Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Death By The Blues posted:

Wasn't crazy about Sing Street, main character was bit of a Mary Sue

He's definitely the weakest link among the characters but I feel like he's buoyed by the rest of the cast around him. He has fantastic chemistry with Lucy Boynton and Jack Reynor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

married but discreet posted:

I think I'm finally old enough to relate to Seinfeld problems. Not the problems of Jerry Seinfeld, who is a very rich man, but TV Seinfeld.

Here's a Seinfeld problem: In Norway the term "make-up sex" in a Seinfeld episode was translated in a very literal way, making a generation of Norwegians very confused.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

in case any of you broke goons needs a new idea to get money:
https://www.wired.com/2013/03/ipo-man/

article from 2013 but its crazy

Desperately need a follow-up on what happened with his last girlfriend who was trying to acquire as many shares as possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Desperately need a follow-up on what happened with his last girlfriend who was trying to acquire as many shares as possible.

Yeah I want to know if she got controlling interest. His site is still up and he's currently trading at $4/share, lol. If she got controlling interest they are in a hell of a weird dom/sub relationship

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

in case any of you broke goons needs a new idea to get money:
https://www.wired.com/2013/03/ipo-man/

article from 2013 but its crazy

Using this for a screenplay pls don't steal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

Using this for a screenplay pls don't steal

If you buy enough shares in the guy you can make him write it for you and take on debt to fund it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gorman Thomas posted:

The Night They Raided Minsky's kinda owns with all these crash zooms on leering and befuddled 1920s men. Working my way through Friedkin's oeuvre after reading his autobiography.

That's the one Friedkin gap for me, that and the Sonny and Cher tv movie he did.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

My wife had an unexpected day off yesterday and my freelance work is kind of dry at the moment, so we watched a bunch of random poo poo on Netflix and Prime yesterday.

- Life, Animated was a really touching look at how the classic Disney animated films helped an autistic young man break out of his shell and actually become verbal and living on his own. Good movie but it kind of feels like a paean to Disney by the halfway mark -- almost relentlessly praising the way the company is so brazenly consumerist. Still worth a watch.

- Sing Street was so, so, so loving good, holy poo poo.

Drive It Like You Stole It has pretty much been in my head for the last year nonstop. It pleases me that Sing Street has gone down well with non-Americans non-Irish, although I have my issues with John Carney. I'm sure the eventual musical will make more $$$$$ for him just like Once, though

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 21, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I want to know if she got controlling interest. His site is still up and he's currently trading at $4/share, lol. If she got controlling interest they are in a hell of a weird dom/sub relationship

Looks like he's currently dating someone who has 220 of the 9,000 some odd voting shares, making them the 7th highest stock holder, they're stock is dwarfed by the highest stock holder at 1200 shares. Using non specific gender because he seems to be straight, but the article mentions that he'll go out with dudes if the stock holders vote for it, so who knows how he identifies 4 years later.

Back in February there was apparently a vote on whether or not to crowd source erotic fan fiction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I drew a babby. I missed drawing stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Looks like he's currently dating someone who has 220 of the 9,000 some odd voting shares, making them the 7th highest stock holder, they're stock is dwarfed by the highest stock holder at 1200 shares. Using non specific gender because he seems to be straight, but the article mentions that he'll go out with dudes if the stock holders vote for it, so who knows how he identifies 4 years later.

Back in February there was apparently a vote on whether or not to crowd source erotic fan fiction.

I pulled up one of the votes and mentions the gf by name and it was the second gf in the article. True love :3:

e: whoever aaron is spent way too much money on this guy

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 21, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I have possibly a dumb question/idea: is there such a thing as queersploitation/exploigaytion movies? I feel like that would be an interesting experiment, as I know there's definitely a market for more diverse LGBTQ fare. Similar to how the untapped market for black films led to the blaxploitation movement.

CelticPredator posted:

I drew a babby. I missed drawing stuff.

robocopilikeit.mp4

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There's a fair share of lesbian vampire movies out there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What elements would have to be present to define it as an exploitation movie rather than just a movie with LGBT people in it?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

It's called findom, financial domination.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
David DeCoteau?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a fair share of lesbian vampire movies out there.

The Vampire Lovers is excellent.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm pretty sure Rocky Horror is queersploitation.

Also the original Walking Tall is definitely hicksploitation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ron Jeremy films are dicksploitation.

I just wanted to say "dicksploitation"...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I have possibly a dumb question/idea: is there such a thing as queersploitation/exploigaytion movies? I feel like that would be an interesting experiment, as I know there's definitely a market for more diverse LGBTQ fare. Similar to how the untapped market for black films led to the blaxploitation movement.

I mean yes but most of the examples I'm familiar with are basically exoticizing gay people in media mostly meant for straight folks' consumption, which may or may not fit the definition you have in mind

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's called findom, financial domination.

This is beyond findom imo. She would have actually bought the person not just controlled their financials. This is like autonomy domination, or actual slavery

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean yes but most of the examples I'm familiar with are basically exoticizing gay people in media mostly meant for straight folks' consumption, which may or may not fit the definition you have in mind

lol this

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Waters and Bruce laBruce make some very gay exploitation films.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I meant more like schlocky/trashy movies where LGBTQ people are the protagonists. Like an asexual detective movie, a revenge movie where trans woman avenges the death of her nonbinary partner, a bisexual summer camp romp.

Edit: and I mean explicitly LGBTQ, not merely coded.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I meant more like schlocky/trashy movies where LGBTQ people are the protagonists. Like an asexual detective movie, a revenge movie where trans woman avenges the death of her nonbinary partner, a bisexual summer camp romp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvFghizDWj4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fine, Tangerine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does Neon Demon count?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

This is beyond findom imo. She would have actually bought the person not just controlled their financials. This is like autonomy domination, or actual slavery

Getting people to pay you for something that's completely unenforceable because unconstitutional seems either really clever or like a really good way to get reamed for fraud

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
So Long Suburbia is a legit indie (like indie indie) LGBTQ coming of age movie that's not made for straights

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Getting people to pay you for something that's completely unenforceable because unconstitutional seems either really clever or like a really good way to get reamed for fraud

tbf the guy is extremely committed. he let his board decide his vasectomy fate and who he should date.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bruce La Bruce's The Raspberry Reich has a scene in which a gay urban guerrilla gives a gun a blowjob while slogans like "Heterosexuality is the opiate of the masses" appear on screen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Pink Flamingos

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Please don't watch this movie it is bad

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Curse of the Queerwolf and more recently, Chillerama could be categorized as queersploitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGUCX53u90I

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've never seen any of them, but the 1313 series may be what he's going for. They are a bunch of sci-fi/horror movies but I'm not sure if the characters are explicitly gay or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

e: whoever aaron is spent way too much money on this guy

If KmikeyM kicks the bucket he'll double his money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hard to say what would be queersploitation. I think John Waters and Bruce La Bruce would be easy layups but what about Lydia Lunch's films, for example. Born In Flames?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
e: nm

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 21, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So Skull Island is makin' me re-watch Kong movies and I finally got back to Kong '76 and, I've got to say, it's at least as good as the '33 original, and probably still preferable to the still decent Peter Jackson miniseries. It definitely slots up with King Kong Escapes and Skull Island a lot better.

Is it because it's silly? 'Cause Superman is silly, and Kong '76 is basically done in the same style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hard to say what would be queersploitation. I think John Waters and Bruce La Bruce would be easy layups but what about Lydia Lunch's films, for example. Born In Flames?

Queersploitation is one of those things that I think is still yet to completely come out in the wash and be its own thing, so to speak -- there's so much in the '70s and especially '80s that is rather blatantly gay cinema, like Nightmare on Elm Street 2, but gently caress if I know what the best examples are outside of Waters. Maybe Waters himself would know -- he's pretty responsive on Twitter.

• Locked thread