Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Well, here we go again!

http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-america-is-here-and-here-its-three-hosts-1793443905 posted:

With the demise of Top Gear USA, there’s a new American Top Gear coming later this year! This time, though, it’ll be called—wait for it, wait for it—Top Gear America, and will be hosted by actor William Fichtner, drag racer Antron Brown and auto journalist Tom “Wookie” Ford. Can this succeed where Top Gear USA didn’t?

You’ll remember William Fichtner as the badass in films like Armageddon and The Dark Knight. He often plays a strict, reserved character, which makes it interesting that he’ll be hosting what is, essentially, just a show about dudes playing around with cars. Who knows, maybe he’s got a lighter side that I’m not used to seeing.

Alongside Fichtner will be Antron Brown, a world-champion drag racer who we showed a few years ago walking away from a massive explosion on the drag strip.

In addition to the actor and drag racer will be a British auto journalist Tom “Wookie” Ford, who you’ll undoubtedly remember as the dorky bearded guy from Fifth Gear.

So we’ve got a dorky bearded man, a race car driver and a celebrity. Sounds familiar.

All three of the new hosts are supposedly gearheads, so that’s good.

The show will launch on BBC America later this year. The network says it will involve reviews of “exclusive and state-of-the-art vehicles,” as well as old-school quintessential American iron. There will be a leader board for celebrity guests who compete to get the best lap times around the track at Speed Vegas, and, of course, there will be a Stig.

It’s all sorta familiar, except there are three new hosts, and we all know that when it comes to shows like Top Gear, it all comes down to chemistry between the hosts. We’ll see how William, Antron and Tom get along in the eight episodes expected to air later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i wonder if they ever officially fired the old trio or just didn't bother calling them to say they're doing another season.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why do this? TG:USA found it's formula and it worked. The last season could actually be classified as good. Now it sounds like they are going back to the season 1 formula with celeb interviews and studio stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deteriorata posted:

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

I don't know, maybe try watching the review next time or something. Matt specifically says the point of a small sports car is to have instant throttle response and high revs. He says the turbo Fiat has turbo lag which doesn't fit what he just said that type of car needs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

GutBomb posted:

Why do this? TG:USA found it's formula and it worked. The last season could actually be classified as good. Now it sounds like they are going back to the season 1 formula with celeb interviews and studio stuff.

I wish I knew. I really loved TG:US's last couple of seasons.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nerobro posted:

I don't think any production car has sequential turbocharging right now. Using small turbos to minimize lag is a thing, but they're working in parallel, instead of sequential. Or staged. (There was, or may still be, a production over the road truck engine that was staged...)

BMW has two, three, and four turbo sequential configurations on some of their diesels.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Watching the Fiata segment, my wife and I were like "wow, Italy really looks a lot like the canyons in Malibu" and then, welp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I think LeBlanc is very good in the in-car sections: it's obviously scripted, but he is a good actor, so it works well.

The studio still doesn't have the right spark though- it feels like a school play with all the juddering pauses.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
It feels like they all have at least a lingering respect for each other and they need to know, even if only for a few short moments, what it's like to genuinely hate each other to make the show come alive.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just want more melons, sheds, and Volvos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I guess we won't be getting any more "Some people say..." Stig stories?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
In unStig / Grand Tour news, I met "The American" Mike Skinner and his wife Angela on the weekend, they are super nice. I kind of figured this already from watching him in trucks and all, it's almost a shame they make him play such a dick character. He said his favourite car was probably the Vulcan. Angela and I talked about Gin.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Watching the Fiata segment, my wife and I were like "wow, Italy really looks a lot like the canyons in Malibu" and then, welp.

Hell, I live in Ohio and just from watching way too many TST One Take videos I was thinking "that looks familiar" and then the CGI signs confirmed it.

Regardless, that was a drat good episode.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The segment of Sabine bombing around the track was pretty cool in isolation, it just had nothing to do with anything they'd said about the GTI to that point. Everything about the car was terrible, but because Sabine could drive like a bat out of hell in it suddenly it was awesome.

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

I think they criticized the Fiat specifically because the Miata has a small enough engine already. Downsizing from 6.2L to 5L and adding turbos seems reasonable, while going from 2L to 1.4L seems pointless. That's just inference on my part, maybe I'm wrong.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Deteriorata posted:

For what its worth, in Car & Driver's (or maybe it was Road & Track's?) review they also said that they didn't like the engine at all in the Fiat for basically the same reasons: faster on paper (and possibly in a race) but the throttle response and different torque curve spoil the experience. I've also heard anecdotes from people who've turbocharged their Miatas regretting it down the road too.

I like the styling on the Fiat though, so what would I know?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Toe Rag posted:

I think they criticized the Fiat specifically because the Miata has a small enough engine already. Downsizing from 6.2L to 5L and adding turbos seems reasonable, while going from 2L to 1.4L seems pointless. That's just inference on my part, maybe I'm wrong.

Fiat from what I gathered took an engine they already had in the 500 and put a turbo on it then put that into the 124. I am a strange beast but I like the way the 124 looks over the mx5, but booth are cool and the hard top mx5 is super cool. the best 124 is of course one with an ls3 from flying miata. Also doesn't the mx5 have electric steering but the 124 is plain jane hydraulic?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Not Top Gear/Tour related, but Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers. He will be replaced by Ant Anstead.

I'm not familiar with him. What's his story?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not Top Gear/Tour related, but Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers. He will be replaced by Ant Anstead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TP8pav_KSU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Aw man, that sucks. Edd was the only reason I watched that show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

opengl128 posted:

Aw man, that sucks. Edd was the only reason I watched that show.

Hopefully, he'll get his own show.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wargames posted:

Fiat from what I gathered took an engine they already had in the 500 and put a turbo on it then put that into the 124. I am a strange beast but I like the way the 124 looks over the mx5, but booth are cool and the hard top mx5 is super cool. the best 124 is of course one with an ls3 from flying miata. Also doesn't the mx5 have electric steering but the 124 is plain jane hydraulic?
I own a Spider and it's fantastic. I was genuinely curious as to what they would have to say about it and was really pissed that they simply dismissed it out of hand without even considering it, while spouting a bunch of bullshit that wasn't even true.

The 1.4L Multi-air Turbo has been around for several years in the 500. There is no "turbo lag" in it, there's just lack of boost if you let the RPMs drop too low. If you want instant throttle response, stay in a lower gear to keep the revs up. The 124 also has electric assist steering. They're both too numb IMO, although FIAT worked it over to be a bit better in their version. I will refrain from a full comparative review, though.

No, it's not identical to a Miata and it's not supposed to be. They're surprisingly different cars for how much hardware they share. Harris complaining that "it clings to the road too well" was the cherry on top that they were being idiots about it.

And I'm done complaining about it.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Deteriorata posted:

There is no "turbo lag" in it, there's just lack of boost if you let the RPMs drop too low. If you want instant throttle response, stay in a lower gear to keep the revs up.

So there's turbo lag then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

neckbeard posted:

So there's turbo lag then.

No, "turbo lag" generally refers to the time it takes the turbo to spool up when the load changes due to inertia in the turbine. It was a significant problem with early turbo designs. It's not a problem with this one. When it's on boost, it's been measured to respond to throttle changes in less than 0.1 seconds.

No turbo engine is going to give you full power instantly if you tromp on it in 6th gear at 1500 RPM. Downshift to third and get the revs up first. Once you're on boost there's no lag at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deteriorata posted:

No, "turbo lag" generally refers to the time it takes the turbo to spool up when the load changes due to inertia in the turbine. It was a significant problem with early turbo designs. It's not a problem with this one. When it's on boost, it's been measured to respond to throttle changes in less than 0.1 seconds.

No turbo engine is going to give you full power instantly if you tromp on it in 6th gear at 1500 RPM. Downshift to third and get the revs up first. Once you're on boost there's no lag at all.

Any turbo engine will take a bit to spool up the turbos from nothing (aside from cars with antilag), yes. A naturally aspirated engine will have quick throttle response at any RPM. The argument from the film was that because the car has a turbo, instead of being NA like the Miata, there is turbo lag which Matt LeBlanc thinks you shouldn't have on a small car like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, congrats to mike for making it through ed's tenure without getting his fat little head ripped offf.

Ant Anstead is the mechanic from "for the love of cars."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9IdfIq0Rs

He's legitimately legit as gently caress. Ed could be a bit of a hack from time to time, Ant did concourse restorations on shitboxes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, that show was amazing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Deteriorata posted:

The 1.4L Multi-air Turbo has been around for several years in the 500. There is no "turbo lag" in it, there's just lack of boost if you let the RPMs drop too low. If you want instant throttle response, stay in a lower gear to keep the revs up.

And I'm done complaining about it.

That is the definition of boost threshold, where gas flows dictate the generation of pressure above atmospheric. Boost lag the time for the compressor to generate flow with an increase of flow over the turbine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sad to see Edd leave, but Ant is a very professional car restorer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Deteriorata posted:

Harris complaining that "it clings to the road too well" was the cherry on top that they were being idiots about it.

The others covered the turbo thing pretty well so I'll leave that alone, but I think you missed the point here. It's a small RWD roadster. It basically exists to be flung around twisty roads for fun. Sliding is part of that fun. Yes it's slower, who cares? Being too grippy is a legitimate problem in a vehicle where the fun isn't supposed to come from being the fastest thing out there.

Look at how the Toyobarus share OEM tires with the goddamn Prius. It sounds insane on paper but if you've ever driven one you know it's exactly the right choice. The car begs you to kick the rear end end out, and the power to tire ratio is just right that you can do it in a controlled fashion on demand. I think that's what TG was looking for.

On a track of course more grip is always better, but this isn't a track car.

---

That's not to say at all that there's anything wrong with liking your car. I still think it's much better looking and I'm by no means against turbos (my daily is a Fiesta ST), but the complaints they had were legitimate if subjective.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wolrah posted:

Look at how the Toyobarus share OEM tires with the goddamn Prius.

This is largely a misconception. There exists a JDM Prius with a performance package that happens to have the same tires, but that's it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Got the answer about Edd: http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-leaving-wheeler-dealers-because-velocity-w-1793498487

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bull3964 posted:

This is largely a misconception. There exists a JDM Prius with a performance package that happens to have the same tires, but that's it.

Yeah, the OEM summer tires on the 86 are also the OEM tires on some Mercs, not just that "performance" Prius. That being said it's an excellent point though that the car is better for having less grippy tires. I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on mine and roundabouts weren't nearly as fun anymore.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Powershift posted:

Well, congrats to mike for making it through ed's tenure without getting his fat little head ripped offf.

Ant Anstead is the mechanic from "for the love of cars."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9IdfIq0Rs

He's legitimately legit as gently caress. Ed could be a bit of a hack from time to time, Ant did concourse restorations on shitboxes.
I loving love For the Love of Cars. That and Car S.O.S.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have to say I'm enjoying LeBlanc's machinery obsession.

Also looking forward to the Fiat getting panned shortly.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Falken posted:

Car S.O.S.

I love this show. It beats Overhaulin' by a mile because not every car needs a glass-shattering sound system.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love this show. It beats Overhaulin' by a mile because not every car needs a glass-shattering sound system.

But they don't even put two tone paint jobs or foose wheels on them in car SOS

spog
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

Unfortunately, on Velocity’s first attempt at producing the show they found Wheeler Dealers “too difficult to make”, “at least in its current format.”

In particular, the detailed and in depth coverage of my fixes in the workshop; what I consider to be the backbone and USP of the programme, are something Velocity feel should be reduced. The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make and reducing their substance and role in the show will save the production considerable time, effort and therefore money.

However, this new direction is not something I am comfortable with as I feel the corners I was being asked to cut compromised the quality of my work and would erode my integrity as well as that of the show, so I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to let Velocity get on with it, without me.

That's literally what the show was!

They even started reducing the amount of Mike Brewer stuff, to the point where he was just doing an intro and a conclusion and the show was much better for it.

EDIT: watch his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

Bonus points to him for the figurative mike drop and walk out at the end

spog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I haven't watched Wheeler Dealers for years. Did it get better? Because the last time I watched it it was absolutely full of bullshit like claiming they fixed a misfire by changing the gear linkage, and not mentioning that the finished car clearly had a different engine to the one it started with.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sweevo posted:

I haven't watched Wheeler Dealers for years. Did it get better? Because the last time I watched it it was absolutely full of bullshit like claiming they fixed a misfire by changing the gear linkage, and not mentioning that the finished car clearly had a different engine to the one it started with.

In this past season, they even had Mike do some "repairs" in the shop. Very awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I watched my very first episode of New Old New Top Gear (Joey et al) today and ended up watching all three back to back. Other than the studio scenes that feel incredibly unnatural, I loved them all. The GTI/ring scene was great.

Season 1 isn't worth watching at all is it?