Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

You know for a fact that if it happened to Trump and not Clinton the people currently complaining would not be. That's what I am driving at, it reads as self-serving.

Yeah that's probably true for like 95% of them

I still think that for the senate first past the post is dumb.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Most of the people in the city try to get the gently caress out due to it being a disgusting, angry place

depends on the city

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I mean, I could pull a rural Wisconsin and just get high on heroin, drink and beat my significant other to vent my frustrations.

You're trolling now but dammit it's getting me riled up all the same

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

USSAr posted:

cities are so progressive that the minorities are purposefully relegated to the poorer areas of the city

makes you think huh?

also, my lord, do that hate homeless people (who often have mental disabilities)

Lmao, I never considered this but yah, the city is the most stratified, class based environment there is, try to look a certain way and walk into a nice building downtown, you'll have security on you in milliseconds

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tallgeese posted:

Again, the issue is in how you present the argument.

It's not the idea itself. The problem is who is making it, and the perception of why they are making it.

In short, I question if anyone believes you when you seem to be expressing concern about the voters of upstate NY. Not even people in Manhattan care about their votes.

You know for a fact that if it happened to Trump and not Clinton the people currently complaining would not be. That's what I am driving at, it reads as self-serving.

I could equally argue that celebrating the EC as the winners is self serving.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Poor people in the city literally get stepped over as they lay dying of cold and starvation

But what enlightened creatures live here

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Your classicism is misguided. Do you really think poor folks choose to be poor?

They voted away chances at healthcare and education so they can get news job in favor of Trump's policy of gently caress you give me money, so in the case of rural America, yes.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

lol yeah

then they gerrymandered the gently caress out of the place so in a area with 10 congressional districts and a 75%+ black population there are still somehow 8 republican representatives

It's an important lesson about pandora box. if you crack open a door for "legitimate reasons", dont be surprised when someone who didn't think those reasons were legitimate proceeds to completely remove the hinges ands and poo poo in your entryway.

We'd be so much better off if gerrymandering were illegal instead of something meant to be carefully curated.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I've spent almost equal portions of my life in urban and rural environments and classism is real loving stupid. People just try to make money and hope they can make their lives better. Where you live or better income doesn't give you moral superiority and anybody that believes it does is an idiot.

^^^^^Yeah gerrymandering is bad. I wish there were a way to outlaw it and lobbying. But both benefit all politicians so that'll never happen.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Panzeh posted:

You could, but you're advocating for a change and they aren't.

The onus is on you to convince others, and I am simply telling you that you do a very poor job.

The fact you were unable to counter my questioning of your earnestness proves my point for me.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

It is but it happens every time. The Dems and their supporters were actually deploying journalists to sing it's praises right before the election because they thought the election might go the other way. Ultimately when you look at the system independent of the 2 parties and your own preferences it makes sense why they do it that way. The entire point of the US government and the Constitution was to set up legal protections for people who weren't used to having them previously.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Honky Dong Country posted:

I've spent almost equal portions of my life in urban and rural environments and classism is real loving stupid. People just try to make money and hope they can make their lives better. Where you live or better income doesn't give you moral superiority and anybody that believes it does is an idiot.

It's a powerful illusion friend and it's hard not to fall under the spell

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

They voted away chances at healthcare and education so they can get news job in favor of Trump's policy of gently caress you give me money, so in the case of rural America, yes.

I don't believe you actually grew up in the heart of it if you think the hard working but still in poverty folks comprising the rust belt wouldn't vote for a sliver of a chance at gainful employment.

Do you also have disdain for inner city minorities similarly gripped by drug epidemics who don't bother to vote?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

nice try bud now that i'm grown up and live in a city i can pay money 2 drink bad coffee on the reg ipso facto

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Because they see the juxtaposition between winning the popular vote but still losing anyway and they get mad about it.

This however tbf is a complaint as old as the first past the post system it criticizes.

e: For the presidential election I don't think the EC is that big of a deal considering the EC has only tilted in favor of the party that lost the popular vote like what 3 times in our nation's history?

The Senate should be proportional though imo.

And it's only happened 40% of the time since 2000

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scrubs season six posted:

And it's only happened 40% of the time since 2000

Yeah but Bush wasn't because of the EC, Bush was because voter fraud and disenfranchisement in FL.

And if the Dems didn't throw the working class overboard while insisting the economy is fine and we're at full employment welp they might not have lost "the Blue Wall."

Neither of those two things is the fault of the EC.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

I don't believe you actually grew up in the heart of it if you think the hard working but still in poverty folks comprising the rust belt wouldn't vote for a sliver of a chance at gainful employment.

Do you also have disdain for inner city minorities similarly gripped by drug epidemics who don't bother to vote?

I lived in nowhere Wisconsin where the most people could hope for was a lovely factory that paid 11$ and you got two sick days a year and Kwik Trips, which were the best chance for anyone who couldn't leave. And anecdotal experience is people vote based on the following "I'm scared of Muslims" "MEXICANS!!!!!!!!" "Did you know Obama's middle name is Huessain" and "Police should be able to execute minorities at will"
They've been duped and will continue to be duped forever, because they are irrecoverably dumb.

I hold disdain for anyone who doesn't vote, but the inner city minority has more of an excuse with really poo poo access to voting.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
this isnt about the inner city, it's about how trump is a very bad president and his supporters are very dumb

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
how did Obama win over so many of those same voters if they're beyond help and too stupid to bother reaching

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

how did Obama win over so many of those same voters if they're beyond help and too stupid to bother reaching

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Obama got almost the exact same number of votes in 2012 as Clinton got, as for why she didn't get the same number of votes in the rust belt, I don't know, people could have moved, people could have used that four years to decide to huff a bunch of paint and be convinced by Trump's bigly message.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Toadvine posted:

Obviously they're too stupid to be consistent

E; or consistently stupid enough to follow whoever tells them the feel-goodest lies about the future

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm not going to try to understand or relate to those people. They should understand that I know what is best for them. But instead they don't do what I want. It's not because they can literally smell my contempt for them wafting off of me, but because they're either ivory tower shitheads or racist methheads. I hate them for not doing what I, the only smart voter, want them to do. There's a 0% chance that I'm as dumb and gullible as every other voter because my choice of candidate couldn't possibly be a lying sack of poo poo.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Toadvine posted:

Uh duh, his cousin Osama Tim Laden or whatever pulled the ol' New York Cow Tipper and that started the process of getting O'Bummer into the white house. His deth-reign was planned long before you were even born. It's like you aren't even listening when Alex Jones shouts the truth at you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Obama got almost the exact same number of votes in 2012 as Clinton got, as for why she didn't get the same number of votes in the rust belt, I don't know, people could have moved, people could have used that four years to decide to huff a bunch of paint and be convinced by Trump's bigly message.

Hint: people felt that the Dems totally threw them overboard and it was a 'gently caress you' vote

Or you know yeah maybe you're right maybe the entire population moved and switched places with a bunch of people from the South which still went red anyway that makes sense.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

I'm not going to try to understand or relate to those people. They should understand that I know what is best for them. But instead they don't do what I want. It's not because they can literally smell my contempt for them wafting off of me, but because they're either ivory tower shitheads or racist methheads. I hate them for not doing what I, the only smart voter, want them to do. There's a 0% chance that I'm as dumb and gullible as every other voter because my choice of candidate couldn't possibly be a lying sack of poo poo.

Show me a candidate willing to say we're all going to die in a Mad Max hellscape and I'll cast my first honest vote ever.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Hint: people felt that the Dems totally threw them overboard and it was a 'gently caress you' vote

Or you know yeah maybe you're right maybe the entire population moved and switched places with a bunch of people from the South which still went red anyway that makes sense.

That's not doing much to persuade me off my point of "they are irrecoverably stupid"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

That's not doing much to persuade me off my point of "they are irrecoverably stupid"

I mean it's stupid to vote for Trump, that's true. But imagine how stupid it is to nominate and run someone capable of losing to him.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i get those people no i get u people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Well they weren't wrong about the Dems throwing them overboard and there seems to be quite a few leftists looking around and going "wtf is this garbage you are feeding us" so all in all

:shrug:

Maybe time for Pelosi and Clinton and Co to get the gently caress out and let some fresh blood in if they actually give a poo poo about anything other than their own power and hooking up their rich friends.

new phone who dis posted:

I mean it's stupid to vote for Trump, that's true. But imagine how stupid it is to nominate and run someone capable of losing to him.

lol

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol imagine voting 4 trump and being like y eah that was a good choice 2 vote for turkmenbashi

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Piss de Bundy posted:

this isnt about the inner city, it's about how trump is a very bad president and his supporters are very dumb

Checks out.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Country people are loving dumb but so are city people. Hope this helps

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Well they weren't wrong about the Dems throwing them overboard and there seems to be quite a few leftists looking around and going "wtf is this garbage you are feeding us" so all in all

:shrug:

lol

I don't..see how Clinton was that awful of candidate, she was third term Obama without charisma. Like Bernie was the infinitely preferable option, but we didn't get him as a choice, so the electorate decides to poo poo the bed and vote for someone who is really going to throw them overboard.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what if we just let the principal do his job so the school doesnt burn down

trump voter: what if...the JANITOR was in charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I don't..see how Clinton was that awful of candidate, she was third term Obama without charisma. Like Bernie was the infinitely preferable option, but we didn't get him as a choice, so the electorate decides to poo poo the bed and vote for someone who is really going to throw them overboard.

You don't see why rust belt people may have had problems with NAFTA and TPP queen Hillary Clinton?

The Dems ratfucked Sanders and paid the price. The price is 4 years of this clown show. Maybe 8 if they insist on keeping all the losers in place.

If Hillary runs again be prepared for the same result.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Here we see a person without charisma attempt to devalue the absolute necessity of charisma to sell your ideas.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

Mordor She Wrote posted:

a third term obama is the problem. without the charisma people weren't easily swayed with empty promises. it would be another four years of absolutely nothing happening at all beyond broken promise after broken promise. candidate obama was cool, president obama was lame and a coward

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

Here we see a person without charisma attempt to devalue the absolute necessity of charisma to sell your ideas.

Lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
How can anyone still not understand whY running Hillary in 2016, when anti establishment sentiment was through the roof, was a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

You don't see why rust belt people may have had problems with NAFTA and TPP queen Hillary Clinton?

The Dems ratfucked Sanders and paid the price. The price is 4 years of this clown show. Maybe 8 if they insist on keeping all the losers in place.

If Hillary runs again be prepared for the same result.

Going back to my original point, Trump supporters are actually retarded.

Tallgeese posted:

Enjoy voting for lovely celebrities then.

• Locked thread