Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Patter Song posted:

On the one hand, he gets to be known as "The Grand Historian" for all time.

On the other hand, he's best remembered for getting castrated.

Does castration come with tenure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So I'm actually on vacation in Rome right now, which has been all sorts of fun. Today I did the Forum, and I have a (possibly dumb) question: how exactly does a part of a city just get buried? Especially a region that was once so central. I mean that both practically - where does all the stuff to bury it come from - and theoretically - how does a continuously occupied region just sort of fade away under a few dozen feet of dirt?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Due to people being dicks, basically. In the early middle ages most of the structures were dismantled and reshuffled to build castles, and in the late middle ages these were torn down and the placed used as a dumping ground. The combination of debris and garbage are probably what caused the rising ground levels.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm not sure about Rome but in cities in the Middle-East, that happened because they were actively occupied for a long time. Buildings are pulled down or collapse, and people rebuild right on top of the rubble. Do that for a couple thousand years and you've got a tell.

And I think a sizable part of ancient Rome was in the Tiber's flood plain. Probably the part of the city were the lower class insulae were? But also definitely the Forum since it used to be marshland. When the city's population shrank, the remaining inhabitants would have lived on higher ground. Floods would have helped bury the Forum once it was abandoned.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

So I'm actually on vacation in Rome right now, which has been all sorts of fun. Today I did the Forum, and I have a (possibly dumb) question: how exactly does a part of a city just get buried? Especially a region that was once so central. I mean that both practically - where does all the stuff to bury it come from - and theoretically - how does a continuously occupied region just sort of fade away under a few dozen feet of dirt?

Before trash collection, people dumped whatever wherever, and you build whatever on top of whatever was there before, whether it was a building or a trash heap. For example, if you build a house where a different house used to be, you fill in with other debris until it's level, rather than removing what's there, and voila: you have buried a ruin under your house. Repeat over a couple thousand years and you have many layers of city.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I recall Herodotus writing something about Finns living in holes in the ground and being the lowest form of human life.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Even relatively modern cities end up built that way. Especially when you have cities built where there were originally lots of hills and valleys, it's not uncommon in the least to lop off the tops of hills and dump it into the valleys, often over existing buildings that have been partially stripped for materials and bam - nice level land to build your new stuff on.

Or you have stuff like Seattle or Chicago where the "land" level of the downtown was intentionally raised with fill, turning floors that used to be ground level into a new basement in buildings that stayed standing, and burying the foundations and low floors of other buildings entirely, which later had new buildings built on top. In Seattle in particular, the new ground level was as high as 30 feet above the old, meaning old low lying buildings were often just abandoned during the process - particularly since the idea to raise the ground level came in the aftermath of a large fire in the city that had already ruined tons of the buildings in question.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's easy to believe the world is a static place which stays the same year in and year out

give her enough time however and the earth inevitably relieves us of such assumptions.

It doesn't just take a disaster. I visited an abandoned house by a small creek recently, probably vacated in the late seventies or eighties. We had pictures of a family out grilling on a big brick barbecue which was at least four or five feet tall taken probably in the sixties or seventies, today it stuck just a foot or so out of the floodplain.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

I recall Herodotus writing something about Finns living in holes in the ground and being the lowest form of human life.

So his stories really were based on fact?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Even relatively modern cities end up built that way. Especially when you have cities built where there were originally lots of hills and valleys, it's not uncommon in the least to lop off the tops of hills and dump it into the valleys, often over existing buildings that have been partially stripped for materials and bam - nice level land to build your new stuff on.

Or you have stuff like Seattle or Chicago where the "land" level of the downtown was intentionally raised with fill, turning floors that used to be ground level into a new basement in buildings that stayed standing, and burying the foundations and low floors of other buildings entirely, which later had new buildings built on top. In Seattle in particular, the new ground level was as high as 30 feet above the old, meaning old low lying buildings were often just abandoned during the process - particularly since the idea to raise the ground level came in the aftermath of a large fire in the city that had already ruined tons of the buildings in question.

And you can go on a kickass tour of the old Seattle sitting beneath the current one

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reykjavík has a museum built around the ruins of a 9th century longhouse which is a few meters below street level.

Part of the museum is a cross section of the layers of earth to highlight the so called settlement layer, a layer which all of the oldest archaeological remains in Iceland are either slightly above or below. The layer is heavy in ash due to a volcanic erruption and since we know that erruption occured in the late 9th century it is used to date the settlement of Iceland. Which is to say 867 AD give or take 2 years.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

When I was there last month, the National Roman Museum (right up the hill!) had a good primer on just how it happened in the Archaeology and Me exhibit (if it's still there). Highly recommend stopping by if you have the time, really cool restoration of a roman villa up on the top floor.

http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-museum-palazzo-massimo-alle-terme

edit: it's not just overbuild either, Mussolini demolished some big rear end hills to get at the bulk of the Forum sites, I think part of the issue with the abandonment of the forums was because of some sewage-based flooding that occurred during the 12th century, but I forgot the specifics.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 20, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Immanentized posted:

When I was there last month, the National Roman Museum (right up the hill!) had a good primer on just how it happened in the Archaeology and Me exhibit (if it's still there). Highly recommend stopping by if you have the time, really cool restoration of a roman villa up on the top floor.

http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-museum-palazzo-massimo-alle-terme

edit: it's not just overbuild either, Mussolini demolished some big rear end hills to get at the bulk of the Forum sites, I think part of the issue with the abandonment of the forums was because of some sewage-based flooding that occurred during the 12th century, but I forgot the specifics.

Much of Rome suffered frequent floods throughout history, and floods inevitably put down huge quantities of mud and sewage. For example one flood of Florence in 1966 left behind more than 600,000 tons of debris, in places up to a meter thick. Cleaning that kind of mess up by hand is no easy task.

Here's a painting of one Roman flood from the 19th century.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Belgrade gets razed on average once every 50 years or so, and has been doing so since around 3rd century BC. You can say that the city was built on top of rich Belgrade deposits. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ein Sexmonster posted:

So his stories really were based on fact?

Hey, only some Finns ever lived in holes. Most spent the night submerged in bogs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hey, only some Finns ever lived in holes. Most spent the night submerged in bogs.

The rent on those holes is outrageous

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

These subtleties always get lost in transmission.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

JaucheCharly posted:

That might have been Tacitus.

quote:

"In wonderful savageness live the nation of the Fenni, and in beastly poverty, destitute of arms, of horses, and of homes; their food, the common herbs; their apparel, skins; their bed, the earth; their only hope in their arrows, which for want of iron they point with bones. Their common support they have from the chase, women as well as men; for with these the former wander up and down, and crave a portion of the prey. Nor other shelter have they even for their babes, against the violence of tempests and ravening beasts, than to cover them with the branches of trees twisted together; this a reception for the old men, and hither resort the young. Such a condition they judge more happy than the painful occupation of cultivating the ground, than the labour of rearing houses, than the agitations of hope and fear attending the defense of their own property or the seizing that of others. Secure against the designs of men, secure against the malignity of the Gods, they have accomplished a thing of infinite difficulty; that to them nothing remains even to be wished."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Venice has a problem now that it's sinking, and it's had that problem for centuries, even before rising sea levels, because it's built on mud. Previous generations just kept building up as the city went down.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lord Hydronium posted:

Since you're in Rome, do yourself a favor and visit the Crypta Balbi museum, which is literally about exactly that. It takes you through the history of part of a block, from the 1st century theater of Balbus, through the Middle Ages, and to the present day. It's amazing, and massively undervisited.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Venice has a problem now that it's sinking, and it's had that problem for centuries, even before rising sea levels, because it's built on mud. Previous generations just kept building up as the city went down.

It's super weird to watch water seep up from the ground in st marks square

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Venetians of days gone by wouldn't have let things get so bad, they would have figured out a solution and then sailed off and stolen it from a neighbor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mythomanic posted:

It's super weird to watch water seep up from the ground in st marks square
according to some article i read, if you jump rope in the lowest neighborhoods in new orleans, you can feel the waterlogged earth tremble like a drumskin you just punched

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 21, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grevling posted:

That might have been Tacitus.
hold on, in that they have fully mastered Stoicism, they seem like the highest form of human life

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HEY GAIL posted:

hold on, in that they have fully mastered Stoicism, they seem like the highest form of human life

Stoicism looks a lot more noble when you have slaves to ignore.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Venetians of days gone by wouldn't have let things get so bad, they would have figured out a solution and then sailed off and stolen it from a neighbor.

I laughed

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HEY GAIL posted:

according to some article i read, if you jump rope in the lowest neighborhoods in new orleans, you can feel the waterlogged earth tremble like a drumskin you just punched

You have the link? I'm pretty skeptical.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Testaccio

There's always the "build a mountain of trash" option.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for all the explanations! It's still slightly hard to picture, but I think part of that is wrapping my head around the timescales involved - the timespan from the height of the city to even the early Middle Ages is many times longer than the entire history of my country (:911:). The fact that people were moving away from the Forum area as the population shrank helps explain a lot too.

Today was my last day (I'm in Venice now), so unfortunately despite the suggestions I wasn't able to check out all the places mentioned. I was leaving from Termini and had some time to kill, though, so I was able to pop into the National Museum across the street and look at all the statues and frescoes, which was pretty neat. Art history isn't normally my thing, but the evolution of artistic styles from the early Imperial era to late antiquity was quite interesting to see.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulmont posted:

You have the link? I'm pretty skeptical.
i've been trying to find it, it's in a New Yorker article on a really important levee system they have protecting an industrial center in southern Louisiana but i forgot the title

it's rad that that's down there, imagine if venice were also the ruhr and that's southern Louisiana. i mean, you can't expect people not to put that poo poo at the mouth of the biggest river we have...

edit: here it is, "The Control of Nature," 1987.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya

quote:

Torrential rains fall on New Orleans—enough to cause flash floods inside the municipal walls. The water has nowhere to go. Left on its own, it would form a lake, rising inexorably from one level of the economy to the next. So it has to be pumped out. Every drop of rain that falls on New Orleans evaporates or is pumped out. Its removal lowers the water table and accelerates the city’s subsidence. Where marshes have been drained to create tracts for new housing, ground will shrink, too. People buy landfill to keep up with the Joneses. In the words of Bob Fairless, of the New Orleans District engineers, “It’s almost an annual spring ritual to get a load of dirt and fill in the low spots on your lawn.” A child jumping up and down on such a lawn can cause the earth to move under another child, on the far side of the lawn.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 21, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

i've been trying to find it, it's in a New Yorker article on a really important levee system they have protecting an industrial center in southern Louisiana but i forgot the title

it's rad that that's down there, imagine if venice were also the ruhr and that's southern Louisiana. i mean, you can't expect people not to put that poo poo at the mouth of the biggest river we have...

This phenomena is called soil liquefaction.

To see an example of it occurring as described in the article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6W2aP2dkA

When you have a kind of soil called quick clay it can appear solid and stable for years or decades. Until a seemingly insignificant trigger like a pile of construction debris slumping into a lake induces a phase change, and suddenly thousands of tons of mud are rushing downhill in an unstoppable flood

Examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTzn2IGRVhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluJQEppoFw (There's an extended version of this explaining the physics and extent of the disaster which you can find in the related videos)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the foolish man built his house upon sand, and then venice and new orleans built their houses upon pudding

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HEY GAIL posted:

Ahh, ok. So during the really rainy season. I'll buy that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FAUXTON posted:

Naples already did that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

the foolish man built his house upon sand, and then venice and new orleans built their houses upon pudding

New Orleans then pumped the oil out from underneath itself so it would sink even more.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

This noble tradition lives on in both Iowa and Virginia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

New Orleans then pumped the oil out from underneath itself so it would sink even more.
imagine if venice had oil

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAIL posted:

imagine if venice had oil

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HEY GAIL posted:

This is a great article and everyone should read it even it its like a small book.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoutPatrol posted:

This is a great article and everyone should read it even it its like a small book.

Goddamn yeah. Best read I've had in a while.

And lol adios New Orleans :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Gout Patrol, i think by your avatar that you are Australian--New Yorker is an American magazine that's full of great articles like that, and about half of them are available on the internet without a subscription

it's hard to pick a favorite part of that article but i'd have to say imagining the accents of the people involved