Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I thought the dub did a really good job at showing that 2B and 9S's dialogue is often hiding their real, repressed feelings. The different ways 9S says "nothing the machines do has any meaning" over the course of the game are all inflected in subtly different ways and it's pretty cool and well done

On the other hand, I ran through the prologue sequence in Japanese after beating the game in English, and there are definitely a few tonal things they changed with localization. In Japanese, 9S calls her "2B-san," and she quickly insists that he can just call her "2B," which means she's easily letting him get familiar with him. In English though, when 9S calls her "ma'am," she tells him to just call her "2B," but it almost comes across as aloofness, like if she were saying "Stop calling me ma'am. 2B is my designated name for this mission."

Augus posted:

Noticing early on that 2B and 9S seem to swap personalities on a regular basis. One moment she's the one who's unnerved by the implications of what's going on while he's just duty-minded saying "Don't think about it, Morty", the next it's the other way around and 9S is unnerved while 2B is single-minded and saying "Don't think about it, Morty". It's weird.

I just took this as them both being reeeeaaally deep in repression. Instead of it being like, 2B is just following orders and not thinking about it while 9S is actively questioning, it seems more like they're both questioning what's going on around them but neither of them is willing to actually acknowledge it. 2B definitely takes the "I'm a soldier, I'm supposed to bury my feelings" approach, but consider that 9S sees all sorts of weird poo poo when the two of them are out on their mission together, but he never once thinks to bring it up to 2B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Snak posted:

I haven't tried the Japanese VA yet, but I really like her characterization in English. She comes off as someone who does have emotions, but doesn't think they are professional in the workplace. So they are a bit repressed. I've only completed Route A, but I really liked that, over the course of it, she becomes more outwardly expressive as the stakes rise and it becomes more than just a mission and following protocol. Like her investment in the events of the story mirrors my own.

Honestly I think "Emotions are prohibited" is just her own personal mantra to cope rather than a real rule since nobody else you see in the game ever enforces it. It's also essential for her to be able to continue executing her real mission over and over without completely breaking mentally

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Some questions about post-ending C stuff : I see that I unlocked chapter select now. If I want to get ending D, I assume I have to pick the last chapter and choose 9S this time? Can I now get every weapon and complete all sidequests, or are there still more in the last routes?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I almost always play with Japanese voices and subs if it's an option, but I was missing too much stuff, games way too hectic to be reading.

Plus, they don't sub the pods response after petting him. wtf?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
First playthrough, and I see these lone white flowers that really stand out in various places. Does this come into play later in the game, and should I note down where I see them?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Cephas posted:

I thought the dub did a really good job at showing that 2B and 9S's dialogue is often hiding their real, repressed feelings. The different ways 9S says "nothing the machines do has any meaning" over the course of the game are all inflected in subtly different ways and it's pretty cool and well done

On the other hand, I ran through the prologue sequence in Japanese after beating the game in English, and there are definitely a few tonal things they changed with localization. In Japanese, 9S calls her "2B-san," and she quickly insists that he can just call her "2B," which means she's easily letting him get familiar with him. In English though, when 9S calls her "ma'am," she tells him to just call her "2B," but it almost comes across as aloofness, like if she were saying "Stop calling me ma'am. 2B is my designated name for this mission."

Yeah the Japanese version and knowing how honorifics work make it feel more obvious that 2B is initially trying to get 9S comfortable around her to lower his guard for her mission to become easier eventually but at some point the feelings become real

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ymgve posted:

First playthrough, and I see these lone white flowers that really stand out in various places. Does this come into play later in the game, and should I note down where I see them?

Yes they are a side quest later and no you dont need to note them down. The game will show where their general location is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Snak posted:

I noticed this to, but I think it's about kind of different things. They make a point to establish that 2B and 9S have different professions, and therefor different operational knowledge. So there are things that they each have experience with and feel strongly about which the other one isn't very familiar with.

As a scanner, 9S is much more familiar with signals and communication, and so, while 2B is surprised to hear machines communicating, 9S's training has told him that this is insignificant an that machines just say random words. Likewise, as someone who specializes in communication, 9S has a tendency to want to be more social, while 2B (and most operators) initially find this unnecessary and unprofessional. And later, as the guy who studies comms, he starts to recognize that the machines aren't just saying random poo poo before 2B, so who seems to have just taken 9S's initial word for it. Like, at first 9S is like "machines don't even know what they're saying." then "they're just blindly imitating humans" then "they are saying some pretty weird stuff... almost like they're choosing to say it" then "we can't trust what they say!" having made the full realization that they are communicating consciously.

But I'm still pretty early in the story, so these are just my initial impressions.

edit: also, pod 042 cracks me up.

Agreed on all of this, and yet everyone takes Pascal at face value pretty quickly.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

StringOfLetters posted:

After the gut-punch in route C where Pascal's village gets infected (reconnected?) and wrecked, did anyone else notice that the "world's best shut-in" bot's door and house are unharmed, and his little white minimap triangle is still alive in there? That made me feel just a whiff of relief, along with all the sorrow.

Yeah, I did! I wasn't able to hack the door though, and then I pressed the light attack button just by reflex to see if that would work.

He died. I got 3000 xp

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Agreed on all of this, and yet everyone takes Pascal at face value pretty quickly.

I think that fact that they get back to the Resistance Leader and she's like "Oh yeah, Pascal is cool, we work with them" helps shift 2B and 9S's preconceptions pretty quick. It's like they went to the sandbox thinking all brown people were the enemy, and the first thing that happened was their CO introduced them to the locals that they work with.

Also, I laughed when you do the side quest to find that Big Sister Machine's missing Little Sister, and the little sister turns out to be a much larger machine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't get the last two weapons I need from Emil's shop. Everyone on the internet is full of poo poo about tricks and methods to get him to move and none of it works. :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Honestly I think "Emotions are prohibited" is just her own personal mantra to cope rather than a real rule since nobody else you see in the game ever enforces it. It's also essential for her to be able to continue executing her real mission over and over without completely breaking mentally

It's definitely a rule too as characters who aren't her do say it. As you say though, it's not at all enforced.

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't get the last two weapons I need from Emil's shop. Everyone on the internet is full of poo poo about tricks and methods to get him to move and none of it works. :negative:

I read that teleporting to the point outside the factory works but I just go to the furthest one away geographically to unspawn him so that he's forced to respawn on return. Castle throne room is what I use

Did read that the factory point forces him to appear near the camp but I don't find that to be true.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I do have to wonder if the YoRHa are meant as at least a partial allegory to a religious war since NieR was so rooted in real life inspiration

Regy Rusty posted:

Welcome to Emilhell. I share your pain :silent:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Nina posted:

I do have to wonder if the YoRHa are meant as at least a partial allegory to a religious war since NieR was so rooted in real life inspiration

Ending E: "I am embarrassed. I launched a suicide attack, and yet, here I am, still alive. I must look very silly."

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Had a really strange dialogue glitch, where in the middle of talking to Anenome I suddenly got two lines from an invisible Emil that I had not ever seen before. I hope it didn't somehow trigger something or break a quest. Is it a known issue?

It sounded like lines he would say if you attacked and beat him for some reason. Something alone the lines of: "Alright, you win. I guess power is all that matters in this world anymore." And then this one.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think it might be a consistent thing with 8-4 at this point. They seem to take cool, detached and levelheaded as "hard". 2B in the Japanese dub has her hard moments but most of the time when she's not trying to be detached from a situation, she's actually pretty panicked about something. I don't think 2B's a hardass at all because nothing about her tone or temper in Japanese shows her that way.

Isn't a thing with the localisation of Zero where they took her from someone who's basically fed up with all of the poo poo and just wants it done with and turned her into the pissed off, angry at everything Zero in English?

I've been replaying the game in English and the way both 2B and 9S have been written has been getting on my nerves. With 2B, they make her sound irritable where in the original script she was much more deadpan, and they do kind of gloss over some of her more subtle shows of emotion (I also don't like that they make her curse, that's an A2 thing). In 9S' case, I feel like they turned the dial way up on his quipiness to the point that his sweeter/more sincere aspects get clouded. This is all within the first route, so maybe it gets better later on; the rest of the characters are fine.

And yeah they did do something similar with Zero, where they overemphasized her raging when she was really more low-key/blase in the original Japanese. I think they maybe just have a tendency toward character exaggeration in general?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Snak posted:

I noticed this to, but I think it's about kind of different things. They make a point to establish that 2B and 9S have different professions, and therefor different operational knowledge. So there are things that they each have experience with and feel strongly about which the other one isn't very familiar with.

As a scanner, 9S is much more familiar with signals and communication, and so, while 2B is surprised to hear machines communicating, 9S's training has told him that this is insignificant an that machines just say random words. Likewise, as someone who specializes in communication, 9S has a tendency to want to be more social, while 2B (and most operators) initially find this unnecessary and unprofessional. [/spoiler]
edit: also, pod 042 cracks me up.

true, it could also be that 9S was just thinking out loud and making stray observations while 2B, who was actually unnerved by everything, was telling him to shut up. I'll have to see if a pattern forms with future exchanges like this. I only just beat the second boss so I'm still early

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nina posted:

what did you think was going on at around the point when the soldiers you play as followed an oil pipeline to a bombed out city in the desert only to discover that the faceless enemies they had been sent there to fight might actually have feelings

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

edit: nm

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I threw together a little gif- don't know if anyone would want it or it would even be usable as an avatar, but here goes. Spoilered for plot reasons.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

More ending E thoughts When I think about it the true hope of the ending is less the character surviving and more that androidkind now has a chance of learning independence and becoming truly their own people when the truth about the humans is out there. The way I see it that almost happened before the moon server plot but the authorities in charge couldn't have that. Imagine if someone was just about to finally get over a major heartbreak but when they're taking their first steps to independence guys swoop in and tell them "hey your significant other is taking you back but they live on the moon now, fight robots for them ok and maybe they'll love you again"

Androids in general deserve a chance to be free even if they were to muddle it up and that's the true happy ending

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

I've been replaying the game in English and the way both 2B and 9S have been written has been getting on my nerves. With 2B, they make her sound irritable where in the original script she was much more deadpan, and they do kind of gloss over some of her more subtle shows of emotion (I also don't like that they make her curse, that's an A2 thing). In 9S' case, I feel like they turned the dial way up on his quipiness to the point that his sweeter/more sincere aspects get clouded. This is all within the first route, so maybe it gets better later on; the rest of the characters are fine.

And yeah they did do something similar with Zero, where they overemphasized her raging when she was really more low-key/blase in the original Japanese. I think they maybe just have a tendency toward character exaggeration in general?

Thanks for this post, it's good to see these kind of impressions from someone who speaks both languages, and not just because they trend towards supporting what I thought.

It does hit on the issues I personally have with many localisations, though. I'm not going to argue for literal translations because they're utterly awful and of the things I've played of 8-4's that I know is their work, I've enjoyed all of it but I don't like characterisation changes because they're not something more nuanced that are simply impossible to translate, like some things in language are. It's just a shame when characters are changed because it changes the entire work and I'd like it if they can maintain it as close to its original as possible. Though like I said, not to a point where the language and translation make zero sense because it's overly literal.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 21, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

More ending E thoughts
Androids in general deserve a chance to be free even if they were to muddle it up and that's the true happy ending

More or less. The Pods say it outright: there's no future given to you; you have to work hard to claim it, but the option is now there for them to reconcile and get the future they truly wanted.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
<---- I found a cute picture of 2B that I liked!

Nina posted:

More ending E thoughts

Totally agreed. I think that's probably also what Yoko Taro had in mind, considering the line about a future not being something that's given to you. I just hope that 2B/9S/A2/the Pods are also able to get happy endings because that lowers the chances of them making similar mistakes as their predecessors.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Nina posted:

More ending E thoughts

This is a very good point. That's kind of what I was thinking, but I narrowed it down to the main characters. I didn't even think about androids as a whole, but you pointedly see all the Resistance members in 9S's ending watching the ark launch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit game at least give me chance to do these quests before they disappear for good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Dammit game at least give me chance to do these quests before they disappear for good.

Once chapter select comes around, they'll be there for you if it's one you can't do on playthrough B so it's not gone for good so to speak. It does a bad job of telling you its point of no return though. There's only really one line from Anemone that tells you it and it's got no real stress towards it nor is it clearly said that this next thing is a point of no return.

e:
Oh, I getcha. ↓

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 21, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god the stuff Pascal sells you if you erase his memories :cry: Big route C spoilers.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I think I messed up the Wise Machine sidequest. One of them won't spawn even if I reload but it still shows the marker at the edge of the building across from Resistance Camp. I'm worried he like glitched inside the building permanently or something

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nina posted:

I want him to just do his original idea for Drakengard 2 about dragons in space.

The paradox about that theory is that if the machine network knows the humans are extinct why would they plan the whole giant moon cannon originally meant for destroying the human server.

Can't wait for Automata: Expanse, a 4x collaboration with Paradox that's all about the successors to Adam, Eve and 9S 5000 years later as they adventure through/conquer space

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So how many weapons does Emil sell? I randomly found him with his weapon inventory last night and bought three things from him, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be furiously rolling the dice to get any more weapons out of him.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

So how many weapons does Emil sell? I randomly found him with his weapon inventory last night and bought three things from him, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be furiously rolling the dice to get any more weapons out of him.

Only the two combat bracers so you're in luck

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just equipped a +5 item drop chip and dear god someone please tell me where the auto-pickup chip is. The b button on my Xbone controller is getting worn out.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Red Mundus posted:

I just equipped a +5 item drop chip and dear god someone please tell me where the auto-pickup chip is. The b button on my Xbone controller is getting worn out.

IIRC a vendor at the Resistance Camp in route C sells it

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nina posted:

IIRC a vendor at the Resistance Camp in route C sells it

They're there in route A, but only for a fairly short time at the end.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

(act 1 question)Is the half-wit inventor quest worth doing early? I have tons of stuff I wanna buy, and I don't really want to throw money down a black hole.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

(act 1 question)Is the half-wit inventor quest worth doing early? I have tons of stuff I wanna buy, and I don't really want to throw money down a black hole.

Related question: How much do you have to give him to complete the quest? I gave him 20k out of the gate, but he still wants more, so I decided I would wait until later before giving him more.

Actually, I hope that progress on that was saved between route A and route B... I'm assuming it's like Father Servo, which is...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Omi no Kami posted:

It gives you the ability to buy a cool alien mask and also infinite amounts of one of the rarer crafting materials, either meteorite shards or meteorites themselves which are a big bottleneck for making level 3/4 weapons.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Snak posted:

Related question: How much do you have to give him to complete the quest? I gave him 20k out of the gate, but he still wants more, so I decided I would wait until later before giving him more.

Actually, I hope that progress on that was saved between route A and route B... I'm assuming it's like Father Servo, which is...

It's worth giving him enough to get the choice satchel, which nullifies the need for animal bait. Everything else can be saved until you have functionally infinite money from selling machine cores & such, unless you want that cool mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't personally think that donation quest is a huge priority. You'll come into the sum he wants over the course of the game. He wants around 200k, and I think you give him the last 100k in a lump sum.