Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

On the one hand he seems confident in that

On the other, wasn't Ley the one who went completely bananas when Ted Cruz ('s intern) completely dunked on them?

E: oh, that was Tim Marchman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If it was a joke it would be like "lol look how stupid the internet is b/c they read into everything"
Which is a bad joke because it is not funny and is coming from a person who has spent his career reading way too much into everything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

So It Goes posted:

If it is a joke, I legitimately don't understand what the joke even is

It would only work if he is parodying himself but that requires a self awareness he does not possess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It would only work if he is parodying himself but that requires a self awareness he does not possess.

Yeah.

Again, this isn't even new. He does this pretty much every single time someone does a similar column, even when, as in both cases here, they mention it was influenced by his NBA columns (either because he's so petty he doesn't care or, more likely, because he stops reading after the headline)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think he believes the Trade Value Column is so singularly Simmons that even offering an acknowledgement is not a justification for jacking someone else's concept

Which is insane, but Bill Simmons is insane

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

xbilkis posted:

I think he believes the Trade Value Column is so singularly Simmons that even offering an acknowledgement is not a justification for jacking someone else's concept

Which is insane, but Bill Simmons is insane

For one of the last years he did it (which, if I remember right, was a multi-part thing that took a month to publish) he had Grantland's development team build a landing page/monument collecting all the old ones from the Page 2 and Boston Sports Guy days. I'm sure he spent a lot of time on it over the years but yeah.

Edit: It was three parts published on Jan. 23, Feb. 25 and March 17. The trade deadline that year was Feb. 19.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 21, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

E: oh, that was Tim Marchman

I don't understand in the slightest why Magary agreed to do the Deadcast again with loving Marchman -- the guy who thinks it's a point of pride to live in a house without air conditioning, the guy who scrubs his tweets hours after he posts them, the smug douchebag who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

At least Magary has the self-awareness that he's a complete goober.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

For one of the last years he did it (which, if I remember right, was a multi-part thing that took a month to publish) he had Grantland's development team build a landing page/monument collecting all the old ones from the Page 2 and Boston Sports Guy days. I'm sure he spent a lot of time on it over the years but yeah.

Edit: It was three parts published on Jan. 23, Feb. 25 and March 17. The trade deadline that year was Feb. 19.

Btw strongly encourage people to read the really old ones because the writing is hysterically bad

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

A whole case of Zing vodka says the Maloofs got this particular harebrained trade idea from Simmons' column

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The Rockets bench is made up of drop-38-on-the-Hawks-in-mid-February guys and it's pretty fun

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh my god how have I never seen this
https://twitter.com/Ethan_Booker/status/844652135199444993

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Ooooof

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
What's great is that, according to this Poynter interview, he'd done a similar column before, about a reporter who was held captive in Lebanon for seven years:

quote:

"Cleaning out the notebook while hoping Terry Anderson didn't have overdue library books: How long was it? When Anderson was captured, Wally Joyner was in Triple-A. Michael Jordan was finishing his rookie year. Ted Tollner and USC were Rose Bowl champs. Doug Flutie was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Jennifer Capriati was 9. And Cal State Fullerton was coming off an 11-1 football season.

"Wow! That long? On the other hand, Jack Morris had pitched his team to the most recent World Series victory, and the Clippers were missing the playoffs. So it was only yesterday."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Zeeman posted:

What's great is that, according to this Poynter interview, he'd done a similar column before, about a reporter who was held captive in Lebanon for seven years:

It doesn't have the same closing kicker as the more well-known column.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

a good article

http://thecomeback.com/nhl/2017-nhl-trade-value-player-rankings.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahaha

quote:

I’m Dave Lozo and here’s what I believe.

I believe Laine is the perfect shooter, much like soup is the perfect food.

I also believe that billionaires should pay for their own loving stadiums. I know that’s not an original sentiment today, that just about everyone has said this for years and it seems like I’m poaching it for use under my byline, but I believe it.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

quote:

He took off his glasses. He held them up, his frail arm trembling. He pointed at them.

I was in tears. I didn’t understand. “Those are your glasses, grandpa.”

“Yep,” he said, “these are my readers.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:laffo:

After a couple readings I caught the Rich Peverley/"Patrick Beverley" reference. Top marks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/TroyMachir/status/845065138961088513

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
e: whoops

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is pretty wonderful.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I didn't know Breitbart had a sports section...

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

:perfect:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's check in with Charles Barkley on the Dan Patrick Show

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalli posted:

Let's check in with Charles Barkley on the Dan Patrick Show

:allears:

At least Cowherd has some self-awareness that his entire job is to dispense of hot takes. Skip is just trash in general.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Skip is a wonderful person off the show from everything I've ever heard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sportsgenius86 posted:

Skip is a wonderful person off the show from everything I've ever heard.

I find this impossible to believe.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Inspector_666 posted:

I find this impossible to believe.

Bomani Jones has said the same thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i've always heard Skip off camera is a genuinely good dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Skip was an rear end in a top hat to Sports stars. Like the poo poo he's said about Troy Aikman is terrible.

But I'm sure he's fine to his coworkers.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

That's the most reasonable take Charles has had in months

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Skip used to be a legit reporter back in the day. He was on the ground floor of the SMU scandal and had genuinely insightful things to say on the Pony Excess documentary.

He just happened to be ahead of the curve before everyone else realized it: being a hot take machine is far more financially lucrative than grinding it out on the local beat.

E: Holy poo poo I just realized Skip is 65 years old. God only knows what his monthly hair dye/Botox budget looks like.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 25, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Benne posted:

Yeah, Skip used to be a legit reporter back in the day. He was on the ground floor of the SMU scandal and had genuinely insightful things to say on the Pony Excess documentary.

He just happened to be ahead of the curve before everyone else realized it: being a hot take machine is far more financially lucrative than grinding it out on the local beat.

E: Holy poo poo I just realized Skip is 65 years old. God only knows what his monthly hair dye/Botox budget looks like.

He may be 65, but he's Carrot Top levels of jacked.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Man is this true. He was awesome on Pony Excess.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How does Skip not sell "Spicy Hot Take" salsa or something with his brother

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

How does Skip not sell "Spicy Hot Take" salsa or something with his brother

I'm pretty sure Skip distanced himself from his whole family. He drat sure did from his abusive dad but I thought he just got clear of everyone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like every other right thinking person on earth, Rick hates Skip

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Need more evidence that sports journalists are entitled whiny little shits? Well here, have 2 reporters getting pissed off that an SI for Kids reporter actually had a good question

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I was watching the wrap up show last night and they showed the video of the press conference and as soon as the kid asked the question, my first thought was "holy poo poo that's a really good question".

It's amazing how reporters sniff their own farts so often and for so long that they can't even realize that they're terrible at their jobs and a loving kid asked a better question than any of them have in years.

I very rarely get worked up over stupid "controversies" but this has me seething with rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Our buddy Chris Mueller said the guy was probably mad the kid didn't start his question with "Talk about..."