Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Except that's not what happened since you didn't get a point for losing in OT before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Except that's not what happened since you didn't get a point for losing in OT before.

Fair enough. OT I'm less annoyed about since it is (mostly) still "hockey". I guess that was a dumb rant that can be summed up as "gently caress the shootout".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The best game so far was Caps-Penguins that ended like 8-7 or something, in OT, with fuckin 9 goals in the second period. The second best is when the Caps took a big dump on Columbus' winning streak.

The 8-7 game was A Good Game.

Speaking of the win streak, Pens/Jackets in a battle for the NHL lead in which the Pens came to Nationwide and got dunked on was fun.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

xzzy posted:

Wife and I cut the cord.. is there a legal option for streaming playoffs this year in the US?

As far as I know, the nbcsports website requires one to log in with a cable company account to be able to stream through there.

You may want to look into Sling TV or PS Vue. Both offer packages for ~$25/month that include NBCSN.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I think the 3 point system would probably be the best.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Under Willie Desjardins, neither of the Sedins are going to break 50 pts, probably.

God drat

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I agree that the 3 point system should be adopted on principle, but I think there was a study done that it wound't really have changed much since the adoption of the shootout.

Still, a game magically being worth more if it goes to OT is dumb as hell.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

Under Willie Desjardins, neither of the Sedins are going to break 50 pts, probably.

God drat

For the love of god please trade them to a contender team next year so they can end their careers on a high note. :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don't care about points at all but I love the three on three overtime and hate the shootout. Get rid of the shootout, make the 3v3 overtime 10 mins, no commercials, and let games end in a tie if need be.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I like my dumb gay team that are fun to watch. After the cess pool of the last decade I don't care. It's fun to be excited for the team again even if they do poo poo the bed in the first round. No one with a soul could not like Mitch Marner. Stop hating fun.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't care about points at all but I love the three on three overtime and hate the shootout. Get rid of the shootout, make the 3v3 overtime 10 mins, no commercials, and let games end in a tie if need be.

Anything that gives us more 3v3 is good with me.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
3v3 was a really good change

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ties were one of the best parts of hockey. Ambiguity is valuable

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love the 3v3 tournament during the All Star game. The NHL actually figured out how to make an All Star game entertaining and relevant. The NBA and NFL need to badly fix theirs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make all hockey 3v3, power plays give you a 4v3. Double number of teams in the league to give a home to all the now unemployed skaters.

(then watch GM's ruin it by lobbying for smaller rinks so they can cram more seats in)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

God drat

There is literally nothing left to care about with the team as it is structured right now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JawKnee posted:

God drat

As I mentioned after going to the NYI game, they were barely trying. Now you can blame that on the coach (and I will happily join in), but they're still getting paid $7million/year, so put in some loving effort. They had 3 shifts were you could see that they turned it on and they almost scored on all 3.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ties are dumb and extra points are dumb. I've always seen anything after regulation as a means to ending a game, not some goal to aim for that results in consolation points (kinda like how they do the playoffs!).

How about this craaaazy idea: 1 point for a win, 0 for a loss. gently caress ROW as a tie-breaker, gimme heads to head or goals scored or whatever.

And if we're going to entertain a 3 point system, why not 5?
Regulation win - 5
OT win - 4
SO win - 3
OT loss - 2
SO loss - eliminated from playoff contention.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ties are fine. sometimes neither team is the best.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

SO loss - eliminated from playoff contention.

undercover detroit poster spotted

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shootouts should involve guns.

Basically the worst thing to have ever happened was the gold medal game in the world juniors being decided by a shootout.

regular season NHL shootouts are a close second.

If you need a game to end on time, make the nets bigger in overtime.

ed: also, views

Talbot only 3 wins away from the most oiler goalie wins in a season ever. Mcdavid with a fire lit under his rear end is a magical thing. Mcdavid playoff hockey is going to be a treat for everybody.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Powershift posted:

Basically the worst thing to have ever happened was the gold medal game in the world juniors being decided by a shootout.

actually that ruled because Canada lost

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Not exactly like they play a dozen games a season and losing a few coin flips will routinely make a huge difference.

I'm only behind ties if they result in no points for anyone. You win the game you get a point.

Vvv- that too.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 21, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I didn't really care about the shootout until we got the glory that was 3v3 OT. Just extend 3v3 to 10 minutes and there will be basically no shootouts

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Start with 5 min of 4v4, then 10min of 3v3

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

santanotreal posted:

Start with 5 min of 4v4, then 10min of 3v3

Tiebreaker is a goalie cage-match replete with 20 folding chairs and 12 foot step-ladders.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

as much as i hate ties, i think i'd be ok with this so long as you don't get a point for a tie. wins = 1 point, loss/tie = 0 points.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Baba Oh Really posted:

You may want to look into Sling TV or PS Vue. Both offer packages for ~$25/month that include NBCSN.

We use VUE and really like it. I'm pretty sure the lowest package is $30 but that at least gets you NBC Sports.

During the playoffs they will show some games on MSNBC, too, right? Well, That's part of the VUE's cheapest package as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Krime posted:

We use VUE and really like it. I'm pretty sure the lowest package is $30 but that at least gets you NBC Sports.

During the playoffs they will show some games on MSNBC, too, right? Well, That's part of the VUE's cheapest package as well.

Yeah MSNBC and maybe even CNBC will get a few games.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

Talbot only 3 wins away from the most oiler goalie wins in a season ever. Mcdavid with a fire lit under his rear end is a magical thing. Mcdavid playoff hockey is going to be a treat for everybody.

McDavid was insane during the first period last night and could've easily had 5 points from that period alone. He also went around Norris Trophy Winner Drew Doughty like it was nothing:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/844002896945410048

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gently caress the Leafs forever and ever. They were never cool and are always lame.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus extends Lukas Sedlak, Scott Harrington, and Markus Hannikainen.

As someone who never watched hockey with ties (or any sport until dabbling in Premier League in the last year), I want a winner after each game. If that means extra 3 on 3, so be it.

Please be gentle when you beat me for being a blasphemer.

Krime posted:

NBC/CNBC/NBCSN/USA/NHL Network.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For those of us in the states, to give you some context as to the freakout the media has over Toronto...

Y'know how Notre Dame football is still cruising in the national media scene on a very undeserved reputation? It's a lot like that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Snapped this picture at a stoplight on the commute home from work today. Wanna buy this dude a beer. :cheers:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Snapped this picture at a stoplight on the commute home from work today. Wanna buy this dude a beer. :cheers:

no truck nuts

6/10

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

As someone who never watched hockey with ties (or any sport until dabbling in Premier League in the last year), I want a winner after each game. If that means extra 3 on 3, so be it.

Please be gentle when you beat me for being a blasphemer.

You're literally worse than Gary Bettman

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Owners will never go for a three point win system because it breaks the illusion that teams are in a playoff race when they have a sub .500 winning percentage.

Just like how the hot issue in the NBA is coaches resting players and the league getting mad about it. The obvious answer is to shorten the season but no one will ever get that to go over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

McDavid was insane during the first period last night and could've easily had 5 points from that period alone. He also went around Norris Trophy Winner Drew Doughty like it was nothing:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/844002896945410048

He's like as gimmick as early career Ovechkin for me. He does the same thing every time and you know it's coming but you just can't stop him because his speed is so insane. If he works on his shot like Sid did and becomes a better goalscorer the sky is the limit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ties weren't bad and the NHL is really never going to fix "no one scores anymore" huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Krime posted:

If I get this for the Caps playoff run (instead of doing r/nhlstreams, which is a HUGE pain), it's going to end up breaking my staunch embargo on cable and the passive TV watching it encourages. I guess my wife will be happy.

I'd gladly pay you directly, NHL, why won't you let me? :(

• Locked thread