from bullet hell shooter -> mech shooter -> third person fighter -> side scroller -> bullet hell melee -> fight a goddamn oil rig.

It reminded me of Sin and Punishment, which was similarly insane (the first boss is a sky scraper, the end boss a planet) and a whole game in that style would be amazing (and exhausting)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drunken Baker posted:

Get Assassin's Creed: Syndicate if you haven't already. Evie Frye breaks bones like it's a hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE&t=31s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that the House Party expansion had Drew Carrey show up if your party lasted long enough with a high enough rating was the greatest thing when I was a teenager because I was a huge Whose Line dork. In retrospect it's great because it almost perfectly dates the game.

Also doing some wikidiving in the Thai release of the game they renamed the in-game character after a Thai comedian who resembled the Drew Carrey character model.

Hard to forget that face.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Assassin's Creed: Syndicate if you haven't already. Evie Frye breaks bones like it's a hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE&t=31s

Evie

Evie no he had a family

Evie this is Victorian London they don't know what medicine is

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Breath of Wild is so full of small things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Goddamn I love how stupidly Japanese Yakuza 0 is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDf1PFlATmk

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a bit cliche but I really liked the end of Horizon where all the people I've helped throughout the game showed up to help protect the city. It's nice seeing that the stuff I didn't have to do actually comes back in some form even if it isn't important.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm torn about this. Yeah, it's a drat good open world, but the opening tutorial corridor is so riotously anime in scope and variety. Jumping back and forth from bullet hell shooter -> mech shooter -> third person fighter -> side scroller -> bullet hell melee -> fight a goddamn oil rig.

The lead developer, Taro Yoko, gave a fuckin' amazing interview about this and a bunch of other stuff. Apparently he just gets bored of doing the same poo poo for too long, so he makes sure there's lots of tone/content shifts on the regular. Which doesn't explain the sponginess of some of the enemies, but it does explain why you can run from basically any non-plot encounter and go do something else for eight fuckin' hours before you remember that you were gonna kill that guy.

Also he loves making games about and including sexual themes because he finds that particular game industry taboo hilariously arbitrary. Which explains the robot orgy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

The lead developer, Taro Yoko, gave a fuckin' amazing interview about this and a bunch of other stuff. Apparently he just gets bored of doing the same poo poo for too long, so he makes sure there's lots of tone/content shifts on the regular. Which doesn't explain the sponginess of some of the enemies, but it does explain why you can run from basically any non-plot encounter and go do something else for eight fuckin' hours before you remember that you were gonna kill that guy.

Also he loves making games about and including sexual themes because he finds that particular game industry taboo hilariously arbitrary. Which explains the robot orgy.

Most of the bullet sponginess I find is explained by you being underlevelled. Being like ten levels below a robot will make it take twice as long, any more than that will make it take a hilariously long time as your damage drops to single digits. Meet a dude on equal or near to it level and you'll just destroy them in record time if you've been upgrading your weapons at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

All of the little touches in Hitman. I killed Viktor really early, then eavesdropped on some NPCs talking about how Viktor hadn't shown up yet, and wasn't that weird?

...It's just - there's dialogue for everything, and I love how immersive it all is?