Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Tommy is by far the least interesting thing about Dino Thunder. And of course he's the only thing people talk about.

This is my opinion on all seasons Tommy is in really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I can't wait for the Dino Thunder episode where they literally watch an episode of Abaranger because I'm sure the chat will explode.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

I can't wait for the Dino Thunder episode where they literally watch an episode of Abaranger because I'm sure the chat will explode.

Conner gets so butthurt in that episode, it's amazing. "I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE THINK WE'RE LIKE THIS :mad:"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yinlock posted:

tommy suddenly being native american is definitely 'interesting'

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a late season 2 power rangers episode with an evil Billy clone who convinces everyone to give him their communicator for upgrades, and Tommy is like "I'm just going to hold onto mine until you finish with everyone else's".

It was the most competent decision any power ranger had made to that point, from Tommy of all people, a man who forgets his watch so much he sent a message back in time asking if he could borrow his own watch.

Other than that moment, I think kid Tommy was good, and I love episodes where he does silly poo poo like he can't stop eating or can only talk by singing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

His appearance makes me think of a luchadore with all of the ham that it can entail.

I don't believe it's ever seen in the adaption, but in Japan his face opens up and there's a tiny bug the size of a large cockroach operating the body.

He also gets about halfway to fulfilling the villain's apocalyptic plans that were discarded.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Xelkelvos posted:

How can you even follow the twitch chat?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

How can you even follow the twitch chat?

You can pick up a random line here or there, but the chat tends to reflect a general sentiment that's easy to pick up on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good profile on Haim Saban.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-haim-saban-power-rangers-20170319-story,amp.html

I can't believe how cheap he bought back the Power Rangers franchise from Disney.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope Ninja Steel adapts the crossover episode with the other two ninja rangers.

I hope they inexplicably adapt the Jiraiya episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

parallelodad posted:

Good profile on Haim Saban.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-haim-saban-power-rangers-20170319-story,amp.html

I can't believe how cheap he bought back the Power Rangers franchise from Disney.

I can, Disney did not ever want Power Rangers.

Never mind that they could have put any kind of effort into it and made it a super hit like what Saban is already back to doing, raking in tons of money and building the brand with comic books and a new movie- they absolutely despised the show and the only thing that kept it alive was Bandai.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You seem like an expert but I've always wondered how hands on was he with those first few seasons of power rangers? Like how much screwing over actors and such came down to him personally?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let's not pretend that Saban was the perfect steward of the property. He was awful to his actors and staff and did everything he could to avoid spending as much money as possible. The man once attributed his success to "five [ableistic pejorative] in spandex". He's been threatening legal action against people who merely make references to his property.

Yeah, he's helping the franchise succeed business-wise, but let's not forget the fact that he's gotten this far by stepping on a lot of people. And what's more for two whole shows he didn't give a hug whatsoever about the quality of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

I want to know what Venjinx did to get the thing to move, considering Zedd never fixed the power issue.

I still hold to the theory that it's either a fake or a prototype which is why it's both so small and so easily destroyed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drrockso20 posted:

I still hold to the theory that it's either a fake or a prototype which is why it's both so small and so easily destroyed

Yeah the real one should be either in the M51 Galaxy or on Triforia or whatever planet Zedd was invading in C2D.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

The man once attributed his success to "five [ableistic pejorative] in spandex".

What did he say? I understand sensitivity, but it undercuts your point when you do what you did.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 21, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zedd just forgetting about it is perfectly in character.

I mean the thing barely works to begin with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

For edification, could you actually just quote him accurately?

Is it really so important that I uncensor the r-word?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is it really so important that I uncensor the r-word?

See, saying that makes it clear what word he used (which is kinda important when you're saying he was a shitbag), and maintains a level of sensitivity.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't often feel uncomfortable even saying that much. I used to hear that poo poo all the time. It's not fun remembering that.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm having so much laughing at Ninja Storm along with Twitch chat. It's stupid as hell, cheesy, and just plain fun, which is exactly what Power Rangers should be. I'd say it's the closest to keeping to the ultra cheesy spirit of the original MMPR S1 of any of the later seasons so far. Some of those seasons like Wild Force are barely hidden, lazy translations of their respective sentai series. Ninja Storm is just doing its own weird thing and laughing along with it.

If Disney didn't give a poo poo about Power Rangers and wanted it to fail, shows like Ninja Storm were succeeding in spite of them. I have no clue what Saban did with the franchise after buying it back from Disney, but I suspect it's nowhere on par with Ninja Storm's absurdly silly level of quality.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I actually used to go on ranger board back then, fans were somewhat livid the series wasn't "serious" anymore.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Better profile on Haim Saban, including all the bridges he's burned with everyone from Rupert Murdoch to Shuki Levy.

Murdoch basically handed him a larger studio and a basic cable channel as well as use of the Fox name, he flipped all of that (minus the Fox branding) to Disney, asked Bill Clinton to pressure Brazil to make it pass regulation, and then went ballistic trying to protect his mega bucks from the IRS. Swell guy!

Burkion posted:

I can, Disney did not ever want Power Rangers.

Correct. Disney wanted The Family Channel / Fox Family / ABC Family / FreeForm.

Michael Eisner was buying assets like a drunken sailor to make Disney less suitable to a takeover from Comcast as well as show results. DisneyWar had just been published and he was trying to shake off a 40% no confidence vote from shareholders.

Saban simply saw Eisner's sweat and jumped in.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 21, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

parallelodad posted:

I actually used to go on ranger board back then, fans were somewhat livid the series wasn't "serious" anymore.

:laffo:

I have no interest in PR shows that pretend to be serious or whatever. The series is at its best when it plays to its inherent strengths as a weird, schlocky mishmash of sentai footage and not some overly serious gripping drama like strange "adult" fans think it should be.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I have no interest in PR shows that pretend to be serious or whatever. The series is at its best when it plays to its inherent strengths as a weird, schlocky mishmash of sentai footage and not some overly serious gripping drama like strange "adult" fans think it should be.

There are times when the serious approach works (In Space, Time Force) but most of the time they don't work.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That aspect of the fandom is the worst to me. Like, this show has never consistently had serious, gritty plots with amazing acting. There are some seasons that did it well (Time Force), but they are the exception, not the rule. It's a goofy fun show that has plot holes and sells toys. The end.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My child self never forgave tommy for immediately taking the leader spot after coming back as white ranger

jason: ok ive been demoted in favor of the dude who gets mind controlled/loses his powers/never shows up to fights constantly, ok cool thanks zordon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like both styles. Especially since even "serious" seasons have completely goofy episodes like "My Kung Fu Master mistakenly trained a monster to kick my rear end" or "So I dated a mermaid" or "I'm dating my best friend's sister who is also the main villain" or "we ran into a movie studio and are magically in movie land".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm definitely a fan of the serious show, with a light-hearted subplot that sometimes crosses paths.

King For A Day is a good example, you have your Tommy/Jason drama, but you also have Rita/Zedd watching it like a wrestling match and in the dungeon you have Bulk & Skull being Earth's mightiest warriors and beating cogs by throwing trash at them or backing up into them.

The show has to at least try to be serious enough to pull off a dramatic ending because Journey's End beats kneeing Ivan Ooze in his mecha-crotch.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh nice they've somehow ripped an episode and dropped the centre channel audio so it's a weird mime show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is amazing. The current episode has all the audio EXCEPT for dialogue. So you can hear all the silly music cues, foley effects, and what not.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
The sound is proper hosed now, missing voice track?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So the stream is now playing an episode... without the voice audio. Everything else sounds fine (you can even hear the Foley work!), just no sound coming from the actors.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Eddie Whitson posted:

There are times when the serious approach works (In Space, Time Force) but most of the time they don't work.

The scattered parts of Time Force I saw seemed mostly cool and well done for what it is, but it's still not some high concept sci-fi drama like Babylon 5 or TNG. This is goddamn Power Rangers and "serious" shouldn't be a requirement when that sacrifices the delightful, goofy cheese for tedium in the weaker self-important bland seasons. Which is one of several reasons why the new movie seems so incredibly dumb and trashy.

One of the funniest parts of Time Force vs. Timeranger is how they Eric gets utterly destroyed before Wes rescues him and gives Wes his morpher... when Naoto TimeFire dies in that same episode of Timeranger. It's really bizarre and hilarious how the Ranger versions usually (but not always) sanitize the darkest parts of sentai.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 21, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I'm guessing they've just dropped the centre channel but we're still getting L/R. Either that or it's something way more esoteric and weird.

Edit: The crossover in library music usage between Buffy and Ninja Storm is harrowing

J33uk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 21, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

J33uk posted:

Yeah I'm guessing they've just dropped the centre channel but we're still getting L/R. Either that or it's something way more esoteric and weird.

Edit: The crossover in library music usage between Buffy and Ninja Storm is harrowing
I just figured it was intentional and part of the episode. Too bad it's not. There aren't even captions.

I stand by my opinion that the music and sound design for the good seasons always owns in a "telling you exactly how loving pumped you should be" way. It would translate extremely well to a video game. And the bad seasons usually have poo poo music and sound-related pacing in comparison.

Eddie Whitson posted:

It definitely worked for In Space. Although it's still not that serious.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 21, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Khorne posted:

I just figured it was intentional and part of the episode. Too bad it's not. There aren't even captions.

Twitch has CC support; its not perfect, but it does give some dialog.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jivjov posted:

Twitch has CC support; its not perfect, but it does give some dialog.
I have it on sometimes, but on the muted episode no captions were coming up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Let's not pretend that Saban was the perfect steward of the property. He was awful to his actors and staff and did everything he could to avoid spending as much money as possible. The man once attributed his success to "five [ableistic pejorative] in spandex". He's been threatening legal action against people who merely make references to his property.

Yeah, he's helping the franchise succeed business-wise, but let's not forget the fact that he's gotten this far by stepping on a lot of people. And what's more for two whole shows he didn't give a hug whatsoever about the quality of it.

Oh you're not wrong

The difference is, and it's a REALLY sad difference, Saban, the company and the man, actually does stuff with the property. They want it to succeed and exceed and go. I never said WHY, but they do.

Disney would have been far better owners relatively, the problem is that Disney literally tried to kill the show at any chance they could. Remember, RPM didn't even air for half of the US because of being preempted.

It's the racist grandpa who loves you for selfish reasons VS the rich rear end in a top hat step parent that really loving hates you and ships you to military school as soon as possible scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Khorne posted:

I have it on sometimes, but on the muted episode no captions were coming up.

How odd; it was giving me captions just fine.