Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Watching The Wonderful Land of Oz - what in the living gently caress am I looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Basically a local theater quality production Barry Mahon filmed and released as a movie. At least one cast member he forgot to get their name and no one knows who they are. His son plays Tip so that's why he probably did it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tars Tarkas posted:

Basically a local theater quality production Barry Mahon filmed and released as a movie. At least one cast member he forgot to get their name and no one knows who they are. His son plays Tip so that's why he probably did it.

I have to wonder if anybody thought they were doing a good job in this mess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Fever Lake and man, what the gently caress was up with that ending?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Follow-up question re: Oz. Did his son do double-duty as the young Queen?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

No, that was another kid who couldn't act.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

RandomPauI posted:

“All right, son, now I’m gonna make a movie about how you were supposed to be a girl.”

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lemme just pay to get script advice from the writer of Meet Dave, hold on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen Replica? Just watched it after not following Rifftrax for a while, and while it isn't as funny as Birdemic, somehow the movie itself manages to be even more incompetent. This time it's not just the birds, they're using entirely CGI sets for no good reason, which are predictably horrible and used mostly in lieu of filming in, like, an office or a meeting room. They also consistently cut to people who are supposedly walking half a second too soon, and there's a least convincing car crash ever filmed. Really, great stuff from our favorite auteur director.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lemme just pay to get script advice from the writer of Meet Dave, hold on.

Bill speaks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I got all the way to the end of that before I even remembered/realized which movie Meet Dave actually is, hahaha.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
"Clone-atron" - Wasn't that a Parliament/Funkadelic album from the 70s?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone seen Replica? Just watched it after not following Rifftrax for a while, and while it isn't as funny as Birdemic, somehow the movie itself manages to be even more incompetent. This time it's not just the birds, they're using entirely CGI sets for no good reason, which are predictably horrible and used mostly in lieu of filming in, like, an office or a meeting room. They also consistently cut to people who are supposedly walking half a second too soon, and there's a least convincing car crash ever filmed. Really, great stuff from our favorite auteur director.

That's the weird thing about Nguyen, his films somehow get less competent as he goes on. Julie and Jack is a batshit insane mess to be sure, but it's also somehow better made than Replica or Birdemics 1 & 2, even in terms of story. Yeah the computer ghost thing is loving stupid, as is the VR twist, but you can see the beginning of an idea there. I'd hate it less somehow if they'd made it clear from the outset that it was a virtual reality dating service in the near future, as opposed to just surprising the audience with it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Wait, replica and was made after birdemic? I figured it was his first film, like before Jack and Julie...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It was his second IIRC, after Julie and Jack, but before Birdemic.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I wonder what the flaw was that made that his only unreleased movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

I wonder what the flaw was that made that his only unreleased movie.

It exists.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I just watched Yambao for the first time and holy poo poo is this movie bonkers and kind of good in a lot of very strange ways. It seems racist as all gently caress, but this is the most predictable thing about it for being 1957. And in more than a few ways it is racist as gently caress. However, there's something else going on here if you look underneath the surface.

First, the music is treated with such reverence and authenticity. I listen to a bit of Western African music (yes I'm one of these dumb nerds) and this is exactly it. It's not a dumb Westernification and glossing over of it. It's straight up and legitimate. And it's good! Second, the plot could be seen as a metaphor of the European / West African dialectic as it existed in the mid-1800s. It's kind of a warts-and-all telling of how it was back then while neither condescending to nor pumping up either side. The shittiest thing about it is the "Master" is way too beneficent and understanding to be real. It sort of plays into a "slaves had it pretty good" racist trope. I guess some credit should be given for even using words like "master" and "slave" in a movie from the '50s, but still it's a lovely notion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So, uh...Birdemic.

First Rifftrax I don't think I'll ever be able to finish. I only made it to to the highly localized forest fire escape. And I'm no stranger to schlock, either. I've seen and loved Samurai Cop, ROTOR, Rock n' Roll Nightmare, Dangerous Men, etc. I think Neil Breen is an absolute treasure. But Birdemic is so loving excruciating to watch that I literally cannot understand the following it has. It isn't even entertaining bad. It's just trash.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So, uh...Birdemic.

First Rifftrax I don't think I'll ever be able to finish. I only made it to to the highly localized forest fire escape. And I'm no stranger to schlock, either. I've seen and loved Samurai Cop, ROTOR, Rock n' Roll Nightmare, Dangerous Men, etc. I think Neil Breen is an absolute treasure. But Birdemic is so loving excruciating to watch that I literally cannot understand the following it has. It isn't even entertaining bad. It's just trash.

Recommend watching Rollergator next.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

2DCAT posted:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So, uh...Birdemic.

On one hand, you're so close to the end. On the other hand, you've seen all there really is to see. The movie really peters out in the last ten minutes or so.

Anyway, I hear a mountain lion...

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

2DCAT posted:

I can't emphasize this enough.

Also watch Fun in Balloonland.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I sure hope the OST to Rollergator exists somewhere

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All backer number stretch goals have been reached; there's going to be a new slate of them announced next week.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Lowtax joins the fun!
We’re happy to announce that Rich Kyanka (aka Lowtax) will be producing a video for RiffTrax Live 2017. Fans may remember him from our riff of the classic Troll 2, and we couldn’t be happier to be adding his hilarious perspective to RiffTrax Live. More news to follow!

Interesting to see them collaborating again.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

holy poo poo, I was not expecting that

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

2DCAT posted:

Holy poo poo I just watched it and... and... I have questions.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Still waiting for that riff Lowtax said he was doing with them back around 2011. We all know it's Nukie, c'mon.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So on their twitter feed, they posted a link to the ideas page saying that one of them was coming soon. Now, what's interesting is that it links specifically to page 2...so we have the following contenders:

Grizzly (1979)
The Dark Knight Rises
Mission to Mars (2000)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Way of the Dragon
The Shining (wait what)
Varan: The Unbelievable
Godzilla 2000
Dante's Peak
Volcano
Prometheus
Mortal Kombat
Knowing
Transformers Age of Extinction
DOA Dead or Alive
Contact
Blood The Last Vampire
Gymkata
Ninja Assassin
KISS Meets Phantom of the Park

Now, the clear frontrunners on that list are probably The Dark Knight Rises (after that BATS reference on their previous kickstarter update), and Transformers 4 (because Mike hates that franchise with a vengeance). But I have to hope beyond hope that it's Gymkata.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2017

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I've never seen their casablanca riff but I'd be interested to see what they'd do with the shining even though that's 100% not it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So on their twitter feed, they posted a link to the ideas page saying that one of them was coming soon. Now, what's interesting is that it links specifically to page 2...so we have the following contenders:

Grizzly (1979)
The Dark Knight Rises
Mission to Mars (2000)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Way of the Dragon
The Shining (wait what)
Varan: The Unbelievable
Godzilla 2000
Dante's Peak
Volcano
Prometheus
Mortal Kombat
Knowing
Transformers Age of Extinction
DOA Dead or Alive
Contact
Blood The Last Vampire
Gymkata
Ninja Assassin
KISS Meets Phantom of the Park

Now, the clear frontrunners on that list are probably The Dark Knight Rises (after that BATS reference on their previous kickstarter update), and Transformers 4 (because Mike hates that franchise with a vengeance). But I have to hope beyond hope that it's Gymkata.

I'd be the happiest person ever if it was Gymkata

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone seen Replica? ... Really, great stuff from our favorite auteur director.
I just watched it after getting it from the weekend sale (coupon POTOFGOLD) and I loved it. It is a story of a top salesman for a tech company meets a beautiful lady, takes her out for an awkward meal and carousel ride, and each of them both drives and parks-- one does both successfully! I had tears in my eyes by the end of the police interrogation that starts with the cop continuously flubbing his lines, changes to being dubbed by someone else, and then loses sound completely.

I saw Birdemic without Rifftrax first and laughed, then saw it with Rifftrax and it became my favorite, then saw it Rifftrax Live and bust a kidney laughing. Seeing all the exact same locations with poor dialog and people walking almost like humans again really made this one hit with me. The pacing is definitely better than Birdemic so I'll give that one to Nguyen.

Re: Fun in Balloonland it starts off really slowly and creepy and I wasn't looking forward to a whole riff like that, but then it switched to a WTF Parade and it came out way on the plus side.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

CapnBry posted:

Re: Fun in Balloonland it starts off really slowly and creepy and I wasn't looking forward to a whole riff like that, but then it switched to a WTF Parade and it came out way on the plus side.

That's when the mercury kicked in.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
4 days left in the kickstarter, so new stretch goals based on numbers of backers just went up:

5,500 Backers: HUGE Multi-Riffer Tandem Just-the-Jokes Riff of a Blockbuster that YOU will help decide!

(Mike, Kevin, Bill, Bridget and Mary Jo, Janet Varney and Cole Stratton, and Matthew Elliott and Ian Potter for whichever movie wins this poll):

- Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Captain America: Civil War
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Avengers: Age of Ultron

6,250 Backers: MOTHRA Just the Jokes Riff!

7,000 Backers: SAMURAI COP Live show Blu-ray!

8,000 Backers: Just-the-Jokes WESTWORLD Riff!

9,000 Backers: STAR WARS - THE LAST JEDI Riff

10,000 Backers: IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE Riff!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kinda hope they do Batman. I mean Not-Harry Potter would be a good one too, but the Marvel ones probably won't be as funny if the past Marvel riffs is a indicator. Also why they doing a Last Jedi riff that won't happen until next year when they could do Rogue One and THEN do Last Jedi next year for the next Kickstarter?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Are the people listed after Mary Jo good riffers? Don't think I know them.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Breadallelogram posted:

I have a riff (that I can't remember the name of now) that has Janet Varney and Cole Stratton. They're pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Breadallelogram posted:

Little Janet Varney appears very frequently on Paul F. Thompkins' podcast, Spontaneanation, as well as a few other comedy podcasts I listen to. She is very funny and an accomplished comedic improviser so I expect her riffing ability to be quite good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Overwined posted:

Little Janet Varney appears very frequently on Paul F. Thompkins' podcast, Spontaneanation, as well as a few other comedy podcasts I listen to. She is very funny and an accomplished comedic improviser so I expect her riffing ability to be quite good.

Yeah, she's easily one of the best improvisers on Spont, imo.
The riffs that she and Cole do are the only non-MST3K alum riffs that I enjoy.

(She also does voice acting, she was Korra in The Legend of Korra)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Breadallelogram posted:

Janet and Cole are good. The other two are unfunny fat British idiots.

• Locked thread