Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kwyndig posted:

I'm going to politely decline and leave it at that.

Oh, thank goodness.

you see the first part is determining whether or not your beholder is a mage-

Squidster posted:

On the note of Dogs & Dragons, the comics anthology I work on did a short story about monsters playing D&D called Dundas & Dragons, and you might enjoy it. God knows I miss the days of being able to casually roll dice.

Thanks, this was really cute. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
In other news, Wizards has recently declared GaleForceNine to be their licensee to bring localized versions of DnD5E into local languages (German, French, etc.).
Why now, or this particular company? I have no idea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

This is just a foot in the door for that 4chan monster princess thing, isn't it? Fess up.

Towergirls is cultural appropriation of the Monster Girl Subgenre

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mr.Misfit posted:

In other news, Wizards has recently declared GaleForceNine to be their licensee to bring localized versions of DnD5E into local languages (German, French, etc.).
Why now, or this particular company? I have no idea.

GF9 has produced a number of supplemental items in the past, including the current 5e spell cards. They're also owned by BattleFront, who does work in a number of languages afaik.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/843760929682538496

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't link this dude's tweets

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

A One True Wayer, I see.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

This is just a foot in the door for that 4chan monster princess thing, isn't it? Fess up.

Tower Girls is one of those things that is both really interesting but also really drat weird

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

someone's not open to experimentation

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

someone's not open to experimentation

Beholders don't poop and reproduce by dreaming so I am very afraid of what that orifice could be for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mango sentinel posted:

Beholders don't poop and reproduce by dreaming so I am very afraid of what that orifice could be for.

Propulsion.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I hope it makes the Jetsons car sound.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well not with that attitude

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hold my beer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Kill-gently caress-marry: a beholder, a mind flayer, or a red dragon. Discuss.

My choices are my own, fool!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 21, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta say, those closed eyes come across as a bit unfortunate, if topical.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I don't like where this thread went so I'm quoting this for the new page

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I would like to remind everyone that Spellbound Kingdoms has great gear lists

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I would like to remind everyone that Spellbound Kingdoms has great gear lists

i'm the petrified head

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NachtSieger posted:

i'm the petrified head

I'm very honored to meet you. You're an awesome weapon

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

That is honestly way better than anything I envisioned

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Holy poo poo I'd never seen Spellbound Kingdoms before this is insane.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Fashion is also vital to the courtly intrigue half of the game

Your gem-encrusted tortoise will always be there for you in hard times

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm a fan of the hollow glass eye you can keep a cricket in. That's got to be great for breaking awkward silences.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Fashion is also vital to the courtly intrigue half of the game

Your gem-encrusted tortoise will always be there for you in hard times

I'm Occassional

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

I'm Occassional

How gauche!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Antivehicular posted:

I'm a fan of the hollow glass eye you can keep a cricket in. That's got to be great for breaking awkward silences.
Huh, I got that mixed up with the wooden ball and thought they meant hollow for playing a game of Cricket.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm very honored to meet you. You're an awesome weapon

This hella owns.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms is one of those games that really, really deserves to be better known than it is. Basically every page is gold.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's not all goofy gimmick stuff either, but a pretty fun swashbuckling pulp game with a great system of branching combat maneuvers. And all the classes manage to be sufficiently interesting and epic as they level, even the warrior class ends up filling every expectation you'd have for the fighty-man. Meanwhile, wizards either have to be part of the elite ruling class you're set up to overthrow, or they're hunted like the vermin they are for being walking nuclear bombs.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm loving sick and tired of everyone parading around D&D 5e like it's not got the name of one of the skeeviest cretins on the face of this planet in the credits. It's like a video game that said "with thanks to gamergate" on the main menu, except for some reason otherwise rational people think it's the only video game in existence and everyone should be playing it.

Every drat day this hobby, this industry, just gets progressively worse and worse. Maybe it's just the being-awake-at-3am thing right now, but I'm starting to hate it. Like, viscerally hate it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Fuego Fish posted:

It's like a video game that said "with thanks to gamergate" on the main menu

This is a very apt simile that I'm going to try to remember for my own future use.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm loving sick and tired of everyone parading around D&D 5e like it's not got the name of one of the skeeviest cretins on the face of this planet in the credits. It's like a video game that said "with thanks to gamergate" on the main menu, except for some reason otherwise rational people think it's the only video game in existence and everyone should be playing it.

Every drat day this hobby, this industry, just gets progressively worse and worse. Maybe it's just the being-awake-at-3am thing right now, but I'm starting to hate it. Like, viscerally hate it.

I'm disappointed with a lot of the decisions made during its development and with the final rules, too, but 5e isn't comparable to gamergate at all. The entire consultancy thing has no impact on anyone outside of internet groups who already recognize names in the credits of the book. D&D has a level of market saturation that makes it nearly impossible for anyone's first RPG experience to be something besides D&D or maaaybe another bloated legacy game like Vampire or Shadowrun unless they happen to know the small sliver of people who are enthusiastic about smaller indie games.

You could get mad at the squalid masses for buying Monopoly over Gloomhaven, too, but it's just as fruitless and says just as little about the political or social leanings of a rando who has no idea about the complex Google+/forums/twitter drama of a small niche hobby. It's the newest thing, and every other facet of society says that's what you should be buying.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm disappointed with a lot of the decisions made during its development and with the final rules, too, but 5e isn't comparable to gamergate at all.

both lead to marginalized people losing their livelihoods and fearing for their safety at the hands of abusers leveraging large groups of people into harassing them enmasse and they both stem from a misplaced sense of territorial elitism so I think they're pretty comparable

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Reene posted:

both lead to marginalized people losing their livelihoods and fearing for their safety at the hands of abusers leveraging large groups of people into harassing them enmasse and they both stem from a misplaced sense of territorial elitism so I think they're pretty comparable

The implicit endorsement of Zak and Tarnowski through the consultancy and the response to the outcry of it was awful and wrong, but the ongoing existence of 5e and people getting interested in it from completely unrelated sources doesn't lead to the ongoing harassment of vulnerable minorities... as far as I'm aware. The ongoing existence of Zak and Tarnowski does, and they should be called out on that, of course.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

The rear end in a top hat in question pisses me off too, but he differs in kind from gamergate. Gamergate is big, loud and transparently, pathetically, political. Zak is largely just an abusive, self-aggrandizing snake of a person. Neither is good, but I can understand it when people don't cotton onto the latter, especially when they're only peripherally involved in the hobby.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I get the feeling that if you told people "oh yeah, the D&D 5e PHB gives special thanks to a white supremacist" there would be a lot more loud discourse along the lines of "what the gently caress" and maybe even some actual blowback in WotC's direction.

But since it's just a guy who organises harassment campaigns against vulnerable people because they disagree with his views on elfgames, whoops lol who cares let's just play the fun caster supremacy game and have a wacky ol' time without thinking too much about how WotC has essentially endorsed ruining people's lives as being A-OK.

I mean, it's probably safe to say The Adventure Zone would not be running 5e if it listed David Duke as a consultant. Even though it's "just" a consultant credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Haystack posted:

The rear end in a top hat in question pisses me off too, but he differs in kind from gamergate. Gamergate is big, loud and transparently, pathetically, political. Zak is largely just an abusive, self-aggrandizing snake of a person. Neither is good, but I can understand it when people don't cotton onto the latter, especially when they're only peripherally involved in the hobby.

Both Zak and Tarnowski have framed their poo poo as political and you cannot call them peripherally involved in the hobby when they have their names on the most iconic product in the entire hobby and have made a living doing poo poo related to the hobby.

Just because one got bigger and hurt more people than the other does not mean they do not have a lot in common and nitpicking this point is deliberately missing the forest for the trees.

• Locked thread