Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In the not too distant future top prospects are going to quit halfway through the season after they put out enough good tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

In the not too distant future top prospects are going to quit halfway through the season after they put out enough good tape.

This makes sense to me . Don't know why they bother after November. They are risking everything for the school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Schools will eventually start yanking scholarships if that happens with enough frequency.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TBeats posted:

Schools will eventually start yanking scholarships if that happens with enough frequency.

Oh no not my useless degree

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TBeats posted:

What would that accomplish .

Their season is already over and they probably left the school.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

corn elder is the best funny name but bug howard is probably the best old school throwback nickname. gump hayes is probably going undrafted but that's another good name

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ahhh the ole Carson Wentz.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TBeats posted:

Whatever kills the NCAA fastest is good in my eyes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I can't really fathom a world where the Jaguars pass on Mitchell Trubisky, a funny-named bust that Looks the Part.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

euphronius posted:

This makes sense to me . Don't know why they bother after November. They are risking everything for the school.

Can't wait to see the top Ohio State prospects clown all over the MAC and the Big10 bottom feeders before getting phantom injuries before the bowl games.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is this a Mitchell callback

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Chichevache posted:

Whatever kills the NCAA fastest is good in my eyes.

I'd rather the NFL die, honestly.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

The jets are going to draft him and he's going to be Bad.

Nah, Jets are gonna stick to their guns and hope Christian Hackenburg can suddenly throw an accurate pass. Then next year, when there are actual good QB's to draft and the Jets have the 1st overall pick, they'll take a defense linemen because they haven't "given Hackenburg a chance".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'd rather the NFL die, honestly.

At least the nfl pays the players it maims and abuses. :shrug:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Chichevache posted:

At least the nfl pays the players it maims and abuses. :shrug:

Why would the NCAA (or any governing body) ever enter into an agreement to pay people who can just be like "gently caress it I'm not gonna."

If anything the ability to sit because you'll be making bank next year is a case against paying college athletes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Theoretically that applies to the pros as well.

I assume your contract is going to wording dealing with that kind of thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Theoretically that applies to the pros as well.

I assume your contract is going to wording dealing with that kind of thing.

I guess I wasn't clear in my point.

As long as college athletes can sit out games because of the money they will make next year, why would any governing body agree to put a system in place that pays them this year?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The two players I want the most with the Chiefs 1st round pick are Pat Mahomes or Hassan Reddick

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The NCAA could just put a rule in place that screws college players. Just put in a clause that if you're on scholarship you're required to play all games you're able. It's not like they have any problem exploiting them as is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The NCAA could just put a rule in place that screws college players. Just put in a clause that if you're on scholarship you're required to play all games you're able. It's not like they have any problem exploiting them as is.

or what, they lose their scholarship? This doesn't really address the "problem" of players deciding to sit out once they think they've shown enough to be drafted.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ches Neckbeard posted:

How would you enforce that?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

TBeats posted:

How would you enforce that?

I mean, the obvious answer is that you can't, but there's a solid chance it would gently caress with players' draft stock due to "character concerns"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
College athletes sitting out games is, in my opinion, something you can't really make a rule against because there's no way to enforce it.

And to be honest I think there's more arguments for a draft prospect sitting out than for them playing.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Just have the NFL enforce it by making them sit that many games. Wouldn't be new.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

TBeats posted:

And to be honest I think there's more arguments for a draft prospect sitting out than for them playing.

yeah jake butt is probably out $millions, long term, because of his knee injury. why would you play any non-playoff bowl game if those are the stakes

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TBeats posted:

Why would the NCAA (or any governing body) ever enter into an agreement to pay people who can just be like "gently caress it I'm not gonna."

If anything the ability to sit because you'll be making bank next year is a case against paying college athletes.

The vast majority of them don't have that option. Maybe 20 or 30 superstars a year could get away with it. The rest of them, the ones who deserve a paycheck because they're loving up their bodies with zero future beyond "Wichita Car Salesman of the Year", will still play for the same reasons they've always played: pride and love of the game. And a paycheck. Because those billions shouldn't all go to line some other cocksucker's pockets. That would be unamerican.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TBeats posted:

I guess I wasn't clear in my point.

As long as college athletes can sit out games because of the money they will make next year, why would any governing body agree to put a system in place that pays them this year?

My point is paying the players effectively makes them pros so the issue would disappear especially with the rookie pay scale in place.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Chichevache posted:

The vast majority of them don't have that option. Maybe 20 or 30 superstars a year could get away with it. The rest of them, the ones who deserve a paycheck because they're loving up their bodies with zero future beyond "Wichita Car Salesman of the Year", will still play for the same reasons they've always played: pride and love of the game. And a paycheck. Because those billions shouldn't all go to line some other cocksucker's pockets. That would be unamerican.

I don't know. That sounds about as American as it gets.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Yep and it's gonna suck for the evaluation process. I hope they don't do something really stupid and push back the 3 year rule to 2 or 1 and end up with 19 year olds getting legitimately murdered by a linebacker.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

or what, they lose their scholarship? This doesn't really address the "problem" of players deciding to sit out once they think they've shown enough to be drafted.

Players owe percentage back to the school for each game they decide to sit. Toss in some contractual paper work. Welcome to american the country where you can be forced into legally binding arbitration for literally anything long as there's a clause baked into the paperwork to ensure payment is forced. There'd never be enough backlash against the NCAA to stop it.

The Big Jesus posted:

Just have the NFL enforce it by making them sit that many games. Wouldn't be new.

Something I could see the NFL being amenable to doing as well.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Players owe percentage back to the school for each game they decide to sit. Toss in some contractual paper work. Welcome to american the country where you can be forced into legally binding arbitration for literally anything long as there's a clause baked into the paperwork to ensure payment is forced. There'd never be enough backlash against the NCAA to stop it.

What percent should they pay back that would actually make a difference to a guy deciding to sit because he is looking down the barrel of several million?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Big Jesus posted:

Eh I can't see owners agreeing to a policy that might result in them having to bench their highly touted draft pick for half a season

I could see them instituting some kind of payscale decrease where you're bound to the payscale for a pick like 10-20 below where you were actually taken if you're a first rounder? Or maybe you get stuck on a team for an extra season before getting to FA

I don't know, spitballing

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 21, 2017

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

TBeats posted:

What percent should they pay back that would actually make a difference to a guy deciding to sit because he is looking down the barrel of several million?

Good point. Pay back the whole thing. I'm really just thinking up despicable things I could imagine the NFL/NCAA doing.

Like Intruder I'm spitballing.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
McCaffrey and Fournette sat out lovely bowls because they're RBs (devalued in draft, and short careers) with lots of game tape already.

their example won't spread wide because other players will want to improve their draft stock and/or their teams will have more on the line.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no they will charge them for the value for one year of an acc education if they leave early.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Thats a good way to make the incidence of migraines skyrocket among college football players.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ragle posted:

McCaffrey and Fournette sat out lovely bowls because they're RBs (devalued in draft, and short careers) with lots of game tape already.

their example won't spread wide because other players will want to improve their draft stock and/or their teams will have more on the line.

They were also both injured on and off throughout the year, so it's not like two perfectly healthy dudes who decided to sit on the bench and watch. That extra month of time to get healthy is a big deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fournette exposed himself to debilitating injury for no reason. No idea why he played this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

euphronius posted:

Fournette exposed himself to debilitating injury for no reason. No idea why he played this year.

If he was that mercenary about his future he'd have gone to Alabama and not LSU. He wanted to play in purple and gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why do players want to play football?

• Locked thread