Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How cool is this - 1/4 scale KoW using 10mm miniatures: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14182.0.html

HerrBrau posted:

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Multi-basing is something I've considered, but haven't decided on. I definitely like the rank and file aesthetic and would definitely lean toward the "preferred model count" if not the max, but a little variation looks good too - I dig those goblin bases. I think goblins or orcs will be my second army.

Any recommendations for bases and/or movement trays?

If you're in the UK then warbases are good. A happy medium might be to get a bunch of 40mm (or 50mm for large infantry) bases and use those as 'fillers' around which you place normal troops - that way you can bulk out at will with the fillers, or backfill with troops on individual bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wow, there are loads of people doing it - this might be an interesting project:

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2016/04/23/kings-of-war-2nd-in-10mm-15mm-part-1/
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?764658-Painting-15mm-Miniatures

'Historical' wargaming base sizes (i.e. 40mm x 10mm) seem to dove tail directly in - and one could simply use CM instead of inches and be right as rain.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

If you're in the UK then warbases are good. A happy medium might be to get a bunch of 40mm (or 50mm for large infantry) bases and use those as 'fillers' around which you place normal troops - that way you can bulk out at will with the fillers, or backfill with troops on individual bases.

As a heads up if you're using Warbases, they advertise the slotted movement trays (designed for the round integral bases on older KOW figs) in the Movement Trays section, but if you want to multibase you're actually after their Premier Bases for KOW - http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1151

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

As a heads up if you're using Warbases, they advertise the slotted movement trays (designed for the round integral bases on older KOW figs) in the Movement Trays section, but if you want to multibase you're actually after their Premier Bases for KOW - http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1151

Interesting, I was fairly certain I could order plain 100mm x 40mm (and 100mm x 80mm) square regimental bases, but I can't seem to find them. I guess the premium ones include a lip?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I don't think they're lipped, I think it's just what they're calling their slotless movement trays. May be worth contacting them. If they are lipless and are just the sizes specified I can see myself ordering a bunch when I get around to traying up my DOW.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Mantic plastic bases are nice because you can use them either as a multi-base or as a tray. The lip is pretty thin so it doesn't alter the dimensions too much and they can be cut down into regiment or troop sizes from horde sized pretty easy. I think only large infantry and large cavalry can't use the bases, but Mantic still have their old MDF bases available for those sizes.

Edit:

Here's an example of how I did some removable multi-basing.

It works well enough.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 8, 2017

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Southern Heel posted:

Interesting, I was fairly certain I could order plain 100mm x 40mm (and 100mm x 80mm) square regimental bases, but I can't seem to find them. I guess the premium ones include a lip?

If you want anything from them and can't find it, just email them. They're really helpful - they've done tons of custom work for me - Car Wars turning keys, TANKS movement arrows, weird base/tray sizes - based only on emailed descriptions or MSPaint sketches. Not pricy, either, it's in line with their regular retail prices.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sorry yes if it wasn't clear I DID order plain bases of various sizes and contacted them after for some adjustments. Agreed on all fronts.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Warpath/Firefight rules are up and for sale, with into deals: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath.html

At this point I might only get the rules compendium, since the intro deal is heavily focused on troops. I overbought my deadzone troops so I have plenty of infantry. I was hoping for a package deal on vehicles/striders/artillery etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

I was hoping for a package deal on vehicles/striders/artillery etc.

I'm sure there will be, I mean the new vehicles aren't even on sale at all yet; I fully expect them all to appear as singles, and the long traditional Mantic discounted triples, at some point in the future. Waiting for additional stock maybe?

e: The rulebooks are all preorders with an April 22 ship date anyway, so still plenty of water to come

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sure there will be, I mean the new vehicles aren't even on sale at all yet; I fully expect them all to appear as singles, and the long traditional Mantic discounted triples, at some point in the future. Waiting for additional stock maybe?

e: The rulebooks are all preorders with an April 22 ship date anyway, so still plenty of water to come

That's good, I frickin' love the enforcer strider.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Seldom Posts posted:

That's good, I frickin' love the enforcer strider.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nice! Can you actually deploy it with the shield like that or is it a mod?

Also like the tint on the glassed one, looks great!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

The one with the shield is the Ajax Siege Strider, it's a special fit for the Enforcers

Developed during the Trotanic war, the GR95
model Strider, commonly known as the ‘Ajax’
variant, was developed to help corporate
forces break through armoured chokepoints.
The Ajax has been up-armoured and uses
smoke rounds and a heavy ‘Aggressor’ shield,
essentially a reinforced and upscaled version
of the Defender, to help it survive extended
time under fire. Its grav-ram spear can
deliver a colossal amount of force to a defined
area or launch individual spearheads a short
distance against moving targets. Given
time, the Ajax can reduce even the strongest
structure or armour to rubble and wreckage

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 10, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Seldom Posts posted:

I'll likely never play with it though because it feels incredibly fragile. The shield and spear are metal and connect at the elbows and I'm sure a stiff breeze would blow it apart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's what pinning is for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know. I just didn't feel like it and the bond feels pretty secure. If it falls apart I'll go back and pin it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That's what methyl ethyl ketone is for.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

That's what methyl ethyl ketone is for.
Doing the job right after huffing ground glass fails to ruin you fast enough?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm down to 5 Brokkrs, 18 Steel Warriors, 10 Enforcers, and 10 Pathfinders to paint. Everything else from my 3 battleforces is painted. Well, I'm still waiting on my Asterian tank, but that could be next year from the sounds of it.

I think my plan right now is to get a single Forge Father tank and then wait and see if anything else interesting comes out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pierzak posted:

You have to admit it's good at its job whether you're connecting different plastics together or slowly killing yourself

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pierzak posted:

MEK is literally the same solvent that gets repackaged as Plastic Weld or Testor's Liquid Plastic Cement, except you can buy a quart of it for $10 instead of 2oz for $7

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Silhouette posted:

MEK is literally the same solvent that gets repackaged as Plastic Weld or Testor's Liquid Plastic Cement, except you can buy a quart of it for $10 instead of 2oz for $7

gently caress that poo poo, SCIGRIP all the way. I buy from them so I can get the viscosity I prefer. Scigrip 16 in a LDPE bottle for "precision" application is the best thing in the world for gluing restic, unless you're trying to bond to metal. Go for Scigrip 3 if you are fast though.

Seriously though if you use this stuff the bond will be stronger than the plastic you applied it to.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This is the first I've heard of plastic cement being especially unpleasant for you; I thought it was just a "don't sniff glue and work somewhere ventilated" kind of thing?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm down to 5 Brokkrs, 18 Steel Warriors, 10 Enforcers, and 10 Pathfinders to paint. Everything else from my 3 battleforces is painted. Well, I'm still waiting on my Asterian tank, but that could be next year from the sounds of it.

I think my plan right now is to get a single Forge Father tank and then wait and see if anything else interesting comes out.

Just hard plastic infantry from here forward. Then Test of Honor in less than two weeks. And my baby just started walking. :shepicide:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just hard plastic infantry from here forward. Then Test of Honor in less than two weeks. And my baby just started walking. :shepicide:

If watching my friends has taught me anything it's that you're about to trade in 90% of your hobby time for constant frustration occasionally interrupted by limitless pride and joy. So congrats on temporarily not being a huge nerd or something and having the time of your life I guess.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

High shelves

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

NTRabbit posted:

High shelves

Lockable miniatures cases.

Or some sort of 50 shades style room that the kids are kept out of.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

Or some sort of 50 shades style room that the kids are kept out of.

I have pets. I had to do this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

I have pets. I had to do this.

Yeah if my cat had made the jump between countries and didn't end up living with my in-laws I would have to rethink my current storage. As is, my miniatures are on fairly inaccessible shelves. I'd take a picture, but this week my phone and my backup phone both gave up the ghost, which means all the adorable walking around and hugging my legs my kid is doing is going unfilmed. This is personally a shame, but when he's princeps of a reunified Republic of China, it will only fuel the legend that he sprung forth fully formed from the tomb of Cao Cao to bring peace and stability to the Middle Kingdom.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

signalnoise posted:

If watching my friends has taught me anything it's that you're about to trade in 90% of your hobby time for constant frustration occasionally interrupted by limitless pride and joy.

This is true

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So Dreadball 2 is apparently done as far as rules go but is slipping a few months due to a production issue getting the new moulds made.

Expected to ship 'late October'. So probably November or December I guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
9 more Steel Warriors. Just 9 more. My eyeballs are going to fall out behind a torrent of purple blood.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Finished the Forge Fathers. Once my phone is repaired I'll take some snapshots of the completed host. I looked at the Warpath rules and now I'm even more confused why Black Talons were only sent as a pair when you have to have 5 to use them in Warpath. At least in Firefight I can get away with using Ten'ur Go as a third Black Talon to get the squad completed.

And just for fun I did a model tally this evening since I had nothing primed and it was too late to go spray anything on my balcony (loving mosquitoes sneaking inside). Since I got back into the hobby about a year and a half ago, I'll have painted nearly 560 models once I finished off my last few Enforcers. That number is never going to be precise or representative because obviously cavalry is counted as 1 when it could be counted as 2 and likewise a chariot is 1 as well.

I should probably spend more time with my family.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm really tentatively looking at Pike and Shotte as a multi-based regimental wargame and Kingdoms of Men seems a good fit - infact with one of the starter sets from Warlord I can end up with three regiments of hand cannons, three troops of light cavalry, and at least one if not two regiments of heavy pike.

The main issue is that the bases are 40mm x 40mm with four-to-a-base - so a regiment would be 80mm x 40mm instead of 100mm x 40mm. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a huge issue, if one accepts that there's a slightly wider 'virtual' frontage, and that units can't get up totally snug with one another. 82 figures plus a rulebook that is broadly compatible with KoW units for £55 ? Not too terrible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Southern Heel posted:

I'm really tentatively looking at Pike and Shotte as a multi-based regimental wargame and Kingdoms of Men seems a good fit - infact with one of the starter sets from Warlord I can end up with three regiments of hand cannons, three troops of light cavalry, and at least one if not two regiments of heavy pike.

The main issue is that the bases are 40mm x 40mm with four-to-a-base - so a regiment would be 80mm x 40mm instead of 100mm x 40mm. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a huge issue, if one accepts that there's a slightly wider 'virtual' frontage, and that units can't get up totally snug with one another. 82 figures plus a rulebook that is broadly compatible with KoW units for £55 ? Not too terrible.

You can always buy the properly sized Kings of War trays and set your Pike and Shotte bases in them for games of KoW. Or if you don't actually intend to play Pike and Shotte, just glue the P&S models to the KoW trays from the start.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

What Atlas said. Just put the two 40x40 bases on a tray of the correct size.

Alternately, halve some bases to 20x40 and add them in if you want the full number of minis, and put them together again if you play P&S.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hey Daedleh, if you really want some of the old Nightmares now turned Maligni and can't find any, I think I have a baggie or two of them here to trade if you're interested?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Remember to check your FAQs folks. My Enforcer Strider does not have scout no matter how badly I wish it did and I can't get an It Burns! attack on my opponent's deployment zone on my first action.

But boy was it fun while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Remember to check your FAQs folks. My Enforcer Strider does not have scout no matter how badly I wish it did and I can't get an It Burns! attack on my opponent's deployment zone on my first action.

But boy was it fun while it lasted.

Speaking of which

ITS TIME FOR MY SEMI-ANNUAL REQUEST FOR BATTLESCRIBE REPO ASSISTANCE

I will teach you how to make a battlescribe repo in exchange for you helping me make the repos for current deadzone and warpath. I have MOST of the legwork done already. I just need a collaborator. PM me if interested.