Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kashuno posted:

Seiken Densetsu games coming to Switch fuckin owns.

I was about to complain that we'll never get it in the states but hell yes easy international eshops

I mean it'll basically be impossible to play through 3 without a guide but I did it when I was 16 so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Only if you open it which is tedious and voids your warranty.

Dr Cheeto posted:

IFixit posted a teardown and they had the battery out in pretty short order, but it's clearly not designed to be user-replaceable, definitely voids your warranty, and I don't know where you'd get a replacement in the first place.

Oh cool, good to know that Nintendo designed their device so that your warranty is voided if you replace a part that degrades relatively quickly and actually should be replaced over time.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Oh cool, good to know that Nintendo designed their device so that your warranty is voided if you replace a part that degrades and actually should be replaced over time.

Yes, that nefarious Nintendo, always looking to nickel and dime the little guy, unlike any other hardware manufacturer on earth

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kashuno posted:

Seiken Densetsu games coming to Switch fuckin owns.

I know it's not coming to Switch but was that second Final Fantasy Adventure remake any good? Better than god awful Sword of Mana?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Oh cool, good to know that Nintendo designed their device so that your warranty is voided if you replace a part that degrades relatively quickly and actually should be replaced over time.

You can just send it to Nintendo to replace lmfao stop trying to just be mad idiot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Yes, that nefarious Nintendo, always looking to nickel and dime the little guy, unlike any other hardware manufacturer on earth

I was going to say something like this but turns out that you can easily replace the battery on any DS/3DS and Nintendo has guides on how to do it and they sell official replacement batteries.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Ok good point. Other manufacturers have screwed over customers too so now there's a precedent for it and therefore I should be the one who's embarrassed about not happily bending over and getting screwed by planned obsolescence design.

Also congrats on being able to be just fine with buying a whole new Switch when you battery begins to only last 20 minutes at a time. But hey at least you'll get an excuse to play all those great games again when you lose your saves though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Ok good point. Other manufacturers have screwed over customers too so now there's a precedent for it and therefore I should be the one who's embarrassed about not happily bending over and getting screwed by planned obsolescence design.

Also congrats on being able to be just fine with buying a whole new Switch when you battery begins to only last 20 minutes at a time. But hey at least you'll get an excuse to play all those great games again when you lose your saves though.

Please read before posting in the future namaste

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GreatGreen posted:

It's the same story with most phones and tablets on the market today, I'm afraid.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kashuno posted:

You can just send it to Nintendo to replace lmfao stop trying to just be mad idiot.

Awesome, can't wait to pay for a new battery + 5 billed hours of labor + shipping both ways idiot.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
how come nintendo didn't just use a battery that never goes bad ever and never dies either HMMMM???

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Who cares about warranty when it would probably be up by the time you would need to replace the battery anyway. If it isn't, then just have Nintendo replace it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I like my switch dock, I just wish it didn't feel so flimsy. I also expected it to be more as well but whatevs.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How long is the warranty? I didn't read anything while I was unboxing my Zelda machine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

whaley posted:

how come nintendo didn't just use a battery that never goes bad ever and never dies either HMMMM???

Good point. If only Nintendo wasn't forced at gunpoint to make the switch with a battery that's not designed for the user to access and replace, and then also void the warranty just in case somebody figures out how to do it anyway.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome, can't wait to pay for a new battery + 5 billed hours of labor + shipping both ways idiot.

I had my entire wii u gamepad replaced by Nintendo outside of warranty for like $75, I doubt the battery wil be that expensive.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Bloodstained is coming to the Switch. Guess I need to switch *winkwink* my Kickstarter order.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Who cares about warranty when it would probably be up by the time you would need to replace the battery anyway. If it isn't, then just have Nintendo replace it.

True, but why couldn't it be user replaceable like the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nope, not maxed but with the Wifi on and volume all the way.

eBay within a couple months I bet.

Ah, I had the volume below 50% I think

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Engineering constraints on mobile devices are very tight, friend. It would have been very difficult to design a proper battery bay while still using the back cover as a heat sink without making the device fatter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah, I had the volume below 50% I think

Which is for the best, the speakers on the Switch are terrible anyway at full volume. Might as well just use headphones at lower volume for it to sound better.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

True, but why couldn't it be user replaceable like the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS?

Short version is, electronics are designed with heat dissipation in mind. If the optimal way to keep heated elements separated is through the use of ribbon cables, the manufacturer is not going to be ok with allowing consumers to tinker with it, because they have this bad habit of loving up ribbon cables and then blaming the manufacturer.

e: As Dr. Cheeto said above, the only way to circumvent this is by giving the electronics more space (making it bulkier) or using more elaborate heat-sinking methods (making it more expensive)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I want a way to mount the dock on a table, maybe there is a homebrew solution like sticky tac

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Spellman posted:

I want a way to mount the dock on a table, maybe there is a homebrew solution like sticky tac

double sided tape. or cut holes in the table and run a couple really long zip ties around the bottom of the dock on either side of the usb-c port mechanism, assuming you want the dock vertical.

But mine barely slides unless I intentionally move it to access the usb port to charge my Pro controller.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not a Children posted:

Short version is, electronics are designed with heat dissipation in mind. If the optimal way to keep heated elements separated is through the use of ribbon cables, the manufacturer is not going to be ok with allowing consumers to tinker with it, because they have this bad habit of loving up ribbon cables and then blaming the manufacturer.

e: As Dr. Cheeto said above, the only way to circumvent this is by giving the electronics more space (making it bulkier) or using more elaborate heat-sinking methods (making it more expensive)

That's bullshit because you could just have the ribbon cable terminate with contacts so the user wouldn't have to mess about with it, basically how the 3DS does it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not a Children posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here, but I think the shorter version is that Nintendo rushed the Switch out and didn't really take time to consider things like battery replacement.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here, but I think the shorter version is that Nintendo rushed the Switch out and didn't really take time to consider things like battery replacement.

I don't think they intentionally rushed anything on the Switch, as a difficult-to-replace-battery is not all that uncommon on even higher end cellphones. Sometimes decisions like this are to add to the perceived sleekness factor, in that less easily removable parts makes the console look more solid and less complicated. It's obviously infuriating to people who want to customize or have the freedom to repair their own devices, but Nintendo doesn't want you tinkering with their hardware, typically

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's bullshit because you could just have the ribbon cable terminate with contacts so the user wouldn't have to mess about with it, basically how the 3DS does it.

3DS has a big plastic firewall keeping battery-replacing customers away from electronic doodads and extremely modest cooling requirements. If you implemented the same design in the Switch you'd inevitably end up with a fatter design and now you'd have to work out somewhere to dump the heat you were putting into the back of the case.

Ornamented Death posted:

There are a number of things that I think would have been caught and fixed with more QA time (friggin joycon straps!) but most phones and tablets on the market don't have a battery bay for a reason.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Managed to snag a switch during a 2 minute window of availability on Best Buy online yesterday and just got the shipping confirmation. I was gonna hit up a local Target or Gamestop today to get Zelda.

Is the Switch Pro controller worthwhile if I can find one? Any other worthwhile accessories (again, assuming I can find any?)

Edit: aside from a microsd card, I ordered a 128GB one from Amazon that should last plenty long.

ssb fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 21, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
maybe i'm part of the problem but I don't really give that much of a poo poo about a console with an 8/10 repair score on ifixit having a battery that i may need to replace once every several years needing a screwdriver to get at and having that replacement void the warranty that'll probably be long over the first time i need to do it anyways

but i mean if that's your hill to die on more power to you, i guess the switch actually sucks or something

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

shortspecialbus posted:

Is the Switch Pro controller worthwhile if I can find one?

Yes

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

maybe i'm part of the problem but I don't really give that much of a poo poo about a console with an 8/10 repair score on ifixit having a battery that i may need to replace once every several years needing a screwdriver to get at and having that replacement void the warranty that'll probably be long over the first time i need to do it anyways

but i mean if that's your hill to die on more power to you, i guess the switch actually sucks or something

Exactly. It would make the device bigger. It's not at all hard to replace. You would only do it after the warranty period is up anyway. And you will maybe do it once (if that) in the entire life of the system. gently caress off with "ANTI CONSUMER BLAH BLAH BLAH" poo poo. It's nonsense.

e: I've been looking for a pro controller almost daily since launch. Still don't have one. This is getting rather frustrating.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Cheeto posted:

3DS has a big plastic firewall keeping battery-replacing customers away from electronic doodads and extremely modest cooling requirements. If you implemented the same design in the Switch you'd inevitably end up with a fatter design and now you'd have to work out somewhere to dump the heat you were putting into the back of the case.

By "big plastic firewall" you mean a thin piece of plastic?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dr Cheeto posted:

How long is the warranty? I didn't read anything while I was unboxing my Zelda machine.

Don't remember if I saw mine when unboxing, but it's usually one year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

shortspecialbus posted:

Is the Switch Pro controller worthwhile if I can find one?

Yes, especially if you're interesting in using it as a PC controller too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Is it pretty certain gamestop is getting some more in stock for tomorrow? I ask because we can get some discounted gift cards but I'm not that much of a gambler.

Edit: that is, in non bundle form.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 21, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Is it pretty certain gamestop is getting some more in stock for tomorrow? I ask because we can get some discounted gift cards but I'm not that much of a gambler.

I've heard both yes and no. Apparently Best Buy's website had them briefly for yesterday and they already shipped. Going to be checking a few stores tomorrow myself. Good luck.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I called my nearby Gamestop today asking about it. He said they're receiving 5 Nintendo Switches tomorrow and considering how many phone calls he's received asking about it, if you just show up at 10am when the store opens you're not gonna get one.

Since I don't feel like camping out Black Friday-style, I guess I'll have to wait.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dang it. Due to circumstances we couldn't afford a preorder, so now that we have the means, we're stuck in the grind. I'll probably still make the rounds tomorrow morning just for kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I got a switch last week for my birthday* and while I was kinda skeptical about it I really really hope this gets more support than the Wii U since it's an amazing little machine. Playing actual, non-mobile, HD games on the go is amazing. Also, Fast RMX is actually good???

* I managed to snag an order online with Best Buy Canada when they were available for all of 30 seconds

• Locked thread