Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Thanks for this post, it's good to see these kind of impressions from someone who speaks both languages, and not just because they trend towards supporting what I thought.

It does hit on the issues I personally have with many localisations, though. I'm not going to argue for literal translations because they're utterly awful and of the things I've played of 8-4's that I know is their work, I've enjoyed all of it but I don't like characterisation changes because they're not something more nuanced that are simply impossible to translate, like some things in language are. It's just a shame when characters are changed because it changes the entire work and I'd like it if they can maintain it as close to its original as possible. Though like I said, not to a point where the language and translation make zero sense because it's overly literal.

I work as a translator so I understand it can be tricky to balance being faithful to the original text while also making dialogue sound natural and engaging in English. And to be fair, the changes aren't completely derailing... there's just too much of a tendency to make the characters sound extra snappy and sarcastic? It reminds me of the whole "American Kirby" phenomena. It bothers me the most with 9S, because he's kind of a divisive character even in Japanese... so making him more snot-nosed feels like they're tipping the scales too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

dazat posted:

I work as a translator so I understand it can be tricky to balance being faithful to the original text while also making dialogue sound natural and engaging in English. And to be fair, the changes aren't completely derailing... there's just too much of a tendency to make the characters sound extra snappy and sarcastic? It reminds me of the whole "American Kirby" phenomena. It bothers me the most with 9S, because he's kind of a divisive character even in Japanese... so making him more snot-nosed feels like they're tipping the scales too much.

I'm glad to hear if he's less hostile in Japanese. His reaction to concluding the Father Servo questline just made me go "man gently caress this guy"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It makes sense, yeah, and I'm certain the demographic plays part too.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Totally unrelated, re: humans and machines, now that I think of it

Adam's and Eve's whole proposal in the alien mothership is "bring us the humans from the moon so we can dissect them." If the machines knew humans were extinct, you'd think Adam and Eve would too, since they're connected to the network. I guess there's also the chance the Terminals have information they're withholding from the general network, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there some trick the gold robots? They have like 100x more health than their normal counterparts

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

Adam's and Eve's whole proposal in the alien mothership is "bring us the humans from the moon so we can dissect them." If the machines knew humans were extinct, you'd think Adam and Eve would too, since they're connected to the network. I guess there's also the chance the Terminals have information they're withholding from the general network, though.

i think it works the best if you think of adam and eve as basically being network admins, they can do most things, but they arent omnipresent of the network like the terminals are

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ymgve posted:

Is there some trick the gold robots? They have like 100x more health than their normal counterparts

Either try again on Play B or even later than that. Killing them early will only be an exercise in frustration.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Is it your first playthrough?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ymgve posted:

Hack em. Don't know how to do that? Play more of the game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Squidtentacle posted:

I'm actually wondering if they allowed the human server itself to be self aware and it's the one pulling the strings. Like in a "we don't have humanity anymore but we programmed an approximate simulation of the kind of decisions humans would make" way. The androids worship humans to such an extent that kind of thing would feel logical to me.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thinking of buying but a little wary of million complaints on Steam of bad performance/crashes on PC. How is the PC version, goons?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i think it works the best if you think of adam and eve as basically being network admins, they can do most things, but they arent omnipresent of the network like the terminals are

It's also possible they intentionally didn't access all the information contained within the system, since they wanted to do their actual learning via reading books. It's also possible that learning humans had already died was a very recent discovery they figured out when the androids started going berserk and they were able to grab more data from them. I would say a good indication of when the robots first got access into the human info network was during The Purge when you see the girl hologram appear in the hangar.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

I'm glad to hear if he's less hostile in Japanese. His reaction to concluding the Father Servo questline just made me go "man gently caress this guy"

I haven't played that sidequest in English yet, but in the Japanese he talks about how he's glad he doesn't have to deal with him again, but it's pretty transparent, you (and 2B) can tell that he's really sad/upset.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Thinking of buying but a little wary of million complaints on Steam of bad performance/crashes on PC. How is the PC version, goons?

Completely depends. Some people have no problems, I haven't been able to play for more than about 90-120 minutes without something going wrong.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

I haven't played that sidequest in English yet, but in the Japanese he talks about how he's glad he doesn't have to deal with him again, but it's pretty transparent, you (and 2B) can tell that he's really sad/upset.

My memory's a bit fuzzy but I'm kinda sure that's not the implication with 9S in the English, but 2B feels that way

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My memory's a bit fuzzy but I'm kinda sure that's not the implication with 9S in the English, but 2B feels that way

i don't know about that it seemed pretty obvious that was how he felt in english for me, especially with him going something like "i guess we won't see him again" and even though he calls him "a stupid machine" he really obviously sounded down about it to me

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

ymgve posted:

If you're on your first playthrough, I wouldn't bother with them
If you're on your second playthrough, hack them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I only had a single crash during my time playing, but whether you have issues is completely (and randomly) hardware dependent, it seems. You can buy it and then refund it if you can't get it to launch for whatever reason.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Emil in the desert :smith:

How am I supposed to fight this boss when it's making me tear up

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i don't know about that it seemed pretty obvious that was how he felt in english for me, especially with him going something like "i guess we won't see him again" and even though he calls him "a stupid machine" he really obviously sounded down about it to me
Haven't played in English, but the Japanese made it obvious that he loving hated that series of encounters. 2B sounded a bit upset about it though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't like this High-speed machine guy one bit

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I looked up the sidequest in English. Here's a comparison between it and the original Japanese:

(Localized Version)
9S: About goddamn time! If I ever see that bossy robo-monk again, it’ll be too soon, let me tell you.
2B: I suppose.
9S: Stupid machine. All he cared about was getting stronger until we finally scrapped him. But now we don’t have to see him ever again. What a relief!
2B: …Indeed.

(My Translation)
9S: Phew, I'm glad that's over with! Now we’ll never be bossed around by that robo-monk ever again.
2B: Right…
9S: …what a dumb robot. He cared so much about getting stronger, he didn't mind being destroyed… But now we’ll never have to see him again! Really… what a relief…
2B: …yeah.

I feel like it's a pretty good approximation of how the localization 'spices' things up, so to speak.

dazat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 21, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I am 99% sure that this side-quest will be the last one I finish in this game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dazat posted:

I looked up the sidequest in English. Here's a comparison between it and the original Japanese:

(Localized Version)
9S: About goddamn time! If I ever see that bossy robo-monk again, it’ll be too soon, let me tell you.
9S: Stupid machine. All he cared about was getting stronger until we finally scrapped him. But now we don’t have to see him ever again. What a relief!

(My Translation)
9S: Phew, I'm glad that's over with! Now we’ll never be bossed around by that robo-monk ever again.
9S: …what a dumb robot. He cared so much about getting stronger, he didn't mind being destroyed… But now we’ll never have to see him again! Really… what a relief…

I feel like it's a pretty good approximation of how the localization 'spices' things up, so to speak.

Yeah, this is pretty interesting. I think really, it comes down to a difference in the translation in a single line which kinda changes some context.

All he cared about was getting stronger until we finally scrapped him.

vs

He cared so much about getting stronger, he didn't mind being destroyed…

The official one here reads so much more aggressively as a whole, where the latter reads wistfully, which in turn affects the contexts of the next line too to me.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Speed Star? There's actually tricks to gently caress him up. First race is simple, second race use the Slow Pod Program, third Race use Overclock chips.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Supremezero posted:

Speed Star? There's actually tricks to gently caress him up. First race is simple, second race use the Slow Pod Program, third Race use Overclock chips.

Yeah that one. I am on the third race, but I only have one Overclock chip so using that doesn't really work for me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Go grab a Movement 4 and 2, put your light sword in slot two so it uses heavy strings, practice the airborne Dodge+Heavy Attack move that sends you quickly diagonally downwards until you have the command down and then you can't really fail that quest once you have either the left route or the right hand route up around the edge of the crater learned. You can put an evade distance up in too if you like but that's not vital. Left is meant to be easier but Right comes out at around the same speed if done right too. Overclock is just further simplification of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dazat posted:

(Localized Version)

(My Translation)

Ah so the differences are mostly exaggerated.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah that one. I am on the third race, but I only have one Overclock chip so using that doesn't really work for me.

As long as you have enough Movement Speed + chips to hit the +20% cap, you can still win even without anything else. Jump off the building toward the left and use dash at the bottom of your fall, then dash again to get the increased run speed and just book it toward the ramp near the building. When you hit a small fork either leading upward on the left or down on the right, go down, then run up the building ramp and start jumpdashing to close the remaining distance to the finish line.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As long as you have enough Movement Speed + chips to hit the +20% cap, you can still win even without anything else. Jump off the building toward the left and use dash at the bottom of your fall, then dash again to get the increased run speed and just book it toward the ramp near the building. When you hit a small fork either leading upward on the left or down on the right, go down, then run up the building ramp and start jumpdashing to close the remaining distance to the finish line.

Note that you can't mess up at all. I did it this way and beat him by like a pixel.

Hell I thought I lost.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't even figure out the path for the second race.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Note that you can't mess up at all. I did it this way and beat him by like a pixel.

Hell I thought I lost.

You actually have a liiiiiitle bit of gently caress-up time if you're being turbo-efficient and are staying as far to the edge as you can to shred like two seconds overall. On the attempt where I actually got it I hosed up the fall and ended up having to sit through the animation where 2B lands flat on her face and then had to dash out from there

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snak posted:

I couldn't even figure out the path for the second race.

Go across the to of the buildings, then climb a tree to get to the other buildings were the goal is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Go across the to of the buildings, then climb a tree to get to the other buildings were the goal is.

Pro tip: do not fall down in between the buildings.

Not specific to races:
Will someone please convince me that just sprinting is as fast or faster than spamming evade/dash? Because I know it probably is, but I have a problem not constant tapping right trigger when I want to get somewhere faster. Even though it's probably making me slower overall. The *woosh* makes it sound faster...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, these tips really helped. I got him my next try.

How many weapons can Emil sell? I've been able to stop him with weapons once, and he had two bracers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snak posted:

Pro tip: do not fall down in between the buildings.

Not specific to races:
Will someone please convince me that just sprinting is as fast or faster than spamming evade/dash? Because I know it probably is, but I have a problem not constant tapping right trigger when I want to get somewhere faster. Even though it's probably making me slower overall. The *woosh* makes it sound faster...

Yep because you have to finish to restart, which sucks for two and three.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I just got endings C, D, and E all in the past hour. What an amazing game. It's real real good and a bug must have flown in my eyes about 30 minutes ago since they won't stop watering.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man, the chip that lets you pick up items like you do money is amazing. Especially when the game throws a bunch of weak enemies at you and you just Wave them to death. Also it is fun when you get an item you have too many of and it jumps around. Sure, you can do that anyway, but it is more fun automatic.

Actually, the first time I came up against the item limit I missed it saying inventory full or whatever and thought it was just the game messing with me. To be fair I was in a weird basement at the time.

Also are there full costume change item things at all? I really want that one 2B wears at the start of C.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

Also are there full costume change item things at all? I really want that one 2B wears at the start of C.

You get that as a wearable costume upon finishing route C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey, these tips really helped. I got him my next try.

How many weapons can Emil sell? I've been able to stop him with weapons once, and he had two bracers.

That's it, you're good to go.

I finally got him to sell them. After trying it a bunch I went and did other stuff until I got bored trying to hunt down Unit Data (I only need 3% more for the quest and I can't find anything argh!) and then tried him again near the very end and he went straight through his three routes one after the other. :shrug:

Now I just gotta upgrade things and then decide if I'm ready for superbosses or want to go back to trying to find rare enhanced machines -_-