Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

trash person posted:

One thing I really don't like about MEA, or more specifically modern gaming in general, is I loving hate crafting. With a passion. Just give me the gear through questing/currency. I hate managing blueprints and resources and ugh.

I hated it in Destiny too. Where the gently caress is relic iron and why do I have to waste time tediously going to find poo poo. Same reason I never got into professions in WoW either

:same:

how about you just give me the whole sword instead of adding like four extra boring steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Crafting seems like it's designed to appeal to the people who are mad if a game can be completed in 20 hours. 20 hours?!? That's like a dozen movies, or a half dozen novels. But just because DOOM didn't waste your time, don't think these guys will be satisfied with a game that takes less than 100+ hours. And they're just as happy walking around some unpopulated landscape laboriously picking up snozberries as they are engaged with interesting dialogue, balanced combat, or interesting landscapes. So instead of just giving you a better sword, designers are incentivized to give you a sword diagram and then drop six pieces of magic iron around the game world.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think crafting systems are good and cool

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The calls for euthanasia were a cry for help.

Example?

Well on uh the ice planet place where you save that female, whatever Jaal is, you fight a Kett wizard guy, and there's a prompt to kill him. Also there are a couple others Ive seen which were more like smart-rear end interrupts.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

I disagree!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Norns posted:

Sorry, instead of just posting that, could you please find six other posts from around the forums to support your claim first?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Is crafting ever good? I honestly can't think of a single RPG game in which cutting that poo poo out wouldn't be an overall improvement to the experience.

worthless loving gimmick that adds nothing but extra inventory management and fiddling with menus

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

For a certain kind of person RPGs are about lots of numbers, and crafting is the perfect excuse to make the numbers go up.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

I'm about 12 hours into not playing Mass Effect: Andromeda and it's been pretty fun so far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poisonpill posted:

Crafting seems like it's designed to appeal to the people who are mad if a game can be completed in 20 hours. 20 hours?!? That's like a dozen movies, or a half dozen novels. But just because DOOM didn't waste your time, don't think these guys will be satisfied with a game that takes less than 100+ hours. And they're just as happy walking around some unpopulated landscape laboriously picking up snozberries as they are engaged with interesting dialogue, balanced combat, or interesting landscapes. So instead of just giving you a better sword, designers are incentivized to give you a sword diagram and then drop six pieces of magic iron around the game world.

crafting is fine in games where it makes sense. crafting in skyrim, for example, i thought was pretty neat. it also makes sense in survival games (although the majority of survival games are real bad).

i know the kind of people you're describing, however. the kind who think pointless tedium makes games more difficult and that people who complain about said tedium are just casuals who want the game to be easier. the kind of people who want crafting to take time so you just sit around for 2 minutes waiting for a random timer to run out so you can craft again. you know, poo poo like that.

gently caress those people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RottenK posted:

Is crafting ever good? I honestly can't think of a single RPG game in which cutting that poo poo out wouldn't be an overall improvement to the experience.

worthless loving gimmick that adds nothing but extra inventory management and fiddling with menus

it's a pretty crucial component to the survival game genre that developed after minecraft was brought into existence, but of course that only applies if you like survival games and i most certainly do not

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crafting is cool in Monster Hunter-style games where you're repurposing demon limbs into greatswords, or in survival-type games where you're consistently fighting against hunger and death. In Andromeda the crafting seems there to deliberately waste your time and inflate content.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Norns posted:

Some brain tumors are operable. Good luck.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moola posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda killed my fish

:same:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Crafting is cool in Monster Hunter-style games where you're repurposing demon limbs into greatswords, or in survival-type games where you're consistently fighting against hunger and death. In Andromeda the crafting seems there to deliberately waste your time and inflate content.

i wouldn't lay that sin at andromeda's feet specifically

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Cowcaster posted:

it's a pretty crucial component to the survival game genre that developed after minecraft was brought into existence, but of course that only applies if you like survival games and i most certainly do not

i don't like them either but i agree that it probably fits in there

was specifically asking about RPG games though, never played one with a crafting system that didn't make me wish that the game didn't have a crafting system

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RottenK posted:

There's something really satisfying about staying ahead of the difficulty curve by building broken poo poo.

To conclude, that's why I like the Atelier games.

Lt. Danger posted:

For a certain kind of person RPGs are about lots of numbers, and crafting is the perfect excuse to make the numbers go up.

Exactly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
You'd think after the delays/long dev cycle, EA would have been smart enough not to release this around the time a bunch of great games come out. I would be playing this hoping it gets better but Xbox live won't let me log in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think the whole R&D crafting system is tonally consistent with Andromeda and scifi in general but holy poo poo I cannot STAND it in fantasy games like Inquisition.

I think Andromedas craftig system lets you do some pretty neat poo poo with guns but the UI hobbles it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

exquisite tea posted:

In Andromeda the crafting seems there to deliberately waste your time and inflate content.

But you should probably buy it and play it to be sure.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

How did we lose the technology between Adaptive All Wheel drive between now and 800 years in the future? It really seems like they just want you to slide backwards down a few hills just to make the game take longer and hit that 60 hours that Mass Effects traditionally deliver.

We also forgot how to make lightning rods.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

i wouldn't lay that sin at andromeda's feet specifically

It's hardly the first game to do it but it's puzzling that you could look at a game like Inquisition and think, "yes, what we need for our sci-fi space shooter is more of this, but also slower."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

exquisite tea posted:

crafting was cool in skyrim because i basically played as a crazy mountain man who crafted all his own armor and weaonry. it made the game a lot more enjoyable to me, especially because the setting of a game like skyrim makes crafting actually make sense and not feel forced in.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Crafting to me seems like it's an import from MMO:S, where there is a trade economy between players and it makes sense from a developer perspective to introduce timesinks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cams posted:

i did hinterlands so many times

:catstare:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I like the idea of crafting but the UI is so bad that I haven't spent a single mineral.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Setting up the first outpost on Eos was a really cool moment, and genuinely kind of the first time the game felt like what was promised when it was announced. I loved how it was actually really large and you can't do anything there yet. Hopefully this game will avoid the Hinterlands problem by shoving you off to another world.

I just got back to the Nexus, and the amount of environmental dialogue is bonkers. I listed to an immigration official clear three people for travel to Eos. It was neat to see the whole process go down. When this game is good, it is good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gmq posted:

The good:
- The environments are really good.
- The combat. Who needs to cover when you can jump in the air, charge into the nearest enemy and then pull a couple more into the air and then run away by biotically tele-transporting?
- Ryder. I like that they are completely different from Shepard. They are rookies and everyone knows this and everyone gives them poo poo because of it. It's a chance for telling another kind of story.
- Planet exploring. I think I explored everything in Eos before even meeting PB. The Keet respawn after a while so it was fun to destroy them when I had to go past them again.
- The crew. They are not as terrible as this thread led me to believe.

This matches what I liked about the preview.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think the reason they went with crafting is so that you can have the gun variety of something like Borderlands but instead of having to hope you get lucky with a drop you can just make the one you want. You can even buy most of the crafting mats at a vendor on the Nexus it isn't that big a deal.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

financially racist posted:

crafting was cool in skyrim because i basically played as a crazy mountain man who crafted all his own armor and weaonry. it made the game a lot more enjoyable to me, especially because the setting of a game like skyrim makes crafting actually make sense and not feel forced in.

All Elder Scrolls crafting systems are great. Alchemy in Morrowind is the most broken thing imaginable and I love it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crafting was also bad in witcher 3. The concept sucks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I hope someday they let me do MP as a pyjak

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CottonWolf posted:

All Elder Scrolls crafting systems are great. Alchemy in Morrowind is the most broken thing imaginable and I love it.

In Oblivion wasn't it fairly easy to make yourself 100% invisible all the time with the armor crafting? And not even that far in the game?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CottonWolf posted:

morrowind's alchemy system is hilarious with the whole 'make fortify intelligence potion, drink it, make better fortify intelligence potion, drink it, repeat' stuff. one-shotting vivec with your sword and breaking the sword at the same time because you had a strength of several thousand is magical and i wish bethesda didn't go out of their way to try and stamp that sort of silliness out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Multiplayer Update: I unlocked one of that Ultra-rare classes that can both prime and detonate. Yay!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Crafting is very hit or miss. In my opinion, the simpler the better. If you have to farm or otherwise do something unfun to get crafting materials then it's definitely a miss for me.

Also I still haven't bought this game. Not convinced yet. Waiting to see what people think about it after spending time playing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Guys worried about renegade prompts, Paragon/Renegade system may be gone but "renegade" rear end in a top hat prompts are still in.

link?

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Serf posted:

Setting up the first outpost on Eos was a really cool moment, and genuinely kind of the first time the game felt like what was promised when it was announced. I loved how it was actually really large and you can't do anything there yet. Hopefully this game will avoid the Hinterlands problem by shoving you off to another world.

Forgot to save right before making the choice. I went science does choosing military instead look any different?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Good, the renegade prompts (and a few of the paragon ones) were probably the best things about ME2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

homullus posted:

I hope someday they let me do MP as a pyjak

A pyjak riding a varren.