Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That Killing Joke recolor downgrades the vibe from "hellish fever dream" to "a bit spooky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Violator posted:

My GoogleFu is failing me, what did they do to Do the Right Thing? Any examples?

Removed the orange

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

That Killing Joke recolor downgrades the vibe from "hellish fever dream" to "a bit spooky".

I will go to my grave harping on how they hosed up the cover of it. It's a tiny change that completely changes the tone of the image.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tom Cruise intentionally plans and personally executes death-defying action sequences because he knows he cannot die.

He is forever. OT Level VIII members and above are impervious to harm.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty much the same as re-releasing a classic old song but replacing one of the musicians. It becomes a different work of art. "Eh, that drummer is a bit too 60s for modern audiences, replace it with a drum machine and slow it down 20%."

Didn't Ozzy do that on Crazy Train? Redub the original drummer and bassist with whoever was in his band at the time?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

”Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I will go to my grave harping on how they hosed up the cover of it. It's a tiny change that completely changes the tone of the image.

The exclamation point? yeah

The new colors and title don't help either though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hollywood shouldn't have made a Ghost in the Shell movie.

They should have rebooted Ghost in the Machine, instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't Ozzy do that on Crazy Train? Redub the original drummer and bassist with whoever was in his band at the time?

Ozzy did it on the first two solo albums so that he didn't have to pay royalties to Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fuckin A, this is almost as bad as what they did to Do The Right Thing or Flex Mentallo.

Or Lord of the Rings blues. Still have my dvd's because of that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

The exclamation point? yeah

The new colors and title don't help either though.

The new colors are such an obvious fuckup that it's depressing to think about. But yes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I think the bigger sin in the examples posted was someone trying to "update" Kirby's look with those colours. Kirby's artwork is well outside the idea of dated and the idea that it can be be "modernized" is a joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Madkal posted:

I think the bigger sin in the examples posted was someone trying to "update" Kirby's look with those colours. Kirby's artwork is well outside the idea of dated and the idea that it can be be "modernized" is a joke.

You might even say he developed that style in part around the limitations of 4 color printing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're updating the colours to be so different, may as well just re-draw the drat thing.

Also one of those Kirby pages is Romita Jr.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

Actually, Kawajiri directed Program, with the samurai woman fighting her turncoat lover. World Record is Takeshi Koike, who brought us Redline. They have similar art styles and Madhouse, Kawajiri's studio, was responsible for both.

Go look it up. Koike directed World Record, but Kawajiri is credited as writing it, per Wikipedia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

If you're updating the colours to be so different, may as well just re-draw the drat thing.

The recoloured Marvel Star Wars comic looks so bizarre with lovingly detailed and accurate colours over the wacky hastily-drawn 1977 line art and randomly changed dialogue. If they're changing the art so much that they really may as well have redone it.

Lobok posted:

Also one of those Kirby pages is Romita Jr.

D'oh, of course it is! :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 22, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
What were they even doing with that smoke?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A producer for World War Z 2 claims that they already have a script they are very happy with, and they are actually hopeful that David Fincher (who expressed interest in directing it) will get the job.

Regarding a sequel that is already releasing this year, Woody Harrelson said he insisted on being cast as an ape in War of The Planet of The Apes.

quote:

I tried. I mean I tried everything. And they were like, 'No, you're human.' I'm like, 'No, ape.' They're, 'No, human.' And it went back and forth like that for a while. It was just brutal, brutal.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

A producer for World War Z 2 claims that they already have a script they are very happy with, and they are actually hopeful that David Fincher (who expressed interest in directing it) will get the job.

Regarding a sequel that is already releasing this year, Woody Harrelson said he insisted on being cast as an ape in War of The Planet of The Apes.

Woody Harrelson is a strange, wonderful man.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman: The Killing Joke:

The Incal:

I was gonna say I'm glad I have the original Killing Joke, but that recolouring on The Incal is the joke that killed me. gently caress.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
BLANDER! I NEED ALL OF THIS BLANDER!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I wonder what Jodorowsky's face was like when they told him about that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I was an A-list actor I'd insist on highly specific bit parts in blockbusters too

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

I wonder what Jodorowsky's face was like when they told him about that.

Probably the same mixture of wisdom and madness it's been since 1962

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Ozzy did it on the first two solo albums so that he didn't have to pay royalties to Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake.

I knew he did that, but I thought that it was a second round of "remasters" for the 90's remasters. Either way, it just proves how lovely Ozzy has always been.

Something similar happened with Megadeth's remaster of Rust in Peace, although if I recall correctly it had something to do with parts of the original recordings being lost or unusable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

I was gonna say I'm glad I have the original Killing Joke, but that recolouring on The Incal is the joke that killed me. gently caress.

Luckily they've massaged over that little bit of awful history by re-releasing The Incal in a terrific hardcover a few years ago, original colors in tact.

I'm actually all for releasing alternate colors for comics, as long as both versions remain available. I'd love to see a bunch of the horrible 90s to early 2000s airbrush-shaded comics released with beautiful modern colors. I can't read a lot of "classics" from that era because the style turns me off so completely.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 22, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Except for the killing joke I have never seen any recolored comic books out in the wild like that.I need to knw how to avoid them. I really want to read Flex Mentallo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Except for the killing joke I have never seen any recolored comic books out in the wild like that.I need to knw how to avoid them. I really want to read Flex Mentallo.

It's a shame that the original coloring is hard to find cheaply because it was out of print for years before it was reissued.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

What were they even doing with that smoke?

In the Star Wars panels? The original art has smoke that makes it look like someone's burning burgers on the barbeque and the new art has... huge jizz stains on the walls.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9n3gJRrHhk

I mean, I like the robo-spider-geishas and practical head explosions, but that's about it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lobok posted:

huge jizz stains on the walls.

Darth Vader! Only you could be so bold!

*heavy breathing*

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

He should have pulled a Sean Young and stalked the director in a monkey suit of his own design.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Dear Woody Harrelson,

Humans are apes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ALFbrot posted:

Dear Woody Harrelson,

Humans are apes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So we have a trailer for Netflix's Death Note adaptation.

It looks a little silly and notably more expensive than I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I dig it, the Babadook at the end got me to shiver

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I dig it, the Babadook at the end got me to shiver

It's a shinigami.
:goonsay:

I can't get over how perfect casting Willem Dafoe for that role is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm hoping that Dafoe is Ryuk with no CG. It's just him in the suit, with little makeup.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping that Dafoe is Ryuk with no CG. It's just him in the suit, with little makeup sweatpants.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9n3gJRrHhk

I mean, I like the robo-spider-geishas and practical head explosions, but that's about it.

It has a good look, lots of eye candy, which doesn't necessarily make for good film. Would never have picked Pilou Asbęk for his role, but he looks the part. But I'm finding that flesh-coloured camo-suit real male-gazey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

I knew he did that, but I thought that it was a second round of "remasters" for the 90's remasters. Either way, it just proves how lovely Ozzy has always been.

Something similar happened with Megadeth's remaster of Rust in Peace, although if I recall correctly it had something to do with parts of the original recordings being lost or unusable.

Those were for the 2004 remasters, but they ended up restoring the original bass and drum tracks for the 30th anniversary releases because everyone loving hated the re-recordings. As for Megadeth, yeah a few vocal tracks were lost so they had to re-record them (I think "Five Magics" and "Lucretia" were the two big ones).

• Locked thread