Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Fezz posted:

That's true, and I'm sure we'll see him again. But for the purposes of the show at this time he's gone. Maybe when they cure the bugster virus Kiriya and Dan will come back to life.

We'll certainly see him in a movie at some point. Even if it's just a suit and I have my usual and at this point thing I should get over twitch reaction when suits like that show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't believe they're Weekend at Bernies-ing Shinno's corpse.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wish I wasn't spoiled on Nira's true nature, but I thought the conclusion to that arc was still enormously satisfying.

One thing that still stands out to me is also what a decent guy Heart seems to be. Like. Obviously he has evil intentions, but he's just so affable and charming.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Heart's the loving best. I still tear up during his final scene.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if "Gaim, but with video games" is the best description but the rest is undeniably true.

"Gaim but better, and with video games" is what I'd say.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Heart's actions are totally logical if you look at him as the King of a species on the verge of extinction who is desperately trying to keep them all alive. He can be nice, kind, and even loving, but the end of it all is that he's fighting to protect his race that is suffering from mutual exclusivity with Humans. He can love and cherish each Roidmude and not particularly hate Shinnosuke or any other human, while still being aware that, in order to save his people, they have to die.

And the actor and the character are both fantastic at portraying this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay. Banno may be rivaling Dan in the pettiness department.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
What's the general consensus on Kyuranger so far? I really want to like it, I love the style of the suits, mecha, and characters, but...

Six episodes in and I am so sick of Lucky. The bits with the other characters in this ep. were great, and they've shown in other episodes they can back the focus away from him (which is when the show really seems to shine).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I legitimately like Lucky at this point. The actor is legitimately earnest about it, and he's not an egomaniac like Daigo and Takaharu. He's just really earnest and excited about life.

I don't really think the focus on him is that excessive and everyone else already has their own stories being set up and seeded. I'm excited to see more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't say I'm a fan of Lucky or the focus on him, but i do like the rest (whenever they get to shine) and the series is exciting enough to stick to it despite its flaws. It's not great, by any means, but it isn't Goseiger or Ninninger, and I can appreciate that. That said, I hope it does get better soon.

Ex-Aid keeps being great though! I'm glad Kuroto got to die as he lived: as an egomaniacal monster with delusions of godhood because he's good at making videogames. I didn't want him to become a good guy or to die begging for his life, that he got to stand up once more and die proclaiming how he's just better than everyone else is the most fitting thing. Especially since he got to die by the virus he himself made, from the Gashat made specifically for him, by the hands of the race he single-handely created. His death is entirely on his own "godhood", as it should be.

Poor Emu though. He really didn't want any more deaths, even if said death came from someone as loathsome as Kuroto. At least he has a robot now. Maximum Gamer is cool!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the weird thing about Lucky is that while he's the main character of the show, he hasn't been the main character of a single episode yet.

Like Lucky is off doing weird poo poo and getting power ups and saving the day, and the poo poo he's doing is still mostly ancillary to the main crux of the episode.

Like in this episode he wasn't even part of the resolution of the issues with Hammy and Garou. He didn't play a part in the scene other then as a literal prop; he didn't have a line in Hammy and Garou's conversation, the resolution came from Xiao. Lucky was a part of the resolution but he wasn't the one who started it and he wasn't the one to resolve it. Then, even with him getting a special powerup this episode, they still did a full 5 man finisher. Then when everyone goes 'Lucky should be the Leader', he instead goes 'Nah, everyone here is a Superstar, we don't need a leader.'

This has been consistent too; in the first Episode, Lucky yells at Garou to keep fighting, but the decision to fight doesn't come from Lucky doing anything; it's entirely Garou deciding on his own while watching Champ who decides he's had enough of being scared. In the second, the episode's resolution comes from Balance taking a moral stand, and Lucky just goes 'yeah this is super lucky!', but it was Balance who decided on his path. in the Third Episode, Lucky stops Stinger from stabbing Champ, but he doesn't beat the monster (Stinger does), he doesn't beat Stinger (Stinger just leaves), and he tries to help Champ get over his revenge fantasies but he hasn't yet. In the Fourth Episode, Lucky drags Raptor into dangerous situations, but Raptor has to be the one to make her stand. And when she does, Lucky just leaves; the entire fight scene is just Raptor with a slight assist from Sparda, and Lucky doesn't show up until the mecha portion.

It's a weird concept because by all looks the show is focusing on Lucky too much, but then if you look at it a bit harder it becomes clear the dude is more akin to a plot device that can talk then a character; he just does things that are convenient to the plot and fucks off to do whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It actually is kind of nice that they did a team finisher even though Lucky got the new powerup and fought the monster by himself. It's also kind of nice that they had a scene that shows yeah, Lucky may be super lucky but he also works hard too.

That said I'm enjoying Kyuranger but so far it hasn't hit the "Whoa I can't wait for the next episode!" stage. This is probably because we're still in the "get the viewer used to the team" stage and the plot hasn't really started rolling yet. I am really enjoying the monster designs though, they seem more unique than the last couple of seasons somehow. It's also kind of interesting that so far we've only had a couple of times when the monster has grown to giant size, it's mostly been them fighting the giant robot drills.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Power Ranger movie opinions are varying WILDLY.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Watching the Drive movie.

Kiriko should have been a rider.

Rather surprised Super Dead Heat is just a stop gap form and not the key to fix everything like movie forms tend to be.

EDIT - why couldn't Ghost have been this cool in his own show

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpazmasterX posted:

Still sounds like it's worth a matinee ticket tbh

i have a buddy who works at the theater so i'm probably going for free

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh, Type Special is the important movie form. Got it.

I kind of love how hideous it is.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Kiriko not being a rider is probably the biggest thing I can find to complain about with Drive.

I really liked this week's episode of Ex-Aid, hope it keeps going in this direction, although I'm not entirely sure how they're going to keep escalating past Maximum Mighty. Also I'm actually pretty excited for Ultra Super Hero Wars, as those are some pretty nice guest stars, and out of their suits too! Although, uh, KR Zolda? That's pretty random.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is it really that random? Isn't he basically the closest thing Ryuki has to a tertiary Rider?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darksaber posted:

Kiriko not being a rider is probably the biggest thing I can find to complain about with Drive.

I really liked this week's episode of Ex-Aid, hope it keeps going in this direction, although I'm not entirely sure how they're going to keep escalating past Maximum Mighty. Also I'm actually pretty excited for Ultra Super Hero Wars, as those are some pretty nice guest stars, and out of their suits too! Although, uh, KR Zolda? That's pretty random.

he's got his final poewr up coming still and its glorious

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is it really that random? Isn't he basically the closest thing Ryuki has to a tertiary Rider?

I was watching Ryuki as those other subs came out, but I don't think they got past the teens, so it very well may be!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Darksaber posted:

I was watching Ryuki as those other subs came out, but I don't think they got past the teens, so it very well may be!

Yeah, he's the third longest running Rider in Ryuki and gets a good amount of focus, with Knight as the first and Ryuki as the second by a small amount. Ouja is forth.

Scissors is shortest, but Scissors is just fail in general. (Are the Alternatives still not considered Riders officially? I kinda found that dumb and Another Agito is considered a Rider as of his upcoming miniseries appearance. Not that this is important in any way.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what upcoming miniseries is Another Agito showing up in?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

what upcoming miniseries is Another Agito showing up in?

Kamen Sentai GoRider. And boy, does his clearly designed with the monster budget suit look hilariously out of place in the team shots.

Then again his main character trait in Agito is being a giant pile of crazy, so I'm not sure what they're going to DO with him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Another Agito honestly looks like they were trying to invoke Shin.

I can't imagine WHY but. Yeah.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Another Agito honestly looks like they were trying to invoke Shin.

I can't imagine WHY but. Yeah.

His bizarre design is compounded by the show having a plot point that the police are unable to distinguish between Agito and Another Agito by sight. Yeah.

Agito is my favorite bad Rider series. :P

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Waffleman_ posted:

Please tell me I've heard wrong, is one of the primary plot points that the red ranger accidentally jacked off a bull?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PMush Perfect posted:

Please tell me I've heard wrong, is one of the primary plot points that the red ranger accidentally jacked off a bull?

it's absolutely not a primary plot point

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It is however one of the first jokes in the film

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xarbala posted:

It is however one of the first jokes in the film

awesome

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah the villain needs the last of the bull semen to finish her terrible looking giant monster.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

It's at 50% aggregate right now and almost every positive review says "This movie has many problems but I guess it has good action and isn't as bad as I expected considering the franchise" or the like. That's not high praise. While the negative reviews absolutely tear into it. I can't really say that's "varying wildly" because it's exactly what I expected from a very lame looking "gritty" Power Rangers reboot that's scared of its own shadow.

Also considering it's only at 14 reviews and the positive reviews aren't glowing, it has nowhere to go but down in the eyes of critics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's at 50% aggregate right now and almost every positive review says "This movie has many problems but I guess it has good action and isn't as bad as I expected considering the franchise" or the like. That's not high praise. While the negative reviews absolutely tear into it. I can't really say that's "varying wildly" because it's exactly what I expected from a very lame looking "gritty" Power Rangers reboot that's scared of its own shadow.

Also considering it's only at 14 reviews and the positive reviews aren't glowing, it has nowhere to go but down in the eyes of critics.

oh no critics don't like the dumb superhero movie based on a children's franchise from the 90s based on a japanese show from the 70s

what a surprise

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

oh no critics don't like the dumb superhero movie based on a children's franchise from the 90s based on a japanese show from the 70s

what a surprise

It's shocking (not really lol) but nerdy superhero movies get great reviews very often. We don't live in the 90s or early 2000s where we had crappy Hulk or X-Men movies that everyone made fun of every year. The standard is much higher with Marvel and such and nerd culture is mainstream now. Even more recently, look at the very positive reviews of Captain America: Civil War or Doctor Strange. Critics eat Marvel and other quality nerdy superhero stuff up. Hell, look at how well Pacific Rim was received and it's the closest thing to an original sentai property we've gotten lately. But the keyword is quality and this Power Rangers movie is almost certainly not up to that caliber.

All I'm staying is the standard for nerd movies is no longer "Maybe this dumb poo poo won't be that bad" when Marvel films gross literal billions now. I'm extending this same standard to the upcoming Ghost in the Shell too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, I just learned that the guy who played Kamen Rider Psyga in the Faiz movie also played Lu Bu in the 2010 Three Kingdoms TV series. That's pretty neat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I just learned that the guy who played Kamen Rider Psyga in the Faiz movie also played Lu Bu in the 2010 Three Kingdoms TV series. That's pretty neat.

I'm impressed that I remembered that Psyga was the one who spoke perfect English.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's shocking (not really lol) but nerdy superhero movies get great reviews very often. We don't live in the 90s or early 2000s where we had crappy Hulk or X-Men movies that everyone made fun of every year. The standard is much higher with Marvel and such and nerd culture is mainstream now. Even more recently, look at the very positive reviews of Captain America: Civil War or Doctor Strange. Critics eat Marvel and other quality nerdy superhero stuff up. Hell, look at how well Pacific Rim was received and it's the closest thing to an original sentai property we've gotten lately. But the keyword is quality and this Power Rangers movie is almost certainly not up to that caliber.

All I'm staying is the standard for nerd movies is no longer "Maybe this dumb poo poo won't be that bad" when Marvel films gross literal billions now. I'm extending this same standard to the upcoming Ghost in the Shell too.

marvel comics has a cultural cachet that power rangers never had and will never have

if you don't think the name of the movie had a fuckload of baggage, you're insane

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
unrelated, im back on that "obtain all the sentai i can in case it ever drops off the internet" kick, if anyone has TinyHenshin's Magiranger, specifically eps 46 and 47, i would appreciate a seed or an upload

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm impressed that I remembered that Psyga was the one who spoke perfect English.

Being able to communicate in multiple languages was also part of his job.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

marvel comics has a cultural cachet that power rangers never had and will never have

if you don't think the name of the movie had a fuckload of baggage, you're insane
Stop getting offended about people thinking a movie is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Stop getting offended about people thinking a movie is bad.

Ignore him, he has difficulty thinking that anything related to this could have been good, and he acts aggressively when he perceives the possibility that it COULD have been good because it is so unnatural to him.

Wanting anything from this film other than a rancid pile of poo poo is an inconceivable notion that confounds him.

When you get right down to it, there is no difference in the story of Power Rangers and any given Marvel or DC super hero. Power Rangers are basically Green Lanterns but there are five of them. Alien tech powers that are magical, they fight aliens. Nothing is inherently silly in the original set up, just coached in 90s kid show trappings and ideas.

Not unlike the sillier iterations of other famous super heroes. The difference is that Power Rangers, thankfully, has never had a period of time where they have be amoral murders and utter assholes because big name fans took over the reigns and completely missed the point of the properties, or what made the good mature stories work- namely the complexity of the scripts, not the nature of the tone.

As bad as this movie will be, it'll still be better than the vast majority of comic books made in the 90s that are equally as stupid and immature as Power Rangers, just nowhere near as fun.

• Locked thread