Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have any of the reviewers gotten past mom's heart? If there were issues with the port, I wouldn't expect them until after that point.

Toxic Shock and Butt Bombs are wreaking merry havoc with the game, probably because of the filters. Azazel + Butt Bombs + Mutant Spider + No. 2 made it nearly unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Toxic Shock and Butt Bombs are wreaking merry havoc with the game, probably because of the filters. Azazel + Butt Bombs + Mutant Spider + No. 2 made it nearly unplayable.

I knew it. Glad I didn't open my copy yet.:lol:

Is the physical Switch version supposed to be rare? Wondering if I should throw it up on eBay instead of returning it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game and with this much slowdown they'll probably just patch out the screen filters for those abilities, but...be careful what you pick up or you might kill any enjoyment of your victory lap.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the physical Switch version supposed to be rare? Wondering if I should throw it up on eBay instead of returning it.

Anecdotally not rare, but ymmv.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I knew it. Glad I didn't open my copy yet.:lol:

For the record, I've done a run with basically the same setup as that guy and didn't get any slowdown.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deadwing posted:

For the record, I've done a run with basically the same setup as that guy and didn't get any slowdown.

This was also docked and on a TV screen, which I didn't think to rectify at the time, but now I wish I had done a comparison. NEXT RUN

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

gonna give them a call tomorrow so sounds grand!!

$12.50 for a Wii U gamepad AC adapter on the Nintendo store, if you haven't gotten it already.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod400002

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been past Mom's Heart a handful of times in Isaac and haven't gotten any item/combo yet that has caused a single frame drop, including Brimstone (but not with Tammy's Head, I'm looking forward to it!) I'm assuming slowdown is rare, I wouldn't get rid of a first print copy too quickly.

Edit: mostly played in portable mode, docked is good too though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any differences in dock and undocked mode other than resolution?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This was also docked and on a TV screen, which I didn't think to rectify at the time, but now I wish I had done a comparison. NEXT RUN

I was playing in Handheld mode, and essentially had all the stuff you did but Issac was my character model

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any differences in dock and undocked mode other than resolution?

No, although the game does look way better on the Switch's screen due to how much faster its response time is compared to my TV (and the whole "game is a bunch of pixel art" thing.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deadwing posted:

I was playing in Handheld mode, and essentially had all the stuff you did but Issac was my character model

Good news, apparently they added victory laps since the last time I played. (Also I found the slowdown!)

Insert joke about the above being gifs, not still images

I regret that I missed taking pictures of when I got Death's Scythe and a bunch of Tears Up because I tripped across an Explosive Diarrhea pill that brought everything to a near-stop for a good 30 seconds (the middle picture is a bomb).

But yeah the upshot is "you can absolutely slow it to a crawl but you pretty much either have to work at it or accidentally take horrible item combos".

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, there's reviews up for Isaac now. It's a good port that mostly runs at 60fps

Am I wrong in being disappointed by this? My brother's PC that was built in 2010 plays Rebirth at a constant 60 unless you do something stupid like exploiting the blank card to spawn like a thousand pickups in one room.

Oh right, Nicalis. Never mind.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Scratch-O posted:

Pretty much this.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Looks like for this week the US is getting a crummy mobile town building sim game and.. Othello. Literally just othello. Could be worse!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fancy Hat! posted:

Looks like for this week the US is getting a crummy mobile town building sim game and.. Othello. Literally just othello. Could be worse!

Aka just keep playing Breath of the Wild, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master, and Binding of Isaac.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Othello. Literally just othello. Could be worse!
Switch is acknowledged by the gods of shovelware.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Australian eShop loving sucks. If I wanted NeoGeo games I'd just bust out Kawaks or my Wii.

(Also vote Rusty for best dog)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814044&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rirse posted:

Aka just keep playing Breath of the Wild, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master, and Binding of Isaac.

Add Snipperclips and this is literally my Switch library.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Australia doesn't even get Isaac!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Am I wrong in being disappointed by this? My brother's PC that was built in 2010 plays Rebirth at a constant 60 unless you do something stupid like exploiting the blank card to spawn like a thousand pickups in one room.

I hadn't done anything with BoI since Rebirth and not only is it far, far easier now to get exploitative infinite item combos (I'm looking at you, Dice Shard), you can really get the game into massive slowdown states accidentally just by picking up random passives on victory laps.

I mean I guess it is what it is but I don't think the game would be significantly compromised by cutting down on some of those fullscreen graphic filters they like to apply :shrug:

Rirse posted:

aka "Maybe I'll do something productive this week in my free time"

Hopefully we don't end up with the same kind of random content droughts like we did for the 3DS

heh

heheh

heh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hopefully we don't end up with the same kind of random content droughts like we did for the 3DS

heh

heheh

heh

I'm pretty optimistic on that front. The hardware apparently isn't a loving nightmare to code for, and it looks like the Switch is attracting all the mid-tier JRPG/niche developers that the PS3 and Vita survived on with a pretty solid lineup of upcoming titles. It's not like the WiiU's launch where they had a handful of third-party ports at launch and blind hope that more would follow.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Anidav posted:

Australia doesn't even get Isaac!
It's not out in PAL territories yet, but it's supposed to be coming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Isn't us getting bye bye box boy this week too?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Some Japan eShop news.

This week they are getting 2 TG-16 games on the WiiU Virtual Console, Jaseiken Necromancer and Langrisser Kouki no Matsuei (which I think is the PC Engine port of the first Langrisser game?)

There's also a Capcom Spring Sale going on in the Japan eShop right now with the usual stuff (Ace Attorney, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D/Revelations), Mega Man Classics Collection).

Finally, next week the WiiU eShop will be getting Back to Bed, which was released in NA in February and PAL territories in December. It looks a bit like an isometric 3D version of Sleepwalker.

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't us getting bye bye box boy this week too?
Yeah probably.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think we're getting Big Golf Tournament NEO Turf Masters on Switch this week.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/844519040236204032

Unless that's only in Japan, but even then you can just buy it from the Japan eShop. The other ACA NeoGeo games have been released more or less simultaneously in all regions (except the initial batch were delayed by a week in NA for some reason).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I think we're getting Big Golf Tournament NEO Turf Masters on Switch this week.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/844519040236204032

Unless that's only in Japan, but even then you can just buy it from the Japan eShop. The other ACA NeoGeo games have been released more or less simultaneously in all regions (except the initial batch were delayed by a week in NA for some reason).

I know it's a specific company churning them out, but I just think it's kinda weird and cool that the Switch's initial Virtual Console offering has been a range of online-enhanced NEOGEO games. Nevermind getting rare ones like Waku Waku 7 (I assume, I'd never heard of it before).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's nice to see, as far as I can tell Hamster are putting them on Xbone too. The Switch releases are a couple of weeks behind it seems.

On that note, this week the Xbone is getting another fighting game, Fatal Fury: King of Fighters. So I guess expect it on Switch soon also.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know it's a specific company churning them out, but I just think it's kinda weird and cool that the Switch's initial Virtual Console offering has been a range of online-enhanced NEOGEO games. Nevermind getting rare ones like Waku Waku 7 (I assume, I'd never heard of it before).

Square-Enix is also putting out their own Seiken Densetsu collection on Switch instead of relying on the Virtual Console emulation/branding (doesn't seem like they much liked the fixed price-point of the VC), so it really does seem like it's totally open season for third parties to release retro games their own way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And Capcom too with their Disney Afternoon collection.

Wait, what? That's NOT coming to Switch? loving Capcom.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Capcom actually seemed pretty content to dump a huge amount of games onto Wii U VC, so they may decide they still want that to be their Switch approach.

The real nice thing is that this time, if Nintendo decides not to create a VC emulator for a particular retro platform (cough, Genesis), that won't get in the way of the rightsholders doing their own release-- hence the Neo Geo stuff that's already up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also worth noting for Switch owners is that this weekend is the Splatoon 2 free weekend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

parallelodad posted:

And Capcom too with their Disney Afternoon collection.

Wait, what? That's NOT coming to Switch? loving Capcom.

I'd give it a bit of time for Switch versions of anything to come out of third-party developers, because we have no real idea of when they individually got their hands on devkits or have actually done anything with them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Has anyone tried buying anything from Nintendo UK's site?

I was seeing could I get Blaster Master Zero, but when I click on "Proceed To Purchase" nothing happens. Same with FAST RMX.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've just bought stuff from the US site.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah that question was aimed at other Euro/Aus people. I've not tried to buy stuff off the eShop web interface before but I wanted to give it a go out of curiosity.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I noticed it last night when trying to buy Steamworld Heist. Assumed it was my Internet crashing out or something

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hopefully it's just temporary. It's nice to be able to buy stuff while at work and have it download.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Castlevania spiritual sequel, Bloodstained, is cancelled for WiiU and switching to the Switch. If you donated to the kickstarter and chose the WiiU version they will refund your money or switch your platform to whatever you want.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/22/bloodstained-castlevania-nintendo-switch/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

The Castlevania spiritual sequel, Bloodstained, is cancelled for WiiU and switching to the Switch. If you donated to the kickstarter and chose the WiiU version they will refund your money or switch your platform to whatever you want.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/22/bloodstained-castlevania-nintendo-switch/

I wish they would let anyone change it to the Switch. Had I known this is the way it would end up, I would have taken a Switch key instead of a PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I think Playtonic let you change to any platform for Yooka-Laylee regardless of which you initially chose.