Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I don't understand a gently caress you vote

It's really easy. I vote, and then Hollywood shits their pantaloons because no one listened to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I know plenty of people who think Trump is the answer to all their problems.

But you're not wrong, I don't understand a gently caress you vote, particularly in this case, it's such a monumentally idiotic concept that I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of self preservation instinct deciding to do that.

When confronted with the undefeatable face of authority some wilt. Others shout "suck my dick, you fuckman" into the void.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mordor She Wrote posted:

As opposed to "currently under investigation and has been under investigation a myriad of times for corruption" Trump?

That is why personal charisma is important.

Trump had enough that he could convince people who otherwise wouldn't think so that the investigations of him were biased or themselves corrupt.

Clinton, on the other hand, lacked this ability and attempted to make up for it with a finely honed political organization and celebrity endorsements.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

new phone who dis posted:

When confronted with the undefeatable face of authority some wilt. Others shout "suck my dick, you fuckman" into the void.

p much

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
trump is very bad tho

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also honestly it really didn't help that after the primary was over the "Bernie Bros" were treated with dripping disdain by the HRC camp. Who the gently caress was running their strategy and campaign exactly because loving lol.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Others just go "All of this poo poo can gently caress right off" and just stay home or write in something dumb.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I mean the whole of Europe is doing the same thing it's not like Trump is an isolated incident. Trump is not the disease. He is a symptom of the disease the Dems want to continue ignoring.

People aren't all just irrecoverably stupid. They're just fed up with all this bullshit for the most part.

This is where I disagree with you, convincing someone who voted for predatory billionaire run feudal system proposed by Trump isn't going to go "oh well maybe Sander's/Scandinavian style government would work!". Saying I'm mad and then throwing out any sort of progress in favor of loving yourself is pretty stupid.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

Also honestly it really didn't help that after the primary was over the "Bernie Bros" were treated with dripping disdain by the HRC camp. Who the gently caress was running their strategy and campaign exactly because loving lol.

People who thought it was impossible for them to lose, so it really didn't matter.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

People who thought it was impossible for them to lose, so it really didn't matter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Saying I'm mad and then throwing out any sort of progress in favor of loving yourself is pretty stupid.

The point I'm trying to convey is that people felt disillusioned by the Dems and didn't feel like HRC offered any sort of real progress at all. It wasn't a choice of "slightly better or get hosed by Trump" to them, it was a choice of "continue wasting away for 4-8 years before the inevitable wife leaving you and suicide or throw a wrench in it all."

I mean the woman was directly asked a question about income inequality and breaking up the big banks and responded with "well that won't help women though, what will help women is more women in corporate boardrooms!"

It may not be 100% rational but I surely understand the reaction of "well gently caress you then."

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

This is where I disagree with you, convincing someone who voted for predatory billionaire run feudal system proposed by Trump isn't going to go "oh well maybe Sander's/Scandinavian style government would work!". Saying I'm mad and then throwing out any sort of progress in favor of loving yourself is pretty stupid.

Progress being handing over the country to predatory mega-corporate boardrooms?

Oh yes please, may I have more progress because a dude with a dick can piss in a stall with a woman on the door

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol this owns

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

This is proven false, like they polled a bunch of people and Bernie had cross platform appeal because he bothered to speak to the needs of non coastal voters

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Piss de Bundy posted:

trump is very bad tho

hmm I think trump is only normal bad

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
You know you have a real good thread when Mordin and Spunky are the voices of reason.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Progress being handing over the country to predatory mega-corporate boardrooms?

Oh yes please, may I have more progress because a dude with a dick can piss in a stall with a woman on the door

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot you constantly get jacked off when you go into your Chicago bathrooms.

Enjoy your worsening environmental disasters caused by your complete lack of environmental regulation.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk either way just writing off wide swathes of the population isn't really productive. She lost, get over it. Being salty about it for 4 years won't help anything at all. Some people are irrecoverably stupid, sure. But not everyone.

And btw it's pretty telling to me that her presence after the election is basically 0 while Bernie continues to fight for everything he was talking about. Shows to me which person actually gave a poo poo about those issues versus which person treated them like just another way to get votes.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Enjoy your worsening environmental disasters caused by your complete lack of environmental regulation.

The environment is gonna get a loving for sure :(

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

The point I'm trying to convey is that people felt disillusioned by the Dems and didn't feel like HRC offered any sort of real progress at all. It wasn't a choice of "slightly better or get hosed by Trump" to them, it was a choice of "continue wasting away for 4-8 years before the inevitable wife leaving you and suicide or throw a wrench in it all."

I mean the woman was directly asked a question about income inequality and breaking up the big banks and responded with "well that won't help women though, what will help women is more women in corporate boardrooms!"

It may not be 100% rational but I surely understand the reaction of "well gently caress you then."

You got a link to this? Holy hell.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot you constantly get jacked off when you go into your Chicago bathrooms.

China builds coal plants for fun and all we do is offshore our chemical death factories

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i always thought the unexpected results of the election wud b humbling like hey maybe i don't actually understand big portions of the population of my country but i like the idea that instead it inspires oh i know them better than ever before they r retards

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Idk either way just writing off wide swathes of the population isn't really productive. She lost, get over it. Being salty about it for 4 years won't help anything at all.

And btw it's pretty telling to me that her presence after the election is basically 0 while Bernie continues to fight for everything he was talking about. Shows to me which person actually gave a poo poo about those issues versus which person treated them like just another way to get votes.

The environment is gonna get a loving for sure :(

Well that's why I keep donating to Bernie, I just don't think he'll be able to accomplish anything before he kicks the bucket.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Honky Dong Country posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWM0ukT-Xw

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I paraphrased a bit but

http://inthesetimes.com/article/18962/break-up-banks-end-racism-and-sexism posted:

“Not everything is about an economic theory, right?” Clinton said, kicking off a long, interactive riff with the crowd at a union hall this afternoon.

“If we broke up the big banks tomorrow—and I will if they deserve it, if they pose a systemic risk, I will—would that end racism?”

“No!” the audience yelled back.

I mean just lol idk

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

China builds coal plants for fun and all we do is offshore our chemical death factories

I also forgot about your grand master plan to bring all the chemical death factories here, and poison your own water supply so that your billionaire overlords will decide to clean up their factories, which will totally happen and they won't just laugh in your face.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lmao this owns people going ham by the end

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

social vegan posted:

i always thought the unexpected results of the election wud b humbling like hey maybe i don't actually understand big portions of the population of my country but i like the idea that instead it inspires oh i know them better than ever before they r retards

but they are, and they deserve everything bad that will happen to them under trump

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Piss de Bundy posted:

but they are, and they deserve everything bad that will happen to them under trump

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jesus I closed it 40 seconds in.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

That is why personal charisma is important.

Trump had enough that he could convince people who otherwise wouldn't think so that the investigations of him were biased or themselves corrupt.

Clinton, on the other hand, lacked this ability and attempted to make up for it with a finely honed political organization and celebrity endorsements.

One example I always like to bring up in relation to Clinton's charisma is this one

quote:

During the Democratic debate Saturday, moderator David Muir referenced a 2007 Fortune magazine cover that said "Business Loves Hillary" and asked if corporate America should still love her in 2016.

"Everybody should," Clinton quipped, earning laughs from the audience.

"The CEOs of large multinationals may like Hillary," Sanders said. "They ain't gonna like me and Wall Street is going to like me even less."

Anyone could have seen what people want to hear, yet she just laughed and made a dismissive joke about it. That was actually incredibly off putting. Maybe a real loving answer? It doesn't matter that she went on to say that rich people don't pay their fair share. Laughing at the question and mocking the idea of the blatant corruption everyone knows exists to try and create charisma forcefully does the exact opposite.

If you truly had Charisma you'd be able to direct the conversation and make jokes when appropriate. Maybe bring some gravitas to the situation and stress the importance of wall street as an issue because real people will resonate with that. Nope. Weird and off-putting pageant smiles and inappropriate jokes like you are an alien in human skin that doesn't understand our customs.

That's the entire reason Donald Trump won, he was a lovely despicable human among a sea of animatronic political robots waving their hands and woodenly changing cassette tapes from REPUBLICAN ECONOMICS A and DEMOCRAT JOBS E.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Piss de Bundy posted:

look bud i get it ur here 2 making bad posts just like all of u proud of u

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I also forgot about your grand master plan to bring all the chemical death factories here, and poison your own water supply so that your billionaire overlords will decide to clean up their factories, which will totally happen and they won't just laugh in your face.

We can't even build safe nuclear plants here because communities are so against them, you and I have much more power than say, a guy that lives in a truck tire next to a river everyone shits in and drinks from

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

social vegan posted:

look bud i get it ur here 2 making bad posts just like all of u proud of u

this is all i ever wanted...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

We can't even build safe nuclear plants here because communities are so against them, you and I have much more power than say, a guy that lives in a truck tire next to a river everyone shits in and drinks from

Letting so many nuke plants get shut down is incredibly dumb of us as a nation imo. I should say that I'm biased here though. My family has been in nuclear power (both commercial and naval) all my life. Im a nuclear refueler myself.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Letting so many nuke plants get shut down is incredibly dumb of us as a nation imo. I should say that I'm biased here though. My family has been in nuclear power (both commercial and naval) all my life. Im a nuclear refueler myself.

Its hurts property values so can't have that energy I guess

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

I'll agree to find common ground, that nuclear energy can be done relatively safely and effectively, I believe that France does a good job of managing it. Though I just remember during 9/11 everyone panicking and showing maps of how the Mall of America and the nearby nuclear power point were going to be the next targets and how we were all going to die.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

i wonder how many americans oppose nuclear power because of the stereotypes implied on it by The Simpsons

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Its hurts property values so can't have that energy I guess

Hilariously, none of the pricey lakefront property here would exist without the local plant because the lake is manmade to serve the plant. But yeah it's basically nimby paired with a deliberate campaign of misinformation by environmentalists.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

i wonder how many americans oppose nuclear power because of the stereotypes implied on it by The Simpsons

A lot. But there really was/is a deliberate campaign of misinformation by environmental groups that does more lasting damage imo.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 21, 2017

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Hilariously, none of the pricey lakefront property here would exist without the local plant because the lake is manmade to serve the plant. But yeah it's basically nimby paired with a deliberate campaign of misinformation by environmentalists.

Well I don't think you can really overstate the dangers of nuclear energy, but you can do good risk management, like not building on a fault line, or not being Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Well I don't think you can really overstate the dangers of nuclear energy, but you can do good risk management, like not building on a fault line, or not being Japan.

You can overstate it though. Just the misconception that another Chernobyl will happen here under the right circumstances is either ignorant overstatement or deliberate fearmongering. And I hear that "what about chernobyl huuuuuhhhh" argument a lot. Same goes for Fukishima. None of our plants are in those circumstances, either by reactor design or environment, and despite that both cases caused changes across the industry anyway due to a very pervasive safety culture in both regulation and human performance.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread